MCO2BRS
Topic Author

FireArms Found In Luggage On DL MCO-SJU Flight

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:27 pm

I just came across this story which I find incredibly disturbing...

http://www.local6.com/news/11187701/detail.html

Apparently a passenger transported a large number of fire arms, and drugs in his luggage and this was not detected until the flight arrived in SJU from MCO. The report does not state whether the items were in carry-on (which IMO is highly unlikely) or in his checked luggage. Surely, regardless of where these items were on the aircraft, they simply should not be on it at all, and that the TSA should have picked up on them? I know at MCO checked bags are placed through scanners immediately after check-in, so how was it that they didn't manage to get this guy before he boarded the flight? Does any one have any thoughts or further information on this event? The article states that it was a DL flight MCO-SJU, but no further information is given.

Thanks,

MCO2BRS

cactushp

RE: FireArms Found In Luggage On DL MCO-SJU Flight

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:33 pm

Probably because he worked there, he somehow got the bag onboard the aircraft.
Sorry, I was on the landline

MCO2BRS
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:49 pm

I see that the article has been updated within the last few minutes to add that information, however my initial questions remain, how did he manage to get this onto the plane to begin with? Obviously there has been a massive lapse in security here! Do ground crew under go similar security checks as passengers before beginning their shifts and coming into contact with the aircraft?

OPNLguy

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:53 pm

Great, just great. A non-rev smuggling guns and drugs....

Thanks a bunch pal....  Yeah sure
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

EMBQA

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Quoting MCO2BRS (Thread starter):
Surely, regardless of where these items were on the aircraft, they simply should not be on it at all

It is NOT illegal to transport firearms or amunition in your luggage...although you need to go through the proper steps. In this case it is clear he did not
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

XT6Wagon

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:56 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):
Surely, regardless of where these items were on the aircraft, they simply should not be on it at all

It is NOT illegal to transport firearms or ammunition in your luggage...although you need to go through the proper steps. In this case it is clear he did not

But but GUNS ARE EVIL!!!! I WILL DIE IF I SEE A GUN!!!!!

I really am starting to think that it should be mandatory that every man and woman in this nation should have to take a extensive gun safety/handling class and be required to shoot at least 1000 rounds of .22LR ammo before they are 18. Doesn't mean they will ever have to touch one again, but it would go along way to dispelling its "magic wand" image where you pull the trigger and people die. Or people die cause its just sitting there.

After all people are around guns ALOT more than they think they are. Every cop has at least one. Some security guards. Anything that helps people to remain calm around a cop with a drawn weapon is a good thing since calm people do far less stupid stuff.

Slovacek747

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:09 pm

Yes, it is legal to put a firearm in checked luggage as long as it is properly stowed away in a case. I love guns and just ordered a .45ACP last friday so it should be in within the next couple of days. Shoot on people.

Slovacek747

turpentyine

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:13 pm

TSA does not look for drugs. Thats is DEA or Customs's job.

MCO2BRS
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:36 pm

So what I'm getting from you guys so far is that, it is OK for this guy to have taken 13 hand guns, an automatic gun similar to an M-16, and 8 bags of marijuana onto the aircraft (be it checked or otherwise)? As EMBQA pointed out, it is legal for the weapons to be on the aircraft, provided the appropriate steps are taken, this is something I was not aware of. I understand that every American has the right to bear arms, but to carry a small arsenal with them? What concerns me is the fact that these items got onto this aircraft WITHOUT the appropriate steps being taken. I hate to seem paranoid, but this blatant failure in security could have been taken advantage of by someone with far sinister intentions.

FlyingTexan

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:36 pm

this garbage from the useless TSA...

A TSA spokesman in Washington would not say when or how the agency's Orlando personnel found out about the drugs and guns in the commercial airliner.

"We can't discuss the details of an ongoing criminal investigation," said TSA spokesman Christopher White. "What we can say is that no weapons were brought through the security checkpoints and that at no time were passengers in danger."

But he didn't have any prohibited liquids...
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

WesternA318

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:40 pm

and that the TSA should have picked up on them?

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 9):
this garbage from the useless TSA...

