ltbewr

"Dirty Jobs" Show Feb. 20 - WN Baggage Loader

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:13 am

Based on the ads, tonight (Feb. 20th) the Discovery Channel program 'Dirty Jobs' will show the 'Dirty Job doer' take on the job of bag loader for a shift at WN. Apparently it shows it as a difficult and demand job and a good look at it.

Dougloid

RE: "Dirty Jobs" Show Feb. 20 - WN Baggage Loader

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:14 am

Cool! I've archived the one where he went into a KC135 fuel tank.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

SNATH

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:16 am

Yep, saw that too. I can't wait! I love Dirty Jobs!

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

KevinSmith

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Thread starter):
pparently it shows it as a difficult and demand job and a good look at it.

I was gonna ask, how dirty is the job?
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

MCOflyer

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 3):

I guess dirtier than emptying a lav on a 747. Anyone got the time for the show?

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

N353SK

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:34 am

The dirtiness of ramping depends entirely on the weather. I would argue that ramping on a sunny day isn't too dirty, but I'm still looking forward to seeing the show!

Goldenshield

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:34 am

Compared to some of the jobs I've seen on that show, ramping is a piece of cake. Sure, you'll sweat, but except in rare cases, you won't get dirty. With proper protocols, even dumping the lav is a non-event.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

BrettFromCLT

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 4):
Anyone got the time for the show?

The new episode is on Discovery at 9pm et/pt 20 Feb 2007. Also, the KC-135 fuel tank cleaner episode is scheduled to be re-ran Mar 18 2007 @ 03:00 pm et/pt.

(edit for date/time cleanup)

[Edited 2007-02-20 17:45:26]

njintern

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:35 am

This episode, plus one that will run at a later date, were filmed at Kansas City International Airport (MCI). The airport issued a press release last week, which can be found at http://www.flykci.com/NewsRoom/NewsRoom/156.htm

N353SK

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:41 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 6):
With proper protocols, even dumping the lav is a non-event.

Unfortunately, proper protocols aren't always followed, so perhaps the show will stage a "lav emptying accident." I can say from experience that if the blue kool aid gets spilled on the ramp it stinks up about a 200 yard radius.

Although, I've gotten bags crawling with roaches, and boxes of fish that had missed their original flight and were no longer frozen (i'm sure you're getting the picture)

ual757

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:01 am

One word..... TiVo. Set to record.  Big grin

cirrusdriver

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:06 am

Compared to some of the jobs I've seen on that show, ramping is a piece of cake. Sure, you'll sweat, but except in rare cases, you won't get dirty. With proper protocols, even dumping the lav is a non-event.

Yeah, standing directly under the lav panel would certainly make the job a dirty one! Unless you wear gloves, pants, and long sleeve shirts (not likely in a place like PHX durring the summer) while "ramping" you WILL get dirty. Especially if you like to work the pits, the sides of your legs and forearms are covered with "dirt".

sw733

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting Njintern (Reply 8):
episode, plus one that will run at a later date, were filmed at Kansas City International Airport (MCI).

Yay, my home airport, even better! I love this show, Mike Rowe never ceases to crack me up. Can't wait, got it all set up on the TiVo too in case something comes up!

Goldenshield

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting CirrusDriver (Reply 11):
Yeah, standing directly under the lav panel would certainly make the job a dirty one! Unless you wear gloves, pants, and long sleeve shirts (not likely in a place like PHX durring the summer) while "ramping" you WILL get dirty. Especially if you like to work the pits, the sides of your legs and forearms are covered with "dirt".

That's why I'm saying "with proper protocols."

I'm not sure where you've worked, but on a normal day,I've never gotten dirty working in the bin—even with shorts, t-shirt and knee pads. In fact, that's the cleanest part of the job. Where I worked, it was the days with the Santa Ana winds that made it dirty.

Quoting N353SK (Reply 9):
Although, I've gotten bags crawling with roaches, and boxes of fish that had missed their original flight and were no longer frozen (i'm sure you're getting the picture)

I've had to handle HR's where the religion didn't allow the body to be filled with chemicals. Those were no fun. Oh, and the dogs that were travelling pretty far and had no where else to go.  vomit 
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

cirrusdriver

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:32 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 13):
That's why I'm saying "with proper protocols."

I figured that was what you meant. I was adding to it.  Wink

I'm not sure where you've worked, but on a normal day,I've never gotten dirty working in the bin—even with shorts, t-shirt and knee pads. In fact, that's the cleanest part of the job. Where I worked, it was the days with the Santa Ana winds that made it dirty.

I worked on the ramp for UA for 11 years. SEA, SFO, PDX and PHX. Funny enough I hardly ever got dirty working the pits in PHX. In SEA and PDX, however, is another story. It was so bad that we folded radome wipes and placed them under the kneepads to keep our legs clean. Most bags are dirty, and if you do not wear gloves when working then you find this out very quickly!

Lono

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:33 am

Compared to some of the jobs I've seen on that show, ramping is a piece of cake.

Hmmmmmm working the ANC ramp back in the day I remember everything covered in black goo caused by de-icing fluid reacting with the black pavement..very dirty work indeed
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

flyorski

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:37 am

Cant wait to see it....

TiVo set...
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

Silver1SWA
Crew

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:40 am

Haha, wow. I'm not sure whether I should be excited and feel honored that my job is getting this kind of attention, or bothered...

I don't consider the job to be THAT dirty, but it is dirty enough to turn these...

...into these in just a couple of days lol...

However, I assume lav dumping will be featured. If MCI's ramp does provo, that is pretty dirty too. I had no idea how dirty provo was til I got to SAN and had to start doing it. Oh and then there is shipments of seafood/crabs. That gets messy and stinky. Yuck...

Also, if it rains, by the end of the day you come out smelling like a dirty sock.

[Edited 2007-02-20 21:41:27]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

N231YE

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:21 am

Just a reminder...the show is on now, and the WN segment should be on shortly.

andessmf

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:26 am

I wonder if some WN ramp rat will 'accidentally' give Mike Rowe a bath... biggrin 

Thanks for the heads up!

TransWorldSTL

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:31 am

I love how they introduced MCI as "one of the busiest airports in the country"... Well, I'd love to see Mike Rowe working at ATL or ORD, where the connecting bags have a lot more flights to get to, and at a quicker pace..

N231YE

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:00 pm

I thought the part was slightly disappointing...they only focused a few minutes on the airplane/ramp/baggage handlers, and the rest was on fixing an incinerator.

af773atmsp

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:05 pm

I just saw that. Very funny when he was burning foreign trash.  laughing 
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

mirrodie

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:09 pm

Quoting N231YE (Reply 21):
thought the part was slightly disappointing...they only focused a few minutes on the airplane/ramp/baggage handlers, and the rest was on fixing an incinerator.

I agree. It was a bit of a let down. At one point, my wife asked, "what' is so dirty to warrant putting it on the show?"
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

foxecho

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:15 pm

Talk about a rare shot, one of our 763s went by the camera on a Cheifs charter which I worked that day, I think it was around Dec 15th

Andrew
JFK/MEM/MCI
..uh, we'll need that to live......

AirTranTUS

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:37 pm

I also wish they would have showed more about the loading. Organizing it would have been interesting to see more of too. The bags that continue with the plane, the bags that had to be transferred, and the bags that got off at the next stop.

It was also funny how he was talking about first class pax before pushback. Guess he's never flown WN before.

Driving the pushback tractor would have been an interesting experience. Anyone catch the piece at the end of the show where he was in the left seat of a 733 and one of the rampers was in the right seat while the plane was pushed back and then pulled in? He used the PA in the plane, while some other rampers appeared to be resting in the back.
I love ASO!

L-188

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:39 pm

Good Show, but it Mike Rowe really wants to learn what it is like to load an airplane, he should come up here when a fishing season is ending.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

N353SK

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:00 pm

I've had to handle HR's where the religion didn't allow the body to be filled with chemicals. Those were no fun. Oh, and the dogs that were travelling pretty far and had no where else to go.   

eeew. Makes me glad I worked for a regional whose aircraft were too small to even fit caskets. As far as dogs, I can recall one beagle puppy we had in the ramp room (on a long connection, couldn't leave such a cute pup outside for 4 hours) who decided to poop through the slats in his travel kennel and right onto the table where I ate my lunch! Praise him for being smart, I guess.

United767

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:25 pm

it all depends on what type of day it is. On a nice summer day, it is still a some what clean job. If it ever is snowing like it was on Sunday in IAD, and you are stuck in the de-icing bucket like I was getting covered in glycol it is an entirely different story.
I wish UA flew mainline to MYR, that way you wouldn't be stuck in a smelly Saturn for 12 hours.

MidEx216

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:54 pm

I thought the ramp part of the show was rather disappointing. The bagroom and in the bins are somewhat strenuous, sure, but they completely missed the lavs, and well, any form of pushing or pulling anything really...as I said, disappointing.

af773atmsp

Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:54 pm

I saw the part when he was in the cockpit, also very funny.  laughing 
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

njintern

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 20):
I love how they introduced MCI as "one of the busiest airports in the country"...

I'm pretty sure the statement was one of the largest, not busiest. In terms of land mass, MCI covers 10,000 acres, according to wikipedia. Atlanta has 4,700 acres in the total airport area while O'Hare has 7,700 acres.

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 25):
while some other rampers appeared to be resting in the back.

I believe those were members of the film crew. The dark haired guy was also in the incinerator clip.

Just wanted to clarify.

I enjoyed the part when "Doug" was asked why international trash is burned. His response? "Bugs, drugs, and confidential papers", LOL!

Sinlock

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:55 am

I'll have to try that "lying on the back and roll the bag across your chest and the benchpress it onto the top of the stack" technique he did.  no 

I'm sure the WN flightcrew loved that 1.5mph push back also.

[Edited 2007-02-21 16:58:41]

EasternSon

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:30 am

Was anyone else amazed that he was allowed to drive the bag tractor and pushback tug?

I assumed that there were huge insurance issues with handing the controls to someone who is unfamiliar with equipment. He could've accidentally hit an engine with the tractor, or God forbid, something could've gone wrong on pushback.

I am not an airport or airline employee, and I had to sign waivers and was unable to even touch ground equipment when I was on the tarmac at EWR.

Please don't take it as being hyper-critical, I love the show. I was just very surprised what he was able to do.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

mirrodie

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 26):
but it Mike Rowe really wants to learn what it is like to load an airplane,

well, he only did what he was told, right? Too bad they didnt work him on the lavs.

I have seen a photo of a Concorde with a lav issue at supersonic speed. Pretty gross seeing brown blue and green streaks along the normally clean lines of that plane.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

detroitflyer

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:07 am

damn i never knew ramp agents had to dump the lavs!!! Disgusting
Boiler Up!!!

Goldenshield

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:12 am

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 33):
I assumed that there were huge insurance issues with handing the controls to someone who is unfamiliar with equipment. He could've accidentally hit an engine with the tractor, or God forbid, something could've gone wrong on pushback.

How else do you think people become proficient with the equipment? Do you find the nearest matrix plug-in station and have it uploaded into your brain?

[Edited 2007-02-21 19:13:43]

TransWorldSTL

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting Njintern (Reply 31):
Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 20):
I love how they introduced MCI as "one of the busiest airports in the country"...

I'm pretty sure the statement was one of the largest, not busiest. In terms of land mass, MCI covers 10,000 acres, according to wikipedia. Atlanta has 4,700 acres in the total airport area while O'Hare has 7,700 acres.

Well, it was misleading then, because they began spewing numbers of flights right after it.

EasternSon

Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:25 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 36):
How else do you think people become proficient with the equipment? Do you find the nearest matrix plug-in station and have it uploaded into your brain?

First off, your attempt at humor was incredibly lame.

Secondly, I was remarking that as NON-AIRLINE, NON-AIRPORT personnel, I was surprised that there weren't insurance issues. If you're en employee you're covered by airline and/or airport insurance.

Lastly, I'm not familiar with training for ground equipment operators, but I'm pretty sure the first time they're taught how to use a tractor or a tug, they're not sitting at the controls under an aircraft.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

cjbmibe

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:32 am

Quoting Detroitflyer (Reply 35):
damn i never knew ramp agents had to dump the lavs!!! Disgusting

I work the ramp in BHD and not once have I had to or have any of the guys had to clean the toilets. The inflight cleaners & caterers do that.

Ramping isnt particularly dirty, it can be busy and you might get a sweat or you'll scuff your feet on the trolley tyres or carousels, but other than that its not dirty. Some bags are mucky but I grab them by the handles, and usually theres no dirt there.

As most of our airlines charge for checked in bags here theres actually been a reduction in my work loads (but not my wages). Some bags are huge and theres been times the girls on checkin send us 35kg bags - 3 kilos over the limit, and even then when its busy having to haul a 32kg bag is hard enough.
BHD is more an O&D airport rather than transit, although it is a BE base. Last week we had a bag doing GLA - BHD - MAN.... which is a strange routing, like MCO - LAX - JFK. Just today we got BHD - LHR - ABZ, and that really is going the wrong direction, especially when its a direct routing with BE.
How can I soar like an Eagle when I have to work with these turkeys?

Goldenshield

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 38):

First off, your attempt at humor was incredibly lame

Only to you. I know there are others out there that DID enjoy the joke.

Secondly, I was remarking that as NON-AIRLINE, NON-AIRPORT personnel, I was surprised that there weren't insurance issues. If you're en employee you're covered by airline and/or airport insurance.

It's very possible for the film crews to have isurance for those possibilities. However, perhaps you weren't paying attention, but there was a trained ramper—most likely a trainer—sitting right next to him telling him what to do.

Lastly, I'm not familiar with training for ground equipment operators, but I'm pretty sure the first time they're taught how to use a tractor or a tug, they're not sitting at the controls under an aircraft.

You'd be surprised. Also, it's quite possible that MCI is a training station that has a practice dummy (I know that HP at SNA does) that was used prior to putting him on the real thing, despite the dummy being much harder to control than a real aircraft. Remember, TV time is pretty fast, and they only spent a mere 10 minutes max on the subject.

litz

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:02 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 40):
Remember, TV time is pretty fast, and they only spent a mere 10 minutes max on the subject.

For those who don't know what "TV Time" is ... that 10 minute segment on WN, probably took the better part of an entire day (or two) to shoot, and of all that footage, only 10 mins actually made the show.

It's entirely possible that Mike Rowe (the host) got enough training time in on the tractor before he pushed a real aircraft that he was able to do so safely, w/supervision.

I'm pretty sure Southwest would have never let him do so, otherwise. That airplane is a valuable asset, after all!

- litz

gunsontheroof

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:08 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 17):

Not to digress too much from the topic, but Chucks wear pretty quickly regardless of what you're doing in them. Every pair I've ever had has looked like that (or worse) within a week of daily wear. After a year or so, they're looking pretty torn up. All the better I say, they look cheesy as hell when they're brand new.

So maybe what I'm saying is that you're not providing a very effective example...we can continue this debate in a thread about shoe durability if you like.  Wink