YLWbased
Topic Author

HKG Terminal 2 Opening This Month

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:05 pm

Source: HKIA (http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/pr/pr_875.html)

New Passenger Terminal to Begin Phased Opening in February
(HONG KONG, 26 January 2007) - Hong Kong International Airport's (HKIA) new passenger terminal, known as Terminal 2 or T2, will begin phased opening next month. Located next to the existing Terminal 1, T2 brings a range of exciting new facilities and services to the airport's rapidly expanding customer base. T2 is the centrepiece of HKIA's larger development called SkyCity which will enable Hong Kong to provide local and overseas passengers with a dynamic and memorable airport experience.

In February, 130 retail and catering outlets in SkyPlaza and four entertainment zones will start opening in the 140,000-square-metre terminal. A 36-bay coach station will debut next, while 56 airline check-in counters and customs and immigration facilities will open afterwards.

Commercial Director Hans Bakker said T2 highlights Airport Authority Hong Kong's commitment to creating a unique, pleasant experience at HKIA. "T2 is an integral part of SkyCity, a development that is transforming HKIA from a city's airport into an airport city. Being the centrepiece of the SkyCity, the new terminal is also an integrated multimodal hub, where air, sea, land and rail transport converge seamlessly."

"We have invested HK$2.8 billion in Terminal 2, an automated people mover connecting T1 and T2, and two office buildings, including HKIA Tower, which will be the new headquarters for the Airport Authority. This investment will allow us to better meet passenger demand and strengthen HKIA's role as a regional and international transportation hub," he added.

The Airport Authority's Head of Projects, Kevin Poole, oversaw T2 from design to completion and said, "The undulating fins on the terminal's exterior facade and ceiling create a dynamic, floating effect for people inside and outside the building. T2 also echoes the three-dimensional "wave" design of T1."

In addition to Terminal 2, other projects under the SkyCity development include the SkyCity Nine Eagles Golf Course; SkyPier, a permanent cross-boundary ferry terminal; and a second airport hotel, the Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel. The golf course is scheduled to open in the first half of this year whereas the other two projects are slated to open in 2008.
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

whappeh

RE: HKG Terminal 2 Opening This Month

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:23 pm

Any photos of what it will look like, inside and out?
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

CX Flyboy

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:39 pm

The terminal is already open, although the check-in desks are not yet functional. The cross-border bus services started going from T2 on the 15th but the terminal itself opened on the 29th of January. There are plenty of shops and restaurants there and at the moment 90% of the customers must be airport staff....the place is dead at times other than meal times!!

Here are some pics uploaded at that 'other' site.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5912369&nseq=1 Terminal main floor.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5913498&nseq=0 Upstairs restaurant area

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5912381&nseq=3 787 cockpit mock-up!!

UAL777UK

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:42 pm

Who is goint to be operating from the new terminal?

And boy do I love that 787 Cockpit!

YLWbased
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:04 pm

geez... this terminal does look like a MALL......
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

alphonze

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 3):
Who is goint to be operating from the new terminal?

The only name I've heard dropped so far has been EK.

SkyPlaza is not a terminal in the sense that other airports would use it. It's basically four aisles of extra check-in desks and a whole bunch of shops. There's a little airside shopping too, but there's no gates and to get to the aircraft you've still got to go into the old, main part of the airport.

It is damn smart though, and some of the restaurants are pretty good.

raventom

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:46 pm

Reminds me too much of Star Trek!
I love the smell of burnt kerosene!!!!!!!!!!!!

zeke

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:45 pm

Its in the 4d cinema, up close it looks crap.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

CXfirst

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:34 pm

I love the roof of the terminal, it's like many waves.

-CXfirst