A TSA spokesman in Washington would not say when or how the agency's Orlando personnel found out about the drugs and guns in the commercial airliner.

As comedian Bobby Collins would say: "THESE guys are our first line of defense at the airports? *Screams* We're not talking PH. d's, or GED's, were talking D-U-M-B! Same idiots as before, just with different shirts!"
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

MCO2BRS
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:44 pm

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 9):
But he didn't have any prohibited liquids...

I went through MCO last week, and bought a gag gift for a friend, a Florida Snow Globe, when I purchased it I was given a Ziploc bag and was told that I had to place it in the bag, and have my receipt out to show the TSA when going through security. It's great knowing that apparently my stupid little snow globe was more scrutinised than what this idiot put on the aircraft.

XT6Wagon

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:53 pm

Quoting MCO2BRS (Reply 8):
So what I'm getting from you guys so far is that, it is OK for this guy to have taken 13 hand guns, an automatic gun similar to an M-16, and 8 bags of marijuana onto the aircraft (be it checked or otherwise)? As EMBQA pointed out, it is legal for the weapons to be on the aircraft, provided the appropriate steps are taken, this is something I was not aware of. I understand that every American has the right to bear arms, but to carry a small arsenal with them? What concerns me is the fact that these items got onto this aircraft WITHOUT the appropriate steps being taken. I hate to seem paranoid, but this blatant failure in security could have been taken advantage of by someone with far sinister intentions.

yes. 13 handguns + "M16" properly checked are no threat to me.

8 bags of weed? What so he can get stoned and want to eat some salty snacks?

FlyingTexan

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:44 pm

Quoting MCO2BRS (Reply 11):
I went through MCO last week, and bought a gag gift for a friend, a Florida Snow Globe, when I purchased it I was given a Ziploc bag and was told that I had to place it in the bag, and have my receipt out to show the TSA when going through security.

You know snowglobes and Florida are a legend on a.net?

Seriously, they had you put it in a baggie?

:::ugh:::
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

Maverick623

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:44 pm

Anyone who's ever worked at an airport knows how easy it is to bypass "security".
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

OOer

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:00 am

Just heard it on the radio here in MCO....

It was a Comair employee who has been arrested.

Sinlock

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:02 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):
It is NOT illegal to transport firearms or amunition in your luggage...although you need to go through the proper steps. In this case it is clear he did

You need to declare ant fire arms at check-in, they must be a locked case. Ammunition may NEVER be transported on a commercial airline by Non-LE, not even as freight.

N353SK

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:11 am

Quoting Sinlock (Reply 16):
Ammunition may NEVER be transported on a commercial airline by Non-LE, not even as freight.

Most airlines actually allow up to 11 pounds of ammunition to be checked with a gun. The only restriction is that the ammo must be under .50 caliber or 8 gauge.

LawnDart

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:22 am

According to these quotes from the Local6.com website:

Munoz then placed the guns and drugs by a security area near the departure gate, and by 11 a.m. he boarded the flight with the duffle bag, the affidavit said.

And..

A Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms representative told Local 6 that Munoz had an automatic weapon in a suitcase on board the flight, Local 6's Jessica D'Onofrio said.

The individual boarded the flight with the guns and drugs in his carry-on. However, according to the crack TSA spokesman:

Passengers were never in danger, said Christopher White, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration Agency in Washington.

"While we cannot discuss details of an ongoing criminal matter, no weapons were brought through the passenger security checkpoint and at no time were passengers in any danger," White said.

However, Mr. White, had the guns been loaded and the individual working on behalf of terrorists, would the headlines have been extremely different?

nelsonde

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting LawnDart (Reply 18):
However, Mr. White, had the guns been loaded and the individual working on behalf of terrorists, would the headlines have been extremely different?

Yeah, "gunman killed by police at MCO..."

-DEN
Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV!

falstaff

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):
It is NOT illegal to transport firearms or amunition in your luggage...although you need to go through the proper steps. In this case it is clear he did not

I have a gun(s) and ammo in my checked bag just about everytime I fly somewhere where I can carry a gun. Fill out the proper paperwork and show it to the TSA and no big deal.

Quoting XT6Wagon (Reply 12):
yes. 13 handguns + "M16" properly checked are no threat to me.

