pilot21

Irish Aviation - Round 9! (9/07)

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:27 am

I know Toulouse had planned to write something up tonight, but the pace of the postings on thread No.8 has forced us to divert to No.9 and take on some extra fuel/provisions.

So what is ahead of us in the next week or so (we can't look to March just yet with the speed of these posts)

1) EI
The Unions and Mgt are digging their heels in over the new contracts that Mgt say must be adopted by March 1st in order for EI to remain competitive, and grow. The Unions claim that Mgt won't negotiate and are reneging on previous commitments on terms of employment. The stage is set for a showdown which could result in an all out strike at the airline, something that will not help Mgt and employees fight off any fresh bid from FR and Mo'L.
Also in the news, EI has said they will decide on a new hub in the next few months which will be up and running by Jan 2008. Rumours have had Belfast/Birmingham or an Eastern European city as the likely candidates, but until more info. is leaked, it is anybodies guess

2) WX
The lack of news on the introduction of WX's new ARJ fleet has started to be noted. The airline was suppose to introduce the new (for WX) aircraft from November 06 onwards at the rate of 1 per month, while the aging 146 fleet is slowly retired. As of mid Feb, only 1 aircraft was in service in AF colours, and 3 more remain in the tech hangers, maybe a few months in storage hasn't left them in as good a condition as WX thought they were in at first glance?

3) FR
With a bump in profits reported last week, and multiple new destinations and hubs being announced all over Europe, FR and it's 'maddog' CEO Mo'L still remain a carrier most people love to hate, but yet admire for their success all over Europe, and for introducing 'lowfares' and competition to Ireland and beyond. The last few weeks have seen them get their knuckles rapped a few times for dangerous approaches in Knock/Cork and Stansted over the past yr, and it is something they must resolve quickly if they are to continue to grow and become Europe's biggest airline.
As for Mo'L himself, he says he'll step down in about 2yrs, probably when FR does become Europe's biggest airline by pax carried, but I'm sure he won't fully disappear.

Finally on the airport front:
Galway is looking at extending their runway to allow bigger B737/A320 type aircraft to operate
Knock announced 2 transatlantic routes to be operated during the summer to Boston and New York
Cork is the setting for an all out battle between RE and FR on the DUB/ORK route, with a likely winner known in the next few months
Dublin has welcomed the likely introduction of slots for the busy summer season, although FR has threatened to take legal action once again to block their introduction, so we'll either have new FR routes and an airport that can't cope, or a little bit of sense prevailing at the airport during this summer, only time will tell.

Enjoy!
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

Poitin

RE: Irish Aviation - Round 9! (9/07)

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:32 am

Well, he had his chance. Please ask the moderators to shut down the old one.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

jwmd123

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:12 am

Great intro Pilot 21, right off the bat of Kaitak.

rineanna

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:38 am

Just seen this in another thread, apparently Cityjet in co-operation with AF are to launch 8 new routes from LCY including Nice and Zurich. Unfortunately no ORK service. Take a look@ CityJet/AF Expand LCY To 10 Destinations (by Runway23 Feb 15 2007 in Civil Aviation)

shamrock350

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:44 am

Nice intro Pilo21  bigthumbsup 

It was mentioned in the last thread if EI would make a short-haul order this year and I think it's likely that EI might get a great deal from Airbus for A32Xs if they order the A330/350XWB. When DM arrived at EI over a year ago now he said that he wanted EI to have a short-haul fleet of 42 aircraft and I'm sure theres room for some more A321s.

Belfast was talked about a few months ago and if it becomes the new base then EI will have a battle with BD which is interesting as BD, although in my eyes a great airline, is in an identity crisis just like EI was a few years ago. This identity crisis seems to be putting off passengers and it has been said a few times on here that BD is having a few small problems at LHR.

EI321

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:53 am

CITYJET EXPANSION ANNOUNCED!

Quote:

Official Press Release:

AIR FRANCE AND CITYJET LAUNCH NEW SERVICE
CITYJET FOR AIR FRANCE
TO AND FROM THE HEART OF LONDON

CityJet for Air France, is first and foremost the largest network out of London City airport with close to 70 daily flights, mainly operated with Avro RJ 85 aircraft seating 95 passengers.

Starting on 26 March 2007, CityJet for Air France will be offering 10 routes out of London City including eight new ones:

Geneva
Madrid
Milan Linate
Nice
Zurich

and in cooperation with ScotAirways:

Belfast Harbour Airport
Dundee
Edinburgh
These routes will be in addition to existing Air France services operated by CityJet out of London City: Paris-Orly (6 daily flights) and Dublin (5 daily flights).

CityJet for Air France, is also an exclusive product with a very short check-in time of 10 minutes (at London City Airport) and a wide-range of e-services in a small but very convenient airport which makes travel easy for customers.

" CityJet for Air France is an important milestone. We are pleased to underline our commitment to London City where we have had a presence for many years while simultaneously pursuing our development with our revamped fleet ", said Geoffrey O'Byrne White, CityJet CEO.

Etienne Rachou, Air France Senior Vice President of Europe and North Africa, added : "We are providing our business clientele with a hitherto unknown service, access to a network straight from the heart of London with all the benefits and services the Air France Group has to offer. In this way we are strengthening our position as leader in this market".

EI321

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:56 am

'Cityjet for AirFrance'

.......what a shite name, easily forgotten. 'Air France Cityjet' sounds better, similar to the way Lufthansa has 'Lufthansa Cityline for their Avro ops.

OA260

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:00 am

Well done Pilot21 on a nice intro.

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 4):
This identity crisis seems to be putting off passengers and it has been said a few times on here that BD is having a few

I think with the buying of BMED , BD will settle down and has basically done the right thing and will have some very interesting and profitable routes. Time will tell.

Quoting Poitin (Reply 1):

Never mind Toulouse you can aim for the next thread, that gives you at least a few days to come up with something knowing the speed of these threads...LOL

shamrock350

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:09 am

The amount of A330s being sold recently is worrying me. I think it's great for the A330 but bad for EI unless they have an agreement on some reserved A330 slots because if they dont order soon or at least before BA and LH, the slots for A330s and even A350s will disappear and EI will have to wait and deal with an ageing A330 fleet for longer.

Quoting EI321 (Reply 6):
'Cityjet for AirFrance'

Agreed that is a horrible name, makes them sound like a slave airline for AF and easily forgotten.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
I think with the buying of BMED , BD will settle down and has basically done the right thing and will have some very interesting and profitable routes. Time will tell.

I used to fly BD to DUB from LHR a lot but the last few years I went back to EI because the flights were just no longer enjoyable. I keep saying to myself that I should fly BD soon but never get round to booking the flight hopefully they will settle down like you say and make some more money.

pilot21

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 8):
The amount of A330s being sold recently is worrying me

Airbus and CIT have just announced an order for another 5 A330's and 10 A320's for the leasing company. At this stage the only hope EI of getting A330's in 2008 is if they lease them from these guys. (unless some gentleman's agreement was done last yr on slots, but Airbus don't need EI that badly)

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 8):
I used to fly BD to DUB from LHR a lot but the last few years I went back to EI because the flights were just no longer enjoyable

I tried to suggest this before that the BMI experience on that route was not good, and was told otherwise by 2 other members, but their lack of back up aircraft, and poor timings after the morning rush has left me stranded in Dublin and LHR a few times, with the result that I never even look at their prices anymore, if I want to fly back from London, EI is the first port of call, followed by Cityjet and FR.
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

shamrock350

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting Pilot21 (Reply 9):
At this stage the only hope EI of getting A330's in 2008 is if they lease them from these guys.

I think an agreement has been reached because why would DM mention that EI would get at least 2 A330s in 2008 hopefully they will announce this with their new long-haul order whenever that might be.

Airbus don't need EI that badly

Airbus want EI more than Boeing does that's for sure so I really think Airbus will fight for Aer Lingus and offer them as many deals as they can.

Poitin

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
Quoting Poitin (Reply 1):

Never mind Toulouse you can aim for the next thread, that gives you at least a few days to come up with something knowing the speed of these threads...LOL

I second that! Toulouse, you are up for the next thread. Set it off once this one gets to 150. I really would like to see your intro. You have a couple of days to get it ready. I am sure it will happen before Kaitak returns, so I don't think he would mind.

Any other KAITAK wannabes out there who would like to kick off a thread? I think you all should have a try at it. While Kaitak does a great job, he does get tried, so let's spread the load. How about you SmokeyRoscoe? While we may disagree, I still find your views interesting and I am sure you could do an great intro.

