WA707atMSP
Topic Author

DL Giving Up 9 Gates At BOS

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:35 am

Today's Boston Globe reports that Delta is giving up 9 of its 25 gates at Boston. Six of the gates being released can accomodate mainline jets, 3 can accomodate RJs. It hasn't been decided yet which airlines will take over the nine gates from DL.

A link to the article is here:

http://www.boston.com/business/globe...t_lets_logan_reassign_delta_gates/
Seaholm Maples are #1!

panam330

RE: DL Giving Up 9 Gates At BOS

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:39 am

I hate to say it, but it's about time. Just too bad that DL couldn't expand and make use of these gates. Any idea who'll get them next?

tu154

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:58 am

I am going to guess AirTran if the price is right.

They are scattered all over term. c and two different security areas.
FIRST ON THE ATLANTIC.....FIRST ON THE PACIFIC.....FIRST IN LATIN AMERICA...FIRST 'ROUND THE WORLD.....PAN AM!!

jkudall

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:27 am

Quoting Tu154 (Reply 2):

DL is no longer in terminal C at BOS. DL is now in the new A terminal.

PHLBOS

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:33 am

Quoting Jkudall (Reply 3):
Quoting Tu154 (Reply 2):

I believe that Tu154 was referrring to FL with regards to Terminal C.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

B6WNQX

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting Jkudall (Reply 3):

I believe TU154 was referring to FL being in term C and scattered not DL. FL has said that they are concerned that the rent for space in Term A will be too high for it's low cost business model though.

jkudall

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 4):
I believe that Tu154 was referrring to FL with regards to Terminal C.

Ahh, that makes sense. My bad.  

Anyways, back to the topic. Perhaps another Skyteam member might be interested? Thoughts?

[Edited 2007-03-06 20:47:41]

Evan767

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:48 am

Surely it will be a skyteam member. Maybe NW AND CO?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

COERJ145

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:53 am

It would be smart for Airtran to take some of the Mainline gates as it would allow for NW to shift down a few gates in E(to the Airtran gates(connected to the NW area)) and allow more gate space for international carriers. I heard E during the 5-7PM hour is just about maxed out in terms of gate space.

PHLBOS

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 8):
It would be smart for Airtran to take some of the Mainline gates as it would allow for NW to shift down a few gates in E(to the Airtran gates(connected to the NW area)) and allow more gate space for international carriers. I heard E during the 5-7PM hour is just about maxed out in terms of gate space.

Once upon a time, those 3 gates (1C, 1D & 1E) were NW gates E1C, E1D & E1E.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

RandyWaldron

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:12 am

It would be smart for Airtran to take some of the Mainline gates

Smart? Why do you think that move would be smart?

AirTran seems to operate just fine in the alleyway/Terminal D. Furthermore, I suspect that Delta would not enjoy having their direct and most fierce competetor operating out of their much-celebrated terminal in Boston.

it would allow for NW to shift down a few gates in E

That makes some sense. However, due to NWA's simultaneous 757 operations in and out of BOS, it would prove to be a logistical nightmare. Although NWA has used those gates, I suspect that the more logical conclusion is that NWA will move all of their operations, with the exception of the Amsterdam (NW37) arrival, to terminal A.

I heard E during the 5-7PM hour is just about maxed out in terms of gate space.

You got something right! If you consider the increase in international flying out of BOS this summer, FlyGlobespan to Scotland, Iberia to Spain and the typical increases of the long-established carriers during the summer, NWA's limited domestic operations seem more suited at Terminal A.

Everything in aviation has to do with money, and everything at Massport has to do with who is greasing who's palm and scratching who's back......this development will be interesting.
"Flaps 20, gear down, landing checklist please..."

tu154

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:24 am

Quoting RandyWaldron (Reply 10):

AirTran seems to operate just fine in the alleyway/Terminal D. Furthermore, I suspect that Delta would not enjoy having their direct and most fierce competetor operating out of their much-celebrated terminal in Boston.

OOOH never thought of that. What about CO? Operating in those out of the way gates in C. It would free up a gate
for B6 (where CO express operates.?) Hasnt NW said in the past they are going to remain in E?
FIRST ON THE ATLANTIC.....FIRST ON THE PACIFIC.....FIRST IN LATIN AMERICA...FIRST 'ROUND THE WORLD.....PAN AM!!

COERJ145

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:36 am

According to some A.Netters, the check-in area is too small for the operation they have there. Also the lone security checkpoint can be congested at times. If Airtran were to move to A, massport should just close the checkpoint and covert the area(ticket counter and all) to baggage areas.

COERJ145

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting Tu154 (Reply 11):
Hasnt NW said in the past they are going to remain in E?

Thats seems to be the general attitude at NW. They don't want the cost/inconvience to move a plane from E to A.

ConcordeBoy

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:40 am

and allow more gate space for international carriers

Why would NW care about that?

NWA's limited domestic operations seem more suited at Terminal A.

NW is expanding its int'l ops out of BOS later in the year; which would facilitate greater ease in transit for their own pax to remain in E.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

N1120A

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 7):
Surely it will be a skyteam member. Maybe NW AND CO?

NW is unlikely, as they have a perfect location for their operation, especially with the second AMS flight coming online. CO, however, is much more likely as Massport and jetBlue desperately want to have that side of C be jetBlue's operation, to the point that CapeAir was getting kicked out until they signed the new codeshare with B6. Midwest's limited operation could also move over to A at that point.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

WMUPilot

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting Tu154 (Reply 2):
I am going to guess AirTran if the price is right.

They are scattered all over term. c and two different security areas

AirTran is not spread all over the C Terminal. Their check in is on the lower level with the Baggage claim area and they seem to like it down there as they are the only ones down there. They are in their own world over there and it suites them perfectly. All of their gates are served from ONE security check point. I don't see AirTran moving.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

apodino

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:54 am

The funny thing about this whole deal is that the terminal was conceived before either CO or NW joined Skyteam. The terminal was originally planned as a Skyteam terminal. And I believe there are now 6 or 7 skyteam airlines serving the terminal. The issue is that Massport will not allow customs outside of terminal E, and I think this is causing a lot of the problems in E, because AA also uses the facility for international arrivals. They were supposed to build an FIS facility in terminal B, that they would share with US, but 9-11 came, then Massport said no. If the FIS facility was in A, I think NW would be over there.

This issue is the exact problem I have with airline control of gates and airlines paying for terminals, because you create situations just like this. What happens to Terminal 5 in JFK if B6 falls apart?

Anyways CO moving back to A should be a no brainer. No airline has moved more than them over the years, but they were in A, and were relocated to build the new terminal. Plus them in skyteam, and it makes sense. NW is a different story. A move by them would certainly help the congestion, but I don't know that they would want to move out of the customs terminal and have to tow planes to repo them for the Amsterdam flights. One thing that I could see is that in the A terminal, there are two crown room clubs, and they could be also used as Worldclub or Presidents club rooms as well, much like the shared Worldclub/Presidents club facility that they share in ORD.

Here is what I could see happening.

CO and NW move to A, turning it into the skyteam terminal. B6 takes all the remaining gate space on the 25-36, save for the cape air gates. UA just gained more gate space on the other concourse with the Air Canada departure. YX remains in C, and uses the 40's gates now that they have both MKE and MCI service. FL keeps their existing gates, but the check in counter is moved to E, which would also give them the domestic gates vacated by NW. Their existing gates in the former D are linked with E post security anyways.

The only questions I would have is, this would leave some open counter space in C (With Air Canada having moved, and CO moving.). How is it used? Also, gates B37 and B38 and some counter space remain in B. Can massport use this to attract a new carrier? Or would an airline like Alaska move away from US, and use this space for themselves?

COERJ145

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting Wmupilot (Reply 16):
All of their gates are served from ONE security check point. I don't see AirTran moving.

They also use C11 on the UA concourse

Quoting Apodino (Reply 17):
How is it used? Also, gates B37 and B38 and some counter space remain in B. Can massport use this to attract a new carrier?

YX could also move there, with 2 more MCI flights coming online this may(total of 3) and the 5 daily MKE flights, that brings it to 8 daily flights. Pretty tight fit for one gate, but perfect for two.

ScottB

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 15):
CO, however, is much more likely as Massport and jetBlue desperately want to have that side of C be jetBlue's operation, to the point that CapeAir was getting kicked out until they signed the new codeshare with B6. Midwest's limited operation could also move over to A at that point.

I don't really see CO moving unless they are forced to do so (or given sufficient incentives); it probably depends on the terms of their lease with Massport. They'd probably sooner take one or two of the gates vacated by AC in the United pier of Terminal C. Midwest could just as easily operate from the former HP gates in Terminal B. And with Mitt Romney no longer the governor, I don't think there will be as much behind-the-scenes pressure for Massport to work with jetBlue.