No threat to me either. The most guns I ever checked was 4 and another buddy had four so there were at least eight guns on that plane. I saw several gun cases at the bag carousel so I bet there was more than 14 guns on that plane.

Quoting Sinlock (Reply 16):
Ammunition may NEVER be transported on a commercial airline by Non-LE, not even as freight.

Never had a problem with that either. I have ordered ammo through the mail overnight. I am sure it was on an airplane to get to me overnight.

Quoting N353SK (Reply 17):
The only restriction is that the ammo must be under .50 caliber or 8 gauge.

They also usually want it in its original packaging or a "can" made to carry ammo.

Quoting XT6Wagon (Reply 5):
After all people are around guns ALOT more than they think they are. Every cop has at least one. Some security guards.

Lots of regular people, like me, carry concealed pistols legally and you never know who they are.

Quoting MCO2BRS (Reply 8):
I hate to seem paranoid, but this blatant failure in security could have been taken advantage of by someone with far sinister intentions.

If the guns are not in a carry on bag they pose no danger to the crew or passengers. Sure the guy may be doing something illegal, but maybe the guy next to you has a bunch of balloons full of snow in his butt. That is also sinister, but not a danger to the airplane, crew, or passengers.

Quoting Slovacek747 (Reply 6):
Shoot on people.

You can never have too many guns or enjoy shooting too much....
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

flyorski

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:52 am

Do I understand correctly? Did he have the guns with him in his carryon? I think they were not checked on, but carried on.....
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

md80fanatic

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:17 am

Last time I arrived at JAX from DFW, while waiting for my golf clubs.....it become apparent that I was probably the only passenger aboard that did NOT have a gun. One deer rifle after another on the carosel.

Nothing really to worry about.

falstaff

Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 22):
Last time I arrived at JAX from DFW, while waiting for my golf clubs.....it become apparent that I was probably the only passenger aboard that did NOT have a gun. One deer rifle after another on the carosel.

I have seen that before especially at some smaller airports, which many times are close to choice hunting spots, around deer season.

MCO2BRS
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 20):
Quoting MCO2BRS (Reply 8):I hate to seem paranoid, but this blatant failure in security could have been taken advantage of by someone with far sinister intentions.
If the guns are not in a carry on bag they pose no danger to the crew or passengers. Sure the guy may be doing something illegal, but maybe the guy next to you has a bunch of balloons full of snow in his butt. That is also sinister, but not a danger to the airplane, crew, or passengers.

What I was referring to was the severe breech in security, it could have been something far more dangerous than guns... i.e. some sort of explosive device. I don't care whether he was carrying guns, water pistols or an illegal consignment of spoons! It's the fact that it shows how easy it would be for someone to do something like this, that is what really gets me about this, especially when airport security here in the U.S. is supposed to be at its highest level!

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 13):
Quoting MCO2BRS (Reply 11):I went through MCO last week, and bought a gag gift for a friend, a Florida Snow Globe, when I purchased it I was given a Ziploc bag and was told that I had to place it in the bag, and have my receipt out to show the TSA when going through security.
You know snowglobes and Florida are a legend on a.net?

Seriously, they had you put it in a baggie?

:::ugh:::

Yeah, I had to have it in the bag, and receipt on hand to show TSA. Which, by the way, they never asked for once I got there.

falstaff

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:36 pm

Quoting MCO2BRS (Reply 24):
It's the fact that it shows how easy it would be for someone to do something like this, that is what really gets me about this, especially when airport security here in the U.S. is supposed to be at its highest level!

I know what you mean. It really chaps my hide when I get screws put to me, like most other travelers, but somebody gets away with something. It does really make you wonder about the TSA. I have always felt they go after the easy targets because they are easy and the really dangerous persons get a break because they don't want risk it or get nailed for profiling. If someone wants to break the rules they can and maybe they can get away with it. The rules just keep us honest people honest.

aa757first

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 pm

Quoting XT6Wagon (Reply 5):

After all people are around guns ALOT more than they think they are. Every cop has at least one. Some security guards. Anything that helps people to remain calm around a cop with a drawn weapon is a good thing since calm people do far less stupid stuff.

I agree, but its irrelevant here.

Quoting Slovacek747 (Reply 6):
Yes, it is legal to put a firearm in checked luggage as long as it is properly stowed away in a case. I love guns and just ordered a .45ACP last friday so it should be in within the next couple of days. Shoot on people.

Obviously, it wasn't properly declared. It is a problem then.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...D=8A1EB83B2F934B8C85540F5035912CBD

There are the proper steps for those who are interested.

Quoting Turpentyine (Reply 7):
TSA does not look for drugs. Thats is DEA or Customs's job.

Yeah sure So if a pile of drugs goes by the the screener, the TSA agent just sits there and says "not my job"? I agree that it isn't there primary duty, but it would be like a neurologist totally ignoring a patient's skin problem because they don't look for skin problems.

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 22):

Nothing really to worry about.

When its done properly. Since he got onto a plane with a dozen weapons, it is a problem. A huge problem. What else do the TSA screeners miss?

avconsultant

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:41 am

I'm listening to WLW out of CVG on XM Channel 173.

They are reporting these guys are Comair Employees.

Labor issues, finding the correct runway, now renegade employees - drug and gun running. Wow, DL has it's hands full.

MCO2BRS
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 27):

These guys are from Kissimmee, not the worst place to be from here in the Orlando area, but there is certainly isn't the best, it does an elevated crime rate, I think that may have more to do with it than management practices and policies of their employer. I read in a separate article, regarding this topic that they both passed federal screening before being hired by DL/Comair, if this is infact the case then I don't see how this is a major problem for DL (it's certainly more of a problem for the TSA and MCO management) It is entirely possible that this could have happened at CO, AA, UA.... Any carrier at MCO.

MCO2BRS

jetdeltamsy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:52 am

Quoting Cactushp (Reply 1):
Probably because he worked there, he somehow got the bag onboard the aircraft.

Employees coming in from the employee parking lots, which they are allowed to use when traveling on personal business, do not pass through any kind of security except the badge checkpoinit at the entrance to the parking lot.

it is a huge, gaping hole in security that needs to be plugged.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

avconsultant

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:02 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 29):

I predict plugging the gaps are in the works. Reminds me of a comment by my dad, "it only takes one or two to screw it up for the rest. Don't strive for the top of that category."

jetdeltamsy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:46 am

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 30):

I predict plugging the gaps are in the works. Reminds me of a comment by my dad, "it only takes one or two to screw it up for the rest. Don't strive for the top of that category."

I agree. And it's overdue. I think it's been so long in coming because at a hub, where there are thousands of employees coming and going with each shift, it will require huge effort to screen each and every arriving employee. But it needs to be done.

The USAir crash in California was perpetrated by an ex-employee who was able to bypass security with his badge. The most recent London plot involved badged airline employees.

It's a hole that must be plugged before something happens.

Bicoastal

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:29 am

Employees who are going to board a flight are required by law to go through TSA screening like any other passenger. This slime-bag broke the law by smuggling these weapons and drugs on to the airplane by not going through security. The horrible thing for airport operations is that the TSA, because of this a-hole, will now likely require all employees to go through security many times a day just to do their jobs. It will severely hamper airline employee movement as they go from work area to work area within the airport.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

jetdeltamsy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:17 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 32):
Employees who are going to board a flight are required by law to go through TSA screening like any other passenger.

Yes, that is the law. But when basically honest employees who are carrying nothing illegal skirt the rule, do you really expect the bad guys to follow the rules? Of course not. And believe me, virtually no employees actually exit the secured area after being dropped off by the bus to be screened. Virtually none.

Like I said, it's a HUGE hole in security that needs to be plugged.

Bicoastal

Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:24 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 33):
But when basically honest employees who are carrying nothing illegal skirt the rule, do you really expect the bad guys to follow the rules? Of course not. And believe me, virtually no employees actually exit the secured area after being dropped off by the bus to be screened. Virtually none.

SAN is the only airport where I know employees well. They follow the rules. When they're going to get on a flight, they go through security with everyone else. And, they tell me they'd turn in any employee who breaks the rules.

