Molykote
Topic Author

New US OCC To Be In PIT

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Having grown up in the Pittsburgh area I've been informed through trusted* hometown sources that the new US Airways OCC will be located in Pittsburgh. This should be announced in public by the end of the week.

My inclination is to believe that this announcement is simply the result of experience already on hand in Pittsburgh. I'm silently hoping this doesn't spawn the weekly "PIT Renaissance" thread.

* ---> or at least trusted to the point where I'll risk my "alias internet reputation" (worth approximately $1.22) on the statement.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

HPLASOps

RE: New US OCC To Be In PIT

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:08 pm

I find this to be a shock, if it's true. PIT did not show as much interest in hosting OCC/SOC as did PHX and CLT. Considering I'm going to be attending D/X school in a couple of months and hoping to get a D/X job with US, this may have an impact on my decision if the combined flight ops will be in PIT over PHX.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

DL WIDGET HEAD

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:25 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 1):
I find this to be a shock, if it's true.

Agreed. I thought PHX was a given considering the incentives that the city was offering. By the way, what is a D/X job?

[Edited 2007-02-20 09:35:18]

Molykote
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:04 pm

Latest update is that the OCC will be placed on county land near the airport adjacent to a (golf) driving range.

If I remember the area correctly from my youth in Pittsburgh, I believe this may be the Scully's (spelling?) driving range.

HPLASOps

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:09 pm

Quoting DL Widget Head (Reply 2):
By the way, what is a D/X job?

Dispatcher. Requires an FAA certificate.

Quoting Molykote (Reply 3):
Latest update is that the OCC will be placed on county land near the airport adjacent to a (golf) driving range.

Might I ask who your sources are?
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

USPIT10L

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:35 pm

If I remember the area correctly from my youth in Pittsburgh, I believe this may be the Scully's (spelling?) driving range.

That would be Scally's on Ewing Run Road. The Airport Ice Arena is near there, as is the former Bon-Air Golf Course. That may be where they're planning to build. When, may I ask, is this to be built? No offense, but what are your sources? I haven't heard anything detailed about this since the DL/US merger talk started.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

Molykote
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 4):

Might I ask who your sources are?

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 5):
No offense, but what are your sources?

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.  Smile

tooluther

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:47 pm

The County Exec is giving a "state of the county" speech today. I blew it off, but I wonder if he'll hint to anything. While I still have my doubts until something concrete shows up, this would be great news.

I still think US has thrown in a few non monetary calculations into their choice (ie dropping local o/d percentage as well as east coast operations over west coast ones) that would tip the scales towards a Pittsburgh location.

I hope there wasn't an under the table upping of the county's bid for the center though. This was getting out of controll!

pgh234

Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:59 pm

Putting a little more meat to this rumor...

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07052/763734-100.stm

Is this the first time in 6 years that PIT was not screwed?

-pgh234

HPRamper

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:10 pm

There is video here:
http://www.azcentral.com/12news/

Grats to PIT!

mah584jr

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:02 am

Good news for the city of Pittsburgh and the state of Pennsylvania.

jmc1975

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:59 am

As of now, there has yet to be any press release from US Airways and nothing is official at such agencies as AP or Reuters.

luketenley

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:05 am

I posted this when I heard it at 8 am this morning but for some reason it was deleted. This is definately good news for us here in Pittsburgh. We finally get some good news from US. US is supposed to have a press conference this afternoon sometime.
Pittsburgh International Airport lover

atlaaron

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:10 am

I live in the PIT area, anyone have any idea how I would go about getting one of these "new 150 jobs"?

luketenley

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:13 am

I'm sure they will announce something about the new jobs today during the press conference. I bet alot of the dislocated US employees will try for these as well.

pgh234

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:16 am

floridaflyboy

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting Pgh234 (Reply 8):

I believe it would be! It's a miracle  Smile
Good goes around!

Kohflot

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:48 am

Congrats to PIT, but condolences to the Cactus employees that have roots in the PHX area (and those who enjoy Arctic-free winters).

If I were an HP employee, I would think the biggest downside to this is moving away from a good non-revving hub. Sure, PHL is close.. but there will be plenty of times when finding a seat on those 6-7 nonstops a day will be impossible, and it'd be an even bigger problem getting stuck in PHL on the way home.

This comment is interesting too: "...we chose Pittsburgh for a variety of reasons, including the impact of relocating experienced employees from the Pittsburgh area..." I imagine the point of looking at CLT was to find a third location for everyone to go so there would be no favoritism. Again, condolences to the PHX folks.
Ask why..

OPNLguy

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:14 am

On the bright side, I think that many of the PHX folks will find that their home-buying dollar goes alot further in the PIT area... I can remember when the PSA was acquired and folks who sold ther SAN-area homes were able to find equivalent homes in the PIT area at a fraction of the SAN-area price....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

captaink

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:01 am

Congrats to PIT. I did my US CSA training in PIT, in those days the airport was quite busy, even with transatlantic flights. Kinda sucks for the employees to see the state of PIT now. Glad they at least got this.. Hope it works out.
There is something special about planes....

steeler83

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:12 am

I just about had heart failure when I saw the Post-Gazette article!!!

YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!  praise  champagne 

Yeah, and it's also a good place to do a little spotting. I used to do that AND play mini golf there  Smile

Quoting Pgh234 (Reply 8):

Yeah, really... Now if they'd restore some lost flights (in addition to seasonal SAN and SEA) it would all be good...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

LAXdude1023

Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:41 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 20):

YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!

HAHA, my first thought when I read this post was "wont Steeler83 be excited".  Wink

This is good news for PIT indeed. I hope they will add a few more flights to PIT.
It is what it is...

AGC525

Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:06 am

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 13):
live in the PIT area, anyone have any idea how I would go about getting one of these "new 150 jobs"?

Ditto for me! Any info would be great....
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

LASoctoberB6

Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:12 am

what is OCC and whats so good about PIT now? i dont understand......
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

mrstl

Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 20):

YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!

Congratulations PIT, hopefully this is a sign of better things to come with US, especially since DL did not work out.

midcon385

Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:18 am

Yeah, it's definitely PIT as my best friend is a dispatcher in PHX and he's going to have to move to PIT. The Operations Control Center (OCC) will be in PIT, but it's going to need to be built so I hear from my friend it'll be late 2008 or early 2009 before they actually will be up and running there as far as he knows. PIT is where the current USAirways (East) OCC is located so it's most economically smart in the long-term to have the company's integrated OCC in PIT (paraphrasing what I've read from the announcement the company made to their employees).

Tim
MidContinent Airlines: We Know How To Fly!

midcon385

Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:20 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 18):
think that many of the PHX folks will find that their home-buying dollar goes alot further in the PIT area

All the money goes a lot farther in PIT than PHX as I hear, plus the folks at PHX coming to PIT (at least the Dispatchers) are getting a major pay jump.

Tim

[Edited 2007-02-22 00:21:13]
MidContinent Airlines: We Know How To Fly!

atlaaron

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:09 am

Quoting MrSTL (Reply 24):
especially since DL did not work out.

What happened with DL?

BlueElephant

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:55 am

Congratulation to Pittsburgh, My Home town.

extremely glad US decided to keep their operations center in PIT.

I went to see it when i was 10 years old, and it was the coolest place.

I wish Best of Luck with US at PIT....Hope to see more mainline flights soon (crossing fingers  Smile)

steeler83

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:59 pm

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 27):
Quoting MrSTL (Reply 24):
especially since DL did not work out.

What happened with DL?

US withdrew it/the creditors saw DL doing better as a stand-alone carrier, er something of the type. Either way you slice it, the US/DL merger crashed and burned...

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 28):
Congratulation to Pittsburgh, My Home town.

extremely glad US decided to keep their operations center in PIT.

I went to see it when i was 10 years old, and it was the coolest place.

Imagine what the new one is going to look like!!!! Big grin
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

luketenley

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:22 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 23):
what is OCC and whats so good about PIT now? i dont understand......

Must you ask about PIT? PIT is a fantastic facility that got screwed over when US took away the hub status. Search for Pittsburgh and I'm sure you will find tons of articles with why PIT is to good.

jmc1975

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 13):
I live in the PIT area, anyone have any idea how I would go about getting one of these "new 150 jobs"?

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 22):
Ditto for me! Any info would be great....

What kind of experience do you bring to the table? Would you outqualify the PHX employees that will be transferring to PIT, which are expected to make up a majority of the 150 jobs? Those are the questions you must ask yourselves.

steeler83

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:41 pm

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 30):
Must you ask about PIT? PIT is a fantastic facility that got screwed over when US took away the hub status.

Well, this is actually half-right... Stephen Wolf was the CEO who pretty much screwed the airline big time. He was a joke of a CEO. I forget when he was the CEO; I think before Bruce took over in 2002 or '03 or whenever that was. 9-11 happened and that put a huge dent in US' operation as well as their finances.

Relating this to PIT... well, PIT was US' largest base at the time of 9-11. People were no longer flying period, and especially with the high fares US was charging. US wanted the landing fees to be lowered so that the losses wouldn't be too severe, but the ACAA did not work with US at all... They were bankrupt at the time for the first time when this was happening. They exited bk in 2003 but went right back in the spring of 2004... During this second time through bankruptcy protection, US decided it could no longer afford to keep PIT open as a hub. As of Mid December, 2004, the hub was gone...

