bilalaman

Aircraft Tail Branding Emblem Costs?

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:10 am

I am surprised Aircraft tail design costs so much.

Pakistan Daily Times Reports:

"Kirmani said only one PIA A310 aircraft tail was designed from Paris with stickers using 3-M technology costing 29,500 dollars whereas all tails of all PIA aircraft are now being painted in-house and the cost incurred is to the tune of 300,000 to 500,000 each which is cost effective."
Check 6

corey07850

RE: Aircraft Tail Branding Emblem Costs?

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:16 am

Perhaps they're talking in terms of Pakistani Rupees and not USD? 29,5000 Rupees is something like 500 USD

bilalaman

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:35 am

They paid USD 29K and now doing it in-house with a cost of 500,000 Rupees. 60 Rupees to a dollar.
So around USD 8,500 to do it in-house or USD to use 3-M

I am pretty sure other Airlines pay 29K tag all the time.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...7%5C02%5C07%5Cstory_7-2-2007_pg5_6
Check 6

jetjeanes

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:30 am

And Nw painted their own tails spray paint red
i can see for 80 miles

JBo

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:03 am

There's a certain level in which it becomes cost-prohibitive to use vinyl decals versus conventional paint. For small-area jobs, vinyl can be cheaper and more cost-effective than paint .... and for large areas, such as tails, it can be more expensive to do it in vinyl vs. paint.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

ferrypilot

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:08 pm

Was this an expensive management mistake? ...Northwest insignia is going Northeast on starboard side of aircraft with new paint schemes.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ronald van Doorn

JBo

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting Ferrypilot (Reply 5):
Was this an expensive management mistake? ...Northwest insignia is going Northeast on starboard side of aircraft with new paint schemes.

For the 9862443169th time, no it is not. It is a redefinition of the symbolism of the compass. Instead of the compass pointing Northwest, they like to think of it now as always pointing forward ... which it does, it's pointing toward the front of the plane. Another way to think of it is to say "No matter which way you go, you're always going Northwest."

Yet another way to think of the tail design as a solid design going all the way through the tail ... and if you were to cut layers off of it, it would be solid red and silver all the way through to the other side.

Either way, it's all a part of a symbolic move away from the "Northwest" directional idea.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

B747-437B

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting Bilalaman (Reply 2):
I am pretty sure other Airlines pay 29K tag all the time.

The tail is especially expensive as the callibration of rudder balance has a very small margin of tolerance. Stickers are not preferred for the rudder area as peeling of the stickers could potentially cause major rudder imbalances.

Most contract paintshops cost in the range of $40k-75k for something in the A310/B767 range, depending on the timelines and complexity of the job.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

ferrypilot

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 6):
For the 9862443169th time, no it is not. It is a redefinition of the symbolism of the compass. Instead of the compass pointing Northwest, they like to think of it now as always pointing forward

It looks intrinsically wrong to someone who spends his life navigating and bearing in mind that Northwest Airlines symbology has previously identified itself as synonymous with that point of the compass. And so unfortunately it looks like they have inadvertently detracted from the power of what was a great and very recognisable brand name in order to save money on paint.
I should also like to say that I have always liked Northwest Airlines. ...Not the least because I once got a free upgrade to business class with them on a sector from U.S.A. to Europe.

BrianDromey

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting Ferrypilot (Reply 8):
And so unfortunately it looks like they have inadvertently detracted from the power of what was a great and very recognisable brand name in order to save money on paint.

I dont mean to be smart, but how exactly do you propose that NW would "properly" paint the compass as going "NW" on its tails, without messing up the whole logo?. If you look at country flags and so forth you will see that they are painted the "wrong" way as well. Plus how many people can actually tell East from West these days???

NW is somewhat unfortunate in that its logo is asymmetrical. If you look at an EI tail, the samrock also looks "wrong" on the starboard side.

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

ferrypilot

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:38 am

Well it looked great and represented a far more recognisable identity before they changed it, as on the 747 below.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner - WorldAirImages

AsstChiefMark

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:54 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 6):
It is a redefinition of the symbolism of the compass. Instead of the compass pointing Northwest, they like to think of it now as always pointing forward ... which it does, it's pointing toward the front of the plane. Another way to think of it is to say "No matter which way you go, you're always going Northwest."

They must have set a new record for drug use at the meeting where they came up with that line of crap.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail