musapapaya

What's The Guy Doing There?

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:59 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nathan Zalcman - AirTeamImages

I am just wondering how this long plane is going to make a U-turn on such a narrow taxiway? Am I missing something?
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

airtran737

RE: What's The Guy Doing There?

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:02 am

Quoting Musapapaya (Thread starter):
I am just wondering how this long plane is going to make a U-turn on such a narrow taxiway? Am I missing something?

He'll crank the nose gear all the way left, and use a lot of thrust on two engines while standing on the left brake. It works.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

star_world

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:05 am

It looks like the aircraft has just turned off one of the high-speed taxiways and is turning onto a taxiway in the opposite direction to where it landed. You can see that the area to the right of the aircraft is much wider than that to the left. A big part of this is an optical illusion - look at the perceived distance between the front wheel and main wheels and it looks tiny - and there is more than that distance both in front of and behind the aircraft. The lens used on the camera compresses all the distances quite dramatically.

Overall it doesn't look like a close turn at all - and the 346 has several cameras showing the position of the gear to make turns very straightforward.

MDorBust

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting Musapapaya (Thread starter):
Am I missing something?

Well, he's already got it more than half way around, so I'm guessing he's got it in the bag.

The real question should be, WHY?

It's IAH, there's no need to backtrack there.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ATCGOD

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:17 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 3):

Well, he's already got it more than half way around, so I'm guessing he's got it in the bag.

Oh yeah, he's working it. That taxiway is pretty wide considering that plane is all the perpendicular and still on the taxiway.

OV735

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting Star_world (Reply 2):

I think Star_world's hit the nail on the head. It does seem to be the junction of a high-speed exit and the regular taxiway.

Cheers,
OV735

musapapaya

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:50 am

Thanks guys! Just could not really believe what I first thought.

Cheers
William
Lufthansa Group of Airlines