KFLLCFII
Topic Author

2 Critically Injured @ FLL After Plane Tire Blows

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:19 am

Two critically injured after plane tire blows up at Lauderdale airport

FORT LAUDERDALE – Two airplane maintenance workers were critically injured Tuesday morning when an aircraft tire they were working on blew up at the international airport.

The two men were rushed to Broward General Medical Center for treatment. Their injuries were described as very serious. The victims were not immediately identified, but Greg Meyer, airport spokesman, said both were veteran employees at for Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport. A third man on the maintenance crew was not injured.

Broward Sheriff's Office spokesman Mike Jachles said the accident occurred around 10 a.m. on the Jetway and involved a tire change. The tire was not attached to an aircraft when it erupted, he said.

Cause of the blown tire was not immediately known, but is under investigation, Jachles said.

"I don't recall the last time something like this happened," the airport's Meyer said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...449.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Condolences to the men and the families.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

flyinryan99

RE: 2 Critically Injured @ FLL After Plane Tire Blows

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:23 am

This same type of thing happened at TOL a couple of years ago. Killed one of the airport maintenance workers since the tire was for a jetway. Sad day at the airport none the less.

KELPkid

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:25 am

GA planes use a split rim...I wonder if airliners do too?

Handling a split rim that's off the axle with an inflated tire on it (truck, tractor, plane) scares the bejeesus out of me...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

aogdesk

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:31 am

Yes, heavy jets have a split room too. Fuse plugs are supposed to protect against dangerous tire explosions, but this doesn't sound like it was a factor.

This serves as a good reminder for proper wheel/tire assy handling. I hope those guys in FLL make it.

F9Animal

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:34 am

Wow. I always felt uncomfortable when maintenance did tire changes on planes. I always wondered if something like that could happen. I send my deepest best wishes for those hurt, and wish for a quick recovery.
I Am A Different Animal!!

JBLUA320

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:35 am

I wonder what airline it was involved... if it is Terminal 1, Gate 2, I'd think Southwest, Continental, Northwest or jetBlue?

Best for a speedy recovery...

JBLU

wjcandee

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:41 am

Although the newspaper article says they were working on an aircraft tire, I'm thinking that this probably was a jetway tire or a tire on an ARFF vehicle or some such. Dept of Aviation employees are usually the guys who fix airport facilities, not airplanes. Given that they say that it happened "on the jetway" and who was involved...I'm betting the reporter got it wrong. I guess we'll see in the follow-up story.

KFLLCFII
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:43 am

Update:

They were later identified as Kevin Scott, 52, of Hollywood, a 20-year Broward County Aviation department employee, who sustained multiple lower extremity fractures; and Richard Hernandez, 49, a 19-year employee, who suffered suffered arm and shoulder injuries.

The third man on the maintenance crew, Jeffrey Jugis, 47, of Hallandale Beach, an 11-year veteran declined EMS transport to the hospital, but later went on his own to get checked out, the Broward Sheriff's Office said.

At the time of the incident, said BSO spokesman Mike Jachles said, there were no aircraft at the passenger boarding bridge. There was no disruption to any passengers or aircraft.

Jachles said the accident occurred around 10 a.m. on the Jetway at Terminal 1, Gate 2 and involved a tire change. The 225-pound tire was not attached to an aircraft when it erupted, he said, soaring 80 feet into the air before slamming into a wall.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...449.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Quoting JBLUA320 (Reply 5):
I wonder what airline it was involved... if it is Terminal 1, Gate 2, I'd think Southwest, Continental, Northwest or jetBlue?

Doesn't say, though, whether it was B2 or C2:

If it's B, it could be AeroMexico, Frontier, Jetblue, or Southwest. If it's C, it could be Continental or JetBlue.

More than likely, based on the positions of both "Gate 2"s, it's going to be either Continental or Southwest.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

KFLLCFII
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 6):
Although the newspaper article says they were working on an aircraft tire, I'm thinking that this probably was a jetway tire

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't jetway tires actually taken from aircraft inventories? If so, the reporter wouldn't be incorrect in this case...but (s)he could have been a little clearer in the reporting.

Either way, it's a moot point. No matter what it is, or where it was from, we still have two fine gentlemen with potentially life-threatening injuries because of it.

wjcandee

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:55 am

Okay, I did some research with the better paper in the area.

It WAS a jetway tire, as I suspected in my post above, not an airplane tire. Some reporters just don't bother to understand what they are reporting when they report it or update it.

Here's what the Miami Herald says:

"BSO said the accident happened at 9:51 a.m. on Jetway C2, a Continental jetway.

The three men -- all of them longtime airport employees -- were working on a wheel for the jetway that connects the terminal to the aircraft, said Greg Meyer, an airport spokesman.

''This is a standard procedure,'' he said. ''They were doing routine work on the expandable piece that connects the airport to the plane. Somehow a tire exploded.'' "

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16688744.htm

KELPkid

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:03 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 8):
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't jetway tires actually taken from aircraft inventories? If so, the reporter wouldn't be incorrect in this case...but (s)he could have been a little clearer in the reporting.

I remember this discussion before in civ/av. I think it depends on the airport...some airports' jetways use aircraft tires that are worn beyond acceptable aircraft usage limits (but still have plenty of life left in them for jetway usage), while others use special dedicated jetway tires.

macc

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:07 am

i always thought that jetway tires were way less pressurized.
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

litz

RE: 2 Critically Injured @ FLL After Plane Tire Bl

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:19 am

Quoting Macc (Reply 11):
i always thought that jetway tires were way less pressurized.

For that matter, don't you depressurize them before moving/handling them (due to the split rims)?

I know I have read several posts on aircraft tire changing, one that's one of the major things mentioned, including using the air in the tire to inflate the jack you use to jack the airplane, jetway, or whatnot. The air's there, it's under pressure, and you're gonna release it anyway ...

I think some Jetways do use retired aircraft tires (usually 737 tires) but even if not, the tires used are similar enough.

No matter how you slice it, they're similarly big, heavy, and dangerous.

The article quoted above stated the tire flew EIGHTY FEET after striking the men, before impacting on the airport terminal wall, so it must have been some kind of violent event.

- litz

aogdesk

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:49 am

Well...a reporter not getting the facts straight when reporting on aviation? Thats a first........ Wink

tlfd29

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:51 pm

Could someone explain what a split rim is? I've never heard of that before. Thanks!

DTWAGENT

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:58 pm

I know that NWA has Gates C8 and C9 and C7. CO has gates at C1, 2 3, 5. And JetBlue was using C4 and 6. That was last friday when I was coming home with a cruise tour group.

chuck

md94

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:59 pm

I guess aircraft split rims are the same as on semi trucks and farm implements, if not then please correct me.

Split rim tires use a split metal ring to hold the wheel together. The metal rings are known to "explode" off the tire if something is not quite right due to the high pressure. These tires are typically handled in large metal "cages" to contain in possible explosion.
72?, 732/3/7/8/9, 763/4, 772/3, 744, 787, MD88/90, F100, 319/20/21, E145/135/175/195, CRJ200/700, B206, 152/72/8

TACAA320

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Thread starter):
Two critically injured after plane tire blows up at Lauderdale airport

Really sad incident at FLL !  frown   frown 
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Baron52ta

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting Tlfd29 (Reply 14):
Could someone explain what a split rim is? I've never heard of that before.

A split rim is as the name say a rim that is cut into parts, in some cases it is disc with two rings which are joined by bolts and nut other are two dish shaped parts which are bolted back to back. Either of these types allow for a deeper flange on the tyre as they are put either side of the tyre and bolted together hence the name split rim.

Hope that helped
david766

FLLspoter

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:27 am

I was there when it happened
It was a SW 737-700
It had winglets
FLL justs gets better and better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JetSet777

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:43 am

speaking of jetway tires, I noticed the tires on all the jetways at CAE for DL look extremely under inflated. I am a ramper there but I never took the time to look at jetway tires at other airports to compare. Is this normal? I realize they probably shouldn't be under the same pressure as aircraft or car tires, but should they look nearly half flat?
Engines Turn Or People Swim

macc

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting Jetset777 (Reply 20):
speaking of jetway tires, I noticed the tires on all the jetways at CAE for DL look extremely under inflated.

that was my impression on all airports I have been. So I was wondering that such a tire would explode...
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

TACAA320

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting FLLspoter (Reply 19):
It was a SW 737-700

Air Namibia???
At FLL?

It had winglets

confused 
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

D L X

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting Litz (Reply 12):
The article quoted above stated the tire flew EIGHTY FEET after striking the men, before impacting on the airport terminal wall, so it must have been some kind of violent event.

I wouldn't take that as gospel. I have no doubt that the event was quite violent, but I don't know how someone could tell just how high the tire went short of having an 80' measuring stick appropriately placed to measure it.

tf39

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:55 am

I wonder if they were removing the tire. I know that when I removed tires off airplanes, you ALWAYS completely deflate them before removing in case there is a leak in between the rims that is being sealed while the wheel is still on the axle. A 100 PSI (or more) might not seem like much but in a big tire, it's deadly. And it's hard telling by just looking at a tire if it's deflated or not, especially if there's alot of weight on it.

bravogolf

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:03 am

Radial bridges, those that pivot only, use aircraft tires that cannot be used for aircraft and are stamped in the sidewall as such. They are inflated to 180 to 200 psi. The one tire that is the drive wheel always looks lower because of the extra weight of the motor and gear case sitting over it.

Baron52ta

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:59 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 22):
Air Namibia???
At FLL

I know he used the wrong designate but I think you will find he meant South West Airlines  cheerful 

FLLspoter

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:09 am

Sorry i used the wrong code
I do that too often
I meant WN And my bad it was a 737-300 With winglets
must be new to have winglets

KELPkid

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 23):
I wouldn't take that as gospel. I have no doubt that the event was quite violent, but I don't know how someone could tell just how high the tire went short of having an 80' measuring stick appropriately placed to measure it.

Maybe the ASR (Airport Surveillance Radar) got a primary return on it? Big grin Don't flame me here, 'tis a joke, but it might be plausible... Wink

Cadet57

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:24 am

I was there when it happened
It was a SW 737-700
It had winglets

No it wasnt. It was a jetway

Quoting FLLspoter (Reply 27):
Sorry i used the wrong code
I do that too often
I meant WN And my bad it was a 737-300 With winglets
must be new to have winglets

The 737-300 is out of production and there is only one 737-300 with winglets. Chances are it was a -700... That said, 13-15 year old at FLL on a Wed morning. hmmmmm, unless you were flying somewhere....
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

litz

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:08 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 23):

Actually, my interpretation was that most of the flight was horizontal - ie: a low-level parabolic flight into the terminal wall, rather than some kind of sky-high imitation of a baseball pop fly ...

That kind of air jetting out a hole in a tire could create quite some thrust.

One episode of the Mythbusters, they wanted to see what kind of energy the escaping air would release if you knocked the valve + stem off the end of a CO2 bottle.

It went through a constructed test cinder block wall, and almost through the re-inforced wall of the building as well. And that was after sliding some 30 feet from their test stand, across a concrete floor.

If you've never seen them, try and find the OSHA videos on gas cannister safety some time .... they are scary .... and the pressures + amounts of gas in those things are lower than what are in these tires.

- litz

FLLspoter

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:58 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 29):
The 737-300 is out of production and there is only one 737-300 with winglets. Chances are it was a -700... That said, 13-15 year old at FLL on a Wed morning. hmmmmm, unless you were flying somewhere....

hey man try the fact that i had they day off  Embarrassment

Cadet57

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:07 am

Quoting FLLspoter (Reply 31):
hey man try the fact that i had they day off

Fair nuff. Still doesnt explain the fact that what you "saw" diddnt actually happen. As it wasnt a WN 737 as I pointed out.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

WDBRR

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:45 pm

Quoting DTWAGENT (Reply 15):
I know that NWA has Gates C8 and C9 and C7. CO has gates at C1, 2 3, 5. And JetBlue was using C4 and 6. That was last friday when I was coming home with a cruise tour group.

You are absolutely correct. I was there last Saturday and went on a "tour"
of the concourse while killing time waiting for my flight back to EWR.

Bummer, JetBlue has to split their operations between C4, C6 and B7, B8 and B9.
maybe eventually they can be consolidated into one concourse. I guess Southwest
does not want to give up gate B6.