SFOFlyer
Topic Author

Flight Attendants/Pilots - Sida Equivalent Badged?

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:41 pm

Obviously, Flight Attendants and Pilots have to go to rigorous security training (or at least I would hope so), but are their badges considered SIDA badges?

I just recently sat through the non-SIDA training at SJC because I do some consulting at the FBO on the far side of the airport and at the SJC Administration office, where the tests are given, I have seen ramp workers, bus drivers, gate agents, food service, TSA, etc... taking the test, but I occurred to me that I have never seen a flight attendant or pilot. I would assume that they take it at their airlines operations center.

Just curious...

SFOFlyer

[Edited 2007-03-05 06:41:20]
UA 1K Million Mile Flyer

Jeremy

RE: Flight Attendants/Pilots - Sida Equivalent Badged?

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:17 pm

Air crew usually will not have an airport SIDA badge but their crew airline ID is ok as long as they stay within the safety circle of the aircraft.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:20 pm

Our badges give us some access to areas of the airport (aircraft, some secure areas), but not all (the ramp, to name one).
You can't cure stupid

Lucky42

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:21 pm

Quoting SFOFlyer (Thread starter):
Obviously, Flight Attendants and Pilots have to go to rigorous security training (or at least I would hope so), but are their badges considered SIDA badges?

Actually no they are not..Flight crews have kind of a waiver of sorts they can go onto the AOA but it is supposed to be limited to the vicinity of the aircraft they are working i.e. (first officer walk around). But I have seen flight crews walk across the ramp to save time if connecting to another a/c which is really not supposed to be allowed. However some airlines flight crews have SIDA badges for the airport they are based at..

ha763

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:46 pm

New regulations required U.S. airlines to redesign employee badges to a uniform standard that clearly identifies which employees are crew members and which are not. That's why you see F/A's and pilots with "CREW" in big letters on their employee IDs. Before anyone gets upset, this information is not exposing any security secrets.

I would assume that all U.S. airline crew have a SIDA/AOA badge for their base airport. It makes it much easier to get to the crew lounges and offices, which are all located past security.

acidradio
Crew

Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:30 pm

Quoting Ha763 (Reply 4):
I would assume that all U.S. airline crew have a SIDA/AOA badge for their base airport. It makes it much easier to get to the crew lounges and offices, which are all located past security.

Only a few US airports require that crews have an airport-issued SIDA badge. This could be more that certain breakrooms are located in SIDA areas and the airport requires a SIDA badge to swipe past that door, while visiting pilots from other bases do not always have to have a SIDA badge. And to get through security, all crews DO have to go through security, unlike many SIDA-badged people.

There have been proposals to make a nationwide, universal SIDA badge, which would be really neat for everyone. However, the cost was found to be prohibitive, with benefit for only a few people. Examples, like a union rep who had 30 different SIDA badges as he traveled to many work locations to meet with employees, were given, but it was found that to generate a local SIDA badge (like it is now) costs around US$2.00 and some kind of harmonized nationwide badge would cost more like US$30.00 each! I think this cost accounts for converting every airport door in the US to one universal system and linking them all.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

modesto2

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:55 am

Besides my CREW badge, I also have a SIDA badge for my base airport. This badge allows access to employee parking and the crew room.

N353SK

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:58 am

I was under the impression that all airline crew have a SIDA badge for their home base airport. Is that untrue?

crjflyer35

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:37 am

I don't know about just their home base....but imagine if every crew member had to go through SIDA training for each airport in their companies route system...they'd need another suitcase for all the badges.....I know at my airport, most of our main airline's employees do not have SIDA badges, and their crew badge limits them to the shadow of the aircraft they're working.
Ok, wait for the RJ to pass, cleared to push tail south Mike, and you're cleared to spin #2 in the push.

ludavid777

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:43 am

All crews go through the FBI 10-year background check, fingerprinting, etc, which is the TSA-mandated pre-requisite for a SIDA badge... Only certain airports require you to actually have the SIDA badge, but either way, when you apply for the position you fill up all the paperwork as if you're getting one... and if you need one you just have to go and watch the video, take the test, and you're done... and some places are actually optional, like IAD... depends on the airline as well, if they want to bare the cost...

jetjack74

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:55 am

Quoting SFOFlyer (Thread starter):

Quoting Jeremy (Reply 1):
Air crew usually will not have an airport SIDA badge but their crew airline ID is ok as long as they stay within the safety circle of the aircraft.

At DTW, we have the option to get a SIDA badge for use of the secured parking shuttle. Pilots and Flight Attendants can apply for one to use the the AOA shuttle that drops us off outside of In-flight services/Flight Ops.
Made from jets!

jetboy319

Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:32 am

As previously mentioned, it depends on the specific airport. Some airports require it of flight crew while others don't. As to why you didn't see any flight crew in SJC, that is probably because there is no crew base there for any commercial airline (that I am aware of). I know at one time it was considered part of the SFO co-domicile for AA, but after AA suspended their international flights and decreased mainline flying, I'm not sure if it still exists.