LASoctoberB6

15 Y/O Looking For A Job At A Main Or Local Airport

Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:40 pm

ive been lookin around for a job at an airport like LAS, VGT, or HND. i was hopin that they would have a job appropriate for my age....any ideas?
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

doug_or

Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:43 pm

Labor laws generaly make it hard to hire people under 16 in many states. Once you turn 16 I'd try FBOs first, but you may find places require you to be 18 for insurance or labor law reasons.
When in doubt, one B pump off

AlitaliaMD11

Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:46 pm

I to am 15 years old but I will wait till next summer to start looking for jobs at my local airports like LGA, EWR, and JFK.

As mentioned I think it would be slightly hard for companies to higher people below 16 and would generally like to have someone older then 16 working for them.

A possibility is maybe an internship?
No Vueling No Party

Aeroflot777

Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:53 pm

Even for 16 it will still be pretty darn hard. I'd say 18 is more appropriate.

Labor Laws are a b*tch!

Aeroflot777

VonRichtofen

Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:56 pm

Damn, in Canada you can start work at 14 if you want.

Though at an airport the only places hiring 15 year olds are the food court fast food joints.

Kris

thegreatchecko

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:01 pm

Enthusiasm is definitiely something that is needed to succeed in this industry. Unfortunately, so is a good amount of patience.

For a 15 year old, there is little chance of a ramp type position for various reasons. Ramp work and related jobs usually require you to be 18 because of the hazardous working conditions (working around aircraft engines, propellers, fuel, etc.). Also, internships, in the traditional sense, are reserved for college students. You do have a couple options though.

Getting to know the people at you local mom and pop type of FBO and doing odd jobs for them might be a good way to get a job if something were to open up. If you know someone (pr your parents) that works at an FBO, that would probably be the best way to start.

If you are really motivated, get a part time job somewhere and use the money to pay for flying lessons. You may be able to find some work through your flight school to do in exchange for flight time. This is what I'd recommend.

Keep on trucking! This industry has a nasty habit of turning into a long road with no real end.

Checko

PS: Especially when looking or asking about a job, its a good idea to spell things correctly. Simply because you might type something on AIM a certain way, it doesn't mean that it will fly here at Airliners.
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

VC10DC10

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Thread starter):
ive been lookin around for a job at an airport like LAS, VGT, or HND

Sorry, but what does Tokyo Haneda have to do with airports in the Las Vegas area?

WestJetForLife

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:06 pm

Quoting VC10DC10 (Reply 6):
Sorry, but what does Tokyo Haneda have to do with airports in the Las Vegas area?

I think he meant Henderson.

To the original poster: it's hard to get a job at an airport until you're about 16-17, but that's hard even at that age.

If I may recommend, wait until you are 18. I tried getting work at YYC, but they said that it's better if I wait until I'm 18 because of liability issues.

Cheers from the land of Igloos and Ice Caps,
Nik
I need a drink.

TransWorldSTL

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:10 pm

ive been lookin around for a job at an airport like LAS, VGT, or HND. i was hopin that they would have a job appropriate for my age....any ideas?

As far as LAS goes, I'm not sure about FBO's, but the stores/concessions (If I remember right, they're HMS hosts?) are a minimum 18.. Same with the airlines...

As others have said, you might want to be on the look out at FBO's, though you'll probably have better luck once you turn 16, as most states have extremely strict laws about 15 year olds working.. Just one piece of advise, even if you can't find a job in aviation just yet, having at least a part time job somewhere, and keeping it for a while, helps A LOT down the road when you put it on job apps..

JRadier

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:14 pm

If you're 16 you might want to clean aircraft (inside). It's a shitty job ( and I know) but you're out there and with aircraft.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

FlyUSCG

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:21 pm

I would say you are still too young to even think about working at an airport, especially for a first job. As people have already mentioned, the demands can be pretty big and there is an inherent immaturity when we are that age that does not mesh well with jobs like that. You should be focusing on school and looking for a local job near home in a restaurant or in a retail store. Something that slowly introduces you to the working world. We get kids at Disneyland where it's their first job and even at 18+, they dont have the maturity to work there given their lack of working experience. I worked at the local mom & pop pizza parlor where a lot of the high school kids worked and it was the perfect first job. I hate to be a pessimist and all, but that often coincides with being a realist. Good luck to you though.
Go Trojans! Fight On!

jetdeltamsy

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:25 pm

You won't get on with a major airline until you're 18. It's because you can't aren't accountable for your actions until you are 18....your parents are. And no airline is going to hire someone whose parents are responsible for his actions.

Unless you can work something out with your Work-Study program in your high school at an FBO or something, I think you're out of luck.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

F9Animal

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:11 pm

You can get a job at 15 1/2 in Nevada. But, working around aircraft might be difficult. Get the old phone book out and take a look at some of the smaller FBO's at North Las Vegas and Henderson. You might even check out Boulder City, a little ways out, but certainly worth looking at. You might even just take a visit and see what you can find. Desert Southwest Airlines is a small FBO that might need some extra help.

Good luck and I wish you the best of luck!
I Am A Different Animal!!

LASoctoberB6

Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:31 pm

uh...whats an FBO? Desert Southwest Airlines left i think, Henderson airport doesnt take flight lessons anymore.  Sad and thanks for the help guy/girls.

iairallie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:49 pm

FBO= Fixed base operator

They provide things like fueling and ground services/equipment for GA, Corporate or even airlines that don't have employees at that airport. Some are really sweet with free internet, use of a crew car, snacks, and comfy lounges.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

katwspotter

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:06 am

I live near a regional airport and for an airline you have to have diploma and be 18 years. The local FBO says you have to be 18 as well. I am 17, but a trick is to keep showing interest in them until you are 18 because by that time they are gonna think you will be a good employee for them and probably get hired. I know this from experience.
A/C I have worked in ATW - SF340 E145 CRJ2/7/9 DC93/4/5 A319/20 MD83 B738 B752/3 B763/4 A333

NoBoeingNoGoin

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:26 am

Hey there,
When I turned 16, I started working at a restaurant at TYS. Just a few days before my 18th birthday, I got hired by an airline.
Try finding a place in an airport where you can make some contacts; it definitely will help you in the long run!
Alex

jetjeanes

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:29 am

I'm sure your family has insurance on you, carry your card and get some wax and cleaning supplies and contract your self out at an FBO cleaning planes start your own..In another business i had, I hired a kid 16 as a independent contractor and i didn't think he would do worth a hoot.gave him a desk and a computer. So i just said well what ever you do in business wise we will split,,, the kid was making me 100k a year
of course i had to pay the kid 50k He was running circles around my other guys... he was making more than his father.. of course as a contractor i couldn't offer him benefits and 1099 him,.. Kids that age will surprise you I wished i had him on a
8.00 and hour salary..Lol
i can see for 80 miles

malaysia

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:30 am

Some Wheelchair services may hire at 16, but not sure. its really 18 for main airports. I did work when I was 16 for a Ground Handler, but I was put in the bagroom due to no AOA driving permit. (had to be 18 for that based on the Airport authority) got a bit tiring having to hitch hike on tugs to go places. Some ground handlers like Swissport and Globe have hired people in highschool mainly those who have some language experience to do ticket counter jobs part-time
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

xjramper

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:36 am

You will not have a shot at any major airlines in the US until you are 18. It isn't just for airline's practices, but for the unions as well. I tried ever since my junior year to get a job at XJ, and they told me that they couldn't hire me for that particular reason.

If you go to a small airport, you may be able to get a job cutting grass or emptying garbage, but nothing I think you are looking for.

Keep your enthusiasm going, wait until you are 18 and then apply for a job.  Smile

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

LASoctoberB6

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:38 am

Quoting XJramper (Reply 25):
You will not have a shot at any major airlines in the US until you are 18. It isn't just for airline's practices, but for the unions as well. I tried ever since my junior year to get a job at XJ, and they told me that they couldn't hire me for that particular reason.

If you go to a small airport, you may be able to get a job cutting grass or emptying garbage, but nothing I think you are looking for.

Keep your enthusiasm going, wait until you are 18 and then apply for a job. Smile

XJR

thanks. i was sorta opting fer those kinds of jobs if nothing else was available....

jetjeanes

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:54 am

Hmm never say never have a shot,, I walked into Fedex in the middle 70,s lied about my age and was still in high school
i found myself sorting packages with fred smith out there the owner, and playing around in falcon jets and a slew of charters, dc-3 to hanza,s.. Back then you would do everything... we even borrowed a doctors plane one night and stripped it out....lol Then went on to school at 8 am... no one ever knew
i can see for 80 miles

TransWorldSTL

RE:

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting JetJeanes (Reply 27):
I walked into Fedex in the middle 70,s lied about my age and was still in high school

Don't give him ideas.. It's basically impossible to lie about your age to employers these days.

nycfuturepilot

RE: 15 Y/O Looking

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:17 am

Hey LAS,

As a 19 yr old getting into the industry I could probably help you out more than most. Because of the insurance it tends to be tougher to get jobs when you are under 18 but trust me, YOU CAN DO IT. I got my first aviation job at 16 for Teterboro airport doing ops and stayed with them for two years before working for an FBO and I will soon be starting with a major consulting firm. Make a resume and cover letter and go to the airports and go door to door handing them out. You may feel weird doing it but it is the only way to do it when you are 15. Your best bets will be small places who would be more leanient with things. Go to small airports, FBOs, flight schools, operations departments and push until they take you. Tell them youre willing to work for nothing or in exchange for flight lessons or something like that if theyre not willing to pay and reakky, just keep pushing. E-mail me if you need any more help and good luck.

Also, Listen to transworld in the previous post, do not lie to these people, they will catch you and will not want to hire you when you are of age next year.

[Edited 2007-03-10 22:18:46]
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

WesternA318

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:25 am

LAS;

Another company you may want to try is the wheelchair pushers in LAS (I thinkit is still Prospect Airport Services) I worked for them in SLC and when they opened up LAS wayback in 2000, and I was only 16 when I started working for them. AirServ might also be hiring 16 yr olds as well.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

USairways16BWI

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:18 am

At that young age....i would think the only job at an airport you could get was at a fast food place....or doing janitorial work  yuck . But i may be wrong...

cactusmurf

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:33 am

I think that for anybody who works at an airport you have to be 18, because you have to be that old to get clearance to have a security badge to access the SIDA, being an ops agent for US, I see the food court employees coming down to the ramp area all the time to throw out trash and such, and they all seem to be older.

corey07850

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting Cactusmurf (Reply 28):
I think that for anybody who works at an airport you have to be 18, because you have to be that old to get clearance to have a security badge to access the SIDA

Most US airports don't have a SIDA, in fact most don't even have airport ID's... If he goes to his local GA airport and poke around a bit I'm sure he can find someone to hire him to cash register or something a little flight school. At 15 you should really be concentrating on doing well in school so you can do well in college which will eventually lead you to a good aviation job.

walter747

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:32 am

ive been lookin around for a job at an airport like LAS, VGT, or HND.

I'm pretty sure that Tokyo is going to be quite a commute from Las Vegas. Big grin
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

piercey

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:05 pm

I'd hate to hijack your thread, LAS, but does anybody know of any similar opportunities around CLE? Just looking for a few tips to look in the right direction. Thanks!
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

aerlingusa330

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:15 pm

How about me? I'm a college student looking for a job at the local airport. Anyone have any ideas or job openings? Thanks all.
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

kcrwflyer

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:19 pm

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys that dont think 15 year olds should be working. A boring job at some fast food restaurant may not be the best thing. However, If you're doing something that you love to do that could prove valuable later in life, then why not?

LASOctober, If you can find a job at one of your local airports, more power to you. As long as its positive, never let someone tell you you cant do something.

Working in a professional atmosphere can really make a teenager a more mature person. Its also great to have on your resume when applying to college, or for an aviation related job later in life. Grades are very important and should be the number one priority, but personal experience priceless.

-Kcrw

thetuna

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:27 pm

People get your asses down to the airport and talk to different managers about jobs.
He just ate the big one! Hog!...get away from that thing!! Just get away from it!

aircanada333

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:40 pm

I'm 17 and I work at the de-icing centre in YUL. All I needed was a driver's liscence and a high school diploma. At 15 I think you may be able to find a job but it must not require any driver's liscence.
De-icing RULZ!!!

dbudd

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Allegiant here in LAS is always looking for staff. maybe a stint being an aircraft cleaner...

Dave

LASoctoberB6

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:16 pm

Quoting Dbudd (Reply 34):
Allegiant here in LAS is always looking for staff. maybe a stint being an aircraft cleaner...

Dave

when it says high school education/graduate or equivalent, what does that mean? does it mean even though im a freshman in high school, i can still apply?

WestJetForLife

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:30 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 35):
does it mean even though im a freshman in high school, i can still apply?

I think what it means that you need your high school diploma, or something equal to it, such as your GED.

In other words, they want you to finish high school before you come apply.

Nik
I need a drink.

ADXMatt

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:32 pm

Back when I was 15 and started taking flying lessons so I could solo on my 16th birthday I washed and waxed planes for people.

While hanging out at the FBO/Flight school I would start talking to some of the owners who rented hangers/tie down. They would pay me on the side like you would pay the neighbors kid to cut your lawn.

I even got some free flights out of it. They would see me hanging around they would ask if I wanted to take a ride.

I don't know how things are today. This was back in the mid 80's at KISP.

Good luck....

Matt

Goldenshield

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:38 pm

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 31):
Working in a professional atmosphere can really make a teenager a more mature person.

Yes, it can, but let's not go overboard here. Just becuase a teenager can get a job with a company, does not mean that he/she can maintain that job. Things such as his/her relative inexperience in the working world, and the overall maturity of that particular teenager can pose problems to the that particular person, their co-workers, and overall, the company. If the company feels that the particular teenager can pose a ligitamate danger to himself, his co-workers, or his company, that company has more than enough reason to dismiss him. Maturity does not blossom overnight.

Also, part of the problem with teenagers in the workplace—especially males—is their overall cockiness and know-it-all-ism that they have, which, again, can pose a legitimate danger to not only him/herself, but also his/her co-workers, but the company as well. But then, again, that just relates to their overall maturity.

This is why I believe that teenagers should get their first job somewhere in their local community first, such as a local mom-and-pop shop, Wal-Mart (Blech!,) or fast food joint. They will learn—over time—a good work ethic (one would hope,) and the chance to work amongst peers his/her age, and learn from each others' mistakes. During high school, this is the best time to do that, becuase it gives a taste of the working world, without much responsibility, or the absolute need to hold that job, and earn a little cash on the side.

Also, as a side note, the airport can be a dangerous place, with props, jet blast, constant traffic, etc. Insurers and that particular state's OSHA branch might not allow it.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

nycfuturepilot

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:22 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 35):
when it says high school education/graduate or equivalent, what does that mean? does it mean even though im a freshman in high school, i can still apply?

If you show that you will be completing high school then they shouldnt have a problem with it.

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 38):
This is why I believe that teenagers should get their first job somewhere in their local community first, such as a local mom-and-pop shop, Wal-Mart (Blech!,) or fast food joint. They will learn—over time—a good work ethic (one would hope,) and the chance to work amongst peers his/her age, and learn from each others' mistakes. During high school, this is the best time to do that, becuase it gives a taste of the working world, without much responsibility, or the absolute need to hold that job, and earn a little cash on the side

Goldenshield, thats what everyone does and theres nothing wrong with it but if you can go farther then why not? My first job was traveling for a model scouting firm and I then went on to working at an airport, not a conventional start but I feel like it pushed me farther than anything else could have.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

lincoln

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:08 am

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 31):
Working in a professional atmosphere can really make a teenager a more mature person. Its also great to have on your resume when applying to college, or for an aviation related job later in life. Grades are very important and should be the number one priority, but personal experience priceless.

I have to kind of agree here-- I'm 22 (23 in May), but I've been working in a field I really enjoy for about 7 years now. I'm now in my first "real" job, salaried at...erm...lets say a high enough number that I can't complain including excellent benefits, doing something I love, traveling a lot, etc., etc.

Given your age, I would imagine the top priority is not actually cash...if that's the case I would suggest that you maybe explore volunteering at an airport (airport ambassador, whatever) and networking -- get to know everyone at the airport and piss of no one. Always "lend a hand" if you're able to (and won't break/endanger anything). This will have one of two outcomes:

(A) Management will find a way around the regulations and hire you to keep you around, or
(B) You'll have some very good contacts so that when you are old enough to be hired the normal way the application and interview are a formality (and you may very well end up being paid at a slightly higher rate).

Grades are important, but when all is said and done in any industry it really comes down to who you know and what they think about you. Even if you don't wind up working for one of the friends you make, chances are (if you've done enough networking) that they know someone who knows someone who knows you.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

LASoctoberB6

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting Nycfuturepilot (Reply 39):
If you show that you will be completing high school then they shouldnt have a problem with it.

how do i do that?

kcrwflyer

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 41):
how do i do that?

Simple. Just keep going to school every day, and doing the best you can.

FlyUSCG

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting Nycfuturepilot (Reply 39):

No, thats wrong. You MUST have a diploma or an equivalent (GED). When they say they require it, they require it. It also has A LOT to do with insurance. A 15 year old working at an airport is a big liability relative to everyone else working there.

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 42):
Simple. Just keep going to school every day, and doing the best you can.

and then graduate and THEN apply.

However, I just dealt with this with my USCG OCS application. I have to put a copy of my degree in my OCS packet but I dont graduate for another 8 weeks. So my recruiter called me back and told me to get a letter from records showing that everything was going alright and I was indeed on track to graduate on May 5th. So if whoever your applying for says you can do that, go to a school counselor or records office and just get a quick letter signed by them. BUT, being 15, I'm guessing your only a freshman and thus getting a letter like that is probably impossible.
Go Trojans! Fight On!

ACFA

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:26 am

I agree that 15 is probably too young to find an airport job. Don't let that get you down though, I know I tried to find a job like that when I was your age. Get whatever work experience you can for now because it'll help you out. I managed to score myself a ramp job at 17, then I got hired as an FA at 18. Now I'm working on my flight training and can't wait to get a "real" flying job.

UN_B732

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:00 am

Hi Guys!
I'm making a post for a friend here, quoting him directly. Reposintg cause it got deleted.

"Hey everyone. Anet viewer here. I'm a 17 year old with the following credentials under my belt so far:
Worked at Cape Air (9K) for 3 months until the season ended. Will be going back to Cape Air in May. Currently working as a baggage handler for Delta and Spirit Airlines (loading, unloading CRJ200, CRJ700, MD88, ERJ, Dash 8, A319, A321 aircraft)
Driving Tugs, Beltloaders, Operating Ground Power Equipment, Marshelling Aircraft, Wingwalking
Certified MD88 Brakerider (I get to turn the APU on, air conditioning/heat, hydraulics, radios, lights)
FAA Certified Private Pilot - Airplane Single-Engine Land. Checked out to fly Cessna 172R/S and Diamond DA40
Total Time in Aircraft: 101.4 hours Aircraft.Can use Garmin G1000 avionics ....and I'm only 17!
E-Mail me at
XPCruiser911@hotmail.com with any questions
http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...n%20Pellegrino&distinct_entry=true
What now?

Goldenshield

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:34 pm

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 45):
101.4 hours Aircraft.Can use Garmin G1000 avionics

101 hours is not bad for someone who just got their license that year. Also, Garmin is great, until it breaks, and then you have to go back to using real charts (oh my, good old-fashioned flying?)

Certified MD88 Brakerider (I get to turn the APU on, air conditioning/heat, hydraulics, radios, lights)

There is no certification needed to do that, just some classroom and in-cockpit training, with a sign-off in the training record by an instructor, or authorized designee to appease the FAA and airline's training requirements, but no certificate.

--------------------

I'm not knocking this person in any way, rather just noting some things. I should note that I was fresh out of high school when I started working the ramp, so yes, I can relate. It was an exciting time and all, but I was also a teenager, young, naive, and inexperienced.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

iairallie

RE:

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:36 pm

I'm not sure what kind of a job you'd like at the airport. But the minimum age is usually 18 as mentioned, they require a high school diploma and in jobs that require public interaction they want 2 years of prior customer service experience. My recommendation is to finish school, and get a non airline job that will give you relevant experience.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

N766UA

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:01 am

At a major airport you'll have to be 18 to do pretty much any job that involves being around airplanes. I'd go find a small GA airport and cut grass or wash airplanes, if I were you. That's what I did back in the day.
This Website Censors Me

JRadier

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 48):
At a major airport you'll have to be 18 to do pretty much any job that involves being around airplanes.

really?

"Hey everyone. Anet viewer here. I'm a 17 year old with the following credentials under my belt so far

Quoting ACFA (Reply 44):
I managed to score myself a ramp job at 17

Quoting JRadier (Reply 9):
If you're 16 you might want to clean aircraft (inside).
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther