cle757

CLE Closed Due To Blizzard

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:31 am

CLE has been closed until 1:00 P.M. eastern time, due to snow.
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

hiflyer

RE: CLE Closed Due To Blizzard

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:36 am

ATCSCC 042 CLE/ZOB 02/14/2007 CDM GROUND STOP
CTL ELEMENT: CLE
ELEMENT TYPE: APT
ADL TIME: 1447Z
GROUND STOP PERIOD: 14/1352Z - 14/1800Z
DEP FACILITIES INCLUDED: (2NDTIER+CZY_AP) ZLC ZAU ZMP ZDV ZKC ZME
ZID
ZJX ZOB ZBW ZTL ZNY ZDC CYHZ CYOW CYUL CYYZ
PREVIOUS TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 0/0/0.0
NEW TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 0/0/0.0
PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MEDIUM
REASON: OTHER / COA REQUEST
REMARKS: COA AND BTA FLIGHTS ONLY

Continental and BTA only...

N231YE

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:43 am

Sounds fun...I guess the central de-icing facility opened up at the right time.

N766UA

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:53 am

Wow, we haven't closed for any length of time in years. That's rather a big deal, even if it is just CAL. Glad I'm off today.

[Edited 2007-02-14 16:54:37]
This Website Censors Me

IAHFLYR

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:54 am

Ground stop does not mean closed. The FAA does not open and close airports, only the airport operator is able to do that. I can't find any NOTAM currently that states KCLE airport is closed.  Confused
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

N766UA

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:55 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 4):
I can't find any NOTAM currently that states KCLE airport is closed.

You're right, it's not. It's ground stopped and apparently just CAL has stopped flying. Although, the way the weather looks out my window, I'd bet not much is going on anyway.
This Website Censors Me

luv2fly

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:57 am

WN cancelled all flights until 2:30 pm today.
You can cut the irony with a knife

masseybrown

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:32 am

In Washington, where we had a little bit of snow and freezing rain, DCA just opened at 11:00 AM and IAD is still closed.

luv2fly

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:33 am

Saw on the local 12:00 noon news that the airport is operating though cancellations are the norm and not the exception.

CALMSP

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:58 am

yes, we are operating flights. COEX has pretty much canned almost most lfights.........CAL is operating a limited schedule based on ramp availability

steeler83

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 3):
Wow, we haven't closed for any length of time in years.

What about in the 1993 Superstorm? I know that was the last time PIT closed due to snow. There was 3 feet of snow on the ground at the time! I believe that PIT wasn't alone either, as I believe that pretty much every airport east of the Mississippy River was either delayed or closed. I think the list of closed airports other than PIT were MDT, PHL, all NY area airports, DC-area, BOS, etc...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 10):
What about in the 1993 Superstorm?

THAT one was a beaut. I was stuck in our crew room at the airport from Friday morning to Monday morning. EWR was closed for two and half days. The stories I can tell...

Thankfully, I got to shower when I got to London. Tuesday morning.
You can't cure stupid

steeler83

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:03 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 11):
THAT one was a beaut. I was stuck in our crew room at the airport from Friday morning to Monday morning. EWR was closed for two and half days. The stories I can tell...

Thankfully, I got to shower when I got to London. Tuesday morning.

Sheesh! I remember seeing on the news (providing we even had power. How we had it is a bit of a mistery!!! THREE FEET OF WET SNOW??? That brought down a building in Pittsburgh; the roof of a 3-story apartment building gave way, unfortunately killing three people inside Sad

Anyway, I remember seeing on the news thousands of people stranded at PIT. That was the most snow that fell in a 24-hour period, some 25 inches. Then on top of that, we had another 12-18 inches because the storm lasted more than a day and a half. Schools were closed up to a week!

I wonder how big of a financial dent that put in USAir... At least two of their hubs, PHL and PIT, were completely shut down, and both were pretty large then, too...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:07 am

The airport ran out of food Saturday morning. There were about 2000 people stuck in the airport. We raided aircraft for meals before they took the jetways off because of the hurricane force winds that hit. We used the snow banks outside for refridgeration. We made do downstairs. Had a blast. Made friends for life as a result.
You can't cure stupid

Falcon84

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:47 am

The airport is open. Although COEX is on a groundstop still pending review of the runway/ramp situation at 1600 local. There are a few arrivals coming in, and precious few departures.

The red-eyes from LAS and LAX this morning, took over 1 hour to get to the gate after landing, as it was still snowing heavily, and both got stuck in the snow.

The 9am LAS 753 got off the ground at 1427 local, and is almost 5 hours late into LA$.

It'll be mid-day tomorrow before any normalcy is r estored.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N766UA

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:06 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 10):
What about in the 1993 Superstorm?

That would be why I didn't say "in decades."
This Website Censors Me

lincoln

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 3):
Wow, we haven't closed for any length of time in years. That's rather a big deal, even if it is just CAL. Glad I'm off today.

Quoting N766UA (Reply 5):
You're right, it's not. It's ground stopped and apparently just CAL has stopped flying. Although, the way the weather looks out my window, I'd bet not much is going on anyway.

I know I'm chiming in late here but...based on this morning I'm not suprsed at all. I had to drive down to Dayton and the entire Cleveland area was a mess as far as roads go. I didn't leave my appartment until about 12:30 and...well, even though the snow had stopped [and I had 3'+ on the patio outside my 5th floor appartment] it was downright terifying for this Californian. Couldn't see asphalt, and the direction my tires were pointed had little to do with the direction my car was going -- and I think my top speed until I got south of I76 was around 40 MPH

I can't imagine how an aircraft taking off or landing would fair.

I'm glad to hear that this isn't normal for Cleveland. While I love the city, I don't think I could take much more of this!

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

N766UA

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 16):
I'm glad to hear that this isn't normal for Cleveland

Uh, I'd say this is quite normal. In fact I'm surprised we only got 2 feet and not 3!  silly 
This Website Censors Me

HPAEAA

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 17):
Uh, I'd say this is quite normal. In fact I'm surprised we only got 2 feet and not 3!

Welcome to the North Coast Lincoln, UA has it right I was shocked you guys have had it so easy!
Why do I fly???

steeler83

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:00 am

Uh, I'd say this is quite normal. In fact I'm surprised we only got 2 feet and not 3!

*Chuckle* yeah, and tell that to the folks in Buffalo!!! OSWEGO COUNTY!! Didn't they pick up like 12 feet of snow???? Ok, that is a bit extraordinary, but still. On average, doesn't that area usually see like 8 feet of snow? I know Buffalo saw that like 2 years ago or so...

N231YE

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:03 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 16):
I'm glad to hear that this isn't normal for Cleveland. While I love the city, I don't think I could take much more of this!

C'mon, you know you love it! Its fun to do doughnuts, fishtails, etc. with you car in it...  smile 

[Edited 2007-02-15 03:05:26]

lincoln

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:10 am

B...b...but last winter was so much nicer! I don't remember anything like today  Sad

Quoting N231YE (Reply 20):
C'mon, you know you love it! Its fun to do doughnuts, fishtails, etc. with you car in it...

Ok, yeah, the fishtails (when no other cars are around) are kind of cool once you get used to them; don't really now about the whole "doughnuts" thing yet.

My steering wheel now has a permanant impression from both hands from the drive down to Dayton, though... I've never felt so out of control/on the edge while driving -- and if I didn't have to, I would have been much happier staying at home. (As it turns out, only one of the 6 people in our Cleveland office made it in today, and both of the folks in our other (Boston) office called it quits early)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

steeler83

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:12 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 20):
C'mon, you know you love it! Its fun to do doughnuts, fishtails, etc. with you car in it...

Yeah, sure it is fun doing that, until you collide with the guard rail or another vehicle. Then it isn't so much fun anymore...

However, seeing salt trucks doing 360s on the roads during icy conditions, that is hilarious!! (Unless you're one of the poor fellows working for the DOT...) Still, I remember seeing on CNN when Atlanta had a really bad ice storm years back, and they showed salt trucks slipping and sliding all over the highways. I laughed myself hysterical at that! I was like 12 when that happened. To every 12 year old who does not want to go to school on a count of heavy snow, salt trucks are an even bigger enemy than that school yard bulley... They were to me at least, anyway...

N231YE

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:15 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 22):
Yeah, sure it is fun doing that, until you collide with the guard rail or another vehicle. Then it isn't so much fun anymore...

Anybody in the right mind trying to purposely doughnut a car will do it in an open parking lot.

