jimyvr

Iberia Deny Merger Talks With Lufthansa

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:20 am

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...02_L21588341&type=comktNews&rpc=44

Another rumour, reported by French newspaper, shot down by IBERIA.

'There is nothing with Lufthansa," an Iberia spokesman said. "There are no types of conversations with Lufthansa.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

Avianca

RE: Iberia Deny Merger Talks With Lufthansa

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:23 am

would be a great move by LH !

and well we heard often before" there is nothing with...." and then the final results were diferent.
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

jimyvr

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:02 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 1):
would be a great move by LH !

This will probably leave SAS and Spanair in weird situation, however.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

IADLHR

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:36 am

This is weird, if IB ever merged it was talked about, quite oftten, that it would probably be with BA. Maybe there is soemthing to the rumored BA/AA deal and IB is starting to cast a wider net. However, in the end I do not believe this rumor at all.

lexer

Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:54 pm

I must say, such a merger would seem to make sense; fleet commonality and complimentary route systems (relatively speaking).

Add to that that AF/KL have achieved cost savings beyond expectations and at face value you have a good business case.

WINGS

Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:05 pm

I would seriously look into the possibility of LH buying a stake in Tap Portugal, rather then focus on Iberia. Tap Portugal is expected to begin it's privatisation in late 2007 or early 2008. While Iberia has an excellent network into South America, Tap is very dominant in Brazil and various African Countries.

Regards,
Wings
Aviation Is A Passion.

SKY1

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:50 pm

From a few months there are rumors about this issue. Also in 2002 LH made an attempt to start talks with IB. The BA's response was increasing code-share agreements with IB.

IB, LH and UA had a negotiation in 1995 as well just before Star Alliance was founded ...but they (specially LH) broke off negotiations

It's true IB and LH --and BA too-- have complementary networks but is true IB is right now an oneworld member and it's logic IB continues being an OW member.

An hypothetical IB-LH merger could means a disorder at Madrid Int' Airport as I don't think BA, AA, LA and AY are agree to leave from T-4 to T1/T2 again.

Also ...what happend with both, SAS & Spanair? I'm sure SAS will do a veto in Star to this movement or they don't will allow IB join Star Alliance.

I believe the most intelligent thing is IB gets a good agreement with BA in order to do a great merger.

Quoting WINGS (Reply 5):
I would seriously look into the possibility of LH buying a stake in Tap Portugal, rather then focus on Iberia. Tap Portugal is expected to begin it's privatisation in late 2007 or early 2008.

IB could be interested in TP, ...but LH does prefer IB over TP if they need to choose.

OK, TP is the solely non-south american carrier which serves 3 or 4 destinations in N.E. Brazil, but that's all.
IB has a great value because its network in LatinAmerica including GIG and GRU, TP has a great network inside Brazil but in LatinAmerica TP flies only Brazil and Venezuela.
Time flies! Enjoy life!

WINGS

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting SKY1 (Reply 6):

IB could be interested in TP, ...but LH does prefer IB over TP if they need to choose.

Well Tap Portugal would be an easir and less expensive acquasition.

Quoting SKY1 (Reply 6):
OK, TP is the solely non-south american carrier which serves 3 or 4 destinations in N.E. Brazil, but that's all.
IB has a great value because its network in LatinAmerica including GIG and GRU, TP has a great network inside Brazil but in LatinAmerica TP flies only Brazil and Venezuela.

Many members seem to forget the strenght that Tap Portugal has outside of South America. The African Continent also represents great potential. Currently Tap has links to the following African countries. It is also for that reason that I suspect that LH will be a likely candidate to acquire a stake in Tap Portugal.

ANGOLA
CAPE VERDE
GUINEA-BISSAU
MOZAMBIQUE
SAO TOME E PRINCIPE
SENEGAL
SOUTH AFRICA

Regards,
Wings
Aviation Is A Passion.

SKY1

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:43 pm

Wings,

TP specially serves the former Portuguese colinies and the Portuguese speaking-countries. That's plain and logic.

IB also is expecting about the TP privatisation as both netwoks fits muito bem

arrow  Anyway, I'm afraid this "talk" with LH is only to put pressure in BA. Im my own opinion I do prefer anytime a merger with BA and see IB for years inside oneworld.
Time flies! Enjoy life!

LifelinerOne

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:49 pm

KLM said they weren't talking with Air France too in the beginning... Look what happened there. It could be that the talks are in a very early stage and that it can go both ways. If it isn't going okay, they can walk away without an explanation. When things go right, they can bring out the good news.

However, I do recall Lufthansa saying that they won't be doing mergers or takeovers for the foreseeable future, but I can't find a link on the moment.

Cheers!  wave 
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos