san747

What's With All The Extra Cargo Flights Into SAN?

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:10 pm

I was doing my usual check of Flytecomm, and noticed a couple odd things. The first- more than one ABX/DHL flight. There were 3 today, the usual 814 (which is the "sleeping giant"), then...

Airline Airborne Express
Flight Number 610
Departure City (Airport) Wilmington, OH (ILN)
Departure Time 02/13/2007 01:54 PM
Arrival City (Airport) San Diego, CA (SAN)
Arrival Time 02/13/2007 03:07 PM
Remaining Flight Time 00:00
Aircraft Type Boeing 767-200
Current Altitude 0 feet
Current Groundspeed 0 mph
Flight Status Arrived

Great timing for taking a picture, I wish I had been down there! And also, this guy came in...

Airline Airborne Express
Flight Number 1725
Departure City (Airport) Wilmington, OH (ILN)
Departure Time 02/13/2007 06:55 PM
Arrival Time 02/13/2007 08:09 PM
Aircraft Type Boeing 767-200
Current Altitude 0 feet
Flight Status Arrived

Also, FedEx had a crapload of flights today, a total of 9. I recognized most of the flight numbers as ones I've seen before at SAN, so I'll focus on 2 flights that stand out-

Airline Federal Express
Flight Number 2574
Departure City (Airport) Lubbock, TX (LBB)
Departure Time 02/13/2007 07:35 AM
Arrival Time 02/13/2007 07:46 AM
Aircraft Type Boeing 727-200
Current Altitude 0 feet
Flight Status Arrived

Airline Federal Express
Flight Number 1840
Departure City (Airport) Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Departure Time 02/14/2007 12:00 AM
Arrival Time 02/14/2007 12:39 AM
Remaining Flight Time 00:39 (planned)
Aircraft Type Airbus A300B4-600
Current Altitude 0 feet
Flight Status Planned

And a couple smaller cargo operators like Royal Air Freight and Five Star Airlines came in, with Dassaults and Cessnas.

My question is, what's the deal? What's so special about the 13th of February that SAN got more cargo flights today than during the Christmas rush?

Thanks much,
san747
Scotty doesn't know...

Silver1SWA
Crew

RE: What's With All The Extra Cargo Flights Into SAN?

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:32 am

Yeah, SAN has seen the return of Fed Ex 727s! My only guess would be Valentines Day? Maybe they are jam packed with flowers?? I know over at WN we have been... haha.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

aerobalance

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:37 am

Quite a few flower orchards (groves?) in northern S.D. County. Could be a flower run.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

antonovman

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:03 am

I did a few cargo flights to SAN a few years ago on the AN124 but can't remember what the cargo was

PanAm747

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:24 am

Quote:
I did a few cargo flights to SAN a few years ago on the AN124 but can't remember what the cargo was

You were probably the one that flew that beauty right over my school in National City!! I have seen that behemoth heading east after lift-off several times...WOW!!  eyepopping 

The Carlsbad Flower Fields are probably empty now...I'm driving up to Bakersfield this Friday (I am SO ready for ExpressJet to start that flight!!) and I'll pass right by...I'll let y'all know.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

stirling

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:18 am

A friend of mine is a sales manager for an enormous flower company based in the San Diego area.
The thing that makes them so big is that they have the contract to supply Wal-Mart and Sam's Clubs.

It is a beautiful thing....they start planting their Valentines Day crop around November, and a few days before V-Day, they begin to harvest. Flowers get loaded on aircraft the day before, going to the sorting hubs before arriving at the stores fresh the day of....

Now, I am guessing that because of overwhelming volume, the freight carriers most likely send in a few extra aircraft to provide additional lift to the usual traffic. I'd also be on the lookout for extra movements around Mother's Day and Easter as well.

This company she works for also does a large amount of business with Colombia....I'd expect maybe the same thing going on in Miami where much of it enters the U.S....but less noticeable since Miami is already a huge port of entry for South American cargo.

I'd ask my friend about the San Diego thing to be certain, if she wasn't so busy this time of year....but I'm pretty certain these extra cargo aircraft are her's.
Delete this User

Eagle11

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:18 am

Quoting Stirling (Reply 5):
Now, I am guessing that because ofrnoverwhelming volume, the freight carriers most likely send in a fewrnextra aircraft to provide additional lift to the usual traffic.

Very interesting.

I'm sure those freighters smelled pretty good after the flight!

Quoting Stirling (Reply 5):
A friend of mine is a sales manager for an enormous flower company based in the San Diego area.

This has got to be his favorite time of year.
"The Eagle has landed"