CLEfan

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 21):
B...b...but last winter was so much nicer! I don't remember anything like today

We usually get a pretty bad storm once every few years. Cleveland gets much more snow than the rest of the state (thanks to the Lake Erie snow machine), but we also tend to deal with it better. Our plow drivers tend to do a better job and we have discovered the value of rock salt.

South of the Medina County line is another story. I swear there is only one snow plow for all of Columbus.

gte439u

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:25 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 22):
Still, I remember seeing on CNN when Atlanta had a really bad ice storm years back, and they showed salt trucks slipping and sliding all over the highways. I

I still lived in Atlanta for the "Great Ice Storm" of 2005. Everything shut down and Atlantans actually had to walk in Midtown since they were too scared to get into a car!

As a Clevelander now, I laugh about it since this last storm didn't even faze me; I even managed to walk 8 blocks in the snow to work today.

Falcon84

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:32 pm

Quoting Gte439u (Reply 25):
As a Clevelander now, I laugh about it since this last storm didn't even faze me

Me neither, although I didn't like not getting home Tuesday night.

The only storm I ever remember fazing me was that hellish Christmas storm of 2004, where we got 22 inches at the airport between the 22nd and 23rd of December, and the city and the airport were a God-awful mess all the way through Christmas day. What was worse, is that Christmas morning it was -9, and it only got up to about -2 that day.
Work Right, Fly Hard

jimbobjoe

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting CLEfan (Reply 24):
I swear there is only one snow plow for all of Columbus.

Yes, I believe that is correct.

This didn't hit me because I've lived in Columbus for a bit, but when I went back to Cleveland and I got to see how quickly and effectively they clean the roads there...wow.

dan2002

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:41 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 26):
The only storm I ever remember fazing me was that hellish Christmas storm of 2004, where we got 22 inches at the airport between the 22nd and 23rd of December, and the city and the airport were a God-awful mess all the way through Christmas day. What was worse, is that Christmas morning it was -9, and it only got up to about -2 that day.

There was another big storm, I want to say February 2004, that was similar to the one we just had yesterday. I remember more than a foot of snow and everything shut down.
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

HPAEAA

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 26):

HA! I remember that storm, that was absolutely horrendous... btw time I was leaving the airport that night I was dead to the world, then I got in my car and it got stuck on the way out the parking spot in lot 2... I fought with it for a half hour, finally got it back into the spot and went to the Hilton garden inn for the night...
Why do I fly???

N766UA

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting Jimbobjoe (Reply 27):
This didn't hit me because I've lived in Columbus for a bit, but when I went back to Cleveland and I got to see how quickly and effectively they clean the roads there...wow.

The folks in Columbus are just as clueless about winter driving as those in Georgia or Florida. One time I was driving back from Cinci and Columbus had maybe an inch of snow, the grass was still poking through. They were all gingerly doing about 40 on the highway while I breezed by doing the usual 70. Pretty funny.
This Website Censors Me

luv2fly

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting CLEfan (Reply 24):
We usually get a pretty bad storm once every few years. Cleveland gets much more snow than the rest of the state (thanks to the Lake Erie snow machine), but we also tend to deal with it better. Our plow drivers tend to do a better job and we have discovered the value of rock salt.

South of the Medina County line is another story. I swear there is only one snow plow for all of Columbus.

Actually to the East of the city gets it worse then Cleveland and the West of the city

N231YE

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 30):
The folks in Columbus are just as clueless about winter driving as those in Georgia or Florida. One time I was driving back from Cinci and Columbus had maybe an inch of snow, the grass was still poking through. They were all gingerly doing about 40 on the highway while I breezed by doing the usual 70. Pretty funny.

Talk to my dad, when he still lived in Phoenix years ago. Being from Cleveland himself, and used to the snow and ice, he stated that out there, rain was such a rarity, that people slowed down like it was snow. Yet he breezed by at the normal speed limit.

HPAEAA

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:30 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 30):
The folks in Columbus are just as clueless about winter driving as those in Georgia or Florida. One time I was driving back from Cinci and Columbus had maybe an inch of snow, the grass was still poking through. They were all gingerly doing about 40 on the highway while I breezed by doing the usual 70

I'd give the more credit than that... yeah, they act different, but it's better than the Texans... there's alot of idiots here that still drive 70-80 no matter what the conditions are... I'd rather they do the 40 or so just so they don't almost kill me!
Why do I fly???

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos