cubastar

Doug Parker Sentenced

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:41 am

Parker sentenced to 24 hour jail time. Must surrender March 15. Also approx $1600 fine. (Yahoo news and Reuters.)

Lumberton

RE: Doug Parker Sentenced

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:43 am

That was fast! Probably best to get this behind him. BTW, he earned my respect by facing the consequences w/o hiring a phalanx of lawyers and blaming the liquor companies & the bartenders.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

cubastar

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:49 am

S5FA170

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:52 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 1):
BTW, he earned my respect by facing the consequences w/o hiring a phalanx of lawyers and blaming the liquor companies & the bartenders.

After this third DUI he shouldn't be earning anyone's respect, in my opinion.
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

SpencerII

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:53 am

Here is a tv article, with his mug shot

http://www.kpho.com/news/11063807/detail.html

DAYflyer

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting S5FA170 (Reply 3):

3 strikes with me too. One day he may kill someone if he keeps it up.
One Nation Under God

StuckInCA

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:56 am

After this third DUI he shouldn't be earning anyone's respect, in my opinion

No kidding. Does he get to keep his job? In many professions, you'd be out. In fact, in California a teacher would lose their credential for just one DUI.

rdwelch

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:56 am

This is his third? Where'd you see that?

Gus.
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

Lumberton

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:58 am

Where's the love here?  duck 
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

N666FU

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 6):
No kidding. Does he get to keep his job? In many professions, you'd be out. In fact, in California a teacher would lose their credential for just one DUI.

Any of his rampers would have been fired on the first one.
KEPT DELTA OUR DELTA! Ask USAirPlatinum about it!

falstaff

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:04 am

Lots of employers don't want the insurance problems either, same goes for drug offenders. I think it is wrong. Once you have completed your sentence you should not be further punished by making it hard for a person to get a job. That goes for any crime, but that is for another thread.

Quoting Cubastar (Thread starter):
Parker sentenced to 24 hour jail time.

Must be nice have money. I wouldn't get off that easy for even one DWI.

That was fast! Probably best to get this behind him.

That is one fast court system. Nothing moves that quick in Detroit.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

jkudall

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 10):
That is one fast court system. Nothing moves that quick in Detroit.

Probably because in this case there was no trial. He plead guilty.

DAYflyer

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting Jkudall (Reply 11):
Probably because in this case there was no trial. He plead guilty.

Gotta give him credit for that much if nothing else.
One Nation Under God

AirframeAS

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:26 am

Does he get to keep his job? In many professions, you'd be out.

I wonder what the HP/US Board of Directors will do with him now that this is DUI #3.

Quoting N666FU (Reply 9):

True, but you got to remember, Parker isn't an airline employee. He is an officer of an airline, the CEO. Two totally different different things. Only he can fire himself OR....the Board of Directors will vote him out. I say he should be a class act and resign. Having a DUI in any manner is unacceptable and unprofessional. It just tarnishes your company's image.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

litz

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:28 am

As for how quick it was, he didn't contest the charge. That kinda fast-tracks things.

Does he lose his license? What are the penalties for a third time offender in AZ ?

Most important thing is to keep a repeat DUI'er off the roads ... they're less likely to kill one of the rest of us that way.

(and that goes for ANY repeat DUI'er ... not just those that run major airlines)

- litz

HPRamper

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:30 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 13):
I wonder what the HP/US Board of Directors will do with him now that this is DUI #3.

And the others were when he was in his 20s and not even associated with an airline.

DiscoverCSG

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:32 am

Not to mention his pilots ...

AirframeAS

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting DiscoverCSG (Reply 16):
Not to mention his pilots ...

And the A&P's.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Evan767

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:38 am

What a sad..sad.. man.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

A330323X

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:41 am

BTW, he earned my respect by facing the consequences w/o hiring a phalanx of lawyers and blaming the liquor companies & the bartenders.

No lawyers? You mean like how he refused a breathalyzer test in the field, and then only consented to a blood test after talking to his attorney?

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 15):
And the others were when he was in his 20s and not even associated with an airline.

Actually, one of the misdemeanors occurred in 1991 when he was working for American Airlines. Coincidentally or not, that's also the year he left American.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

SLCUT2777

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 10):
Must be nice have money. I wouldn't get off that easy for even one DWI.

The fact that he had a previous DUI in Texas (back at age 29--in 1991) in all likelihood meant the judge had no choice but to force him into the jail cell for a 24 hour period. Would the HP+US Board force him out? Probably not, but put him on a shorter leash, yes!
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

DeltaGuy

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:56 am

Glad to see this bozo won't be taking the reins of Delta anytime soon.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

necigrad

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 17):
And the A&P's.

No, they wouldn't. A DUI is not a disqualifying or terminable offense for the rank and file. The ONLY ways it would affect someone is if you missed work due to no shows, and in the case of certificated employees, if their certificate or medical was pulled. A ramper might get fired if his drivers license got revoked too, as he can't do his job with no license. You do not get fired at US for a DUI.

cityguy

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:20 am

That was fast! Probably best to get this behind him. BTW, he earned my respect by facing the consequences w/o hiring a phalanx of lawyers and blaming the liquor companies & the bartenders.

Respect? For having multiple DUI's??? He is a drunk and irresponsible and he keeps his JOB??? I would have been fired same day.

Where is the OUTRAGE?

DLPMMM

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:25 am

This sounds like a problem with California's politically correct culture.

I don't like US Airways or America West Airlines, but some of you people should get the heck off of Parker's back! He blew a .096, just barely over the limit in AZ and not over the limit in many states. Ten years ago or so, this was not over the limit in any state. He did not cause any accidents nor cause any injuries.

But for the grace of god.....

How many of you talk on your cell phones while driving, or eat, or drink, or put on make-up, or adjust the radio... all of which could distract you enough to cause an accident.

Cactus742

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:29 am

Not condoning what he did, but teachers, pilots, etc. have government regs to abide by. CEOs don't. It's strictly up to the board of directors. It's an entirely different standard.
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

EvilForce

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:34 am

More importantly, what series BMW does he drive? I'll reserve judgement until then.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

ANCFlyer

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting Rdwelch (Reply 7):

Old news. See the original thread.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 13):

Nothing. Not a damn thing. He's turned US around - or is turning US around and HP is taking a giant step forward into the "Big Leagues". And thus far, it's all working - more or less - okay.

They aren't going to do a damn thing . . . maybe buy him a bottle of scotch when he gets outta the klink?

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 21):
Glad to see this bozo won't be taking the reins of Delta anytime soon.

More off topic BS.  sarcastic 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AsstChiefMark

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:48 am

24 hours in jail and $1600 for a 3rd DWI? That seems pretty light. If that's what Arizona's sentencing guidelines require, their laws need to be upgraded. In Wisconsin, you get 30 days to 6 months in jail, a $2000 fine, and lose ownership of your vehicle. And license revocation for 3 years.

Mark

[Edited 2007-02-20 22:55:22]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

rdwelch

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:49 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 28):

Old news. See the original thread.

I didn't get that info from the TS's link. I guess I've been out of the loop and didn't know he had prior incidents and I wanted to read all the dirt on it. As I read the other member's comments, that filled in my information gaps.

Gus
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

luketenley

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 29):
24 hours in jail and $1600 for a 3rd DWI? That seems pretty light. If that's what Arizona's sentencing guidelines require, their laws need to be upgraded. In Wisconsin, you get 30 days to 6 months in jail, a $2000 fine, and lose ownership of your vehicle.

Mark

Pennsylvania is alot worse then that. I know a guy who just got his first and will be in jail for 60 days plus tons of fines. Ohio is lighter on you as well. I guess it just depends what state you are from.
Pittsburgh International Airport lover

EvilForce

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:01 am

Those other DUI's were from over 20 years ago.

Most states only take into consideration prior convictions going back 5 to 10 years max.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

SLCUT2777

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:04 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 25):
I don't like US Airways or America West Airlines, but some of you people should get the heck off of Parker's back! He blew a .096, just barely over the limit in AZ and not over the limit in many states. Ten years ago or so, this was not over the limit in any state. He did not cause any accidents nor cause any injuries.

Keep in mind it has been .08 in Utah since the 1970s, and California lowered their limit to that in the late 1980s. After that, several states followed very quickly. There is some political movement to make .06 or .05 the legal limit since that is how it is over in Europe. "Driving buzzed is driving drunk" is the latest motto going around, and obviously Parker had more than a couple of .068 beers that evening.