Pilot21, you get 4 gold stars for your intro. Excellent job!

EI321

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:58 am

Anyone else feel that these threads are becoming more and more about the business of starting new threads than the actual quality of discussion in them. This one just opened and already the discussion is centred around who will open the next one!

[Edited 2007-02-15 19:15:52]

Toulouse

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting Pilot21 (Thread starter):
I know Toulouse had planned to write something up tonight, but the pace of the postings on thread No.8 has forced us to divert to No.9 and take on some extra fuel/provisions.

Thanks for that and thanks for the message you sent me. Today has been one of those days in the life of a freelancer, yesterday I wasd twiddling my fingers all day, today I haven't stopped and it looks like I'll be working until late. Great intro anyway.

Quoting EI321 (Reply 6):
'Cityjet for AirFrance'

.......what a shite name, easily forgotten. 'Air France Cityjet' sounds better, similar to the way Lufthansa has 'Lufthansa Cityline for their Avro ops.

I always thought was Air France by Cityjet, just as on the other AF Frachises such as Air France par Régional, etc. Sounds better than Cityjet for Air France.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):

Thanks, so get writing as I'm off on holidays for a week next Tuesday morning and for the first time in about 3 yaers I'm planning on not turning on my laptop once (only thing is I sually threaten that when I go away)...

Quoting Poitin (Reply 11):
I second that! Toulouse, you are up for the next thread. Set it off once this one gets to 150. I really would like to see your intro. You have a couple of days to get it ready. I am sure it will happen before Kaitak returns, so I don't think he would mind.

Thanks Poitin for that and for your comments on the last thread.

Quoting EI321 (Reply 12):
Anyone elso feel that these threads are becoming more and more about the business of starting new threads than the actual quality of discussion in them. This one just opened and already the discussion is centred around who will open the next one!

Whoopps sorry EI321, I had already selected the above quotes by the time I got to your post. Anyway, I don't have any time to continue with you this evening, so get back on topic, and I hope to join you all again.
One thing, I'm slightly surprised EI appears to only be considering UK airports as their first base on "foreign" soil. Is the UK not already a fairly saturated market between BA, BMI, FR, EZY and a host of other airlines, locos, and charters?
Long live Aer Lingus!

Shamrock330

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:15 am

Anyone elso feel that these threads are becoming more and more about the business of starting new threads than the actual quality of discussion in them. This one just opened and already the discussion is centred around who will open the next one!

I agree. OK so I don' t post every day on this forum and am by no means as regular a contributor as other more "high Profile" members but it does get slightly irritating. I once was commenting on the possible seats available to Aer Lingus only to get the "vibe" off another member that my posts were "mish mash" ( so to speak) and that the posting should be confined to the more mechanical operational side.

Kind of gets my back up when others now concentrate on (as you say) the starting of new threads.Contradiction Yeah sure

dstc47

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:19 am

Good opening 21, we should be very well on when Kaitak next has lounge access.

Whatever about the WX ARJs, which seem to be stealthy beasts indeed, the EI commuter BAe 146s live on and on in the film RTE regularly show to commemorate the current lovefest between DM and his staff.
Belfast to LCY is an interesting kick at ailing BD and another good reason why EI should stay out of Belfast.

A new GM for Galway airport apparently.

Toulouse

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting Shamrock330 (Reply 14):
Kind of gets my back up when others now concentrate on (as you say) the starting of new threads.Contradiction

OK, OK, lets drop it. It seems to offend some of you, which is a pity as it shouldn't. I suppose this thread is just a bit like a sort of family, and some of us have been here for longern through good and bad times, but I agree, let's (well, I can't join tonight) but get back to pure Irish aviation topics so as not to irritate any more of us.

Happy chatting tonight all of you.

edited to state... By the way, this post was meant with the best of intentions. I fully understand some of you may dislike all the talk about who starts the thread. So lad and lassies (which we unfortunatly have none of...) back to aviation topics and I look forward to logging on tomorrow morning and seeing lots of teh usual friendly chat and craic on Irish aviation here on our Irish aviation thread. A demain!

[Edited 2007-02-15 19:23:36]
Long live Aer Lingus!

EI321

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:29 am

Quoting Dstc47 (Reply 15):
EI commuter BAe 146s live on and on in the film RTE regularly show to commemorate the current lovefest between DM and his staff.