The problem for AirTran, as mentioned in the Globe article, is that the costs are higher at Terminal A. While they would gain some room for expansion, the drawback is that it's a fairly limited amount of room for expansion. Delta is only giving up six mainline jet gates -- and AirTran already has four where they are.

As others have said, I just don't see any of the current carriers at BOS moving in with Delta -- unless they are forced somehow to do so.

Dalmd88

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:05 am

This is really old news. We gave up the gates and office space months ago. We were told not to expect any new neighbors in the near term. Massport has already shopped the space to current BOS airlines and non are interested in moving. The problem is the cost. The lease rates for A are too high. The real catch for Massport is they can't lower the rate for just some of the gates. As a side note DL will still be able to use the unleased gates to park overnight aircraft.

VS11

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:27 am

NW will not move out of Terminal E mostly because they own half of it, and I believe this has been the case for decades including the old E, and this was the reason for NW not to move out when the new E opened in 2003. I could be wrong but I think that what ended up being the old Terminal E had been NW's terminal (from probably the times when NW started flying first to Boston) and when they officially launched Terminal E, NW kept half of it as they were the original owners. Can Massport make an offer to NW to incetivize them to move out of E,which NW cannot refuse? Probably but who knows?

As to which airline can move in - probably new entrants. I know that when Frontier pulled out of Boston it was because UA charged them a lot of money but this would be really be only one flight. Alaska may also want to move out of the US area but still that is not much.

So it has to be AirTran, CO or B6 - care to make it interesting?  Smile

ScottB

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:03 am

Quoting VS11 (Reply 21):
I could be wrong but I think that what ended up being the old Terminal E had been NW's terminal (from probably the times when NW started flying first to Boston) and when they officially launched Terminal E, NW kept half of it as they were the original owners.

The "old" Terminal E is the same as the "new" Terminal E -- they just added some space where the access road used to be and moved the check-in counters upstairs. The gate areas are pretty much the same as they were before. There's no good reason from NWA's perspective to move to Terminal A -- the potential connections to Delta are far more limited than the connections to their own AMS service and the KL/AF/AZ departures from Terminal E.

My dark horse candidate for who might take the now-unleased gates in Terminal A would be Southwest.

VS11

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:10 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 22):
The "old" Terminal E is the same as the "new" Terminal E -- they just added some space where the access road used to be and moved the check-in counters upstairs.

I am very well aware of that - I used to work at Terminal E at the time of the renovation. I used the old and the new distinction to refer to the renovation "event", which doubled the size of the structure without adding new gates as you point out.

DAYflyer

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:12 am

I bet Joe Leonard has already negotiated and signed the lease with the BOS port authority. From the moment DL vacated those gates he was  drool  all over himself at the thought of space in BOS.
One Nation Under God

FA4B6

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:25 am

Quoting VS11 (Reply 21):
So it has to be AirTran, CO or B6 - care to make it interesting?

I doubt it would be B6. My bet would be FL or CO.

My dark horse candidate for who might take the now-unleased gates in Terminal A would be Southwest.

Hmmm, now THAT would be interesting. If that were to materialize, would the gentlemen's agreement between B6 and WN remain in tact or would we see routes like BOS-MDW, BOS-BWI, BOS-JAX, BOS-MSY, BOS-LAS, BOS-STL?
"Leap! And the net will appear."

highflyer9790

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:38 am

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 25):

Hmmm, now THAT would be interesting. If that were to materialize, would the gentlemen's agreement between B6 and WN remain in tact or would we see routes like BOS-MDW, BOS-BWI, BOS-JAX, BOS-MSY, BOS-LAS, BOS-STL?

that would certainly be surprising! i doubt it though as WN serves PVD and MHT so i think BOS is unlikely..

N1120A

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:38 am

Quoting Wmupilot (Reply 16):
All of their gates are served from ONE security check point.

Not all

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 18):
They also use C11 on the UA concourse

Which I believe they sublease from United

Quoting ScottB (Reply 19):
They'd probably sooner take one or two of the gates vacated by AC in the United pier of Terminal C.

Those gates are leased by United, which is why AC has been there while United was their handling airline at BOS.

Quoting VS11 (Reply 21):
So it has to be AirTran, CO or B6

It will definately not be B6.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Mikey711MN

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:06 am

Quoting HighFlyer9790 (Reply 26):
i doubt it though as WN serves PVD and MHT so i think BOS is unlikely..

Similar logic could certainly be applied to WN avoiding SFO (since they already flank the Bay Area with OAK and SJC), but alas, they've chosen to re-enter that airport. I wouldn't put any revenue enhancing opportunity past Southwest at this point.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

WMUPilot

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:18 am

It is my understanding that CO and YX are being forced out of our side of the C Terminal. I'm not sure if that is still the case of a time frame but part of our original lease agreement was for us to totally occupy our wing of the C Terminal and everybody else was being forced out, that being Cape Air (1 gate), Midwest (1 gate), and Continental (2 gates). Cape Air will now be staying due to the new codeshare agreement we just signed.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

umichcub

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:02 am

i bet...

CO moves over to join DL and everything else stays, minus the UA expansion by one former AC gate, and jetblue expands to match ther overcapacity at the current gates (especially considering their continued expansion). Does anyone see the xjet substitution for the reason of of overcrowding and overexpansion by B6 at the gates?

Also, being the Northwest junkie that I am now (I know they offer nothing different than the other lame legacies), I would love to see continued international expansion by NW (though I know it's not likely). Maybe they need to delve in some more 757's routes? silly idea but u never know.

-A

avconsultant

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:09 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 27):
Quoting VS11 (Reply 21):
So it has to be AirTran, CO or B6

It will definately not be B6.

I say it will be FL. FL is predictable with they have the opportunity to  stirthepot  . They were vocal in the wanting to those gates when DL was looking for relief. The question will be what will be the affect on FL yield in BOS. Those are the nicest gates in BOS.

Evan767

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:21 am

WHY would Delta sell these gates to their ultimate competitior Airtran??? Terminal A is a very nice facility and they aren't letting their arch nemesis have it.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

N801NW

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 32):
WHY would Delta sell these gates to their ultimate competitior Airtran???

It is no longer Delta's decision to make. The gates have reverted to Massport control. DL is now off the hook for $10 million a year in rent and maintenance fess if Massport can't lease those gates.

ScottB

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:42 am

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 24):
I bet Joe Leonard has already negotiated and signed the lease with the BOS port authority.

Except AirTran has publicly stated that renting space in Terminal A would be too costly.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 27):
Those gates are leased by United, which is why AC has been there while United was their handling airline at BOS.

True, but with United at around 35 daily departures from BOS, they probably no longer need ten gates. And I don't see how CO would be able to manage 29 CO/COEx/CoConn departures from three gates, or how they would have agreed to vacate the old Terminal A without some sort of guarantee of long-term gate availability.

Quoting HighFlyer9790 (Reply 26):
i doubt it though as WN serves PVD and MHT so i think BOS is unlikely

As others have pointed out, they serve multiple airports in several metropolitan areas. With specific reference to PVD and MHT, these two airports had long been underserved and overpriced, with many of the passengers in their catchment areas opting to drive (or take buses) to BOS or BDL. From pretty much any place outside of 495, either PVD or MHT will be closer (especially when you consider Boston traffic).

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 25):
If that were to materialize, would the gentlemen's agreement between B6 and WN remain in tact or would we see routes like BOS-MDW, BOS-BWI, BOS-JAX, BOS-MSY, BOS-LAS, BOS-STL?

I don't think any sort of "gentleman's agreement" kept B6 off short-haul routes out of LGB.

In any event, you'd expect, if Southwest entered BOS, routes like BOS-BWI, BOS-PHL, BOS-MDW, BOS-LAS, and BOS-PHX. BOS-MCO, BOS-TPA, BOS-RSW, BOS-PBI, and BOS-FLL wouldn't be surprising, either, but those are already pretty competitive.

highflyer9790

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:49 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 32):
WHY would Delta sell these gates to their ultimate competitior Airtran??? Terminal A is a very nice facility and they aren't letting their arch nemesis have it.

these are now massport controlled and  dollarsign  rules anyway. DL has no say in what airline goes in those gates.

adizzy

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:04 am

I would be awesome if B6 could take them over. I would love Delta to have to give up the entire satalite portion of terminal A and turn that into its own Blue City. With that said...it will never happen!

AviationAddict

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:14 am

I don't really see CO moving. Right now they're right next to their primary regional feeder airline in Cape Air and manage to get a little free help from Cape Air employees with luggage and loading and unloading their regional planes. Plus, now that B6 and Cape Air have a codeshare program Continental and B6 will undoubtedly become a little bit closer (at least in BOS) because both are partners with Cape Air. These might be lame reasons to not move but in an airport as scattered as BOS I think airlines will take any little edge they can get, and moving in with Delta will probably only squeeze and airline more than help them, even if they do get to reside in the wonderful terminal A.

SWAFA27

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:20 am

I'd like to see WN snatch up these gates, great new city to open up!!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co

AviationAddict

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting SWAFA27 (Reply 38):

I wouldn't count on it. The rent is way too high, especially when WN already flies into PVD and Manchester.

SWAFA27

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:25 am

Quoting AviationAddict (Reply 39):

I wouldn't count on it. The rent is way too high, especially when WN already flies into PVD and Manchester.

T'would be a nice thought though!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co

AviationAddict

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:28 am

Quoting SWAFA27 (Reply 40):

I have to agree, it'd be wonderful for WN, Logan and for the city/region! Add a little flair to a somewhat boring airport! But, unfortunately, I don't see it happening.

A little off topic, but you might be able to answer my question SWAFA27, what's the deal with WN at Dulles? Back when I was living in DC I heard rumors that Southwest was going to start service there, is that true and if so when is it going to start?

SWAFA27

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:32 am

Quoting AviationAddict (Reply 41):
A little off topic, but you might be able to answer my question SWAFA27, what's the deal with WN at Dulles? Back when I was living in DC I heard rumors that Southwest was going to start service there, is that true and if so when is it going to start?

Yeah bud, we started service there awhile ago, dont know the exact date, but yeah we've been there for a couple months.

adizzy

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:33 am

Quoting AviationAddict (Reply 41):
boring airport

Logan is not boring! It is an awesome airport!

VS11

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:39 am

Quoting Umichcub (Reply 30):
Also, being the Northwest junkie that I am now (I know they offer nothing different than the other lame legacies), I would love to see continued international expansion by NW (though I know it's not likely). Maybe they need to delve in some more 757's routes? silly idea but u never know.

Not a silly idea at all. If anything, of all American carriers, it makes sense for NW to launch services to Europe from BOS because they operate at the international terminal, no need to shuffle an aircraft from E to another terminal after landing. Also, B757 would be perfect to fly between BOS-LGW during the summer (particularly since DL and US no longer fly to Londong from Boston) or to Paris. However, they may have some restrictions in terms of their agreement with KLM-AF for routes to Europe.

AviationAddict

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:41 am

Quoting ADiZzy (Reply 43):

Well, I just started working there this week at Cape Air, and you're very right, it's not boring. I guess what I meant was more in terms of compared with some of the other big international airports.

Quoting SWAFA27 (Reply 42):

Good to know, guess I haven't been paying attention lately!!! Thanks!

airbazar

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:46 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 19):
As others have said, I just don't see any of the current carriers at BOS moving in with Delta -- unless they are forced somehow to do so.

I wouldn't be so sure. I think we'll see either CO and/or FL at terminal A sooner or later. It all boils down to money. Yes, leases are too high for FL but like everything else, they are negotiable, and if the price is right, FL will jump at it. FL is also out of are room for expansion in their section of terminal C (previously D), and if they want to expand at BOS, they'll have to go somewhere else. CO also makes sense because of their partenship with DL and, well, A is so much better than C.

I think FL and Massport will reach an agreement that works for both of them. FL wants to expand and Massport wants to lease the gates, and they probably want to do something with the old terminal D too which could bring them a lot more money if they build a propper terminal in its place.

worldtraveler

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:56 pm

this is a typical thread from a bunch of a.netters wanting to see change, regardless of whether it is realistic or not.

DL won by being able to reduce its lease costs but no one is terribly interested in moving to a much more expensive facility. it may take years for terminal A to be filled back to capacity. the risk was that DL could have pulled back even more so BOS settled for a DL-lopsided renegotiation but it doesn't mean that there are airlines standing in line waiting to take those gates.

VS11

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:59 pm

CO indeed looks more like a natural choice to me. They are bigger and I would assume have the clout to negotiate with Massport. Also, in view of the CO international expansion with B757, I was wondering if they might decide to deploy the same strategy in Boston -- I read (I believe here) that CO is running out of B757s so it may not work out but I think B757 could be very successful for BOS-to-Europe flights.

easyfriday2000

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:41 pm

I was actually told from a pretty reliable source it will be co. But who knows till movin day