US did make a mistake in this regard though. In a September 2003 press conference, according to the archived PRs at flypittsburgh.com, US promised that the US hub would stay. Evidently that did not happen... They knew that they were losing money at PIT and that the ACAA would not cut them any slack, so why did US management at the time make the promise that they could not keep? I still ponder that...

WesternA318

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:42 pm

Well, looks like our friend Steeler83 is having a coronary over the good news, I might have to flyout and start the Defibrillator.. rotfl  This is indeed excellent news for PIT!
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

N670UW

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:08 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 32):
Well, this is actually half-right... Stephen Wolf was the CEO who pretty much screwed the airline big time. He was a joke of a CEO. I forget when he was the CEO; I think before Bruce took over in 2002 or '03 or whenever that was. 9-11 happened and that put a huge dent in US' operation as well as their finances

I don't know if Wolf was a 'joke' of a CEO. While he and Gangwal certainly had their flaws during their management period, particularly in the management-labor relations side of things, and many employees won't remember him fondly, Wolf did some good things for US Airways.

He re-branded the carrier from USAir to US Airways, introducing the professional-looking dark blue color scheme and the flag logo, shedding the silver USAir image (and the issues associated with it that occurred during the late 80s/early 90s). His management placed the massive Airbus order, and, while in hindsight probably not the best financial decision, was a major improvement to the fleet at the time, which was a hodgepodge of many types of small mainline aircraft. US introduced the A330 and Envoy Class during that time, and really began the expansion push into Europe and the Caribbean (he pushed the phrase "Global Carrier of Choice" around pretty often). And US had a pretty decent onboard product around that time, as well.

US was also making money in the late 90's, and while most carriers were at the time, not many US CEO's can say US was profitable during their time.  

But then there are also the issues of the failed United merger, the MetroJet venture, and the failure to control costs pre-9/11, which partially led US to be so unprepared for the industry downturn that followed, and the first legacy carrier to declare bankruptcy.  

Now Dave Siegel, you can call him a joke. I still remember his famous speech to pilots (I believe) when Southwest announced PHL: "They're coming to kill us."  Silly

[Edited 2007-02-22 06:10:49]

WesternA318

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:16 pm

Quoting N670UW (Reply 34):
He re-branded the carrier from USAir to US Airways, introducing the professional-looking dark blue color scheme and the flag logo,

Yep, to basically a United plane flying upside down...I love thenew US scheme..a much BETTER improvement..
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

mah584jr

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:23 pm

But then there are also the issues of the failed United merger, the MetroJet venture, and the failure to control costs pre-9/11, which partially led US to be so unprepared for the industry downturn that followed, and the first legacy carrier to declare bankruptcy. Smile

While I agree that he may have done some positive things, I think overall he did a poor job of management. I think he had a real problem managing the company's finances. The two bankruptcies that followed were demoralizing for everyone associated with the company.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 29):
Imagine what the new one is going to look like!!!! Big grin

It's really great to see all the excitement coming from the PIT fans, but just because a new operations center is going up doesn't mean that the actual airport will see any significant changes in terms of US's operations there.

a/c dxer

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:30 pm

I was real surprised it went to pit. I can understand one side of it due to the experience level in pit but if you look at it how many from pit would actually move to phx?

steeler83

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:10 am

Now Dave Siegel, you can call him a joke. I still remember his famous speech to pilots (I believe) when Southwest announced PHL: "They're coming to kill us."

Oh yeah, THAT whas the schmuck who lied to PIT and broke the promises. Sorry, there have been so many CEO changes for US in 5 or 6 years before the US/HP deal I lost track of who did what...

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 33):
Well, looks like our friend Steeler83 is having a coronary over the good news, I might have to flyout and start the Defibrillator.. This is indeed excellent news for PIT!

Oh you're a riot!

But I found something rather interesting in today's Post-Gazette article,

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07053/764099-28.stm

Quote:
Pittsburgh was such a strong candidate for the center that a proposed takeover of Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines -- a bid rejected by Delta creditors last month -- would not have made any difference in the decision announced yesterday.

"We would have still put it here," Mr. Kirby said.

I am just curious as to how many employees DL has at ITS ops center at ATL. I am sure it is bigger than the one at PIT. That would involve moving all of THEM up to PIT. Is this just Kirby speaking sweet words? I think what he said is incredible nonetheless, but all things considered...

Quoting A/c dxer (Reply 37):
I was real surprised it went to pit. I can understand one side of it due to the experience level in pit but if you look at it how many from pit would actually move to phx?

What I just posted here regarding the DL merger if that would have gone through, what you posted kinda refers to that.

I really think this is great and somewhat of a miracle that US chose PIT after all, granted it's only 150 added jobs. But this has to be the first time that US has added jobs since the hub was dropped...

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:55 am

Congrats to PIT & US

A great, completely underrated city. It has a lot of character, pride, and stuff to do. You get a lot of value for your money in terms of housing costs. Plus there is a lot of outdoors stuff to do in the area, its a great sports town, a nice downtown/entertainment areas. People in PIT have roots, does anyone actually have roots in Arizona?? It always seems that no one is actually from AZ, and its very transient.

As for the rationale, an East Coast ops center makes a lot more sense than a West Coast center, considering how the majority of operational issues/weather in the system occur in the eastern half of the country. Especially with PHL and to a lesser extent CLT. You don't have to deal with the time-change issues. Such as the 5:30am/6am East Coast departures, if you were on the West Coast that would be 3am. You would need a lot more people working the backside of the clock. I'm sure PIT made a deal they couldn't refuse, plus its good PR for them in PIT after they have taken a complete beating for all of the cuts.

OPNLguy

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:22 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 39):
As for the rationale, an East Coast ops center makes a lot more sense than a West Coast center, considering how the majority of operational issues/weather in the system occur in the eastern half of the country. Especially with PHL and to a lesser extent CLT. You don't have to deal with the time-change issues. Such as the 5:30am/6am East Coast departures, if you were on the West Coast that would be 3am. You would need a lot more people working the backside of the clock.

I agree completely. With the bulk of their ops east of the Mississippi and especially on the east coast, shift start times for those sectors would have been 0500-1300, 1300-2100, and 2100-0500. That's what our east coast desks 1-4 at SWA run, and USA would run alot more than that, and those shifts translated into PHX time would have been real killers.

Congrats to PIT, and condolences to the PHX folks who don't want to move. Maybe their minds will be changed once they realize they really don't miss those 110-118 degree days in PHX. (I'd guess that there are moe of them than there are snow days in PIT). In any event, I hope we end up adding some PIT-PHX non-stops for those who want to make a weekly commute. We're CASS, and you're always welcome....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

steeler83

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 39):
A great, completely underrated city. It has a lot of character, pride, and stuff to do. You get a lot of value for your money in terms of housing costs. Plus there is a lot of outdoors stuff to do in the area, its a great sports town, a nice downtown/entertainment areas. People in PIT have roots, does anyone actually have roots in Arizona?? It always seems that no one is actually from AZ, and its very transient.

I like the compliments! Thanks a lot!  Smile

Pittsburgh does have its culture and everything else that you said above. South side went from being a filty smokey steel mill neighborhood to a very vibrant one. When I worked at a convenience store dahn there and would get off at 11:30 at night, there as a lot of traffic! That place really comes alive at night! Some of the pubs and bars would have lines outside the buildings. Jack's Pub on Carson Street would have a line going down the street and across I think 12th street and onto the next block! When my girlfriend and I fly there in a couple of weeks, we're going down to Nakkima Japanese restaurant at 17th and Carson. That is supposed to be the best hibachi place in the region. There are a lot of other trendy pubs in Southside as well. The Cultural District is a rapidly growing area, and the downtown 5th-Forbes Market corridors just might be getting some life back. Millionaire developers are really investing in revitalizing downtown, and there is a lot of demand there, especially in residential but also retail now because of the residential growth.

Mayor Murphy tried to revitalize downtown, but he planned for different projects, such as the Lord & Taylor department store, but there was no market for that. There was almost nobody living down there at the time. Now, there are tons of condo/apartment projects going up down there. Many of them aren't even built yet and they are already filling up. There are some 2,000 units being constructed now, which would mean that as many as 2,000 - 4,000 or so residents would be expected to move in (4,000 providing that the people buying the apartments/condos are couples). Previous PG articles stated that Downtown's population could be as high as 10,000 residents by 2020 or 2030.

Luke Ravenshawl is also trying to raze blighted buildings in some of the poorest communities of the city. There was an article in the paper about this the other day.

As for PIT taking a beating from the US cuts. Yeah, the whole city suffered, and not just by US... Look at the steel industry collapse from the 1980s and into the 1990s. Before that happened, Pittsburgh had some 500,000-plus residents. That number has been reduced to just a measily, puny, pathetic, feeble 317,000 residents. 100,000 people lost their jobs, and that was just in Pittsburgh, when the mills closed. Granted, there weren't 100,000 people directly employed by the mills, but other people's business were supported almost solely because of the mills. I know of a bakery in Southside that went out of business when the J&L plant closed, and that is just one of many...

I hope that things will start on the up and up from this point on. May happy days be here again for a region that has been under a cloud for decades, and I am not referring to the literal cloud of soot from the mills either!