Dont know why they keep showing Aer Lingus 737s and 146s on rte, its not like they dont have file shots of aircraft that Are Lingus actually operate nowadays! Poor aul Ryanair still gets their 732s broadcast ed to the nation aswell.

Belfast to LCY is an interesting kick at ailing BD and another good reason why EI should stay out of Belfast.

Unless EI get 146/Avros again or Props (which poitin used to predict) they wont be going anywhere near LCY. It ain't gonna happen.

shamrock350

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:30 am

I think we should just wait until this one is over and then think about it. Although Kaitak starts the threads and does so with style I dont think we should rank each other that's what RR is there for. Anyone should feel free to have a go if they wish. Sorry guys so many posts were posted when I was writing this so it seems a bit off topic now  Sad

Back to Irish aviation and Aer Lingus have got a Greece and Lithuania website now and fares to DUB from Athens are great, just €55 one way and €80 from DUB, I really think this will be a great route for EI as will SCQ. However I do think it's possible that FR will announce SCQ this year from DUB because they already fly there from STN, EMA and LPL and we all know FR like to challenge EI.
I was also hoping that WX would announce ORK as one of their new routes but I'm happy the airline is expanding despite it not expanding from Ireland

[Edited 2007-02-15 19:34:35]

EI321

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 18):
I really think this will be a great route for EI as will SCQ.

Me too. Athens is a good airport for onward flights to Greek Islands, Turkey, Cyprus, etc.

BrianDromey

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:49 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 17):

Dont know why they keep showing Aer Lingus 737s and 146s on rte, its not like they dont have file shots of aircraft that Are Lingus actually operate nowadays! Poor aul Ryanair still gets their 732s broadcast ed to the nation aswell.

Liekt eh public can tell the difference between a 732 and a 738!  biggrin  I do remember RTE using the brids which were leased from Swiss as stock footage for a while.

I was also hoping that WX would announce ORK as one of their new routes but I'm happy the airline is expanding despite it not expanding from Ireland

I think "CityJet for Air France" rather than "AirFrance/CityJet/ or Air France by CityJet" says a lot about where the decisions are made these days! ORK and SNN dont seem to be of any real importance to AF, indeed it is only in the past few months that they have allowed online bookings from ORKviaCDG and onwards.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

EI321

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 20):
I do remember RTE using the brids which were leased from Swiss as stock footage for a while.

Least we forget the Blue & Green AERLINGUS.COM 737s! They still pop up on the six one sometimes!

shamrock350

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:59 am

Not a big piece of news but it may interest a few of you. Long-haul up a bit and Short-haul down a bit.

Quote:
Aer Lingus amends January figures
Thursday, 15 February 2007 18:27
Aer Lingus has released a corrected version of its January traffic figures, though the passenger figures remain the same.

The total load factor - the percentage of seats filled - was unchanged at 66.1%, but the short-haul load factor was revised down from 63.2% in last week's statement to 63.1%. The long-haul load factor, on the other hand, was corrected from 70.6% to 70.7%

http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0215/aerlingus.html

Unless EI get 146/Avros again or Props (which poitin used to predict) they wont be going anywhere near LCY. It ain't gonna happen.

If EI really want to go to LCY which I doubt they could use the A318 if it's certified for it.

[Edited 2007-02-15 20:05:04]

Poitin

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting Shamrock330 (Reply 14):
Kind of gets my back up when others now concentrate on (as you say) the starting of new threads.Contradiction Yeah sure

Sorry you feel that way. However, when the thread gets changes more often than some change their underwear, it is important to spread the load out. Kaitak was doing all the work. Now that he has taken a few days off, this thread would be up to several hundred postings in short order. I was merely trying to get others to contribute. Fortunately both Toulouse and Pilot21 do want to try their hand. If you do not want to, then fine. To each his own.

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 16):
By the way, this post was meant with the best of intentions. I fully understand some of you may dislike all the talk about who starts the thread. So lad and lassies (which we unfortunatly have none of...) back to aviation topics and I look forward to logging on tomorrow morning and seeing lots of teh usual friendly chat and craic on Irish aviation here on our Irish aviation thread. A demain!