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 5):
3 strikes with me too. One day he may kill someone if he keeps it up.

Let's hope he doesn't pull a Ted Kennedy. Senator Kennedy knows Chappaquiddick has cost him much of the respect his late brothers had.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

EvilForce

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:05 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 31):

Sorry, but PA's laws regarding the BAC of Mr. Parker wouldn't merit him ANY jail time at all.

Pennsylvania Code Section - § 3804. DAI Penalties

(a) General impairment.—An individual who violates section 3802(a) (relating to driving under influence of alcohol or controlled substance) shall be sentenced as follows:

(1) For a first offense, to:
(i) undergo a period of probation not to exceed six months;
(ii) pay a fine of $300;
(iii) attend an alcohol highway safety school approved by the department; and
(iv) comply with all drug and alcohol treatment requirements imposed under sections 3814 (relating to drug and alcohol assessments) and 3815 (relating to mandatory sentencing).

S5FA170

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 34):

Thats for a first offense. This is his third. How long ago do they not count anymore to where he would be considered having his first "offense"?

EvilForce

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:18 am

Quoting S5FA170 (Reply 35):
Thats for a first offense. This is his third. How long ago do they not count anymore to where he would be considered having his first "offense"?

In Arizona it's 5 years. Mr. Parker's last DUI was about 20 years ago. So to the court this is his first DUI.

S5FA170

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 36):
So to the court this is his first DUI.

Interesting ... still doesn't make it right, though. History repeats itself.

EvilForce

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:48 am

Quoting S5FA170 (Reply 37):
Interesting ... still doesn't make it right, though. History repeats itself.

It's the current law in Arizona (and in many others as well). He was treated no differently than anyone else. I suppose if you feel the punishment is too light you should consider writing your various state representatives to make DUI laws more draconian.

Let's face it. As it sits now, DUI arrests and convictions are a major cash cow to municipalities.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 32):
Those other DUI's were from over 20 years ago.

DWI's are cumulative. They aren't forgiven or stricken from the driving record over time, IIRC. Also, it doesn't matter if they were received in different states, either. That's the way it is in Wisconsin.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

jkudall

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:02 am

Quoting Cactus742 (Reply 26):
Not condoning what he did, but teachers, pilots, etc. have government regs to abide by. CEOs don't. It's strictly up to the board of directors. It's an entirely different standard.

I disagree. CEO's have plenty of governmental regulations to abide. Not only that, EVERYONE has to obey the law (last time I checked, DUI was against the law). Why should Doug Parker or any other CEO be held to a different standard? If anything, he should be held to a higher standard.

Electech6299

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 27):
More importantly, what series BMW does he drive? I'll reserve judgement until then.

rotfl 

In Wisconsin, you get 30 days to 6 months in jail, a $2000 fine, and lose ownership of your vehicle. And license revocation for 3 years.

Post the code and we'll talk. Many states don't even recognize convictions in other states, and some judges will ignore convictions in other counties if allowed by state law. If you're stupid enough (or drunk enough) to get caught in the same trap three times, you don't deserve a license. But three convictions spanning three decades is hardly worth talking about. If you are leveling the sights on Parker because "behavior repeats itself", how about we talk about that run-in with the police you had in high school during your next interview for a promotion? Let's keep the standard consistent, shall we?

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 38):
As it sits now, DUI arrests and convictions are a major cash cow to municipalities.

Tell that to the coroner, the labs, the police, fire and EMS who respond to DUI fatal accidents, and the officers that have to run checkpoints for endless holiday weekends to keep honest people honest and drunks off the road.

Or are you a bar owner complaining that their "cash cow" is getting in the way of yours?

Quoting Necigrad (Reply 22):

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 17):
And the A&P's.

No, they wouldn't. A DUI is not a disqualifying or terminable offense for the rank and file. The ONLY ways it would affect someone is if you missed work due to no shows, and in the case of certificated employees, if their certificate or medical was pulled. A ramper might get fired if his drivers license got revoked too, as he can't do his job with no license. You do not get fired at US for a DUI.

