commavia

AA Launches NYC Growth Initiative

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:33 pm

Sounds like a last-ditch response to Delta's growth to me.

Some news:

. AA boosting marketing/advertising budget in New York metro area
. Eagle to launch service from September 5 from LaGuardia to Louisville
. AA to boost JFK-San Francisco to 6x daily service
. AA to boost frequency from JFK to Port-au-Prince and Caracas
. Also September 5, AA will launch a daily JFK-Vegas flight (about time for NY AAdvantage members)

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070222/dath027.html?.v=88

AirlineFanatic

RE: AA Launches NYC Growth Initiative

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:48 pm

Sounds a bit like catch-up and PR spin to me. I opened the link earlier thinking there was some major announcements but alas, nothing much than what other major airlines in the area already serve or will serve shortly.

BigGSFO

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:51 pm

Well good for AA for doing something. A 6th SFO-JFK seems more like a shot across the bow at Virgin America. I wonder were they will dig up the 767 for that flight. Does anybody know the times?

STT757

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:54 pm

Quoting Commavia (Thread starter):
Sounds like a last-ditch response to Delta's growth to me.

Sounds more like AA taking advantage of B6's recent bad press to try and win back some former customers, DL is not #1 at JFK it's B6. AA is most likely being opportunistic.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

tsnamm

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:42 pm

now that their shiny new terminal is almost complete, maybe they would like to put some of their planes in it, instead of every alliance partners.

n471wn

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:48 pm

Will they be pulling any stored MD-80's out of Roswell to cover these new flights?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:24 am

Yeah, at first when I saw the news release I expected some major new announcment.

This is more or less a summary of past announcements and rolling out a new initiative that packages up a bunch of other improvements.

No large-scale increase in service, and almost all of the new routes/frequencies we knew about on here.

AA just trying to generate some PR, and pick up on some of the media hype surrounding the NYC situation.

When you look at everything together, it sounds fairly impressive, much better than all the single news releases that come out at a trickle.

WA707atMSP

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting Commavia (Thread starter):
Eagle to launch service from September 5 from LaGuardia to Louisville

It's nice to see AA resuming another route out of LGA. AA flew LGA-SDF until 1981; SDF, CVG, CLE, DCA, and BOS were all dropped when AA reduced flights at LGA in 1980-82 to free up aircraft for their DFW hub, and now all have come back!
Seaholm Maples are #1!

cayman

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:29 am

I wonder what the planned "boost" in service to CCS is?

This will cannibalize a bit of the MIA CCS traffic.

LipeGIG

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:36 am

They are facing strong competition on their flag ship service to LHR. EOS, MaxJet and others Full Business providers are fighting for a profitable market, and increasing competition from DL and foreign airlines (during sometime AA flies to GRU almost alone from JFK, only against JAL, now for example they compete against 2x daily JJ and 1x daily DL services) for sure are driven Y, C and F prices down (or at least loads).

Increasing advertisement, including banners on 2nd Ave and more pages on WSJ is an attempt to recover part of the lost space.

Why not looking for other markets like Rio de Janeiro ?

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

panamair

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:41 am

Interesting comparison stats from the following article:

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/news...nalysis/businessnews/10340178.html

JFK Departures:

B6 has 173 daily flights to 46 destinations
DL has 179 daily flights to 75 destinations (34 international)
AA has 89 daily flights to 36 destinations (25 international)

LGA:

AA has 129 daily flights to 30 destinations
DL has 122 daily flights to 33 destinations

EWR:

CO has 442 daily flights to 158 destinations (77 international)

jfk69

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:42 am

About time AA started up Vegas. It always bothered me to have to connect to get my award seat.

DAL767400ER

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting Panamair (Reply 10):
JFK Departures:

Wow, didn't know AA actually had such a low number of flights, no wonder they scaled down their new terminal. Also, didn't know that DL has actually passed B6 as far as daily flights go, though admittedly many of them on RJs and props.

jacobin777

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am

JFK Departures:

DL has more flights and destinations, but less pax than AA..