Agreed!  Big grin

BrianDromey

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:41 am

EI LEAVING ONEWORLD

Thats not news, I know [biggrin] but what I am wondering is, will EI be keeping its interline agreements with the likes of IB, LA, etc when it leaves oneworld? I havent heard anything on this so far, so Im wondering if anyone knows more? I do know the codeshare is gone on teh DUB-MAD/BCN flights.......

Cheers,
Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

EI321

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 22):

If EI really want to go to LCY which I doubt they could use the A318 if it's certified for it.

Its not certified yet but they are trying to get it certified. The issue with the A318 is not its takeoff performance, thats fine. It needs to be certified for the 5-5.5 degree approach and the noise requirements.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 24):
Thats not news, I know [biggrin] but what I am wondering is, will EI be keeping its interline agreements with the likes of IB, LA, etc when it leaves oneworld?

Yes they will still have (as they did prior to oneworld membership) code shares with BA, AA, KL, and now B9. Not sure about LA and others at the moment. We will probably see EK also.

Toulouse

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 24):
I do know the codeshare is gone on teh DUB-MAD/BCN flights.......

Yeah, I think that codeshare has been gone for quite a while now. IB used to also codeshare on DUB-LHR flights with EI until not so long ago, I imagine they've also dropped that.

I wonder how MAD-DUB is doing with all the competition. At the moment 3 daily flights + (1 four times weekly) and as of later this month 4 (+1 four times weekly): with 2 IB daily rotations, 1 daily EI rotation and 1 morning EI rotation 4 times per week which I see they're maintaing for this summer unlike previous summers) and 1 daily FR rotation. That's quite a lot of capacity between EI using 320's and 321's, IB's 320's and FR's 737 we're talking in the range of an average of some 700 seats daily (I'm a translator, always terrible with numbers so feel free to correct that average I just took off the top of my head!).

All of you back in the DUB area will be getting to see a new carrier shortly with the arrival of Clickair taking over IB's BCN-DUB-BCN route. I haven't seen one of their 320's for real, but they seem to have quite a nice livery. Yet another new airline to add to the long list at DUB...
Long live Aer Lingus!

OA260

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:55 am

Back to Irish aviation and Aer Lingus have got a Greece and Lithuania website now and fares to DUB from Athens are great, just €55 one way and €80 from DUB, I really think this will be a great route for EI

Hmm I guess it will do well but the fares are quite high for my liking cheapest it Eur230 all in. When they come down to Eur150 all in then I will fly them . I get Swiss for Eur150 and I know its 2 flights but I get miles and lounge access and double baggage allowance so for me its not a great alternative unless the price is the same . The times are great though and Im sure the Irish tourism will benefit from this. Maybe see a few more Greeks here in Ireland and more Irish in Athens.

I tried to suggest this before that the BMI experience on that route was not good, and was told otherwise by 2 other members, but their lack of back up aircraft, and poor timings after the morning rush has left me stranded in Dublin and LHR a few times, with the result that I never even look at their prices anymore,

I honestly have to say that in the last 2 years i have only had bad problems on two occassions. Im Gold card with BMI and fly them regular and maybe I have just been lucky but I still prefer BMI BHD-LHR and DUB-LHR than EI DUB-LHR. Maybe its because I fly C class and have the lounge access at either end that makes it a different experience but I still like BMI. Maybe my next trip I will do a TR so everyone can see the current product etc....

If I were to complain about anything with relation to BMI it would be their annoying and frustrating Indian call centers!!! They make me want to hang up . Also when I go to do an award ticket they take so long and the Indian agents dont know basic European route networks or airport codes !!! Oh and last week the coffee machines were bust in the Dublin BMI lounge !!! So im not totally biased towards BMI ...LOL

With regards the Threads issue , im just happy to let someone else start them or finish them when the general concensus demands it. I personally would be crap at starting a thread !!!

planemanofnz

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:01 pm

Anyone else feel that these threads are becoming more and more about the business of starting new threads than the actual quality of discussion in them. This one just opened and already the discussion is centred around who will open the next one!

YES! I come onto the Irish threads now and while I am trying to keep up with what happened in thread 7, everyone else has moved onto thread 10 or something. It is so frustrating!

BD will now get little or none of the government traffic travelling between London and Northern Ireland. They will be there simply for connecting onto other airlines. However, it was the government traffic which produced those high yeilds through business class. BD will now not have this.

BrianDromey

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:07 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 27):
If I were to complain about anything with relation to BMI it would be their annoying and frustrating Indian call centers!!!

Hi OA!

Thses call centres are actually outsourced to a company called "Ventura" they are a large outsource provider of call centres. Ventura provide similar services to many companies throughout the UK, including 02 UK. Initially Ventura UK operated the call centres for BMI, but then they moved to India to farther reduce the costs. I have never delt with BMI on the phone myself, but I do know that Ventura here in Leeds are very strict on customer care and employee conduct(the Leeds Ventura call centre is right across he courtyard from me, and several people at my halls work the later shifts there). Suits and ties are teh "standard" attire for employees there.

Just thought Id interject with that pointless piece of information!
Cheers,
Brian.

Toulouse

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:58 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 27):
Hmm I guess it will do well but the fares are quite high for my liking cheapest it Eur230 all in. When they come down to Eur150 all in then I will fly them

Yes, just took a look at the fares are quite high. I would have thought thed's have some nice offers as they're launching the route.

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 28):

YES! I come onto the Irish threads now and while I am trying to keep up with what happened in thread 7, everyone else has moved onto thread 10 or something. It is so frustrating!

In all fairness, one member suggested sarting a new thread, I responded saying I had the same thought but thought we should just let the previous one return until Katiak's return, then Poitin nominated me, I said I was busy but would happily do it in the evening, in the meantime there were lots of posts so Pilot21 kindly started the new thread, some of us complimented him on his introduction then basically a few of you started complaining and complaining about this issue. In all fairness, I think there have been more posts from the people criticising the 3 or 4 posts in the previous thread on starting the thread than anything else. So why don't we just let the issue drop!

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 29):
Thses call centres are actually outsourced to a company called "Ventura" they are a large outsource provider of call centres.

ou're up late Brian! Who does provides this servie to EI now, obviously a UK coompany as in the past couple of years it's always English accents. I must say I regret it leaving Irish hands as the attitude was always much more helpful, now it"s sort of this is the rule, full stop. Before when it was in Irish hands they'd always bend over backwards to help you out. I had many "supposedly unauthorised" changes made back then. Since it went to the UK that has changed. Once, when my dad was very ill, but about a year before he died, he was in hospital and just given 10 days (thankfully he got back home to the doctor's surprise and survived another 15 months, anyway I was in DUB and had a return to TLS and ndeeded to change it, called EI, obviously in the UK and actually lost my temper with guy as his attitude was "Sowwy Sur, but the wules do not permit changes to your ticket Sur", I kept ephasising the difficult situation but we dimplomaticcaly told me hy father's state of health wasn't their problem. No I should say all this was before EI introduced the ticket change fee on all fares. What did I do, I phoned the Aer Lingus agents in Paris, explained the situation, after a "Just a moment please Monsieur", the pleasant French girl came back saying of course they could change my ticket and did so free of charge. Same happened in the same period, wife was supposed to fly MAD-DUb for Christmas but was really sick, wanted to postpone ticked a couple of days, no luck from the UL call centre, called EI (at that stage, not sure now, it was an actual Aer Lingus office staffed with Irish and Spanish mainly in Madrid, and they changed the ticket immediately. Now, I have had a few very pleasant operators who did their best at this new call centre, but in general, they're just so much less friendly and giving than when it was back in Ireland. Anyone else found this? Granted I haven't phoned them for about a year or two now.
Long live Aer Lingus!

EI787

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:12 pm

I've just heard that on the GF flights from DUB, all briefings are made as Gaeilge as well as English!! Nice touch by the airline!!

Toulouse

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:22 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 31):
I've just heard that on the GF flights from DUB, all briefings are made as Gaeilge as well as English!! Nice touch by the airline!!

That is a nice touch and just shows how serious they are with regard to customer service and satisfaction. Very nice touch as you say!
Long live Aer Lingus!

pilot21

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:34 pm

I suppose the proof on that route is in the load factors, and yield, and from what has been said before, apparently DUB is one of their best performing routes to Europe. Just shows the demand for flights to the Gulf that are out there.
I wonder will GF and EI notice any big dip after EY starts in August? I do wish that EI and EK would sort out a codeshare agreement to provide 1 stop service to OZ/NZ etc.

1 other point I saw on another thread this week, apparently when the new DXB airport opens, all other airlines will move to it, and EK will stay at the current DXB airport, if that is the case, codeshares and interlining agreements will go out the window, unless a fantastic airport interchange transport system is in place.

pilot21

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:57 pm

This mornings Irish Times has an article on the Cityjet expansion plans announced yesterday. The interesting points of the article are a swipe at the DAA by saying no new routes from DUB would be opened until the airport sorts out "it's infrastructural problems." Finally somebody comes out and says what we all know to be true, DUB is a mess!!
DUB-AMS is also mentioned, but we are a yr or 2 off WX starting that route, so KLM and EI will continue to codeshare for the foreseeable future I guess. Article below:

No new CityJet routes for Dublin

CityJet, the Swords-based regional airline owned by the Air France KLM Group, will not launch any new routes out of Dublin until the city's airport infrastructure has been significantly improved, chief executive Geoffrey O'Byrne White said yesterday. Ciarán Hancock reports.

Mr O'Byrne White was speaking from London City Airport, where he announced details of eight new routes to be launched from there on March 26th. This is part of an expansion plan that will see CityJet spend $221 million (€168 million) on 23 new aircraft over the next 12 months.

CityJet, which targets business passengers, operates daily flights from Dublin to London City Airport and to Charles de Gaulle in Paris, with fares averaging €160 or more.

Dublin, however, has been bypassed in this round of expansion.

"Our fleet is specifically designed for high frequency and to cater for the business community," Mr O'Byrne White said. "The expansion in Dublin [ in recent times by rivals] has been almost exclusively of the low-cost variety.

"We hope to have expansion out of Dublin as well but we have to wait until the airport sorts out the infrastructural problems that currently exist."

Mr O'Byrne White said he would like to launch a service from Dublin to Amsterdam. "That might be possible in a year or so," he said.

CityJet, which was founded by Irish businessman Pat Byrne in 1994 before being acquired by Air France six years later, employs 80 staff at its head office in Swords. About 100 crew are also based there.

Mr O'Byrne White said it had no plans to relocate its headquarters operation out of Dublin.

CityJet's new routes will see it operate flights from London to Geneva, Madrid, Milan Linate, Nice and Zurich.

In addition, it will offer services to Belfast Harbour airport, Edinburgh and Dundee in conjunction with ScotAirways, a UK airline.

The Irish airline expects to double its annual passenger numbers to three million as a result of this move. Revenues are also projected to double from their current level of €250 million a year.

CityJet is introducing 23 Avro RJ85 aircraft, seating 95 passengers each, to its fleet.

They will replace its 20 Bae 146-200 aircraft on a phased basis.

planemanofnz

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:13 pm

They hire Gaelic speaking crews! I hope it is pronounced well enough to be understood easily.That is a very good advantage that GF have over EI.

dstc47

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:34 pm

Not suggesting that EI would ever operate to London City from Belfast, EI321, I am just saying that this intensifies the already pronounced competition on the key market to London (all airports) out of Belfast.

A nice story in the Irish Times today (with a somewhat misleading heading, of course) says that the ex Air Corps Avro 631 Cadet which was restored in New Zealand is to be bought for the Irish Government.

(Perhaps it will be in operation here before the WX ARJs!)

EI321

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:17 pm

Quoting Dstc47 (Reply 36):
A nice story in the Irish Times today (with a somewhat misleading heading, of course) says that the ex Air Corps Avro 631 Cadet which was restored in New Zealand is to be bought for the Irish Government.

Interesting, any news on the Air Corps Museum?

aerarann

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:17 pm

Can anyone inform me if The BMI staff board flights in DUB, or is it AVIANCE or A handling agent??

I know BMI run the ticket desk and the check-in

EI321

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:21 pm

I dont think BMI do thir own handling but Im not certain.

OA260

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:33 pm

I dont think BMI do thir own handling but Im not certain

Is it not Aviance??? I dont really take notice anymore to be honest they just have blue uniforms but last year it was deffo Aviance.

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 35):
They hire Gaelic speaking crews! I hope it is pronounced well enough to be understood easily.That is a very good advantage that GF have over EI.

They are Irish so I would hope that they speak it properly!!!! A friend of mine is currently applying for GF and they told her she needed Irish due to the announcements.

Re: Threads issue
I suggest no thread goes over 200 posts just for housekeeping and courtesy to the few including myself that are on dial up and therefore makes it harder to load all these posts. Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

BrianDromey

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 30):
Who does provides this servie to EI now, obviously a UK coompany as in the past couple of years it's always English accents. I must say I regret it leaving Irish hands as the attitude was always much more helpful, now it"s sort of this is the rule, full stop.

