WDBRR
Topic Author

Southwest And The Price Is Right

Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:24 pm

I watched the game show "The Price is Right" today here in the US.
they were giving away a vacation from LAX to Washington, DC.
I presume BWI airport...the clip showed a SWA plane and was
courtesy of "Southwest Vacations". I was a little surprised they
used SWA Vacations. is this common? any thoughts?
I guess the game shows have to save money wherever they can.

TransWorldSTL

RE: Southwest And The Price Is Right

Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:32 pm

Quoting WDBRR (Thread starter):
is this common? any thoughts?

I would guess that SWA donated this vacation in return for the exposure they get..

atrude777

Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:46 pm

WN started IAD too so perhaps IAD is the featured Airport, or they could have codeshared with ATA into DCA.

But ya, WN has been shown "ad wise" on a lot of shows I have seen.

I have heard a lot of airlines on Price is Right, AA, Delta, and Air Tran were a few I saw repeated.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:16 pm

Quoting WDBRR (Thread starter):
I was a little surprised they
used SWA Vacations. is this common? any thoughts?

At the end of the show you'll see a list of the companies who've provided "promotional considerations" to the shows. Other terms are used as well for the higher ticket items. The value of the item vs. the airtime it receives plays a lot into whether the item is provided free, or if the company pays an additional fee. A box of Dimetapp used as a prop in the "Now and Then" game might receive the same amount of airtime as a Southwest Vacation given for winning the game, so obviously Dimetapp will be sending some cash and possibly some product for the contestants in return for the exposure.

A great video of what a contestant received in "promotional considerations" after 9 days on Jeopardy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7898841269808149834
International Homo of Mystery

fdex727

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:20 pm

I've even seen FL providing air travel now and again, I believe it was a Disney package.

rikkus67

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:08 am

I've been to the show... IIRC, there are TV monitors where you can watch the product placement while the show is taping live. The term "promotional consideration" is used considerably throughout the show. There are a number of airlines that have used the show for promotional purposes, with American Airlines and Southwest more current...I do believe Delta and Continental have also had product placement...

(NON-AV for a sec....)

In case you wonder about what you have to pay in TAXES (Canadians get a double whammy when playing on an American gameshow) on game show winnings:

$0 - $500 = no tax
$501 - $1000 = 30% tax
$1001 + = 35% tax.

So even if you win that dream vacation with roundtrip airfare, you still have to pay 35% of the cost. This is what has kept the show going. a LOT of winners don't actually take the big prizes!

I wonder how many vacations (Southwest or other airline) they give away on a weekday show playing for, what...6 months of the year?
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

LASoctoberB6

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:20 am

i saw AirTran on some game show about 2 weeks ago, it was in their new livery so i guess it was fresh....
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

galapagapop

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:34 am

They look to be the subject of an upcoming "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery fyi. Just looks like Mike Rowe does some ramp rat work but probably another good publicity spot for WN.

ScottB

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:51 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 2):
I have heard a lot of airlines on Price is Right, AA, Delta, and Air Tran were a few I saw repeated.

I'm showing my age, but back when I was a kid, I remember seeing PSA being mentioned!

CcrlR

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:56 am

Staying on topic:
I noticed that too yesterday. Sometines NWA is used for international destinations. Other Airlines I've heard on there were Alaska, Northwest, Southwest, AirTran, Independence Air(to DC), American Airlines, Asiana, Korean Air, Air Pacific Air Tahiti, Aer Lingus(to DUB). Those are the only ones I know from the years I've heard from. They usually coincide withe the destination for the trip
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)