N723GW
Topic Author

Radio Scanner On An Airliner

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:30 am

Just wondering if it is ok or not to bring a scanner on board to listen to while in flight. I can't imagaine it being a big deal, specifially for AS, any one know?
The dude abides

IslesFan

RE: Radio Scanner On An Airliner

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:47 am

Every airline I've been on lately forbids it, along with FM radios. (Southwest/ATA/Delta/AA/Contential). I wonder if it's more of a liability issue than a interference issue.

Speaking of other devices that recieve signals, I know GPS devices are allowed on Southwest, which I found odd. I don't think they are allowed on AA/Delta.

--IslesFan

lincoln

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:54 am

Quoting IslesFan (Reply 1):
Speaking of other devices that recieve signals, I know GPS devices are allowed on Southwest, which I found odd. I don't think they are allowed on AA/Delta.

Likewise, every airline I can remember recently has forbidden radios/portable televisions, but Continental explicitly states that one-way pagers may be used to receive pages at any time... I really don't get the difference between a 1-way pager or GPS unit and a portable radio, but hey....

To the original poster: If nothing else, you could put it in your carryon and ask politely when you boarded if it would be OK... This would also probably go a long way twoards avoiding having a FA flip out on you and accuse you of being a terrorist or whatever.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

CaptSkibi

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:12 am

Many devices that are supposed to be passive (i.e. receive only) are noisy devices in terms of EMI. Cheap radios/receivers probably fall into that category. GPS receivers probably don't as long as they're on, but in receive mode, they use a LNA to amplify the weak GPS signals. Because of the antenna radiation patterns, many high-end GPS devices require them to be at least 1 m away from another GPS receiver's antenna. This may be a reason for the airlines keeping the GPS units off (with the overall reason being security).

It's practically easier to just have a blanket rule that bans all devices with an antenna than trying to explain to a passenger that this particular device is forbidden.
Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land / former frequent flyer with 9 straight years being elite on NW/DL

katwspotter

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:15 am

I brought one on a YX flight once and A) It really doesnt work to well, and B) the flight attendent saw me with it and freaked out and made me go to talk to the pilots about it after we had landed. They said it doesnt hurt anything, but they are still not an approved item.
A/C I have worked in ATW - SF340 E145 CRJ2/7/9 DC93/4/5 A319/20 MD83 B738 B752/3 B763/4 A333

philb

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:17 am

Totally illegal under IATA, ICAO regulations and the laws of almost every jurisdiction

EMBQA

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting IslesFan (Reply 1):
Every airline I've been on lately forbids it, along with FM radios

Those regulations have been in effect for as long as I can remember.... 20+ years.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

AsstChiefMark

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:50 am

Bringing a scanner onboard a commercial aircraft is as acceptable as bringing your pet rat to McDonalds to have lunch with you. You might not see anything wrong with it, but it sure freaks out the staff and other patrons.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Electech6299

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:58 am

If you're that addicted, why not just fly UA?
Send not to know for whom the bell tolls...it tolls for thee

KELPkid

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:59 am

In 1999, I flew the Cessna up to ABQ to pick up a friend. Well, I tried to get through security in the passenger terminal with my flight bag (you could still go to the gate without a ticket in those days  Wink ), and I couldn't  Sad they didn't like the idea of letting my handheld transceiver pass through security, even in a pre-9/11 world...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

IslesFan

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:04 am

I have an Amateur Radio License. If I ever get questioned, I just take it out and show it, that usually ends the problem.

--IslesFan

MaidensGator

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:15 am

I've used my GPS on flights a few times. This link gives a list of airlines that approve/disapprove:

http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

Once while waiting to board a USAirways flight, the pilot was hanging around the boarding area so I asked him if it would be ok; he said sure if I waited until they announce electronics can be used.

You do have to hold it up near the window to get a signal, and it takes a while to lock in, but it's cool to see where you are, speed and altitude, as well as the ETA.
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

KELPkid

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:19 am

Quoting Electech6299 (Reply 8):

1) You're at the mercy of El Capitan (meaning, if you draw a captain who doesn't like it, channel 9 goes silent  Wink )
2) How can you tune ATIS (or any other desired frequency en-route) that is different than the frequency which is patched through on Channel 9?

Of course, having a chart out while en-route would draw just as much suspicion as having a radio receiver or transceiver out...

I do agree with previous posts, many cheaply made scanners/receivers do put out out-of-band "birdies", which is why there is a blanket ban on most radio receiver equipment.

Baron52ta

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:21 am

Personal GPS must remain off on airliners because the way they work which is similar in principal to radar or sonar with signal bounce back, that is how you maintain an up to the minute location and that signal can give a ghost on the A/C GPS. As for the Transceiver it is not allowed as it can be used to talk to the flight deck and interfere with radio Com's. intentionally or not.
The radio is not to do with interference it is to do with other passenger comfort as alot of people don't seem to know when the volume is up high enough as to be heard by all around them and the ICE is set up so the volume can't reach the annoyance level

KELPkid

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:21 am

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 11):
You do have to hold it up near the window to get a signal, and it takes a while to lock in, but it's cool to see where you are, speed and altitude, as well as the ETA.

I wonder if suction-cupping a behind the glass vehicle antenna to the window would be pushing it  Wink Of course, near vertical is a less than ideal location for one of these anyways...

EMBQA

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:43 am

Quoting IslesFan (Reply 10):
I have an Amateur Radio License

So what...? Your still in direct violation of the Federal Regulation.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

IslesFan

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 9):
In 1999, I flew the Cessna up to ABQ to pick up a friend. Well, I tried to get through security in the passenger terminal with my flight bag (you could still go to the gate without a ticket in those days Wink ), and I couldn't Sad they didn't like the idea of letting my handheld transceiver pass through security, even in a pre-9/11 world...

I was responding to his post. I'd never use a scanner if the airline prohibits it or a Flight Attendant says no.

MaidensGator

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:58 am

Quoting Baron52ta (Reply 13):
Personal GPS must remain off on airliners because the way they work which is similar in principal to radar or sonar with signal bounce back,

Actually they are passive radio receivers. They work by calculating the times it takes to receive signals from the satellites. A handheld GPS emits minimal RF....

http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/gpsrfi.htm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 14):
I wonder if suction-cupping a behind the glass vehicle antenna to the window would be pushing it Wink Of course, near vertical is a less than ideal location for one of these anyways...

I've found that after I get a position fix, you can move it away from the window a bit, not too far, and it still works....

Question for the pilots or other experts... When I've used it on the plane at cruising altitude, the altitude on the GPS would show 35,010 or 32,010, or similar. Does the altimeter on the plane show the altitude of the bottom of the plane? It looked to me like we were cruising at 35,000 and I was 10 feet high up in the plane.

OPNLguy

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:58 am

In 1999, I flew the Cessna up to ABQ to pick up a friend. Well, I tried to get through security in the passenger terminal with my flight bag (you could still go to the gate without a ticket in those days Wink ), and I couldn't Sad they didn't like the idea of letting my handheld transceiver pass through security, even in a pre-9/11 world...

I've had a similar problem a couple of times (one pre-9/11, and one post-9/11), and both times the screener told me that I couldn't take it aboard (even with airline ID, ADX certificate, and SIDA badge) because I didn't have a license to use the radio. (I don't know how they "knew" this, since they never asked). Any how, I pulled out my itty-bitty FCC-issued license dated 1978 that said RESTRICTED RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT, and was able to merrily go on my way. I haven't had a problem since....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

IslesFan

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:04 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 18):

I've had a similar problem a couple of times (one pre-9/11, and one post-9/11), and both times the screener told me that I couldn't take it aboard (even with airline ID, ADX certificate, and SIDA badge) because I didn't have a license to use the radio. (I don't know how they "knew" this, since they never asked). Any how, I pulled out my itty-bitty FCC-issued license dated 1978 that said RESTRICTED RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT, and was able to merrily go on my way. I haven't had a problem since....

Was this an airband transceiver or a regular scanner?

OPNLguy

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:07 pm

Quoting IslesFan (Reply 19):

Was this an airband transceiver or a regular scanner?

Handheld transceiver.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

EMBQA

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:14 pm

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 17):
Does the altimeter on the plane show the altitude of the bottom of the plane? It looked to me like we were cruising at 35,000 and I was 10 feet high up in the plane.

No.... there are just veriables in those numbers the higher up you go. At 1000ft an altimeter my be only 1ft off....at 10,000ft it may be 10ft off.....and so forth. That is why with the advent of RVSM it is so critical that the planes stay within tolerance.

MaidensGator

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:26 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 21):
Does the altimeter on the plane show the altitude of the bottom of the plane? It looked to me like we were cruising at 35,000 and I was 10 feet high up in the plane.

No.... there are just veriables in those numbers the higher up you go. At 1000ft an altimeter my be only 1ft off....at 10,000ft it may be 10ft off.....and so forth. That is why with the advent of RVSM it is so critical that the planes stay within tolerance.

Thanks... one of those minor curiosities explained...

KELPkid

Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:11 pm

I got my PPL long after the FCC radio operator permit requirement for pilots...I think an FCC station license was still required for the aircraft (when ARROW still had two R's  Wink ). The ABQ guys (IIRC, "Huntleigh Security") didn't say anything about licensure, but I could have whipped out my FCC Technician Class Amateur radio license  Wink [which still doesn't license one for air band, but nonetheless...] Heck, as far as I know, the only license needed to use air band anymore is for a base station permit. However, the FAA could sick the FCC on you if you start transmitting without any apparent aircraft-related purpose...

Electech6299

Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:16 pm

Any how, I pulled out my itty-bitty FCC-issued license dated 1978 that said RESTRICTED RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT, and was able to merrily go on my way. I haven't had a problem since....

Hmmm....so the 'ol ROP card has some use after all, huh? Maybe I'm going to have to pull that out of my memorabilia box and put it back in my wallet  Wink

Not that I have a transceiver any more anyway...

apodino

Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:23 pm

The radio is not to do with interference it is to do with other passenger comfort as alot of people don't seem to know when the volume is up high enough as to be heard by all around them and the ICE is set up so the volume can't reach the annoyance level

Thats why you have earphones that you plug into the unit so no one can hear them.

I remember a few years ago, pre 9-11 I had a radio on board with me. I did turn it on in flight, and hid it, and used a speaker hidden in my pillow so that no one would notice. One problem was, I could only hear the pilots talking, I couldn't pick up any of the ATC people.

Anyways, the regs also say that no one can operate portable electronic devices below 10,000 feet. If you go to youtube, you will find lots of videos from passenger seats of takeoffs and landings, which would supposedly violate that rule as well.

graphic

Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 21):

Actually it's because at FL180 and above, aircraft altimiters are no longer set to show true altitude, they are set to show pressure altitude. 35,000 feet on the altimiter is very rarely going to be exactly 35,000 MSL. With GPS, it will show you through triangulation, true altitude.
Demand Media fails at life

Nimish

Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:04 pm

Quoting Katwspotter (Reply 4):
I brought one on a YX flight once and A) It really doesnt work to well

Quoting Apodino (Reply 25):
One problem was, I could only hear the pilots talking, I couldn't pick up any of the ATC people.

I can echo that, I used a receiver on a domestic flight in India, and within a few minutes after take off I lost ATC completely, and could hear only the pilot. In hindsight, it was kind of a waste lugging it on board, but it was well worth it when on the ground waiting for boarding!
Incredible India!

chuchoteur

Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:55 pm

Question for the pilots or other experts... When I've used it on the plane at cruising altitude, the altitude on the GPS would show 35,010 or 32,010, or similar. Does the altimeter on the plane show the altitude of the bottom of the plane? It looked to me like we were cruising at 35,000 and I was 10 feet high up in the plane.

and you are set to a standard pressure altitude of 1013 mb, hence you may get a different reading off your GPS!

HAWK21M

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:54 pm

I have an Amateur Radio License. If I ever get questioned, I just take it out and show it, that usually ends the problem

Where.
On a Commercial Airliner Travelling as a PAX  Smile
You think they'd let you go.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

qslinger

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting Electech6299 (Reply 8):

Is the UA Ch 9 ATC comm delayed or is it real time?

Many times the the pilot is already exectuing the instructions, like turn or climb, as I hear the ATC is giving it..

Can anyone verify..
Raj Koona

SPREE34

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:20 am

Quoting Qslinger (Reply 30):

It comes directly off the cockpit audio circuit and into the IFE.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

bond007

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:40 am

Personal GPS must remain off on airliners because the way they work which is similar in principal to radar or sonar with signal bounce back, that is how you maintain an up to the minute location and that signal can give a ghost on the A/C GPS. As for the Transceiver it is not allowed as it can be used to talk to the flight deck and interfere with radio Com's. intentionally or not.

No, many airlines specifically allow the use of handheld GPS receivers (as already mentioned).

Well, not the reason, there are exceptions are devices that emit or receive radio signals. If it was to do with passenger comfort and volume, then no MP3 players, ipods, cd players would be allowed ... which they are in cruise flight. We have things called earphones. They are disallowed because they receive radio signals.

The bottom line is that hand-held scanners cannot be used on almost every airline ... in the USA they are specifically prohibited at all times.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

David L

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:41 am

Personal GPS must remain off on airliners because the way they work which is similar in principal to radar or sonar with signal bounce back

As explained by MaidensGator, they don't work by "bouncing" radio waves off anything - they don't actively transmit. In any case, they are permitted in cruise by many airlines, including BA.  Smile

The radio is not to do with interference it is to do with other passenger comfort as alot of people don't seem to know when the volume is up high enough as to be heard by all around them

Using any audio device without headphones could be a nuisance but that, in itself, doesn't prohibit their use with headphones.

AceMcCool99

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:54 am

Bringing one on board without checking with the aircrew first might warrant you a welcoming committee at your destination. Have a drink and enjoy the movie instead  Wink

bond007

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting AceMcCool99 (Reply 34):
Bringing one on board without checking with the aircrew first might warrant you a welcoming committee at your destination.

Not at all. Using it .. yes. Bringing it onboard in a carry-on ... no problem. It's not a prohibited item.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

David L

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:19 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 35):
Bringing it onboard in a carry-on ... no problem. It's not a prohibited item.

I've certainly had a scanner in my carry-on every time I've flown into and out of the USA (pre and post 9/11) and I've never even been asked about it.

onetogo

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting Qslinger (Reply 30):

real time.

NoWorries

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:57 am

Actually they are passive radio receivers. They work by calculating the times it takes to receive signals from the satellites. A handheld GPS emits minimal RF....

Passive (non-broadcasting) receivers/detectors employ various forms of demodulation, some of which involve generating a reference signal. The signal isn't meant to be broadcast, but a poorly designed receiver can leak and generate radio interference. Generally, an FCC-approved device will meet the emission standards mandated for that type of device. The infamous radar-detector-detector used by police to catch people with radar detectors work by detecting the leaking reference signal generated by the detector.

David L

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:05 am

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 38):
The signal isn't meant to be broadcast, but a poorly designed receiver can leak and generate radio interference.

OK, but for context you need to look at the post MaidensGator was replying to.  Smile

NoWorries

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting David L (Reply 39):
OK, but for context you need to look at the post MaidensGator was replying to.

Yep -- I definitely didn't mean to sound like a nit-picker -- GPS receivers definitely don't broadcast -- just meant to point out that with any type of (passive) receiver, there is still concern with the possibility of some leakage. Well-designed, well-built, well-maintained equipment should pose little or no risk.

David L

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:22 am

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 40):
Yep -- I definitely didn't mean to sound like a nit-picker

Just checking. There's plenty of competition for that role.  Smile

ADent

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:23 am

Another issue is that most radios generate their own frequencies/RF as part of the radio receiver (think PLL or super heterodyne). Some of the really cheap models or broken units may spew this RF out and several aviation bands are just above the FM band.

