B777ER
Topic Author

Delta Rumor Mill Alive And Well

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:57 pm

I found the following info off a pilot forum (a caveat, this was retrieved off a public forum, not a private one). This was posted by a DL pilot who had himself just gotten the information. I imagine the info circulated amongst DALPA members from on high. Take it for what its worth. The only thing I think will never happen is the B6 rumor included in it. I hope the rest come true....imagine winglets on a 763 and 787's! So with that said here goes the latest DL rumors (copy and pasted the following):

First, I want to explain a little about the Executive Jet agreement. One of the reasons we signed this contract is to tie up our gates in LAX and keep them from being taken back by the airport. We have huge plans for international expansion out of LAX including 787s. There will be a multi-billion $$ aircraft order announced after we emerge from BK.

JFK - Realignment of mgt at JFK. Improved passenger flow through terminals. $500 million terminal upgrade. Increase in pay for ground workers. Hiring 400 new ground employees for summer. Whitehurst re-iterated his desire to purchase Jet Blew to get their terminal at JFK.

Boston-Logan - long-term plans for Boston include international expansion with the 757-200ERs. This is not going to happen in the short-term as JFK is the focus for now.

CVG - remain status quo. Most profitable hub in 2006. Some summer increase in flight hours.

Winglets - plan on installing them on all of the 737-800s that have kits already installed and the rest later, all of the 757-ERs we get this summer will have the winglets installed before we put them into service (we will be getting these aircraft earlier than planned). All 757-200 will get winglets except the oldest ones. American has promised a 767-300 to the company that makes the winglets so they can flight-test and certify them. Once certification is complete, we will be installing winglets on all of our 767-300s.

5% increase in flight hours for this summer. Staffing may cause some issues.

ASA in ATL - we are replacing all over and under wing workers with Delta employees.

Debt load - AA - $17B, UA - $19B, DL - $7-8B - we will be in considerably better shape once emerging from BK.

Grinstein plans to retire in August.

All flight attendants will be recalled this summer and they will be hiring off the street. If someone on furlough wants to bypass and does not want to get terminated, they should indicate a base that is not recalling. Whitehurst said Delta will not terminate flight attendants unless they bypass recall to a base they chose to be recalled too.

PavlovsDog

RE: Delta Rumor Mill Alive And Well

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting B777ER (Thread starter):
There will be a multi-billion $$ aircraft order announced after we emerge from BK.

Whitehurst re-iterated his desire to purchase Jet Blew to get their terminal at JFK.

Where is Delta going to get all this cash from? They're still losing money are they not?

FutureFO

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:04 am

Hiring of FA's in the spring is all ready planned. The groundhandling in ATL as of 01Jun is all DL mainline no more ASA ramp and CS. So alot is all ready in place.
I Don't know where I am anymore

Silver764

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:07 am

ASA in ATL - we are replacing all over and under wing workers with Delta employees.

this is true and was in the AJC either Sat or Sun.

richierich

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:10 am

JFK - Realignment of mgt at JFK. Improved passenger flow through terminals. $500 million terminal upgrade. Increase in pay for ground workers. Hiring 400 new ground employees for summer. Whitehurst re-iterated his desire to purchase Jet Blew to get their terminal at JFK.

That's a hell of a rumor - and I highly doubt it. Delta stands less of a chance of buying out JetBlue than US did at acquiring Delta!

CVG - remain status quo. Most profitable hub in 2006. Some summer increase in flight hours.

As long as they don't get any LCC competition at CVG (which I admit they are unlikely to in the near future).

As for all of the other 'rumors', there was nothing groundbreaking in there so I suppose any of it is possible.
None shall pass!!!!

positiverate

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 4):
Delta stands less of a chance of buying out JetBlue than US did at acquiring Delta!

I completely agree. The same reasons that DL used for thwarting the US hostile takover (duplication in markets; reduction in competition; fleet compatability) would apply here. Plus, why would anyone want that old B6 terminal anyway?

Delta787

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 5):
Plus, why would anyone want that old B6 terminal anyway?

Delta wants Jetblues new terminal thats currently under construction, not the old one.

[Edited 2007-03-05 16:25:03]
Fly Delta!

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:22 am

I'm not sure if I believe that. What does that say about the other hubs, specifically, ATL?
E pur si muove -Galileo

luv2fly

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:27 am

Just my 2 cents the B6 rumor makes no sense what so ever. DL for the most part is all boeing, I know the mad dogs are NOW part of the boeing family. Some of the rest I can see and believe though.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Zone1

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:35 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 8):
Just my 2 cents the B6 rumor makes no sense what so ever.

It seems like this rumor keeps on popping up. Either Alitalia or WorldTraveler hinted at it a couple of months ago. One thing is for sure, they could get a good deal on B6 right now. The stock is really low. Would they rename it song?
/// U N I T E D

DAL767400ER

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:39 am

Ah, how boring would a.net be without rumors Big grin .

First, I want to explain a little about the Executive Jet agreement.

What EJ agreement?

One of the reasons we signed this contract is to tie up our gates in LAX and keep them from being taken back by the airport.

Figures

We have huge plans for international expansion out of LAX including 787s. There will be a multi-billion $$ aircraft order announced after we emerge from BK.

Both strong rumors that never seem to die down, even more so with Grinstein's and Whitehurst's continued desire to launch Oz.

JFK - Realignment of mgt at JFK. Improved passenger flow through terminals. $500 million terminal upgrade.

About damn time.

Whitehurst re-iterated his desire to purchase Jet Blew to get their terminal at JFK.

ROFLMAOYEAHRIGHTLOL. Southwest will buy A380s before DL buys JetBlue.

Boston-Logan - long-term plans for Boston include international expansion with the 757-200ERs. This is not going to happen in the short-term as JFK is the focus for now.

Probably not before MASSPORT finally lets DL have their own FIS in Terminal A.

Winglets - plan on installing them on all of the 737-800s that have kits already installed and the rest later, all of the 757-ERs we get this summer will have the winglets installed before we put them into service (we will be getting these aircraft earlier than planned). All 757-200 will get winglets except the oldest ones. American has promised a 767-300 to the company that makes the winglets so they can flight-test and certify them. Once certification is complete, we will be installing winglets on all of our 767-300s.

Figures. A large percentage of 738s and 752s already fly lots of transcons, not to mention international routes, and with the non-ER 763s going to Hawaii, they are another candidate obviously. The fuel saving potential should quite enormous.

Grinstein plans to retire in August.

Not so much a rumor, as he has always stated he'll retire once DL is safely out of CH11.

B777ER
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting Zone1 (Reply 9):
Would they rename it song?

Heck, if they did buy it, just leave it alone and keep things how they are. As long as DL gets the profits, who cares what the name is on the side of the plane. Keep it Jetblue as a seperate entity, let it feed your intl flights, get the new terminal 5 and take some of your mainline 738's and 752's that compete with B6 now and move them elsewhere to maximize profit potential.

EXAAUADL

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:40 am

Dont believe the CVG rumor in margin terms, maybe due to cut backs CVG lost the least amount of actually $$$$..Definitely dont believe the B6 rumor and DAL will lose a bucket load of money if they think they can fly extensively international from LAX.

B777ER
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 10):
Probably not before MASSPORT finally lets DL have their own FIS in Terminal A.

I imagine MASSPORT would be salivtating over more intl routes for BOS if DL does come to them with a route sked for trans-atlantics using their 752ER's. I Imagine their own FIS in Terminal A would be forthcoming posthaste.

Junction

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:45 am

I want to explain a little about the Executive Jet agreement.

He must mean Expressjet agreement?

desire to purchase Jet Blew

Jet Blew? Is he being sarcastic, or was this a typo?

flyorski

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:47 am

ROFLMAOYEAHRIGHTLOL. Southwest will buy A380s before DL buys JetBlue

I think this is more likely then we think........

I wonder what the plans are with the SLC hub, I would love a flight from Europe to fly to slc, possibly to Air France's hub in CDG?
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

B777ER
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting Junction (Reply 14):

Don't know, sorry.

Jet Blew? Is he being sarcastic, or was this a typo?

He was being sarcastic. Lot of legacy drivers don't like the B6 drivers for whatever reason.

DAL767400ER

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:08 am

Quoting B777ER (Reply 13):
I imagine MASSPORT would be salivtating over more intl routes for BOS if DL does come to them with a route sked for trans-atlantics using their 752ER's. I Imagine their own FIS in Terminal A would be forthcoming posthaste.

If they are smart, definitely. Say, one daily each to CDG, DUB/SNN, FRA, LGW and perhaps something original. Of course, all those markets are already served, but more service surely can't be bad for MASSPORT, not to mention that if DL were to really expand internationally from BOS, it probably wouldn't be limited to Europe flights, but perhaps a few Caribbean routes as well.

I want to explain a little about the Executive Jet agreement.

Would make more sense, but then again, the point that that agreement was signed to keep the gates in use is BS, because XJE or not, DL/ASA was already flying from LAX anyway, so it's not like XJE will be adding many more flights for DL at LAX.

richierich

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:09 am

ROFLMAOYEAHRIGHTLOL. Southwest will buy A380s before DL buys JetBlue.

Yeah, I agree. I can't imagine there is even a little truth to this rumor. If the argument is that DL wants JetBlue's new terminal, that doesn't make much sense either. It would take a fraction of the cost to build their own mega-terminal at T2 than to purchase their biggest JFK competition.

I know that "anything is possible" in business, especially this business, but this one does not appear to hold any water whatsoever.
None shall pass!!!!

Alitalia744

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:30 am

1) XJet could be seen as a way to build flights without committing to a long-term hub just yet given DL doesn't have the resources. Also, the ASA/SkyWest birds are needed elsewhere so in a sense it is a replacement.

2) LAX - yes there are plans being worked out. This has been out for some time and the destination list is looking better and better. It will be interesting to see if this works out given DL used to have LAX (after acquisition of Western) and let it go.

3) Fleet: there will be a fleet announcement post BK. The potential list looks good for now, altho one is questionable.

4) JFK: DL has allocated $6B in their POR for capital expendituresin the next five years. Suffice to say, most people assume some of it will go toward a JFK reconfig given it's drastically needed. Could go a few ways, but neither will involve taking over B6...their new terminal still isn't big enough for the ops plan at JFK unless DL seriously reconfigs their banks (which they are working through for this summer having 3/4 int'l departure banks).

5) CVG is profitable given the recent right size. Having the highest average fares in the country helps as well.

6) Winglets - the 73Gs are being delivered with them, they're working through the potential for 738s and 757s. Given DL flies 767s further than most airlines, it would be no shock to think that DL would get some sets for their 76Es if certified.

7) BOS - at some point.

[Edited 2007-03-05 17:35:24]
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

boeingbus

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:31 am

If Massport is salivating for more international service, like you say - as do have a tremendous presence currently, they would need to either expand Terminal E as its nearing its capacity. They can also look into the brand spanking new Terminal A. Air France and the Skyteam members would love to be there...

I think this more likely now than ever... Terminal E could b the OneWorld terminal, Fin air, AA, BA, IB, etc... and Terminal A are for the SkyTeam members... Star Alliance is limited at Logan for international service...
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

chrisnh

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:58 am

If I'm a restaurnteur at that 'new' terminal I would salivate, too, knowing that I'd be serving a lot more dinners to people waiting to board evening flights. More meals, more walking around (and buying)...the lack of both is what the tenants grumbled about down there. Bump up the evening traffic at that terminal and everyone would be happy. If I recall, the sticking point was Massport's insistence that ALL international travel be done through terminal E, correct? The reason I ask is because I thought I saw AA 777s loading at their own terminal...not E.

Chris in NH

bobnwa

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:04 am

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 21):
The reason I ask is because I thought I saw AA 777s loading at their own terminal...not E.

All International arrivals must be at Terminal E. Not so with International departures. They can leave from any terminal.

B6sFinest

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:16 am

LMAO.... Delta would have to actually be making money in order to even dream about talking to B6....They are still losing money like its going out of style. But we at Jetblue will be happy to give tours to any Delta employee that wants to see our new terminal, including Whitehearst....
Got Blue?

eraugrad02

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 am

Well now we know who's ordering winglet sets for their 767s. Now we must wait for who they have ordering them for 772 and md-80. My guess is AA is ordering them all. Will give more life to their super 80s.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

hiflyer

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:33 am

I have seen over the years that airlines in Chapt 11 routinely 'leak' via the pilot group pie in the sky it's gonna happen proposals. They know that is the fastest way to get it spread around the carrier and it takes the employee's minds off other areas that may not be going quite as well. So of course the 380 is in there...flying the biggest will pay the most. Of course buying JetBlue is in there...gonna take their terminal...get's the spirit up in NYC. Of course rebuilding LAX is in there to keep the ex WA folks feeling better. Winglets all around...ahh the fancy bauble to distract. Pretty much hit every internal group with those rumors...didn't they?

What's not there is what is really close to the hearts of DL employees when they stop ooohing and ahhhing. No complete exit finance. No approved exit plan yet. A continually pushed back date for exit. It's all coming...they are told.

warreng24

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:57 am

imagine winglets on a 763 and 787's

The 787 will have raked wingtips... they DO NOT need winglets!!!!

EXAAUADL

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:59 am

BOS-LGW will stink for DL just like it stunk for AA.

MAH4546

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:02 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 27):

And like it did for Delta. Delta flew BOS-LGW in 2001. Terrible performer.
a.

richierich

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:06 am

Quoting B6sFinest (Reply 23):
LMAO.... Delta would have to actually be making money in order to even dream about talking to B6....They are still losing money like its going out of style. But we at Jetblue will be happy to give tours to any Delta employee that wants to see our new terminal, including Whitehearst....

You know I like JetBlue, but this statement is a little over the top. First of all, yes DL is losing money (still) but they are well on the road to exiting BK. That's big. Now they can look at improving their product -and yes- consider purchases of other companies. All they need is the financial backing to do it, and for a company of DL's size, anything is possible.

However, DL has little or no interest in B6, trust me. I'm sure the new terminal at JFK is going to be great, but DL is not interested in that either, especially considering the terminal will not have international gates or immigration services. DL would be better off sinking its capital into a building a new terminal or revamping what it already has (or both), assuming that it wishes to make JFK a bigger hub. I suspect you will see JFK slowly become an even bigger base for Delta, probably with as many international options as ATL. JFK would be the major international hub, ATL the major domestic hub.
None shall pass!!!!

bobnwa

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:55 am

What were the dates of AA flying BOS-LGW?

eraugrad02

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting Warreng24 (Reply 26):

I must correct you. the 787-8/9 have ranked winglets. the -3 has normal winglets like 744.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

B767300ER

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:20 am

The situation at JFK is of prime concern. The Worldport Terminal simply stated is not able to handle 2000 era planes and traffic. It was good for PAA 707 and DC-8's but not the 767 777 757 and newer aircraft. When Terminal 4 was being built there were plans for a WEST WING finger for 20 gates to be used by DELTA. This would provide DELTA with a modern up-todate facility at JFK which it sorely needs. The WORLDPORT does not have the protection or status of the TWA terminal, so take it down it is a dis-service to the passengers and crew that use it.

LTU932

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:22 am

Quoting ERAUgrad02 (Reply 31):
I must correct you. the 787-8/9 have ranked winglets. the -3 has normal winglets like 744.

Actually the 787-3 will have blended winglets, similar to those on the 737 and 757.

STT757

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:35 am

Delta is really in a tough spot fleet wise, if they place an order for 787s after they exit bankruptcy the best they are going to able to get delivery slot wise is post 2012-2013. By this time their oldest 767-300ERs will be reaching 15 years of age, by 2020 a good portion of their 767-300ER fleet will be between 15-20 years of age.

I would surmise that DL would want to first address the progressive ageing of their large 767-300 fleet, before committing to large Trans-Pacific expansions from LAX with 787s.

Otherwise their growth into new markets with the 787 (if they order the aircraft soon) will be at the detriment of their Trans-Atlantic and Latin American operations which will soldier on with 20 year old 767s.

83 767-300s, that's a huge fleet to renew. I don't see how they can pursue aggressive expansion programs before addressing their fleet replacement needs.

Then there's the M-88s and 757s which are even older than the 767-300s, TWA made the mistake of soldiering on too long with their L-1011 and 747-100, 747-200s on their International routes. I hope DL does not make the same mistake by ignoring their fleet age of their 767-300ERs to pursue rapid Asia expansion with 787s.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

surfdog75

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 34):
Delta is really in a tough spot fleet wise, if they place an order for 787s after they exit bankruptcy the best they are going to able to get delivery slot wise is post 2012-2013. By this time their oldest 767-300ERs will be reaching 15 years of age, by 2020 a good portion of their 767-300ER fleet will be between 15-20 years of age.

I wouldn't discount the possibilty of Boeing getting one of their best customers 787s much earlier than 2012.

jbmitt

Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:54 am

I found the following info off a pilot forum (a caveat, this was retrieved off a public forum, not a private one). This was posted by a DL pilot who had himself just gotten the information. I imagine the info circulated amongst DALPA members from on high. Take it for what its worth. The only thing I think will never happen is the B6 rumor included in it. I hope the rest come true....imagine winglets on a 763 and 787's! So with that said here goes the latest DL rumors (copy and pasted the following):

If you are going to copy it verbatim, atleast link to it http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/showthread.php?t=10305 If you spent any time at all, you would notice that the post was made by a retired 767 driver. Possibly from Delta, possibly not. For the time being it is all speculation.

rampart

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting B767300ER (Reply 32):
The Worldport Terminal simply stated is not able to handle 2000 era planes and traffic. It was good for PAA 707 and DC-8's but not the 767 777 757 and newer aircraft.

The Worldport expansion in the 70's was built for 747s, so should handle 777s and like sized aircraft. It's a little spaced out for medium sized jets like the 767 and 757. Last time I flew in and out was about 6 years ago, so I can't vouch for any deficienies since then. The terminal used a revolutionary "drive to gate" concept, even more amazing considering it was renovated to an old terminal rather than built as a new one (like DFW or MCI). However, that concept isn't viable with today's security and hubbing needs. Architecturally speaking (function, not beauty), I'd be sad to see it go. But evolution marches on.

-Rampart

B777ER
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:17 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 19):
LAX - yes there are plans being worked out. This has been out for some time and the destination list is looking better and better. It will be interesting to see if this works out given DL used to have LAX (after acquisition of Western) and let it go.

I imagine HKG and possibly SYD on that list.

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 19):
3) Fleet: there will be a fleet announcement post BK. The potential list looks good for now, altho one is questionable.

I wonder which one is questionable...773???

Quoting BoeingBus (Reply 20):
If Massport is salivating for more international service, like you say - as do have a tremendous presence currently, they would need to either expand Terminal E as its nearing its capacity. They can also look into the brand spanking new Terminal A. Air France and the Skyteam members would love to be there...

I think this more likely now than ever... Terminal E could b the OneWorld terminal, Fin air, AA, BA, IB, etc... and Terminal A are for the SkyTeam members... Star Alliance is limited at Logan for international service...

I would think DL would want to operate everything out of their new terminal A.

Quoting Warreng24 (Reply 26):

I meant it as seeing 763's with winlets. Also seeing 787's in DL colors. Two seperate statements.

Quoting B767300ER (Reply 32):
When Terminal 4 was being built there were plans for a WEST WING finger for 20 gates to be used by DELTA. This would provide DELTA with a modern up-todate facility at JFK which it sorely needs. The WORLDPORT does not have the protection or status of the TWA terminal, so take it down it is a dis-service to the passengers and crew that use it.

I can just imagine the mess of trying to build that wing now while tearing down T3 all the while DL flying a full sked into Kennedy....what a bloody mess.

Delta is really in a tough spot fleet wise, if they place an order for 787s after they exit bankruptcy the best they are going to able to get delivery slot wise is post 2012-2013. By this time their oldest 767-300ERs will be reaching 15 years of age, by 2020 a good portion of their 767-300ER fleet will be between 15-20 years of age

I have wondered that myself. Eveytime a company orders the 787, the available delievery slots get moved further and further back unless they plan on leasing.

Quoting Jbmitt (Reply 36):
If you are going to copy it verbatim, atleast link to it http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/showthread.php?t=10305 If you spent any time at all, you would notice that the post was made by a retired 767 driver. Possibly from Delta, possibly not. For the time being it is all speculation.

Or how about I post what I want and if you don't like it, do us all a favor and leave. And so what if it is from a retired 767 pilot...you think cause they retire they automatically lose intrest?

deltairlines

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:22 am

A few thoughts of mine:

No surprise on CVG. Right-sizing did pretty well for the hub; I think we're at a period now where we'll see little change. Having the highest fares for O&D in the country helps out the margins quite a bit. Wouldn't be shocked if this is indeed the most profitable hub per capita in the DL system.

No surprise on JFK getting the nod over BOS in the short-term. I expect BOS growth the next 5 years to be limited to adding an RJ here and there (wouldn't be shocked if SDF came online; other markets like that too). Not much mainline additions; seems pretty well right-sized right now in terms of mainline. When international comes online, I'd expect it to be DUB/SNN, LHR (they won't do LGW, as they'll get slaughtered by AA/BA/VS, but there's enough Medallions in BOS, plus with the new BusinessElite improvements that will rival BA/VS and be superior to AA's new C seat) that they should be able to do fine on a 767-300 ER to LHR), maybe another European market or two such as FCO. That would be about it though.

As for JFK, I wouldn't be shocked if JFK is their next big capital improvement. Place is a dump to say the least. $500m would be enough for a new terminal there. Heck, if they really wanted to, they could conceivably do a midfield terminal (a la AA) with RJs and maybe M80s/737s on the main terminal. Still, the whole DL JFK operation will be a mess during this time of construction.

No surprise on LAX - XJet will be able to fill those gates up for the meantime so LAWA can't kick DL out of Terminal 5 (I still wouldn't be shocked if DL left T6). Not to mention those ERJs will be a lot nicer than ASA CRJs for the SEA-LAX flight - I would've taken AS on LAX-SEA with ASA on the route; with XJet on the route, I'd take DL, since the ERJs are eons better than CRJs.

papatango

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:22 am

Did anyone notice the US and China are talking about increasing air service between the two countries. Maybe Delta to China will become a reality before Mar/Apr 2008.

flavio340

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:47 am

One note on Jetblue wasn't that company from the start designed to be bought out or merged? If the price is right I think that company can be bought. Yes, for any price the company can be bought, but I think that Jetblue is especially so.

jbmitt

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:48 am

Quoting B777ER (Reply 38):
Quoting Jbmitt (Reply 36):

Or how about I post what I want and if you don't like it, do us all a favor and leave. And so what if it is from a retired 767 pilot...you think cause they retire they automatically lose intrest?

Grow up. I was trying to help you by citing your source. In academia, citations often increase your legitimacy and credibility. While, I realize that Airliners.net is far from that, I'm supporting what you contributed. I want to watch Delta do great things, especially out of LAX. I think that it is important to credit the person that initially posted the information. Being retired means nothing, you are right, however, its a stretch from what you wrote.

I for one hope that the 787s ordered by leasing companies are part of some post-BK deal and that many of the new 738's to be sold off are leased back. I've done my part to support Delta by flying them exclusively.

767-332ER

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:49 am

By this time their oldest 767-300ERs will be reaching 15 years of age, by 2020 a good portion of their 767-300ER fleet will be between 15-20 years of age.

Their oldest 767-300ERs are now (2007) 17 yrs old, so by 2012-2013 will be well over 23 yrs old.
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

SLCUT2777

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 39):
As for JFK, I wouldn't be shocked if JFK is their next big capital improvement. Place is a dump to say the least. $500m would be enough for a new terminal there. Heck, if they really wanted to, they could conceivably do a midfield terminal (a la AA) with RJs and maybe M80s/737s on the main terminal. Still, the whole DL JFK operation will be a mess during this time of construction.

SLC has similar issues. It is an ancient relic facility wise and in dire need of a complete make-over. Look for SLC to be a capitol improvement target, although I don't think they will have DL build their own terminal here as will be the case with JFK.  twocents 
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

B777ER
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting Jbmitt (Reply 42):
I was trying to help you by citing your source. In academia, citations often increase your legitimacy and credibility. While, I realize that Airliners.net is far from that, I'm supporting what you contributed. I want to watch Delta do great things, especially out of LAX. I think that it is important to credit the person that initially posted the information. Being retired means nothing, you are right, however, its a stretch from what you wrote.

I for one hope that the 787s ordered by leasing companies are part of some post-BK deal and that many of the new 738's to be sold off are leased back. I've done my part to support Delta by flying them exclusively.

Thats the problem with the internet, one sees just the words and not the inflection so therefore I took it wrong..my apologies.

Quoting 767-332ER (Reply 43):
Their oldest 767-300ERs are now (2007) 17 yrs old, so by 2012-2013 will be well over 23 yrs old.

Seems that 23 years old is nothing ala, NW DC9's and AA keeping the Maddog until the second coming of Christ.

MAH4546

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:56 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 30):

What were the dates of AA flying BOS-LGW?

BOS-LGW operated summer of 1998. Instead of adding another frequenty to MIA-LHR and BOS-LHR, AA decided to split the service between Gatwick and Heathrow on the route. It was not successful.
a.

deltairlines

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 44):
SLC has similar issues. It is an ancient relic facility wise and in dire need of a complete make-over. Look for SLC to be a capitol improvement target, although I don't think they will have DL build their own terminal here as will be the case with JFK.

While SLC is the DL hub I travel through the least (only 1-2 times a year since I'm mostly on the east coast and there are more than enough ATL flights to the West Coast to keep me from double-connecting), SLC doesn't seem like a dump to me - the SkyWest concourse seems nice in the one trip I've been there, and the rest of the airport is no worse than ATL - Concourse B actually seemed decent to me.

All in all, I'd rate DL's hubs as (best to worst): CVG, SLC, ATL, (hell), JFK.
Throw in focus cities of LGA, LAX, BOS, MCO, and I'd say it goes BOS, MCO, LAX, CVG, SLC, ATL, LGA, JFK.

highflyer9790

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:06 am

great! ahem, they leased out gates at their own Terminal A which cost them $500M....so their BOS presence must be going to increase as well, considering international flights operate out of Terminal E...

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:18 am

Quoting B6sFinest (Reply 23):
LMAO.... Delta would have to actually be making money in order to even dream about talking to B6....They are still losing money like its going out of style.

I wouldn't call the current rate as going out of style but they do have a little work to do yet. On the other hand, I would not be calling B6's past few quarters stellar and this quarter may be a whopper as a result of their screw up with the weather issue.