sampa737

Government Owned Airlines

Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:07 am

What airlines in the world are wholey owned or deely subsidized by the government? I live in Brasil but the airlines here are all privately owned, correct? Then, is British Airways privately owned or owned by the state?

LHStarAlliance

RE: Government Owned Airlines

Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:17 am

BA is a private Airline , AZ is to 49% public but the government will sell 39% .
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

coleplane

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:15 am

The following are wholey owned by the government:
Air Algerie
TAAG Angola
Azerbaijan
Belavia
Druk Air
Cubana
Garuda Indonesia
Iran Air
Air Koryo
PIA
Palestinian
Syrian
Conviasa
Vietnam

The government is the majority shareholder in these:
Singapore
Ukraine Intl
PLUNA
Uzbekistan

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_carrier
"About a nine on the tension scale there Rupe."

UAEflyer

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:16 am

Emirates owned but not supported by Dubai Government, which means it is an investment project which should make profit at the end of the year. Air Arabia is 50% owned by Government and the rest for senior businessmen
Etihad, Qatar Airways, Kuwait Airways, Oman Air, Egypt Air, Saudi Arabian Airlines, Iran Air, Royal Jordanian, Yemnia are all owned and supported by government, in which the government do not expect a profit they just keep pumping cash in it.

bhmbaglock

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:37 am

You can add TAME to the list as it's owned by the Air Force in Ecuador. Seems like there was a thread a few weeks ago about Uncle Hugo nationalizing an airline or two as well.
Where are all of my respected members going?

PPVRA

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting Sampa737 (Thread starter):
I live in Brasil but the airlines here are all privately owned, correct?

AFAIK the only ever airline to be government owned in Brazil was VASP, but they were eventually privatized.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

timboflier215

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:53 am

Quoting Coleplane (Reply 2):
Singapore

The Singapore govt is the majority shareholder through it's investment company, Temasek. Like Emirates, SQ is expected to give a return on the investment, and not simply suck in govt money.

Scooter01

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:58 am

I believe the governments of Sweden, Denmark and Norway still have controlling interrests in Scandinavian Airlines
The Government of Canada also control Air Canada if I am correct.
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

coleplane

Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 7):
I believe the governments of Sweden, Denmark and Norway still have controlling interrests in Scandinavian Airlines

Say, a bit off subject, but do you know if SAS still has shareholdings in BMI?
"About a nine on the tension scale there Rupe."

2travel2know

Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:25 am

Cayman Airways is government owned, so is Satena from Colombia (owned thru the Colombian Airforce) and Ecuadorean Tame.
During its last years in the 80's, Air Panama was goverment owned too.
If Nica still exists as a company, the Nicaraguan government is a partner of TA, same is the case of Aviateca, where the Guatemalan government is supposed to be a shareholder..
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

HiJazzey

Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:36 am

Quoting UAEflyer (Reply 3):
Emirates owned but not supported by Dubai Government, which means it is an investment project which should make profit at the end of the year. Air Arabia is 50% owned by Government and the rest for senior businessmen
Etihad, Qatar Airways, Kuwait Airways, Oman Air, Egypt Air, Saudi Arabian Airlines, Iran Air, Royal Jordanian, Yemnia are all owned and supported by government, in which the government do not expect a profit they just keep pumping cash in it.

Give me a break. There's no distinction between Emirates and other regional carriers. Mohammed bin Rashed has a lot of involvement with the airline. Call a spade a spade.

CYatUK

Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:38 am

With the possibility to be the only one in the world, Cypriot Government owns two airlines - Cyprus Airways and Eurocypria.

In the past ECA used to be a subsidiary of CY but last August in a move to help the national carrier come out of a financial crisis the Government purchased ECA. Hence today they own 70% of Cyprus Airways and 100% of Eurocypria.
CY@Uk

Someone83

Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting Coleplane (Reply 8):
Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 7):

Say, a bit off subject, but do you know if SAS still has shareholdings in BMI?

Yes, they have a 20% share in BMI.

and back to the topic. All the Scandinavian gov't own parts of SAS, just above 50% in total. The Swedish gov't owns 21,4%, while the Norwegian and Danish each owns 14,8%. However it can be classified as a rather passive ownership and they receive no support from any of the governments. I know both the Norwegian and Danish government for instance has deals with other companies on several routes and often use them instead of SAS.

ABpositive

Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:59 am

Indian airline, with its subsidiary Alliance Air, is fully owned by the Government of India.

Air India has an interesting set up in that the Government of India is a 49% share holder with an option to buy additional 2%.

BWIA 772

Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:11 am

In the Caribbean

Bahamasair
Caymanair
Air Jamaica
Caribbean Airlines ( Trinidad and Tobago the airline that replaced BWIA)
LIAT (50% owned by governments 50% by billionare Allan Stanford following the merger of his Caribbean Star and LIAT)
Cubana

Regards
Eagles Soar!

SLCUT2777

Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:35 am

Until about 1988, AC was a wholly owned Crown Corporation of the Federal Government of Canada. There are some parties there (most notably the NDP) who feel it should be re-nationalized.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

UAEflyer

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:49 pm

Quoting HiJazzey (Reply 10):
Mohammed bin Rashed has a lot of involvement with the airline

he have more important things to do than Emirates, do not mix Emirates with Saudi Airline where Prince Sultan control everything from A to Z. He even want to privatize it and hold the majority

legacyins

Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:15 pm

Air China is a fully owned government entity.

EK156

Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:27 pm

Quoting HiJazzey (Reply 10):
Give me a break. There's no distinction between Emirates and other regional carriers. Mohammed bin Rashed has a lot of involvement with the airline. Call a spade a spade.

Sorry but you are wrong here. the Chairman is Sheikh Ahmed and he handles all the affairs of EK and not Sheikh Mohammad .... and EK is an investment project and returns a profit. The Government does NOT pump any sort of money into it. It is a profitable company. It is doing extremely well and no one can believe that ...so that is why people insist that it is govt supported. The Govt does not pump any money.... EK is doing fine on it's own

UAEflyer

Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:17 pm

Quoting EK156 (Reply 19):
Sorry but you are wrong here. the Chairman is Sheikh Ahmed and he handles all the affairs of EK and not Sheikh Mohammad .... and EK is an investment project and returns a profit. The Government does NOT pump any sort of money into it. It is a profitable company. It is doing extremely well and no one can believe that ...so that is why people insist that it is govt supported. The Govt does not pump any money.... EK is doing fine on it's own

i second that

i dont know why some people not accepting that there is a successful company, is it a matter of being jealous?!

HiJazzey

Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:11 pm

huh? Jealous? More like you Imaratis being defensive.

I wish your country and airline all the best. I have no problem with you being successful, what I have a problem with is UAEflyer going out of his way to depict Emirates in one camp and all the other airlines in the region in another camp. That's bullshit. Emirates is a government owned and controlled airline. Why can't you admit that?

Anyway I'm out of this conversation, I have a feeling it would be a deaf's debate.

UAEflyer

Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting HiJazzey (Reply 21):
huh? Jealous? More like you Imaratis being defensive.

I wish your country and airline all the best. I have no problem with you being successful, what I have a problem with is UAEflyer going out of his way to depict Emirates in one camp and all the other airlines in the region in another camp. That's bullshit. Emirates is a government owned and controlled airline. Why can't you admit that?

Anyway I'm out of this conversation, I have a feeling it would be a deaf's debate.

i do agree you should be out of this, because all you have is misleading information about Emirates, and yes we are very defensive for right not for "bullshit" which you like to use against us.

Emirates is on one camp and that is a fact, Thanks God we live in same region but our mentality is much advanced and modernized than our neighbours.
If we go further than that the moderator will use his red cards!  scared 

TYCOON

Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:52 pm

Not to take sides on this, but if the question is state ownership than HiJazzey is right UAEflyer as you state that Emirates is government owned, albeit indirectly. Government ownership does not necessarily mean subsidization. Nothing wrong with government's investing in airlines. Air France-KLM has a minority shareholding indirectly by the French state and it is very profitable (but as we all know, it hasn't always been profitable).

mandala499

Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:56 pm

We got 2 government airlines... Garuda Indonesia and Merpati... add to that, the state oil company has an airline too, Pelita... so, 3 government airlines here...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

FFlyer

Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:52 pm

Government of Finland is the majority owner in Finnair, and as far as I have understood it, they are not going to give it up. What a shame, in my mind, and that kind of principle doesn's belong to today's Europe.

777jaah

Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:16 pm

Satena is the commercial branch of Colombia's Air Force, si its 100% owned by our goverment. Surprisingly, is a nice airline with a nice, modern a efficient fleet: E145 (5), E190 (1 delivered) and DO-28 (6). In fact Satena is very efficient doing its job, serving remote areas, and have a very profitable route BOG-EOH-BOG served exclusively by the E145. Also has a nice charter operation for tourism destinatios in the caribbean, such as Jamaica.

JAAH
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

Garri767

Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:18 pm

Wasn't gabon air owned by the government?

Garri767
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

FURUREFA

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:03 pm

The french government owns 44% of AF-KL.

Matt

vlada

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:25 pm

JAT Airways is 100% owned by Government of Serbia.

Regards,
Vlada

speedbirdegjj

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:36 pm

Aurigny (GR) is owned by the States of Guernsey, the 'government' of the Island so i guess they'd qualify.

The matter is however a touchy subject in the Island as many of the taxpayers feel that there is no need for this to be the case and would very much like the see the airline re privitised. The original move to purchase the airline came in 2004 when BA pulled out of GCI completed in a move to safeguard the LGW slots and ensure Flybe didnt enjoy a monopoly on the LGW route.

greenair727

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:34 am

I believe SAA is heavily subsidized by the South African government.