Since your cheap FM toy is really close the plane's antenna and the ATC/Ground Nav is far away, not much noise could cause significant interference.

Note the bad cheap toy FM receiver is typically picking up to 50,000 W ground FM stations typically up to 30 miles away, so some internal interference may be acceptable. The ATC transmitter is going to be much weaker so interference is a bigger issue.

Now 99.99%+ of FM receivers are OK, but if even 1 flight has bad interference problems will not be good.

I think the GPS units are better since the GPS signals are pretty damn weak. So if a bad GPS receiver spewed interfering RF, it would ruin its own reception.

MaidensGator

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:27 am

Passive (non-broadcasting) receivers/detectors employ various forms of demodulation, some of which involve generating a reference signal. The signal isn't meant to be broadcast, but a poorly designed receiver can leak and generate radio interference. Generally, an FCC-approved device will meet the emission standards mandated for that type of device. The infamous radar-detector-detector used by police to catch people with radar detectors work by detecting the leaking reference signal generated by the detector.

I was trying to acknowledge that even though it's passive (non-transmitting), a GPS may cause interference through emissions. I probably should have clarified that rather than using the term "minimal RF." I agree that all such devices may cause interference; my point was that the amount of interference created by a handheld GPS is usually very small.

RDUDDJI

Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 12):
1) You're at the mercy of El Capitan (meaning, if you draw a captain who doesn't like it, channel 9 goes silent )

In the last year, I've probably flown 70 or so segments on UA and only twice have we not had Ch 9. In fact most of the time, either the F/A or one of the pilots makes mention that real-time ATC communitcations will be available on Ch 9.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

CoolGuy

Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:52 am

Some people were talking about UA channel 9. It had XM radio on instead. I was really looking forward to the conversations, but I didn't get that chance.

noelg

Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 44):

In the last year, I've probably flown 70 or so segments on UA and only twice have we not had Ch 9. In fact most of the time, either the F/A or one of the pilots makes mention that real-time ATC communitcations will be available on Ch 9.

Seriously? I've always thought about flying UA for Channel 9 but never do as I thought that most of the time they didn't turn it on! I may reconsider now!  Smile

Quick question - does it just work off the VHF radios (Com 1) or does it link with HF too for transatlantic flights?

COFreqFlyer

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 15):
I have an Amateur Radio License

So what...? Your still in direct violation of the Federal Regulation.

I concur. I hold an Advanced Class license, but that's governed by the FCC Part 97 regs, NOT the Federal Aviation Regs for Part 121/135 air carrier operations. You of all people should understand what type of noise a local oscillator in a receiver creates. And if you don't, then maybe you better turn your ham license back in.
The Proud Bird with the Golden Tail

Electech6299

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:42 am

Generally, an FCC-approved device will meet the emission standards mandated for that type of device

if functioning properly!  yes 

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 40):
Well-designed, well-built, well-maintained equipment should pose little or no risk.

What was the last maintenance you performed on your RF modulators?  Wink

Without testing with a calibrated RF signal generator and receiver in a RF "clean room", you will never know just what interference your particular unit could be causing. This goes for CD players too... IMHO, in light of the availability of flash drive MP3 players, CD players should be banned. But then laptops with CD/DVD drives would have to be banned too, and airlines don't want to tick off their business pax...

NoWorries

Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:07 am

Quoting Electech6299 (Reply 48):
Without testing with a calibrated RF signal generator and receiver in a RF "clean room", you will never know just what interference your particular unit could be causing. This goes for CD players too... IMHO, in light of the availability of flash drive MP3 players, CD players should be banned. But then laptops with CD/DVD drives would have to be banned too, and airlines don't want to tick off their business pax...

Yep -- no argument here -- in the case of "well maintained" consumer equipment, I meant "not abused" -- but that does not guarantee proper operation. About the only way restrictions would tighten is if an "incident" could be tied to some passenger's device.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos