westindian425

XJT To Fly For DL Out Of LAX!

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:54 pm

This is per an internal website. ExpressJet will begin flying as Delta Connection out of LAX on routes to SLC, Mexico, and other locations in California. Look for the press release tomorrow, ladies and gentlemen. Good news indeed.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

AirWillie6475

RE: XJT To Fly For DL Out Of LAX!

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:00 pm

So are they going to have a base in LAX as well as ONT?

whatusaid

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:01 pm

How many aircraft does ASA have on these routes now, given that XJ will replace ASA....

westindian425

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 1):
So are they going to have a base in LAX as well as ONT?

Yes, that will be the case. Who would have thought? I was thinking the DL flying would be based out of SLC.

deltairlines

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Quoting WhatUsaid (Reply 2):
How many aircraft does ASA have on these routes now, given that XJ will replace ASA....

I saw somewhere (either here or on FlyerTalk) that ASA is operating about 6-7 CRJs out of LAX currently. Keep in mind though that more expansion is coming...and I wouldn't be surprised if more came (since the already announced service should be no more than 2 more planes).

toltommy

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:07 pm

given that XJ will replace ASA...

XJ is Mesaba, not ExpressJet..... Mesaba will not be replacing ASA....

AirWillie6475

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 3):
I was thinking the DL flying would be based out of SLC.

Pinnacle is rumored to have SLC for Delta.

floridaflyboy

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:13 pm

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 5):
XJ is Mesaba, not ExpressJet..... Mesaba will not be replacing ASA....

I think he knew that. A lot of people on here shorten ExpressJet to XJ, not referring to that as the actual airline code, but rather just an abbreviation. Most of them know that XJ is mesaba.
Good goes around!

whatusaid

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:36 pm

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 7):
Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 5):XJ is Mesaba, not ExpressJet..... Mesaba will not be replacing ASA....
I think he knew that. A lot of people on here shorten ExpressJet to XJ, not referring to that as the actual airline code, but rather just an abbreviation. Most of them know that XJ is mesaba.

Exactly.

Since XJet (the branded side) has come on-line, it's easier than ever to reference them as XJ.

But, back to the question earlier - anyone know how many ASA RJ's are used out of LAX right now...

DAL767400ER

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:17 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 4):
I saw somewhere (either here or on FlyerTalk) that ASA is operating about 6-7 CRJs out of LAX currently. Keep in mind though that more expansion is coming...and I wouldn't be surprised if more came (since the already announced service should be no more than 2 more planes).

That would certainly fit with the rumors that the new carrier is supposed to operate 10 RJs for Delta. Around 7 to replace ASA, 3 more for expansion, would make sense.

ThePinnacleKid

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:19 pm

The XJ being used to identify ExpressJet on here is simply people trying to shorten the NYSE stock symbol for ExpressJet which is XJT or people not knowing that XJ is Mesaba Airlines and NOT ExpressJet. I've posted this several times but ExpressJet is:

2-letter: XE
3-letter: BTA
NYSE: XJT
and branded/internally sometimes: XJet

[Edited 2007-03-01 14:22:29]
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 6):
Pinnacle is rumored to have SLC for Delta.

A rumor with zero substance to back it up......
Wishful thinking more or less on some 9E pilots.

DAL767400ER

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:30 pm

Expressjet has been confirmed:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070301/nyth057.html?.v=84

Quote:
HOUSTON, March 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- ExpressJet Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: XJT - News) today announced that its subsidiary, ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., signed a two-year capacity purchase agreement with Delta Air Lines, Inc. The deal will cover 10 ERJ-145XR aircraft that will be placed into service during June 2007. Delta will be responsible for scheduling, marketing, pricing and revenue management on the aircraft and will collect all passenger revenues. ExpressJet will operate, maintain and finance the aircraft.

"We are pleased to have ExpressJet join the Delta Connection Program," said Shawn Anderson, Delta's vice president in charge of the Delta Connection program. "We decided to partner with them because of their strong operating performance and the capabilities of their ERJ-145XR fleet that will enable Delta to offer customers more choices to and from the Western ski markets and into Delta's hub in Los Angeles."

Hubbing out of LAX, as expected, though the "Western ski markets" part sounds rather interesting, wonder what kind of routes that'll include.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:43 pm

EGE/JAC/HDN/MTJ type of stuff, although other than the SoCal markets, is this service redundant to SLC?

Don't know in an ERJ can get into ASE.

UN_B732

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:23 am

DL refers to LAX as a hub in this press statement, rather than a focus city.
That means their hubs are ATL/CVG/JFK/SLC/LAX? Does UA consider LAX a hub?
-A
What now?

drewwright

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:37 am

I would qualify the term "hub" by adding calling it an international hub (as opposed to a domestic hub).

xjramper

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:49 am

Quoting ThePinnacleKid (Reply 10):
The XJ being used to identify ExpressJet on here is simply people trying to shorten the NYSE stock symbol for ExpressJet which is XJT or people not knowing that XJ is Mesaba Airlines and NOT ExpressJet. I've posted this several times but ExpressJet is:

2-letter: XE
3-letter: BTA
NYSE: XJT
and branded/internally sometimes: XJet

Because folks, lets face it, I never, in my life, worked or am working for ExpressJet.

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 7):

Nope...alot of people ask me if i work for or used to work for ExpressJet. So most people don't know. XE is expressJet folks.

Quoting WestIndian425 (Thread starter):
ExpressJet will begin flying as Delta Connection out of LAX on routes to SLC, Mexico, and other locations in California.

What happened with Chautauqua flying the ERJs for DCI?

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

Cactus739

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:52 am

So how many Connection carriers does this give Delta?

Comair...ASA...SkyWest... Mesa... CHQ...Xjet... am I missing any?

How does that compare to United or US?
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

FCYTravis

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting Cactus739 (Reply 17):
Comair...ASA...SkyWest... Mesa... CHQ...Xjet... am I missing any?

Don't forget Shuttle America.

US still has more because of their wholly-owned Express carriers, but DL seems determined to catch up...

US: (9) Trans States, Air Wisconsin, Mesa, Chautauqua, Republic, Colgan Air, PSA, Piedmont, Air Midwest
UA: (7) Trans States, ScabJets, Chautauqua, Mesa, Colgan Air, Shuttle America, SkyWest
DL: (7) Comair, ASA, SkyWest, Chautauqua, Mesa, ExpressJet, Shuttle America
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

DAL767400ER

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting FCYTravis (Reply 18):
Don't forget Shuttle America.

US still has more because of their wholly-owned Express carriers, but DL seems determined to catch up...

US: (9) Trans States, Air Wisconsin, Mesa, Chautauqua, Republic, Colgan Air, PSA, Piedmont, Air Midwest
UA: (7) Trans States, ScabJets, Chautauqua, Mesa, Colgan Air, Shuttle America, SkyWest

Delta actually has 8 now, as you forgot about Big Sky, soon to operate BE1s out of BOS.

flyboy7974

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:58 am

This has been talked about and talked about and talked about, and a couple of us have been hinting to this, but nobody has ever picked up on it and others didn't believe. I'm looking through my old post to find the exact one, but I wrote about this before XpressJet announced their initial plans for their stand alone operation.

Evan767

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 13):
EGE/JAC/HDN/MTJ type of stuff

What about just DEN?

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 13):
Don't know in an ERJ can get into ASE.

Aspen does NOT need more capacity. Flights are empty as it is. EGE would be plenty.

Will this mean we will see sandwhiches/better snacks on these flights? Specifically, LAX-SEA?

I am thinking DL will expand XE to: DEN, PHX, and PDX.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

FCYTravis

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 21):
Will this mean we will see sandwhiches/better snacks on these flights? Specifically, LAX-SEA?

No. The contracting carrier sets specs for on-board service. Unless DL's going to pay XE to serve that stuff, it's not going to happen.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

stirling

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:47 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 12):
Hubbing out of LAX, as expected, though the "Western ski markets" part sounds rather interesting,

And remember it isn't just Colorado with the big ski resorts.....Of course there is Sun Valley Idaho, also Sunriver OR, Mammoth CA, and Tahoe CA...Whistler BC is huge, but the best way there is via YVR.
Delete this User

csturdiv

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 19):

Delta actually has 8 now, as you forgot about Big Sky, soon to operate BE1s out of BOS.

Wasn't there a carrier called Freedom Air flying Delta Express routes as well?
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

whatusaid

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:44 am

Quoting Csturdiv (Reply 24):
Wasn't there a carrier called Freedom Air flying Delta Express routes as well?

That's part of Mesa....

belizexp

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting Cactus739 (Reply 17):
So how many Connection carriers does this give Delta?

As of this summer it will be as follow

Comair, SkyWest, ASA, Chautauqua, Shuttle America, Freedom, Mesa, ExpressJet, Big Sky,
Belize my home sweet home...

ASEFlyer

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:56 am

Hubbing out of LAX, as expected, though the "Western ski markets" part sounds rather interesting, wonder what kind of routes that'll include.

I don't know how people would take the ERJs into EGE when they can fly on a 757 from LAX on American. DL should add 75 service from LAX.

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 21):
Aspen does NOT need more capacity. Flights are empty as it is. EGE would be plenty.

Empty? Maybe because of weight restrictions...but I guarantee you they are making plenty of money on these flights. ERJs aren't certified into ASE anyway.

YAY EXPRESS JET!

deltairlines

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:33 am

Quoting Belizexp (Reply 26):
As of this summer it will be as follow

Comair, SkyWest, ASA, Chautauqua, Shuttle America, Freedom, Mesa, ExpressJet, Big Sky,

Not quite - Mesa doesn't actually fly for Delta. All flights are on Freedom, since Mesa as itself can't fly for Delta due to it flying planes with greater than 70 seats (CRJ900s for US) - this was the reason why ACA left the DL Connection programme.

Goldenshield

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:40 am

Quoting ASEFlyer (Reply 27):
Empty? Maybe because of weight restrictions...but I guarantee you they are making plenty of money on these flights.

Weight restrictions to SLC? Well, maybe a little sometimes, but nowhere near an empty plane.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

westindian425

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:42 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 29):
Weight restrictions to SLC? Well, maybe a little sometimes, but nowhere near an empty plane.

The EMB 145XR's weight restriction is basically the MGTOW. Those A1E engines are more than enough to give that aircraft the edge performance-wise. In other words, that plane can pretty much leave full.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:16 pm

Quoting ASEFlyer (Reply 27):
I don't know how people would take the ERJs into EGE when they can fly on a 757 from LAX on American. DL should add 75 service from LAX.

Most of the service into EGE is subsidize/contracted by Vail Resorts. Prior to each season, Vail Resorts negotiates the service into EGE with the airlines. Part of this is the number of seat that are sold as all-inclusive air/hotel/lift ticket packages. While not a direct subsidy, the airlines agree to offer service to specific markets and offer a certain number of seats as part of a package deal. This is what determines a majority of the service into EGE each winter.

Goldenshield

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:03 pm

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 30):
The EMB 145XR's weight restriction is basically the MGTOW. Those A1E engines are more than enough to give that aircraft the edge performance-wise. In other words, that plane can pretty much leave full.

Yeah, that's great for sea level. Give me an answer for takeoff out of ASE with a 150 mile alternate in the dead of summer.

[Edited 2007-03-02 06:06:43]
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

jkudall

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:40 pm

Routes from SLC...including routes that already exist.

floridaflyboy

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:20 pm

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 16):
Nope...alot of people ask me if i work for or used to work for ExpressJet. So most people don't know. XE is expressJet folks.

I don't doubt that you get that question, but I think the overwhelming majority of people who use XJ on this forum are like me and are just too lazy to add that T to the end and make it XJT. I believe that the majority of the people here know that XJ is Mesaba.

[Edited 2007-03-02 07:34:03]
Good goes around!

ejmmsu

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:36 pm

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 34):
I don't doubt that you get that question, but I think the overwhelming majority of people who use XJ on this forum are like me and are just too lazy to add that T to the end and make it XJT. I believe that the majority of the people here know that XJ is Mesaba.

It dosn't change the fact that XJ means mesaba, and XJ does not mean Expressjet. For the sake of correctness, any time someone uses XJ for Expressjet, they should be, and will be, corrected.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

goboeing

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:10 pm

Great to see flying being awarded to quality companies.

I wonder if XJT would consider a dual crew base, similar to that used by airlines that base crews at LGA/EWR/JFK as one location. With the branded flying being at ONT, however, I doubt it would happen. Delta would not be happy if a Delta Connection flight to Mexico was late because XJT had the crew coming in late from its own flight.

airplane  ERJ-145XRs kick the CRJ's butt.  Cool

hawaiian717

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 36):
Delta would not be happy if a Delta Connection flight to Mexico was late because XJT had the crew coming in late from its own flight.

Considering the traffic in the region and the distance between LAX and ONT, I wouldn't consider it feasible to have a crew arrive at ONT and have to head over to LAX for their next flight. What would work is a "Los Angeles" crew base where on some days a crew member would head to ONT to operate an XJet line, and other days might head for LAX to operate a Delta line.

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 35):
It dosn't change the fact that XJ means mesaba, and XJ does not mean Expressjet. For the sake of correctness, any time someone uses XJ for Expressjet, they should be, and will be, corrected.

Do you do the same thing for people that use SW for Southwest?

In the context of this thread, I think its safe to assume that someone using XJ means ExpressJet and not Mesaba. After all, the subject line uses XJT and the thread starter spells out ExpressJet.

ejmmsu

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:12 pm

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 37):

Yes

In the context of this thread, I think its safe to assume that someone using XJ means ExpressJet and not Mesaba. After all, the subject line uses XJT and the thread starter spells out ExpressJet.

It still doesn't change the fact that XJ means mesaba, and XJ does not mean Expressjet. For the sake of correctness, any time someone uses XJ for Expressjet, they should be, and will be, corrected.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

SHUPirate1

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:43 pm

Quoting FCYTravis (Reply 18):

Travis, don't tell the Air Line Pilots Association this, but GoJets' pilots are actually unionized...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

FlyPNS1

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:47 pm

See this is what is crazy about the connection carrier business. DL is now giving business to XJT. XJT can then use those profits to subsidize its independent business which competes against DL. Basically, DL is now funding its competitors.

Granted, I don't expect the independent XJT to last. But if for some reason they do, companies like DL (and CO) will have provided subsidy to their competition.

floridaflyboy

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 35):

I guess it makes some people on this forum feel "important"to correct someone for something that doesn't really matter at all. If we know what it means, what difference does it make?

Exactly. No one gets on people for using SW for southwest, or JB for jetBlue.
Good goes around!

drewwright

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:55 am

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 36):
Delta would not be happy if a Delta Connection flight to Mexico was late because XJT had the crew coming in late from its own flight.

The crews will most likely not be mixed. ONT is pretty far from LAX anyway.

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 40):
XJT can then use those profits to subsidize its independent business which competes against DL.

In which markets will XJT be competing with DL or CO? I don't see any competing city pairs at this time. Regardless, DL probably has some sort of clause in the contract that will prevent XJT's branded service from starting routes in direct competition.

Delta787

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:51 am

Although ExpressJet is a good airline, I still dont like the idea of another Delta Connection airline.
Fly Delta!

FlyPNS1

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting Drewwright (Reply 42):
In which markets will XJT be competing with DL or CO? I don't see any competing city pairs at this time.

While there's no direct pairs, it's still competition. Let's say I live in RDU and want to fly to MSY. I could fly DL RDU-ATL-MSY. Now when XJT arrives, they'll fly the route nonstop. These nonstop routes will skim connecting traffic away from DL. It certainly won't kill DL, but it's never really a bright idea to subsidize a new competitor.

westindian425

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 32):
Yeah, that's great for sea level. Give me an answer for takeoff out of ASE with a 150 mile alternate in the dead of summer.

Okay....how about Saltillo, MX? The XR can do that easily -- spring, summer, fall, and winter -- with driftdown alternates or terrain clearance alternates.

drewwright

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:53 am

I dont think the majors will be sweating over little 'ol XJET. There is only so much one can do with a limited amount of RJs. Unfortunately, all it would take is for DL to reinstate the RDU-MSY nonstop to put a damper on XJETs progress. I also doubt that XJET is making much money off the DL contract...they are probably just happy to have found some flying for at least 10 other aircraft.

ThePinnacleKid

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am

Quoting Drewwright (Reply 46):
I also doubt that XJET is making much money off the DL contract

They'll be doing just fine on the contract. It has to be at least the same values as the current contract with Continental if not higher rate... Otherwise, the clause in the contract with Continental would stipulate that Continental can demand to pay the same amount the other carrier is being charged for XJT services...

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 41):
I guess it makes some people on this forum feel "important"to correct someone for something that doesn't really matter at all. If we know what it means, what difference does it make?

It matters to some.. at least for me because I worked for 9E in the past and had to ground handle XJ equipment.. and now I fly for XE... so it does matter... and would I correct someone for SW instead of using WN... no since SW is Air Namibia which doesn't operate in the same geographic region as Southwest (WN)... most people don't associate SW being an actual airline other than WN... so a little different scenario... whereas XJ and XE operate in the same area (US) flying both as regional airlines (read into that low profile) most are confused between the two.. and don't realize that XJ is Mesaba and XE is ExpressJet... furthermore XE is a newer code... so its just starting to be recognized by a.netters and others so might as well get it out there and in use... before, we used RU for stuff...
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

floridaflyboy

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting ThePinnacleKid (Reply 47):
It matters to some.. at least for me because I worked for 9E in the past and had to ground handle XJ equipment.. and now I fly for XE... so it does matter... and would I correct someone for SW instead of using WN... no since SW is Air Namibia which doesn't operate in the same geographic region as Southwest (WN)... most people don't associate SW being an actual airline other than WN... so a little different scenario... whereas XJ and XE operate in the same area (US) flying both as regional airlines (read into that low profile) most are confused between the two.. and don't realize that XJ is Mesaba and XE is ExpressJet... furthermore XE is a newer code... so its just starting to be recognized by a.netters and others so might as well get it out there and in use... before, we used RU for stuff...

I understand and agree that it matters in the workplace. I just don't see why people have to nit-pick and jump all over each other on this forum when everyone knows exactly what's being talked about in the thread.
Good goes around!

Goldenshield

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:35 am

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 45):
Okay....how about Saltillo, MX? The XR can do that easily -- spring, summer, fall, and winter -- with driftdown alternates or terrain clearance alternates.

The 4778 ft at Saltillo is not the 7820 ft at Aspen. Also, looking at the satilite image, it looks like they depart south out of Satillo, which provides plenty of maneuvering room with that large valley that the city sits in. I've never been to this city, but based on the mountains to the north, it looks like a 1-way airport; however that's a tough call based on the satilite images and lack of geo data. It's 358 miles (great circle) to IAH, and from that altitude, that's not an issue for the CR7.

I must note that it's not the altitude or tempurature at Aspen that really hurt performance; it's the 10 knot tailwinds that [i]REALLY[/r] kill you.