Namaskar
Topic Author

Troubled AI 744 "Sunderbans" In FRA

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:23 am

Just saw this article in the online edition of the German magazine Spiegel about an ill-fated Air India B744. I apologise that I am too tired to translate the whole article, but here is a brief summary:

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/0,1518,467538,00.html

1. Aircraft supposed to take off from Frankfurt to Delhi after arrival from LAX with massive delay due to mechanical problems. After resolving mechanical problems and then the pushback for take-off, the crew realises that two transit pax from LAX flight are not on board. Aircraft forced to return to gate to remove luggage of missing pax. Aircraft departs with 21 hours delay..

2. One hour into flight, the crew finds that two German pax are not on board! Ground crew insists they are on board, but they are nowhere to be found on the flight. Over Hungary, captain announces return to Frankfurt. 80 tonnes of jetfuel are released before landing. Air-India claims that FRAPORT accepts responsibility for computer error.

Not entirely AI's fault, as the article references the smog problems in Delhi and the security lapse of Frankfurt Airport which compounded Air India's lack of spare aircraft. Further, apparently one of the crew members said that they always pray before flying with the "Sunderbans" that there will be no problems, as it is a "cursed" aircraft...

Gr8Circle

RE: Troubled AI 744 "Sunderbans" In FRA

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting Namaskar (Thread starter):
Just saw this article in the online edition of the German magazine Spiegel about an ill-fated Air India B744.

Hmmm...I would think twice before using a term like "ill-fated" ..... it usually brings to mind a totally different scenario not relevant in any way to the situation that this plane went thru'....

raffik

RE: Troubled AI 744 "Sunderbans" In FRA

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:32 am

A series of bad luck for the airline! I am sure this kinda thing happens to many airlines.
What destinations is AI using their leased 767s to?
- Alec