rootsair

Mejor Que Pollo Campero!Central American Av-8!

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:19 pm

I am happy to see Central American Aviation has reached its 8th version ! For the previous thread click on this link!

Mejor Que El Gallo Pinto!Central American Av-7! (by RootsAir Feb 16 2007 in Civil Aviation)

The highlights of the previous thread were :

All of Central america: Pollo Campero

Belize: Cessna plane crash

Panama: CM will start the process of relining its hub operation at PTY to 4 flight banks, some of the new destinations to go 3 daily are MIA and LIM with others going daily or 2 daily, for information and discussion on this subject read this thread
CM Realigns PTY Hub, Adds Frequencies (by Andahuailas Feb 18 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Costa Rica: -TA announce that the HAV flight trafiic has grown by 20% since they moved it to from SAL to SJO .. -SDQ is being added from SJO

El Salvador:TACA SAL-LIM flight is going to 9X week

Guatemala:TA Regional will have 2 daily flights GUA-TGU-SAP-TGU-GUA, flight will be operated with ATR-42-300.

Regards

BM

[Edited 2007-03-05 12:31:17]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

carmenlu15

RE: Mejor Que Pollo Campero!Central American Av-8!

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:23 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):

Silly You might want to check The Official Pollo Campero Thread Big grin (by Carmenlu15 Mar 3 2007 in Non Aviation)
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

2travel2know

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):

Again I must remind you all that currently there's not a single Pollo Campero restaurant in Panamá. Don't know if there're in Belize.
Maybe Campero will be back someday @ the Grupo Poma partly owned Multiplaza Pacific Shopping Centre in the other 1-2 shopping centres they might be developing here in Panama City.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

yellowtail

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:56 am

No ..no campero here. thoug h Ilove it...actually they came to look around but discovered that the "nice and nasty" that the chinese serve were in their words were "Cheaper, and better tasting" ..CAN YOU BELIVE THAT!...alas all we have is a Subway  cry 

Back to aviation guys....
The DL CRL ROn flight has been coming in LATE, the last few weeks.....the ariport had to stay open an extra three hours to accomodate them on Sat. It did come in pretty full though so not all is bad.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

rootsair

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 2):

Again I must remind you all that currently there's not a single Pollo Campero restaurant in Panamá. Don't know if there're in Belize.
Maybe Campero will be back someday @ the Grupo Poma partly owned Multiplaza Pacific Shopping Centre in the other 1-2 shopping centres they might be developing here in Panama City.

If you see how I wrote the highlights I wrote them per country!

however, MOST threads seemd to be about pollo campero, hence why I said All of Central America because after all we are ALL central americans and the most frequent comments on the C-A av thread were about Pollo Campero!
It was a humourous mention

airplane   wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

carmenlu15

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 2):
Again I must remind you all that currently there's not a single Pollo Campero restaurant in Panamá.

I have to wonder how much would CM charge me for shipping some boxes...  Silly

Back to aviation, MX will be increasing frequencies to GUA, SJO and PTY next month. More info here: Mexicana Back To PTY And More Of Them And Click! (by Ghost77 Feb 28 2007 in Civil Aviation)

- Carmen
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

mt99

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:32 am

I really am proud that we have kept this Central American Thread going for so long. Let try to keep focused here.. Let me offer a topic for discussion..

Where do you guys think what other cities new airports might be need in the region.. Maybe 5-10 years down the road?

Id like to suggest a regional airport in the Golfo de Fonseca area of El Salvador. The area is getting a huge new port and is booming, so faster links to the El Salvador main airport (cargo, businesspeople) might be beneficial.

The trip currently takes 2hrs or so. Worth a 20 min flight? maybe not... Maybe a rail link would be the answer..

Anyway that is stretching it - but alas, with such a small country...
Step into my office, baby

rootsair

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:53 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 6):
Maybe a rail link would be the answer..

