WestJetYQQ
Topic Author

YQQ Passenger Numbers Continue To Increase Rapidly

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:05 am

Here's the Link. This is an Article about the future of YQQ, and its passenger Growth
http://www.comoxairport.com/nr_050207_toronto_predictions.asp

Cheers
Carson
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

yvr1968

RE: YQQ Passenger Numbers Continue To Increase Rapidly

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:21 pm

I would have to say that is a bit of a pipe dream. If they can barely make YXX-YYZ a go, YQQ-YYZ seems a bit of a stretch. The population base is just not big enough.

Seriously, how much traffic from YQQ would go east of Saskatchewan? I would assume most passengers are travelling within BC and Alberta?

There are way too many (and easy) connections available through YVR or YYC.

Maybe you can elighten me if I am off the mark.

[Edited 2007-02-17 05:31:41]

CXA330300

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:12 pm

Comox and its surrounding area is rather small...IIRC most traffic is to YYC and YVR. And Comox isn't exactly much of a hub.

But the Comox area is beautiful....I hope they do build up tourism enough to see increased service.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

WestJetYQQ
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:50 pm

Quoting YVR1968 (Reply 1):
how much traffic from YQQ would go east of Saskatchewan? I would assume most passengers are travelling within BC and Alberta?

Well Currently......ALL of YQQs Traffic is to BC or Alberta, some passengers connecting to Saskatchewan and a good number to YYZ. I think a flight to the US will come before YYZ though. YYZ whouldn't be able to support more than 2 times weekly.

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 2):
Comox isn't exactly much of a hub.

Deffinately not. But it is up and coming as a larger Regional hub.

I doubt the traffic will reach that 2M by 2025. Most of YQQs traffic is seniors travelling back and forth between Comox and Alberta. When They Go, There is vitually no other industry to support air travel in the valley. I wonder if CVAC (Comox Valley Airport commission) has thought of that aspect.

Cheers
Carson
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

flyb

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:48 am

Why I think 2million is a very generous guess, I have been surprised to see how well the Comox flight is doing via YEG. It is now daily, up from 3x wkly.

Chugach

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:12 am

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 3):
I think a flight to the US will come before YYZ though. YYZ whouldn't be able to support more than 2 times weekly.

I could easily see QX giving this a try from SEA if circumstances fell into place.
GO ROCKETS

yow

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:06 am

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 3):
YYZ whouldn't be able to support more than 2 times weekly.

A Sunwing-type of 2x/week operation during the summer months might work, but then again probably wouldn't as there'd be no connecting traffic possibilities.

Quoting Chugach (Reply 5):
I could easily see QX giving this a try from SEA if circumstances fell into place.

Definitely, but QX might look to YCD instead, since half of YQQ's pax come from the Nanaimo area, and YCD can obviously handle QX's Dash 8s, but can't handle a 737.

The airport manager predicting 2 million pax in 2025 is a pipe dream. YQQ's current growth rates won't be sustained that long. 2 million pax will be about what YYJ will probably be handling in 2025.

[Edited 2007-02-19 18:09:03]