Hmm...I think its just the "overflow call centre" which is staffed in the UK, but Im not sure. Granted I ahevnt rung in quite a while, but I do seem to remember Irish accents the last time I rung. I know EI.com support is still in DUB, so maybe thats where the've all gone. Remember that in a call centre they have targets to meet, and if you hang on teh phone for long enough/insist on speaking to a team leader you will get what you need. Might take a few minutes though. Changes can be made, they just need to be authorised.

Quoting Pilot21 (Reply 33):
I wonder will GF and EI notice any big dip after EY starts in August? I do wish that EI and EK would sort out a codeshare agreement to provide 1 stop service to OZ/NZ etc.

Ive heard that "its not doing as well as London" Considering that London is one of the highest yield markets on the world, that is hardly surprising! But GF do seem happy with it. I wish EI would sort out an EK codeshare as well!

Quoting Pilot21 (Reply 34):
"We hope to have expansion out of Dublin as well but we have to wait until the airport sorts out the infrastructural problems that currently exist."

Mr O'Byrne White said he would like to launch a service from Dublin to Amsterdam. "That might be possible in a year or so," he said.

Interesing comments there, teh decisions are definately being made in Paris now.....notice how no Irish carrier has ever said anything like that before, except FR, who want lower charges!

Hmmm AMS....you heard it on here first, guys!

EIDAA

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:37 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 20):
I do remember RTE using the brids which were leased from Swiss as stock footage for a while.

They weren't actually leased from Swiss, just previously operated by them. Just nit-picking  duck 

On the new EI base front, if it was BFS that got the nod, what sort of routes would they open up. Didn't the article say that most of the routes would be over two hours? I wonder if they would consider opening up somewhere on the continent that could support long-haul routes to the far-east, given the apparent issue with A332 range and runway length at Dublin?

Also, I just popped over to Spain for the weekend this day last week. Flew with FR to MJV - a route I fly regularly as my parents live out there. Just wondering, with the FR announcement of routes to ALC has there been any discussion of how long both destinations will be served, given their proximity? MJV has actually become very popular with FR, U2, DY and LS - big changes from a few years ago and I don't want the DUB-MJV route to drop!
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

shamrock350

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 35):

Aer Lingus do speak Gaelic on long-haul flights and a bit on short-haul flights, it's a nice touch by GF especially as the language isn't spoken that much anymore.

rineanna

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:45 pm

Apparently some vandals went on a mini graffitti rampage last night at DUB:

Quote:
Gardaí probe Dublin Airport graffiti incident

Gardaí are investigating an overnight incident at Dublin Airport in which three private aircraft were sprayed with graffiti.

The scene is being examined.

One of the aircraft has since been released back into service.

Link: http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0216/airport.html

pilot21

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:04 pm

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 44):
Apparently some vandals went on a mini graffiti rampage last night at DUB:

While the graffiti is very annoying, the real concern here is security. Obviously some person or persons made it onto the tarmac and had a bit of fun, what is to stop somebody with more sinister motives following the same route?
Certainly adds to my opinion that airport security in general is a joke, and a cosmetic exercise.

EI321

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:14 pm

Was the graffitti politically orientated perhaps? We will see on the news later.

OA260

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 46):
Was the graffitti politically orientated perhaps? We will see on the news later.

Like what ??? Free Dublin or something LOL

The security at Dublin aiport is a joke and has been proved so . Plus some of the people that work there on the scanners and searchers are to put it blatantly ''racist'' and I know its a strong thing to say but I have witnessed it personally and have made official complaints about it. Also I have seen people break rules , like going from the A gates back to the C gates without being stopped as no one was on duty in between the 2 areas. There is a sign saying no entry.

Steve332

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:52 pm

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, Iv been browsing the forums for a while and decided its about time I joined.

Does anybody know when the new 330's are arriving?? I have heard its sometime in the summer but I dont know what months they are yet.

Flew on GF to BAH in December from DUB and they were only in English & Arabic.

shamrock350

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:55 pm

Welcome Steve!

Quoting Steve332 (Reply 48):
Does anybody know when the new 330's are arriving??

They are due for May and June as are two more A320s.