You have a good idea, but I am sure that due to recurrent earthquakes in the region is a bit fragile to have a rail link. Plus there doesn t seem to be any tradition for railway travel in Central america (at least in Costa Rica this form of transport has practically disappeared). A railway link would be the good solution but I wonder if there is incentive or money to make that possible. Imagine, a high speed railway link across Central America and flights such as SAL-GUA would become as useless as CDG-BRU flights for O/D tafic .. but we can dream on !

Regards
BM  airplane   wave 

mt99

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 7):
Imagine, a high speed railway link across Central America and flights such as SAL-GUA would become as useless as CDG-BRU flights for O/D tafic .. but we can dream on !

Yea.. i can see tha happening in the next 50 years. If it would happen it would be between GUA and SAL firts due to the simboitic relationship the 2 countries have.

Intersting facts:

-Salvadorean tourists represent a total of more than 35% of total number of tourist in Guatemala. Also, Salvadorean tourist spend much more on a daily basis in Guatemala than European and North American backpackers.

- SAL-GUA border crossings are the busiest in the region

- 65% ( it think) of all intra-central american trade happens between GUA and SAL.

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 7):
recurrent earthquakes in the region is a bit fragile to have a rail link.

Japan has a railroad. A fast one at that!

viaggiare

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:39 pm

In other news, an Atlas Air 747-200 freighter (N540MC, serial 22508) landed at LIR yesterday morning -largest aircraft ever at Liberia- with some unusual and pretty interesting cargo... the newest residents of the Africa Mía Natural Reserve Park, located near the town of Bagaces, in Guanacaste province.

Most notably among the wildlife on board the flight from MIA: six giraffes, two zebras, four watusi cattle, two camels, and several antelopes (including orix gazelle, giant eland, greater kudu and bongos) all brought in from sub-Saharan Africa.

Quite sadly, one of the young giraffes succumbed to cardiac arrest shortly after arrival at the park, presumably as a result of the highly stressful journey... and perhaps even a bit of rough handling.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

snaiks

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:48 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 6):
Where do you guys think what other cities new airports might be need in the region.. Maybe 5-10 years down the road?

well I think TGU needs a new airport(LOCATION), being the capital of honduras, I think that they can find a place better suited for an airport, if you see the airport chart/approach chart, has restricted areas all around it because of mountains. Also the airport is closed many days out of a year because of bad weather, what do u think? can it happen?

Another airport that needs fixing is Bocas Del Toro in Panama, Bocas is becoming on of the first places where tourist want to go, by car is really difficult(been there done that) the road from David to Bocas is thru the Cordillera, it is a fun drive, exciting sceneries, but if I have to go again to Bocas, I think is not going to be by car. I think the RWY needs to be resurfaced and taken care of.

just my 2 cents.

carmenlu15

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:16 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 6):

Where do you guys think what other cities new airports might be need in the region..

The current government is investing in improving the conditions of several airstrips across the country, building passenger terminals, etc., to upgrade them to the category of "airports".
Guatemala To Get New Airports (by Carmenlu15 Jul 7 2006 in Civil Aviation)

I think Guatemala could use a more extensive domestic network. Due to its topography and road conditions, many road trips take 4+ hours... imagine doing that same trip by air in less than 60 minutes.  Smile For instance, my father has customers in Quetzaltenango, and it's usual for him to make daytrips to take care of the business there. He ends up spending more time on the road than at his destination...

It would also have positive implications in the tourism industry, especially with the increasing cruise ship visits. Passengers could easily make a day trip from Puerto Barrios to Tikal or Antigua... and by showing them the best of our country, we get them to visit again for a longer stay.  Smile

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 8):
If it would happen it would be between GUA and SAL firts due to the simboitic relationship the 2 countries have.

IMO, it would increase even more the traffic between the two countries. The current road is in good condition, but let's just say the trip is not exactly safe.  Sad And the flight, in addition to being a bit on the expensive side, takes up almost as much time as the trip by car, taking into account the time you spend at the airport before departure, the time to clear customs, the distance between SAL and the city, etc. ...

mt99

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 11):
The current road is in good condition, but let's just say the trip is not exactly safe.

Yea.. Heard the news latetly? Scary scary stuff...

as much time as the trip by car, taking into account the time you spend at the airport before departure, the time to clear customs, the distance between SAL and the city, etc. ...

True again. I wonder how much O/D trafiic really exist between both airports...

mt99

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:09 am

IMO, it would increase even more the traffic between the two countries.

That would, IMHO, be great. The closer our little countries get together the better  Smile

2travel2know

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting Snaiks (Reply 10):
well I think TGU needs a new airport(LOCATION), being the capital of honduras, I think that they can find a place better suited for an airport, if you see the airport chart/approach chart, has restricted areas all around it because of mountains. Also the airport is closed many days out of a year because of bad weather, what do u think? can it happen?

Just see Google maps and you'll notice how close XPL is from TGU. As I been saying for quite a long time, Tegucigalpa already has an extra airport, it's up to the Hondureños to make the road to XPL 4 lane (the Hondurean people will be ever grateful) and build an international terminal at the far south end of XPL very far from the military installations. Current TGU Toncontín could remain in use exclusively for GA and commercial aircraft of less than 20 passengers, something like Pavas SYQ in San José or Ilopango MSSS in San Salvador.

The current road is in good condition, but let's just say the trip is not exactly safe.

Which of the roads between GUA and SAL isn't the one exactly safe? There's the Panamericana and there's a shorter one, not for trucks. I believe that one day one of those roads between SAL and GUA will be 4 lane and that day GUA and SAL will be competitors.

mt99

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:45 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 14):
Which of the roads between GUA and SAL isn't the one exactly safe? There's the Panamericana and there's a shorter one, not for trucks. I believe that one day one of those roads between SAL and GUA will be 4 lane and that day GUA and SAL will be competitors.

In reality non of the roads are "safe" There was a huge debacle a few years back regarding travel between both countries. Sal tourists would be assaulted in Guatemala. It came to the point that a group of salvadoreans that had been assaulted took out billboards on the way to the border alterting drivers not to cross due to the risk. Salvadorean authorities demanded better protection on the roads.. sheesh!..

(I am going to take middle ground here and say that, in part it was media-fueled.)

And if you havent seen the news latlely, 3 Salvadorean represntatives to the Central American Parliament were recenty abducted, tourtured and pretty much burnt inside their car.

The panamericana on SAL side is already 4 lane from the border to San Salvador. Maybe Carmen can verify that it is the case in Guatemalan side. Id be surprised it is not. I have used the Southern route more often lately - that is a 2 lane on both side pretty much until you hit that awsome toll road into Guatemala city (great volcano views)!. and of course the Sarita restaurant...

2travel2know

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 15):
And if you havent seen the news latlely, 3 Salvadorean represntatives to the Central American Parliament were recenty abducted, tourtured and pretty much burnt inside their car.

Don't give other Centralamericans ideas on what to do with their diputados if they're angry with them.

Regarding the roads between SAL and GUA, I would usually stay in SAL and if I've business in GUA I would drive for the day there and back to SAL in the mid afternoon. Since it's a kind of an open border between Guatemala and El Salvador, the amount of cars with Salvadorean license plates now in Guatemala City is astonishing.

carmenlu15

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 12):

Yea.. Heard the news latetly? Scary scary stuff...

Yup... and it's always the bad stuff that makes news round the world.  Sad

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 12):

True again. I wonder how much O/D trafiic really exist between both airports...

The two times I've visited SAL, I went there by air. Then again, I wouldn't expect TA to send their reservations agents in the bus...  Silly

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 15):

The panamericana on SAL side is already 4 lane from the border to San Salvador. Maybe Carmen can verify that it is the case in Guatemalan side.

4 lane here as well, it also underwent some overhauling recently. The area near the city has developed a lot in the last few years, with massive shopping malls (one of them the largest in Central America, I think?) and posh residential projects.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 15):
I have used the Southern route more often lately - that is a 2 lane on both side pretty much until you hit that awsome toll road into Guatemala city (great volcano views)!. and of course the Sarita restaurant...

And then the massive traffic jams to enter the city, after you've left the toll road. I'm so glad my parents didn't pick that area when we were looking for a house some 6 years ago... not that the road to Antigua is any better with the roadworks though  cry 

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 16):
Don't give other Centralamericans ideas on what to do with their diputados if they're angry with them.

That's just wrong... but too damn funny  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

viaggiare

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:01 am

It would also have positive implications in the tourism industry, especially with the increasing cruise ship visits. Passengers could easily make a day trip from Puerto Barrios to Tikal or Antigua.

Absolutely. Cruise ship pax are limited by tight schedules at the various ports of call and couldn't possibly get to experience both of these extraordinary places.

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 14):
Which of the roads between GUA and SAL isn't the one exactly safe?

Same question here. I ventured as far as Jutiapa once, and that was wholly on the Panamericana. The other road to the Salvadoran border seemed somewhat less interesting. Besides, what self-respecting adventure seeker goes for the shorter route?

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 17):
The area near the city has developed a lot in the last few years, with massive shopping malls (one of them the largest in Central America, I think?) and posh residential projects.

Would that be the Pradera Concepcion in Santa Catarina Pinula perhaps?

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 17):
And then the massive traffic jams to enter the city, after you've left the toll road.

Not sure what toll road this is you're referring to. Which one is it?

carmenlu15

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 18):
Same question here. I ventured as far as Jutiapa once, and that was wholly on the Panamericana.

Well, as Mt99 said, there's not a single "safe" road here... but the one we're referring to is the Panamericana.

Would that be the Pradera Concepcion in Santa Catarina Pinula perhaps?

Correct!

Not sure what toll road this is you're referring to. Which one is it?

The 23-km long Autopista Palín - Escuintla, located south of the city.

http://www.guate360.com/galeria/details.php?image_id=1881

snaiks

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:46 pm

hey i recently saw a video of a TA b767, well i thing i was to young to like planes and to know about TA, but for how long did they have that 767, what type was it? how many did they have? what other planes did they have? what happened to them?

thanks in advance

2travel2know

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:45 pm

TA (the original Salvadorean) had B767 before they changed to Airbus.
They got the B767 mainly for the SAL-LAX and SAL-MIA routes.
I think it was also used on the SAL-IAD-JFK route.

DesertAir

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:57 pm

Pollo Campero...I have eaten at a number of Pollo Camperos...San Pedro Sula and Guatemala City. I recall they had the portable Campero for brief runs in towns like Chiquimula and Huehuetenango. I understand there is a Pollo Campero in Los Angeles. Anyway, about airlines...Is there any word on Tikal Jets; whether or not they intend to fly again? I though there suspension was temporary.

TACAA320

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 21):

No as long as I remember.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

yellowtail

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:57 pm

They got the B767 mainly for the SAL-LAX and SAL-MIA routes.

Not to nitpick but it was actually SAL-BZE-MIA and the occaisional SAL-BZE-IAH with the 767. I have flown on both runs.......it was also SAL-GUA-LAX..remember one went of the end of the runway in GUA

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 23):
No as long as I remember.

Actually they did..but not for a very long time....

TACAA320

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:14 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 24):
Actually they did..but not for a very long time....

When?

He was talking about the 767.

The 767 never flew such route. Even more, JFK was a LR's route not a TA's one.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

yellowtail

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:10 am

DL jsut announce LAX -BZE.....All those Belizeans in LA are gonan love this....airport staff won't enjoy gettign out of bed early though!

and allthough it is only once weekly......CO and AA will not be happy about this they make tons of $$$$$ connections BZE-IAH/DFW-LAX

Go DL! Can;t blame them for being aggressive.

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/070308/115157.html

[Edited 2007-03-08 17:12:42]

aer

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 8):
Yea.. i can see tha happening in the next 50 years. If it would happen it would be between GUA and SAL firts due to the simboitic relationship the 2 countries have.

well if GUA goes from Cat. II to Cat. III you will see this in the near future.

Due to its topography and road conditions, many road trips take 4+ hours... imagine doing that same trip by air in less than 60 minutes.

Don't forget when they are fixing the roads and you move 2 meters in 3 hrs.
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

carmenlu15

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:52 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 26):
DL jsut announce LAX -BZE....

Great news!  thumbsup 

Quoting Aer (Reply 27):
Don't forget when they are fixing the roads and you move 2 meters in 3 hrs.

Don't remind me... I live on the road to San Lucas! Either I get out my home at 5:30 in the morning, or I get stuck in traffic forever and ever...  cry 

TACAA320

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 28):
forever and ever...

Amen!

LTU932

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:40 am

Good news for SJO:
Spirit Increases FLL-Caribbean Frequencies (by MAH4546 Mar 8 2007 in Civil Aviation)

The new FLL-SJO flight by NK will be double daily and include at least one redeye flight, even though the route hasn't started yet. Launch date for this route is April 5, 2007.

LTU932

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 am

Yes, and they even had -ER models, though those got to waste in a way. I mean, why the hell would TA order -ER models if they never flew longhauls before switching to an all-narrowbody fleet?

EDIT: Typo

[Edited 2007-03-09 21:44:53]

mt99

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 31):
Yes, and they even had -ER models, though those got to waste in a way. I mean, why the hell would TA order -ER models if they never flew longhauls before switching to an all-narrowbody fleet?

I heard that cargo made a huge amounts of money for them using the 767s. Would ER's have more cargo capacity?

belizexp

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 25):

The 767 never flew such route. Even more, JFK was a LR's route not a TA's one.

Are you sure I do remember TA flying the 767-300 into T3 at JFK in the late 90's ...This A/C later got pick up by AV to do the JFK - BOG run
Belize my home sweet home...

yellowtail

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:22 am

Quoting Belizexp (Reply 33):
Are you sure I do remember TA flying the 767-300 into T3 at JFK in the late 90's ...This A/C later got pick up by AV to do the JFK - BOG run

IT did do it..I remember it too.....it was the 200ER.....but it was the 767....I believe it was the one that was leased from or eventually leased to NZ.

Perhaps it was just a sub flight like they did with the IAH run....

LTU932

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 32):
I heard that cargo made a huge amounts of money for them using the 767s. Would ER's have more cargo capacity?

I believe non-ER models have a bit more cargo capacity because they may not have whatever extra tanks are needed to make a 767 an -ER model.

AFAIK, and correct me if I'm wrong, TA's 767s never did a route that was significantly longer than for example a US transcon. They never flew those aircraft for over 4000, or even 5000 nm to justify having a 767-300ER. And even if they subleased their 767s during low season, that's still no real justification for putting to waste an excellent longhaul aircraft for the sake of extra capacity on short routes during the rest of the year. That's what the 767-200A and 767-300A are for, not the -200ER or -300ER.

TACAA320

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:59 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 32):

I heard that cargo made a huge amounts of money for them using the 767s.

TA also used A300s as cargo planes.

Quoting Belizexp (Reply 33):

Are you sure I do remember TA flying the 767-300 into T3 at JFK in the late 90's ...

As long as I remember yes I'm sure [specially in the late 90's], but I can be wrong.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 35):

AFAIK, and correct me if I'm wrong, TA's 767s never did a route that was significantly longer than for example a US transcon. They never flew those aircraft for over 4000, or even 5000 nm to justify having a 767-300ER.

Right.
Beautiful airplane the ER. I remember flying in it on its way to MIA via Belize. Amazing landings at Belize [sometime even scary].

rootsair

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:06 pm

Hi
I have just seen on the IBeria website that in December flights to SJO will be operated by the A340-300? Why have they decided to downgrade from the A346 ?
 airplane   wave 

carmenlu15

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:00 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 30):
The new FLL-SJO flight by NK will be double daily and include at least one redeye flight, even though the route hasn't started yet. Launch date for this route is April 5, 2007.

More flights for the region, that's always great news!

Now, the following is just a rumor... but last week I had a coffee with my best friend and one of his coworkers, and since both are in the industry, guess what we were talking about... Anyway, according to this guy, he'd heard that NK is planning further expansion to the region... starting with GUA. I personally think it's too good to be true, but who knows...  scratchchin 

In other aviation news, Pres. Bush is coming to Guatemala tomorrow. Airspace will be closed from 19:00 to 21:00 Sunday, and again from 19:00 to 21:00 Monday. In addition, all local flights will be suspended on Monday. I don't know if it's related, but I've been hearing more than the usual helicopter traffic overflying my house... perhaps having to do with Bush's planned visit to Chimaltenango?

- Carmen

tomascubero

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:51 am

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 9):
In other news, an Atlas Air 747-200 freighter (N540MC, serial 22508) landed at LIR yesterday morning -largest aircraft ever at Liberia- with some unusual and pretty interesting cargo... the newest residents of the Africa Mía Natural Reserve Park, located near the town of Bagaces, in Guanacaste province.

I'm sorry but this is quite wrong hehe, the largest ever aicraft to have landed in LIR was a Polet Air Cargo AN-124 last year when an engine was brought for a damaged Delta 757-200 after a birdstrike. This was in February 2006. Apart from that, a Kalitta Air 747-200 landed with an engine for a Continental 737 after it had some trouble as well in LIR after this.

This flight was the regular FWL123 that routes every Tuesday MIA-GUA-SJO-MIA but instead of going to GUA, it did LIR. Very exciting though for LIR! They should be getting another large one since more animals are due to come in.

I have also heard the presence of an airshow in LIR this May, done by Aviacion Civil, I'll definetly be going if it is 100% confirmed!

The frequency increase by NK is great! That means that you can now connect to any airport via FLL, specially SXM without having to spend the night. Redeye flight will be good. I can smell them upgrading at least one flight to an A321 for capacity.

Cheers!
Tomas.

LTU932

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting Tomascubero (Reply 39):
This flight was the regular FWL123 that routes every Tuesday MIA-GUA-SJO-MIA but instead of going to GUA, it did LIR. Very exciting though for LIR! They should be getting another large one since more animals are due to come in.

As sidenote, I believe RF flights are usually EQV, and they subcharter aircraft for those flights, as they barely have any equipment of their own. It seems though that those flights are operated by 747s more frequently than usual.

rootsair

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:34 pm

Incredible no one mentioned this before! UA To Costa Rica? (by ORDTerminal1 Feb 20 2007 in Civil Aviation)

airplane   wave 

LTU932

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:45 am

The thing is that UA axed their flights to SJO a while ago. The thread you linked was about the confusion that was caused by (once again) inaccurate information from Wikipedia. UA does however operate a once weekly ORD-LIR nonstop with a 757.

tomascubero

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:17 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 42):
UA does however operate a once weekly ORD-LIR nonstop with a 757.

An A320 actually, flight is UA1060 ORD-LIR. UA did have the 752 from ORD, LAX-GUA-SJO, and an A320 from IAG to SJO. I believe there was a DEN-SJO with a 757 for like two or three months.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 40):
As sidenote, I believe RF flights are usually EQV, and they subcharter aircraft for those flights, as they barely have any equipment of their own. It seems though that those flights are operated by 747s more frequently than usual.

Well they don't schedule EQV, their schedule is B763 on frequencies 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and D1F on 7. Usually they never operate themselves those flights, and let LanCargo do the job, which is always a 763. You will get in SJO at this time maybe 3-4 flights a week with an FWL callsign, this time of the year its 747's or DC10's only. The 763 comes with LCO when RF doesn't operate flights, they are the same company along with MasAir and ABSA (That explains the wide variety of 763 Freighters in SJO all the time).

Take JW for example, just some weeks ago, all their flights to SJO came up as 74F! They don't operate 747's anymore, they used to last year for their Brazil/Venezuela/Colombia routes and they were GTI 742's. SJO gets a mixture of D1F and DC86, same as PTY, SAL, GUA, MGA and SAP.

As a sidenote, I've noticed a lot of movement by Murray Cargo in SAP with DC86's from LRD. Coming in quite regularly these days.

And for Carmen, did you notice the AIN (African International) DC86 in GUA last weekend? It flew EDDP-KEWR-MGGT-KMIA-EBOS. Also a World MD-11 has been coming into GUA, together with an ATA L1011 and an Omni DC10, Bush related?

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 38):
In other aviation news, Pres. Bush is coming to Guatemala tomorrow. Airspace will be closed from 19:00 to 21:00 Sunday, and again from 19:00 to 21:00 Monday. In addition, all local flights will be suspended on Monday. I don't know if it's related, but I've been hearing more than the usual helicopter traffic overflying my house... perhaps having to do with Bush's planned visit to Chimaltenango?

Would you think spotting at GUA would be affected? I know that in SJO when Laura Bush came in the C-32A (752) last May, they did the same thing but no actual problem for spotters, just local police officers with M-16's guarding each emergency exit on the perimeter of the airport.

Cheers!
Tomas.

[Edited 2007-03-11 20:18:23]

rootsair

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:20 am

Out of subject! could anyone tell me how the Padre Minor affair with Parmenio Medina is going on ?
Haven't seen in when I see la Nacion (which isn't that often)

Thanks
 airplane   wave 

viaggiare

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:13 pm

the largest ever aicraft to have landed in LIR was a Polet Air Cargo AN-124 last year

Hmmm wasn't aware of that one. If true, then that record stands to this day. The Antonov An-124-100 Ruslan is indeed 23% larger in terms of wingspan, and 9% larger as far as height is concerned... but did you know that the B742's fuselage is actually 1.56 meters longer than that of the A124?

This flight was the regular FWL123 that routes every Tuesday MIA-GUA-SJO-MIA but instead of going to GUA, it did LIR.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 40):
I believe RF flights are usually EQV, and they subcharter aircraft for those flights, as they barely have any equipment of their own.

Whatever the case may have been, I'm absolutely certain that it was an Atlas Air B742 freighter (reg. N540MC) that landed at LIR last Tuesday morning.

TACAA320

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:57 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 44):
Out of subject! could anyone tell me how the Padre Minor affair with Parmenio Medina is going on ?

Still pending. And nobody knows for how long.

mt99

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:37 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 36):
TA also used A300s as cargo planes.

Wasnt that part of TACA Cargo - I thought it was set up to work as a separate company.. How long did that last? 2 years?..

I dont think that the use of of the 767 and A300 was concurrent.. My conjecture is that TA figured that there was $$ to be made in cargo.. ditched the 767 in favour of more efficient passenger A320 family and figured that the cargo portion could be picked up by using second hand A300s - therefore get the best of both worlds. Guess they were wrong.

juanchito

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting Tomascubero (Reply 43):
Would you think spotting at GUA would be affected? I know that in SJO when Laura Bush came in the C-32A (752) last May, they did the same thing but no actual problem for spotters, just local police officers with M-16's guarding each emergency exit on the perimeter of the airport.

Tomas,

Spotting was affect on GUA at least we could see some F15, C5, C17 and Blackhawks
Almost al streets near the airport where closed

Regards

Juanchito

[Edited 2007-03-12 16:19:32]
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

TACAA320

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 47):
How long did that last? 2 years?..

Two or three. I can't recall the exact time by now.