JETBLUEATASW
Topic Author

New To Website. Have Questions Seeking Answers

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:42 pm

Hello. I actually found your website through a friend of mine, who i just got back from chicago with on monday febuary 19th. We flew from LGA to MDW on Delta connection on an Embraer 170, and returned on ATA 737-800. My screenname is actually created by my favorite airlines. Today may have been my first experience with ATA, but i liked it. I hope the experts and the airline crew members and other employees dont mind answering the questions i am about to post. I actually wanted to be a pilot when i was younger, but i gave up on it because i never took SATs. I did find out that through flight school, u can become a commercial pilot i believe. However, is it required to have military experience to fly something like a Boeing 737-800 or a Airbus A320? Also, what is the difference between a First Officer and a Captain? First officer never really flies right? Also, which airlines have a good retirement plan? Also the size of the aircraft determines how much a pilot makes right? A new pilot, getting a job with someone small like United express or American Eagle doesnt really make alot of money, but can they transfer into a larger airline? Example, can an American Eagle first officer become a Captain of a boeing 757 that American Airlines flies? I know i have alot of questions, but i work in another major industry, and i had questions about an industry i wouldnt mind joining if it wasnt too late. Also is it possible for a commercial airline pilot to have a life? or is having a kids and expecting to stay married an impossible thing to do?

Again i appreciate anyone who answers my questions, and look forward to being a new member to the site.
"DO ME A FAVOR WOULD YA, THE NEXT TIME U LAND A PLANE ON MY STRIP, BONE UP ON YOUR MORSE CODE"-Tom Berenger

ADent

RE: New To Website. Have Questions Seeking Answers

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:02 pm

Quoting JETBLUEATASW (Thread starter):
However, is it required to have military experience to fly something like a Boeing 737-800 or a Airbus A320?

No.

Quote:
Also, what is the difference between a First Officer and a Captain?

Captain runs the ship. Basically it is senority in most cases, but it can vary.

Quote:
First officer never really flies right?

They usually switch off on every leg.

Quote:
Also, which airlines have a good retirement plan? Also the size of the aircraft determines how much a pilot makes right?

Pretty much - varies from airline to airline. Typ the 747 is a higher paying seat than a 717 on the same line.

Quote:
A new pilot, getting a job with someone small like United express or American Eagle doesnt really make alot of money, but can they transfer into a larger airline?

Typically not - but again it vaires.

Quote:
Example, can an American Eagle first officer become a Captain of a boeing 757 that American Airlines flies? I know i have alot of questions, but i work in another major industry, and i had questions about an industry i wouldnt mind joining if it wasnt too late. Also is it possible for a commercial airline pilot to have a life? or is having a kids and expecting to stay married an impossible thing to do?