Even in the worst case scenario, any unionized employee can hold their job even after three DUIs. All you have to do is claim that you are an alcoholic, which is a recognized illness, and your union reps and attorneys will fight your "wrongful termination" suit for you. Don't even pretend that you are that vulnerable and Parker is somehow above the law. If anything, the rank and file unionized worker is less likely to get fired than the CEO, and has more legal recourse if they do. (Now the non-union employee is less likely to deserve to be fired...)  duck 
Send not to know for whom the bell tolls...it tolls for thee

EvilForce

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:14 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 39):
DWI's are cumulative. They aren't forgiven or stricken from the driving record over time, IIRC. Also, it doesn't matter if they were received in different states, either. That's the way it is in Wisconsin.

WI has a 5 year consideration for DUI as well. Mr. Parker would have been prosecuted in WI as if it was his 1st DUI just like he was in AZ.

The statute you are referring to about staying on your record permanently has a number of ifs/buts/whens attached to them, and was only effective after 1989 in WI. Mr. Parker's previous DUI's from 20 years ago would predate this statute.

boeingguy1

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:19 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 18):
What a sad..sad.. man.

Oh please. Im sure everyone has driven at some point with a pint or two in them. Dont act so holy.
"...Gatwick South!? Id rather crash in Brighton!"

SLCUT2777

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting Electech6299 (Reply 41):
Quoting EvilForce (Reply 38):
As it sits now, DUI arrests and convictions are a major cash cow to municipalities.

Tell that to the coroner, the labs, the police, fire and EMS who respond to DUI fatal accidents, and the officers that have to run checkpoints for endless holiday weekends to keep honest people honest and drunks off the road.

Tell that to the Kopegne family back in Pennsylvania that buried their 28 year old daughter after a famous Senator from Massachusetts had way too many Roman Cokes one hot night on Martha's Vineyard during the summer of 1969.

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 36):
Mr. Parker's last DUI was about 20 years ago.

1991 was actually 15-16 years ago. Lets not exaggerate time in relationship to statutes. I should also point out that the Provincial Ministry of Safety in British Columbia Canada recognized Hawaii's 2003 conviction of Premier Gordon Campbell while vacationing in Maui. He was denied his driving privileges for 6 months by B.C. for what took place in Hawaii. Also keep in mind most states are part of a non-resident violators compact. This means a citation issued in one state will show up on your record in your resident state. Still further it also means if you leave a citation unpaid and are further sanctioned for "failure to appear," your driving privileges in your resident state can also be impacted until this matter is cleared up.

Boston92

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:04 am

Isn't there in CA some kind of 3 strikes law where on the third strike, you go to jail for life?
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

EvilForce

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 46):
Isn't there in CA some kind of 3 strikes law where on the third strike, you go to jail for life?

3 strikes does not apply to DUI laws. The 3 strikes law refers to felonies.

Boston92

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:13 am

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 47):

2 more questions:

Is the law nationwide or just CA?

Wouldn't your third DUI (and maybe 1 or 2) be felonies?
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

SLCUT2777

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 47):

There is such a thing as felony DUI, such as when a fatality occurs (a.k.a. Ted Kennedy), or multiple repeat offenders, who continue to accumulate all sorts of alcohol related encounters with law enforcement. The only thing that kept Parker's hind quarters out of jail longer is that it has been nearly 16 years since his last conviction. He is a multiple DUI offender no matter how long or how many different states they've occurred in.

luketenley

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:37 am

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 34):
Sorry, but PA's laws regarding the BAC of Mr. Parker wouldn't merit him ANY jail time at all.

Pennsylvania Code Section - ? 3804. DAI Penalties

(a) General impairment.?An individual who violates section 3802(a) (relating to driving under influence of alcohol or controlled substance) shall be sentenced as follows:

(i) undergo a period of probation not to exceed six months;
(ii) pay a fine of $300;
(iii) attend an alcohol highway safety school approved by the department; and
(iv) comply with all drug and alcohol treatment requirements imposed under sections 3814 (relating to drug and alcohol assessments) and 3815 (relating to mandatory sentencing).

Tell that to my friend who will be sitting in jail soon. Was his first offense.
Pittsburgh International Airport lover

EvilForce

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:44 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 50):
Tell that to my friend who will be sitting in jail soon. Was his first offense.

He must have had an "extreme DUI" then.

Depending on how high his BAC was. If a child was in the car. An accident occured. etc.

My point was that given Mr. Parker's circumstances, he would have been tried under very similar guidelines between PA and AZ. Not every DUI case is the same.