LGA:

AA has 129 daily flights to 30 destinations
DL has 122 daily flights to 33 destinations

AA carried more pax than DL here also...
"Up the Irons!"

prosa

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 3):
Sounds more like AA taking advantage of B6's recent bad press to try and win back some former customers

Dunno, I would imagine that AA made these decisions well before B6's recent problems.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

MAH4546

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 14):

Dunno, I would imagine that AA made these decisions well before B6's recent problems.

The additional flights, yes. They have been decided on for a while. And the additional frequencies to Haiti and Caracas are seasonal and happen every year. However, the PR was probably created in the past few days by AA's PR people to take advantage of the jetBlue situation.
a.

DAYflyer

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:32 am

It was a major mistake of DL to drop a lot of JFK service a while back. I think if you plan to be a major player in the airline world, you need strong service to the top 20 markets or you lose..
One Nation Under God

PRAirbus

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:54 am

AA announced to its employees a few weeks ago there was something in the works to improve their NYC presence. That came out way before the B6 mess...they are no related. On a disappointing note...AA's announcement sounds like just a lot of noise since nothing unusual or exciting was announced. Wonder why having some of the best and more modern facilities in JFK their international network out of NYC is so limited (number of destinations). They have a nice widebody fleet but perhaps it is lack of spare jets. I guess the 757 Long-Range operations out of JFK was just a rumor...I think that was abandoned...too bad!  Sad

STT757

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 14):

Sounds like spin to take advantage of a competitors stumble, even if it's nothing new the way they are spinning it is meant to draw attention to their NYC presence.

RDUDDJI

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:15 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 15):
The additional flights, yes. They have been decided on for a while. And the additional frequencies to Haiti and Caracas are seasonal and happen every year. However, the PR was probably created in the past few days by AA's PR people to take advantage of the jetBlue situation.

"effective April 10, American Eagle will add new service from LaGuardia Airport to Cincinnati. American Airlines will add one mainline jet flight to complement existing American Eagle service from LaGuardia to Raleigh/Durham"

That's also at least the third time I've seen this same RDU "announcement" in an AA press release too...
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

PITrules

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting Tsnamm (Reply 4):
now that their shiny new terminal is almost complete, maybe they would like to put some of their planes in it, instead of every alliance partners.

On the contrary, other than Finnair, it seems like the alliance partners are still at terminal 7. Why don't Qantas, BA, Iberia, and Cathay move over into American's new terminal? Looks like they have enough room.
FLYi

Lono

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:53 am

Interesting that most on this post do not think much of AA and their plan to compete.... I think that AA has the ability to make this very interesting to DL/B6.... since they are going to have a new facility in JFK..... and are adding flights to ATL/RDU with AA mainline...and additional international flying....plus the "expect more announcements this summer".... line I find very interesting..... I bet DL's management team are not too happy and are not disregarding this latest news... to say nothing about DL's creditors....DL/AA have a long competitive history and this should be interesting
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

kaitak744

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:59 am

Well, with this pathetic, half-complete terminal, AA will get no where.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/Kaitak744/IMG_0597.jpg

After T9 is finished, they should have the clear advantage over DL. AA's in flight service is generally better, and their terminal services will now be up to world class levels. As for B6, maybe B6 is able to capture the domestic O&D market at JFK. But the Europe, Asia, and Latin America networks of both AA and DL bring enough connecting traffic to keep their domestic operations strong. Thats something B6 can't compete with.

AA787

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:01 am

I thought after T8 is torn down, there will be a phase 3 of the terminal that will add to the B concourse where T8 currently is.

Has that been scrapped?

AA787
ET In NYC

STT757

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:09 am

Eagle11

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:48 am

Now is the perfect time for AA to try to expand at JFK. They're able to take advantage of B6's struggles and bad press and build some momentum as they move into the new terminal.

As far as I'm concerned, it's now or never for AA in JFK when it comes to expanding service.
"The Eagle has landed"

commavia

Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 20):
Why don't Qantas, BA, Iberia, and Cathay move over into American's new terminal? Looks like they have enough room.

From what I hear, AA is about the worst ground handling vendor, at least at JFK. Apparently, management has cut back so much on staffing, that AA is not able to provide the staffing levels for partner airlines' flights while on the ground, and thus other airlines' flights end up having to take delays because AA staff can't clean/fuel/load/balance the outbound aircraft in time for D-0. Maybe that will change, as I think it would dramatically improve the passenger experience at JFK, and heighten the oneworld presence in the world's most important city, if all the oneworld airlines (sans BA which, I agree, will never ever leave T7) consolidated into the new T8.

Quoting Eagle11 (Reply 25):
Now is the perfect time for AA to try to expand at JFK.

Agreed. If AA is to make a meaningful push to retain their leading presence in the JFK/Tri-State market, now is the time. Even with the ridiculous fleet capacity shortage problem AA has, they are going to have to eventually either make a stand at JFK and in New York or concede a good deal of the market to others (namely Continental, Delta and JetBlue). Continental has a good thing going over at Newark, and AA/Delta/JetBlue won't ever be able to get in on that action, but Delta and JetBlue just keep growing like crazy at JFK and AA has been stagnant for years. They will always have a leading/dominant presence in some JFK markets, like the transcons, Heathrow, and Caribbean, but there is, at least in my view, a great deal of vertile ground for AA in the New York market that hasn't been explored yet. I think their strategy of using Eagle to penetrate into smaller, underserved, and/or overpriced markets in the Midwest like Madison, Des Moines, Grand Rapids, etc., is very smart, as is offering AAdvantage customers the opportunity to fly to major markets in the Mid-Atlantic and along the east coast, even if they are competitors' major hubs -- I'm of course talking about cities like Charlotte, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Atlanta. Atlanta has been such a runaway success (that just about everyone predicted would fail) that its now going all-mainline MD80s. Raleigh is getting mainline back too. Down the road, I could see Raleigh getting another 1-2 MD80 flights, plus maybe Eagle adding from LaGuardia: 1-3x daily flights to cities like Ottawa, Indianapolis, Richmond, Norfolk, Greenville/Spartanburg, and Savannah, all of course depending on slot issues at LGA. As for JFK, I think the LAS flight is long overdue as, if nothing else, a good mile-burning opportunity for the ridiculously large AAdvantage FF community in the Tri-State area, and depending on timing, they be able to get some higher-yielding inbound international connections on it too.

These are all positive signs for AA in New York, but I think they need to continue to focus on playing to their strengths -- utilizing their (albeit very limited) Eagle RJ capacity to develop nonstop markets from LaGuardia that other airlines have ignored or underserved, and utilizing the new terminal platform and JFK and their almost unparalleled frequent flyer penetration in the greater New York area to drive more people onto their longer flights, and at higher fares.

ABQ747

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:11 am

Maybe AA should fly JFK-ABQ, since B6 seems unwilling to do so. I think TW used to fly that route a long time ago. Right now we only have EWR service on CO.
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

EnviroTO

Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:27 am

When terminal 8 is closed they should really try and create more of a hub at JFK. Right now most connections through NYC would require landing at one airport and transferring to the other. Eagle has filled the void a little bit but it would be nice if that new terminal could be the start of something much greater than what exists now.

N62NA

Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:33 am

Headline of the press release:

"New Flights, Enhanced Services Give New York-Area Travelers More Choices and Greater Convenience"

Well, not a single new flight out of EWR, thus they are neglecting half of the "New York-Area Travelers!"

galapagapop

Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 26):
From what I hear, AA is about the worst ground handling vendor, at least at JFK.

How on Earth did they win that, with B6, DL, and UA still serving JFK  Wink ? JFK has to have THE slowest baggage handlers domestically except maybe PHL (although going to just PHL and not connecting I've had no real problems)

codc10

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:25 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 29):

Well, not a single new flight out of EWR, thus they are neglecting half of the "New York-Area Travelers!"

EWR is a market that Continental has completely sewn up over the past 5-7 years while other carriers like AA, UA, and US have pulled down once-significant operations. In the 90s, I used to fly to LAX several times a month, and I flew AA/UA equally as much, if not more than, CO. Both carriers had better schedules than CO, and 767 service on a pretty regular basis.

Even though JFK is busier than EWR, nobody's piece of the pie is as big there as Continental at EWR. There is room to expand, excellent facilities (AA), and a stronger position at JFK vs. EWR. LGA, where AA is probably strongest in New York, has little room to grow, and their operation at JFK is underdeveloped. This is an excellent opportunity for them to fortify their operation there, and use their advantages to leapfrog Delta as JFK's primary full-service hub carrier.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:39 am

American has done this before. They always add flights quickly, make it look like they are attempting a major commitment, and then pull back.

American has a very large chunk of the NYC market and O&D traffic. It has the Heathrow, Narita, and Sao Paolo routes, as well as an enviable market share in the transcon market, but JFK is not a hub for AA and it never will be. The same can be said for Delta, which touts JFK as a hub, but it really isn't either.

AA's Vegas routes, and the added frequencies to CVG and RDU will most likely be pulled back.

HPAEAA

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:44 am

Quoting ContinentalEWR (Reply 32):
AA's Vegas routes, and the added frequencies to CVG

CVG might be a restarted market.... but it's not added freq....
Why do I fly???

BigGSFO

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:49 am

Quoting ContinentalEWR (Reply 32):
The same can be said for Delta, which touts JFK as a hub, but it really isn't either.

Maybe I am misreading your comment, but did you say that JFK "isn't really a hub" for DL? If so, you are mistaken. JFK is indeed a hub for DL for the sole reason that DL claims it as such. Since there is no industry standard or market criteria, the airlines themselves deem what is and what is not a hub. If DL says JFK is a hub, it's a hub.

SANFan

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:49 am

Perhaps SAN will be upgraded even a bit more during this JFK growth.

SAN has been continuously connected with Kennedy by AA since the late 1960s (with one or more n/s); since B6 started service, AA has flown as many as 3 n/s a day and now DL is also in the market. The recent u/g to a Saturday-only 767 on one of the flights is kind of strange but maybe a sign of things to come...

This has always been a major SAN route, (the first trans-con, I'm very sure) and for most of the time, the sole "property" of American. I assume they will continue to protect their turf and I hope to see them maybe u/g equipment or keep the frequency as high as they possibly can.

bb

commavia

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 35):
The recent u/g to a Saturday-only 767 on one of the flights is kind of strange but maybe a sign of things to come...

In terms of capacity, the Saturday 767-200 schedule is actually a downgrade. AA's 767-200s seat 165 in a 3-class configuration (sold as a two-class F9Y156 configuration in the JFK-SAN market) while AA's 757s seat 188 (F22Y166).

AA 777

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:32 pm

I had heard about this coming in the past week. Don't forget that the PR said that they will also announce additional new service in the coming months. Personally I've heard LGA-DEN being tossed around. If that happens or not I dont know....

Also like Commavia said, I've heard about adding more mainline on LGA-RDU. I also tend to belive that AA will be reducing Eagle operations at LGA and either adding more mainline flights to existing or new cities....
CRJ-700 FO

tommy767

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:14 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 29):

Yeah I'll bet AA will ignore EWR on this one and just make it seem like they're actually trying. Hopefully at some point soon they will bring back EWR-LAX on 763s.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

mikesairways

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:15 pm

Any chance SJC will come back on the map?
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

SANFan

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:05 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 36):
In terms of capacity, the Saturday 767-200 schedule is actually a downgrade.

Technically, yes, the '67 is ~20 fewer seats but I still tend to think of it as more desirable (2 aisles, 2-3-2 seating, etc.) -- I would certainly rather fly (and watch) a wide-body than a skinny, long 757.

Thanks for the input Commavia.

bb

NikonDFW

Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:26 pm

AA will also add new nonstop EWR -SAN and EWR-SEA flights..

flyboy7974

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:55 pm

slowly and slowly I am loving every little bit that every single airline takes out of AA. AA responding only to JetBlue's entry into the ORD market now, especially with the LAS route announcement from JFK. Only the stupid will believe AA's comment about the high end revenue generated from the European sector and how it will feed the JFK new nonstop LAS flight. If that's what they were really wanting they already have it with the ORD hub, it's a line and coverup to politely say, take this JetBlue. AA already losing huge revenues out of DFW due to the opening of DAL and SWA being allowed to sell DAL to all markets, AA now getting hit out of ORD with JetBlue flying to JFK and LGB, the NY and LA metro areas which are two of the hugest revenue markets for AA out of ORD, not any longer. And about time, and the hits just keep on coming, and I hope they do for all that AA has had with their history of with buyouts here, closures and layoffs there, I really hope AA starts to take hard hits just as all other airlines have dealt with, its their turn now and thAAnk God!!!

BigGSFO

Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting NikonDFW (Reply 41):

Is this rumor, fact or wishful thinking?

I don't see EWR expanding beyond what AA already offers (DFW, ORD, MIA, LAX, SJU, etc).

Quoting Mikesairways (Reply 39):
Any chance SJC will come back on the map?

I would love to see this. The tech sector is recovering (not booming) and AA is cautiously increasing back some P2P flying between tech/business centers: AUS-SEA, upgrading SJC-AUS, mainline LGA-RDU, etc. The return of SJC-JFK wouldn't surprise me; EWR-SAN, EWR-SEA would.

panam330

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:01 am

Good to see/hear. I can't wait to see what new additions AA has in store for the New York market. Any chance of seeing JFK-MCO again? Probably not, but one can hope!  Sad I'd rather connect in JFK than MIA or ORD.

On the subject of their new terminal complex at JFK, is there going to be any new construction on it after this phase is opened up? If so, what exactly are they going to be doing? I'm very interested in this project, and hope to fly out of the new terminal very soon.

A330323X

Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting AA 777 (Reply 37):
Also like Commavia said, I've heard about adding more mainline on LGA-RDU. I also tend to belive that AA will be reducing Eagle operations at LGA and either adding more mainline flights to existing or new cities....

They're going to have to be upgrading equipment sizes out of LGA due to the new rules on aircraft size that are about to be put into place. Those rules will hit AA the hardest due to its using small regional jets in large markets. US will suffer less due to the exemptions to be put into place for small market service, which is what most of US's Express operation at LGA serves. DL will fall in between the two. It's important to consider, as I do believe it's a factor in AA's recent upgrading of LGA routes from Eagle to mainline, along with starting smaller markets.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

N62NA

Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:55 am

laughing  Yeah, right! I think we would see AA go EWR-LHR before we would ever see SAN or SEA from EWR on AA.

SANFan

Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:58 am

Yeah right!  duck 

(Will that be right before or right after they add the MIA-SAN and MIA-SEA flights?  Confused )

bb

elmothehobo

Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:07 am

JFK Departures:

Those number don't include American Eagle for the AA stats, but include Delta Connection for DL's total. Those numbers need to be revised.

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 27):
I think TW used to fly that route a long time ago. Right now we only have EWR service on CO.

Flying routes like that is one of the reasons why TWA isn't with us.

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 33):
CVG might be a restarted market.... but it's not added freq....

Absolutely, everytime you add a flight a LaGuardia, another flight has to be cut.

Alaska already flies EWR-SEA, we'd see American launch MIA-SEA, MIA-SAN before EWR-SAN or EWR-SEA, though I'd be ready to eat my words if you're right.

panamair

Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 48):
Those number don't include American Eagle for the AA stats, but include Delta Connection for DL's total. Those numbers need to be revised.

Actually, when the article took the numbers, they did include AA mainline and Eagle. I just went through the current AA PDF online timetable and counted up the flights; the current total comes to around 62 mainline flights and 31 Eagle for a total of 93 dailies. Adding the 6th SFO, the 2nd seasonal SEA, the new LAS, as well as the increased CCS and PAP frequencies brings us to 66 mainline and 31 Eagle; total of 97 daily flights.