ultrapig

Where Is The Gate Agent?

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:13 am

This is a small thing but it is annoying-I'd like to know from anet gate agents where I am off base.

This afternoon my plane arrived at STL from SFO-just perhaps ten minutes early. There was a gate and we were directed in without delay but then had to wait five minutes fro a gate agent to let us out of jail. Don't flame me-I jsut want to know-Is a big station and minihub like STL so short of ground personnel that there is no gate agent available to meet a plane that is there just a few minutes early? Or is something sleeping on the job?-And please don't tell me I should be thankful that the plane was early-I don't complaint if it is late because I know things can and do happen-and finally does the crew get paid on the clock until the door is open? If so this sounds real dumb.

goaliemn

RE: Where Is The Gate Agent?

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:13 am

The agent could've been at another gate, closing up another flight. They don't have enough staff at each hub to man every gate all the time.

m404

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:17 am

If the airlines could figure out a way to get an Eticket kiosk to meet the flight and eliminate an agent they certainly would. They would always be on time but.........
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

warreng24

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:03 am

Quoting Ultrapig (Thread starter):
There was a gate and we were directed in without delay but then had to wait five minutes fro a gate agent to let us out of jail.

You've never flown US into PHL have you?  Wink

IPFreely

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:10 am

Or UA Express into ORD?

ultrapig

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:24 am

Ok so this is common-but why-its not like no one knows a plane is gopnna be early why deosn't someone say "Hey Charlie-you check in the people on flight 101 by yourslef for a few minutes while Jane and let's the people off the plane"

Bicoastal

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:53 am

Ultra...you assume everyone came to work that day....no sick calls.....that more than one person is working a gate...no irregular ops/delays with irate passengers demanding attention....an agent finally had a chance to take a pee break/wolf down something to eat, when the plane arrived early...etc., etc. So many variables go in to making an airline work each and every day. It's a rare day when everything falls in to place neatly. Love to have you shadow one of my favorite CSR friends someday and see how you handle it each and every day.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

jetdeltamsy

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:38 pm

Gate agents frequently get side tracked doing other duties when an inbound arrives.

Nobody calls the gate to say "you have a plane out there". You have to constantly monitor the computer to see where the plane is at any given moment.

Agents are supposed to be there as the aircraft pull up, but frequenty get bogged down with customer service issues.

It's aggrevating and "we hear you".

Unfortunately it's not a perfect world.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

lincoln

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 6):
Love to have you shadow one of my favorite CSR friends someday and see how you handle it each and every day.

Hey, if you know of anyone in CLE... I would love to shadow an agent for a day! Big grin

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

SkyexRamper

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:14 am

I was stuck on a Frontier flight at the gate in Denver because we got their on time and had a gate change at the last minute so it took 20mins for a 2 gate agents to come down.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

BigJimFX

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 6):
It's a rare day when everything falls in to place neatly. Love to have you shadow one of my favorite CSR friends someday and see how you handle it each and every day.

I agree... If everything fell into place where I work I would SO be worried about being struck by lightning on the way home!

There are literally hundreds of factors that are always going against gate agents every day. I would suspect that that maybe a flight had a good chance of going out late and thats where the focus would be at. Plus I believe that flight times are logged block to block. Meaning from pushback to engine shut down. Just a guess, but helping a flight be not as late is probably more important to an airline than a flight coming in early and blocking on time.
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...