Sorry that you don't know honest airport employees...."virtually none" is a very strong statement.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

jetdeltamsy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 34):
virtually no employees actually exit the secured area after being dropped off by the bus

At O'Hare. I should have been more specific. At Chicago O'Hare.

jetjeanes

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:33 pm

They had id,s to bypass security somehow,,, Nice set of weapons to be hunting in sju...lol Normally the weed comes from that direction
i can see for 80 miles

TPAnx

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:47 pm

It looks as though there's already an effort to plug it...by making airport workers go through the same sort of security
we pax do...details here:
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/16854989.htm
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

USPIT10L

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 34):
SAN is the only airport where I know employees well. They follow the rules. When they're going to get on a flight, they go through security with everyone else. And, they tell me they'd turn in any employee who breaks the rules.

Sorry that you don't know honest airport employees...."virtually none" is a very strong statement.

I've never heard of anyone going through the bagroom to make a flight as a passenger. Those OH employees shouldn't just be arrested, they should be fired.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

copter808

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:55 am

It's relatively easy to screen passengers boarding a flight--that's what we do now!

Think about screening airport workers for a moment... If we use the same standards as we do for passengers, the delays we complain about now will be nothing!! Many of the ground staff require the use of items which would not be allowed into the secured area. How many potential weapons are found in the average mechanic's toolbox?

Some prohibited items are not "required" but certainly helpful in performiing the tasks required by the job. A ramp worker carrying a multi-tool with a knife and screwdriver blades for example. A very high percentage of employees carry lunches or bottles of liquid to work. How will they handle the screening of ASAs (ticket counter/gate agents) which may be required to pass into and out of the secure area several times during their shift?

Probably the best and most practical way to handle employee security is by a good background investigation, combined with random roving security checks and observation by fellow workers.

Is, or will it be, possible for an employee to get a potential weapon onboard an aircraft? Absolutely!!! There is really no practical way to prevent it. What we need to do is to minimize that risk as much as possible, but it can never be completely eliminated and still do the job.

jetdeltamsy

Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 30):

I predict plugging the gaps are in the works.

Just heard today that effective 3/14, all ORD emloyees parking i the employee lots will be bussed to the main entrance of the airport and all employees will be screened just like passengers. LONG OVERDUE.

movingtin

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 40):
Just heard today that effective 3/14, all ORD emloyees parking i the employee lots will be bussed to the main entrance of the airport and all employees will be screened just like passengers. LONG OVERDUE.

[quote=Jetdeltamsy,reply=40]Just heard today that effective 3/14, all ORD emloyees parking i the employee lots will be bussed to the main entrance of the airport and all employees will be screened just like passengers. LONG OVERDUE.

Totally screwed up ! I bet it will only last for days, the delays will be thru the roof.
No amount of security will stop some wacko from skirting the system. All employees have a background ck and drug testing. If a wacked out pilot or tech decided the next flight is going down, all the TSA BS in the world will not stop that from happening!! Whats next? Tech can't bring tool on the airport? The TSA gonna issue tools and watch me use them? they gonna sit in the cockpit and "watch" the crew?

DTWAGENT

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:48 am

Well that is a black eye to TSA. Bush is spending so much on this war and not enough on the TSA and other things here in the US. God I hope this is not a test to see what airline or plane they can use against us in the next act of terror.

Their is just not reason for this to happen at all at ANY airport in the USA....

Chucj

copter808

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:36 am

There are reports now that there were 2 Federal Air Marshals onboard the flight.

...and the Politicians are demanding immediate increases in security.

Has anyone considered the possibility that they were under surveillance during the entire trip and allowed to board and reach their destination so the transaction could be completed and arrests made?

Perhaps nothing slipped by TSA at all.

OPNLguy

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:51 am

Quoting Copter808 (Reply 43):
Has anyone considered the possibility that they were under surveillance during the entire trip and allowed to board and reach their destination so the transaction could be completed and arrests made?

Perhaps nothing slipped by TSA at all.

If the weapons/drugs were in the carry-on duffle bag as the article at the begining of this thread seems to imply, that's one hell of a risk to be exposing an entire aircraft full of passengers to. I can't see the TSA or other LEOs being that stupid...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.