ricardofg

Rude AC Ground Staff

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:12 pm

Since the new Pier F opened in Terminal 1 at YYZ, I have had many opprotunities to share a departure gate with Air Canada, and have taken the time to observe how they deal with there flights. Too putit lightly, i was disgusted. I realize that I am gonna have every AC staff flame me for this, but I have never seen such shabby customer service in my life. I realize that there gates can be somewhat stressful with oversales (especially now) but the way they talk to passengers is ridiculous. A passenger can't ask a question to AC without a quick response of "take a seat we are not boarding"...now this tends to come from more, how can i put it "experienced" agents, but a company the size of AC and with the great reputation they have, I would never want to fly them...I guess basically being a monopoly gives them that right.

YWG

RE: Rude AC Ground Staff

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting RicardoFG (Thread starter):
how can i put it "experienced" agents

If people would talk to them as if they wished to be talked to, then they would get more than a one line answer.

On a side note, chances are they don't care for one of two reasons.
1) They have a union and thus are invincible
2) They don't care what people think of the company image, they're just waiting their turn to be bought out only to have min. wage young guns take over their jobs.

I've dealt with thousands of AC employee's, treat them like a friend and you'll get the same back. "Please" and "thank you" work both ways.
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

ktachiya

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:39 pm

RicardoFG

I completely understand what you mean. Well, I faced a delay at YEG a couple of months ago.

I politely went up to the gate agent and said, "Maam, so are we delayed because of maintenance troubles and can you give me an estimate of when we are going to be heading out please?"

Gate Agent: Angrily "Can you tell me when the pilots will be here to take the flight out, shut your trap!!!!"

I couldn't beleive this. And I know that this is a rare case but it gives me a horrible impression of a Canadian Airline and I am commited to never flying on this airline again.

In fact, I received a similar type of service on-board the plane afterwards. I could understand why the flight attendants would feel pressured, but it doesn't mean that they could give me a drink that they felt like giving me.

I asked for a coke, they said they don't have coke. And they are going to give me orange juice because they don't want to go into the galley to get more................... >_<
Flown on: DC-10-30, B747-200B, B747-300, B747-300SR, B747-400, B747-400D, B767-300, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-300

sk601

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:01 pm

I flew with AC twice last year. From YVR-YYC and from YVR-LAX. On both occasions both ground staff and cabin crew were very friendly. At check-in the agents were very helpful finding a good seat, at the gate they welcomed all passengers with a smile. I was pleasantly surprised! Big grin

lostturttle

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:33 pm

I have found the completion of terminal 1 in YYZ has helped to improve the attitudes a lot, I was there two weeks ago and found the whole process a lot less stressful than the mass confusion of the previous five or six years. I found the check in agents to be very polite and efficient, as well as the gate agents. Also found the flight attendants on both flights (BDA -YYZ - BDA) to be ok.

On a side note anyone know when the Bermuda run will get a XM 320. The interiors are starting to look a tad shabby!

Quoting YWG (Reply 1):
I've dealt with thousands of AC employee's, treat them like a friend and you'll get the same back. "Please" and "thank you" work both ways.

This is also true in Bermuda. But the most important greeting to remember here is...."GOOD MORNING, GOOD DAY, GOOD EVENING......." well you get the picture. Do not walk up to any body and just ask them for the time with out first saying one of the above. For some reason as small children we are taught to say this and as we get older I guess we expect it from everyone.
That being said if you walk up to the ticket counter and say "good morning" to the CSA and they are in a bad mood, you might just help change it for you and the rest of the passengers.

Try saying "good morning" to a CSA in other parts of the world and beside the strange looks you get in return, it might just go against you!

YLWbased

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:35 pm

i was flying YVR-HKG on J 3 year ago, it was 4 hours into the flight are we are somewhere in the middle of the pacific ocean, i asked a cabin crew politely for a Diet Coke and here's wt i got:

i press the attendant button and a cabin crew approach

FA: wt could i do for you sir?
ME: could i get a diet coke please?
(one hour pass by, i still haven't got my freaking diet coke yet)
(pressed the attendant button once again and a different cabin crew approach)
FA: wt do you want now?
ME: i requested a diet coke an hour ago, but i got nth infront of me yet.
FA: so? we are out of pop, do u want some water, we got plenty of them.
ME: What? you guys are out of pop 4 hrs into a 12 hrs flight.
FA: sir, DO YOU WANT WATER OR NOT?
ME: yes please
(one hour pass by, i got NO water)

travelling on AC again? NO, never....
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

pacifique75

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting Lostturttle (Reply 4):
...."GOOD MORNING, GOOD DAY, GOOD EVENING......." well you get the picture. Do not walk up to any body and just ask them for the time with out first saying one of the above.

AGREE!!! Courtesy and good manners cost nothing.... Not simply deffending AC but in general some pax are so rude
and always ready to "attack" you verbally. What should the customer service agent/cabin crew do? Keep on smiling
no matter what?! Whilst I wouldnt be rude, I certainly wouldnt be smiling either!

pacifique75

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting YLWbased (Reply 5):
ME: What? you guys are out of pop 4 hrs into a 12 hrs flight

Well, believe it or not...there are space restrictions on board! I do not work for AC but on the airline I work for
, on some routes we occasionally do run out of coke after 4h as well. Is it the airlines fault if lots of people
are drinking coke?? Or should we say "well, I cannot really give you another coke just in case someone else
asks for it later"? Again, no need for the crew to ba rude to you either...

BishopOfPHL

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:20 pm

My impression is that the negative perception of the AC ground staff comes from how understaffed things are.

I had probably one of my top three worst airport/airline experiences two Fridays ago at YYZ. It was a complete meltdown both with check-in (2.5 hour line to have a tag put on my bag), plus a 3+ hour delay in the ghetto satellite terminal that turned to a cancellation. However, I did not deal with any AC employee who was necessarily surly or rude...they were all just obviously overwhelmed and nowhere near capable of handling their jobs in reasonable way. This is the only time I've caught myself wishing I had flow US for this leg, who, after all, had performed flawlessly on three prior PHL-YYZ legs for me the month prior!

A332

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:24 pm

AC was pretty infamous for absolutely disgusting customer service practices prior to the bankruptcy ordeal. I had my share of experiences with airport staff & cabin crew alike that turned me off flying with AC for a few years.

However, they have really come around since exiting bankruptcy protection... my last few flights with AC have been very good.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

ViveLeYHZ

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:58 pm

I must, with all due respect, dismiss the above as series of isolated incidents.

I have travelled extensively the last two months on Air Canada (North America Pass), and had a great impression of the FA and ground staff. One time, my YYZ-YYC flight was cancelled TWICE, and AC had to bring an A320 from somewhere to fly us. The flight crew went out of their way to make it up for the PAX with food and drinks, a letter of apology upon arrival, bonus aeroplan miles, and of course the usual hotel and food vouchers.

Another time, my Saturday flight to MIA was delayed but crappy weather at YYZ, so I did what a rational person would do, sit down and read (what turned out to be an interesting novel). Other PAX could not pass the chance of giving AC staff crap. I am typically a very tolerant person, but I honestly felt the urge to smack some of the ignorant PAX who would not take "I don't know" or "we're working on it" for an answer. It is Saturday afternoon, you're going to MIA, who cares if you're a couple ot hours late. If you don't like the delay, drive down to Florida.

You guys have no idea how angry I feel right now just recalling that episode. Again, like I said, I am usually extremely tolerant, but I cannot stand PAX who take it on FA or ground staff simply for the pleasure of being control freaks.

My two cents.

pacifique75

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting ViveLeYHZ (Reply 10):
I cannot stand PAX who take it on FA or ground staff simply for the pleasure of being control freaks.

My two cents.

Ah...if only, say 50%, had your positive attitude!! Thankfully there are still people like you.

connies4ever

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:17 pm

You guys have no idea how angry I feel right now just recalling that episode. Again, like I said, I am usually extremely tolerant, but I cannot stand PAX who take it on FA or ground staff simply for the pleasure of being control freaks.

checkmark  Good on ya' ! The ground staff are not personal assistants for pax and have many job functions to attend to, often simultaneously. When wx goes bad, everyone has to step back and assess the situation. Is the wx AC's fault?

AC-bashing is a national sport in Canada, and one that IMHO has far outlived its' novelty factor.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

EFHK

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:33 pm

I would never want to fly them...

Quoting Ktachiya (Reply 2):
I am commited to never flying on this airline again

I think these kind of comments are ridiculous. If you have one, or even a few bad experiences on an airline which employs thousands of people and has an enormous variety of staff, surely there will be some who give bad experiences and don't always act like a proper employee should. They're all human, not robots. Adding an airline to one's black list based on that kind of experiences, I'm sure the list will be a long one.

I'm sure that most of these people who give this kind of comments couldn't handle a single day in a ground staff's job and pressure. I understand better RicardoFG's point of view a bit more though as he's an employee himself, it's just good if he's able to give customers a pleasant experience every time. Not everyone can do that.  thumbsup 
One of the best places in the world: McDonald's in T2 at FRA.

dutchjet

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:47 pm

There is no reason or justification for an employee of any airline to speak rudely to their passeners, or pass nasty remarks, or to insult their pax and treat them like idiots.......whatever happened to the slogan, the customer is always right?

Are some passengers jerks? Yes. Do airline employees face stressful situations? Yes. Is anyone perfect? No. And from time to time, we all have bad days.....and mistakes will happen. And life does go on. But please dont say its acceptable for airline employees to abuse their passengers, its not acceptable. Lets not forget that the passenger is paying money to fly on the airline.....and that money is used to pay the employee.

To the original poster......you had a lousy experience with AC; if you feel like taking the matter further, send a complaint letter, speak to a supervisor, makes calls.....the poor service should be reported. Its up to you. The other choice is fly other airlines in the future when possible (sometimes that can be difficult in Canada). While its silly to write-off an airline due to a couple of bad experiences with a handful of employees with an attitude problem...you are the customer and its your choice.

sk601

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:50 pm

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 14):
the customer is always right?

....but seldom correct  Cool

dutchjet

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting SK601 (Reply 15):
....but seldom correct

And thats why they call it work.

rammstein

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:28 am

Again, like I said, I am usually extremely tolerant, but I cannot stand PAX who take it on FA or ground staff simply for the pleasure of being control freaks.

thumbsup  Almost every time I had opportunity to fly, I noticed at least one PAX annoying the FA with absurd complains or requests. Every time this happened I was wondering if they did it on purpose (they had a bad day and they wanted to annoy someone else) or they were simply enough childish/selfish/etc to not care. Of course, "Good Morning", "Please", "Thank you", "Might I ..." weren't part of their own vocabulary.

No wonder why at the end of the day FA are tired.
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

sebring

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:44 am

RicardoFG - Don't you work for Alitalia?

The pot should not call the kettle black.

MSYYZ

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:19 am

Happier employees = Better service .
A346,A343,A342,A332,A333,A310,A300,AB6,A319,A320,A321,B741,B744,B777,B767,B732,B735,B727,B707,B757,MD80,F-70,E-170,B738

sw733

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:29 am

Quoting Pacifique75 (Reply 6):
AGREE!!! Courtesy and good manners cost nothing

Right, it costs nothing ON BOTH SIDES. I've never been anything but nice to airline employees, even when they have been completely rude to me. This has happened with most airlines I have flown on more than a couple times, but the one roundtrip I flew on AC, I certainly did run into some rude people (YOW-LHR and back) both on and off the plane. Again, nothing but nice, but they were rude back...like you said, courtesy and good manners cost nothing right? Except the lack of them costs some airlines my business, and it sounds like some others have experienced this as well...

WestJetYQQ

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:41 am

I asked for a coke, they said they don't have coke. And they are going to give me orange juice because they don't want to go into the galley to get more................... >_<

That Is Just Sad, Horrible, Lazy, Horrible Service.

I would never want to fly them

The route I fly Most is YQQ-YYC, always on WS. The next time I go I want to fly WS one way and AC the other way, just to compare the service I am given.

I will stick to my reputation by saying as such:

WestJet, It's nicer up here.  Smile

Cheers
Carson
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

threepoint

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:08 am

I guess basically being a monopoly gives them that right.

With one simple comment you have shown that you know exceedingly little about the airline industry in Canada or choose not to care. You were almost credible until that gem.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

SLCUT2777

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:22 am

Since the new Pier F opened in Terminal 1 at YYZ, I have had many opprotunities to share a departure gate with Air Canada, and have taken the time to observe how they deal with there flights. Too putit lightly, i was disgusted. I realize that I am gonna have every AC staff flame me for this, but I have never seen such shabby customer service in my life.

Funny thing, I think the opposite. AC handles all of the DL work at YVR, and they treat DL fliers as if they are their own AC people. It has been close to 20 years since AC had such a monopoly as a federal Crown Corporation. For domestic serice they must compete with WS and increasingly their own Jazz spin-off as well as a myriad of smaller more provincially based carriers for service to many isolated areas of the vast territory that is Canada.
My suggestion is get a better attitude or plan on getting  flamed  !
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

floridaflyboy

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:27 am

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 21):
WestJet, It's nicer up here.

Agreed. WestJet is great, never have had a bad experience on them.
Good goes around!

CF188A

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:33 am

I really have not had a bad experience yet with Air Canada. Delays are all a part of flying and usually they announce whats happening every 2 minutes. Flying in and out of DCA the agents actually seem to always want to talk . Back in January, DCA-YYZ, EMB175, the entrainment system crashed on my sister and I' screen. Was not life threatening however we brought it to their attention and within minutes they stopped what they were doing and made the announcement they are going to be resetting the system to provide equal and enjoyable entrainment for everybody and that the system will be offline for 20 minutes. They also never have a problem letting me in the flight deck. (on ground) , which is sometimes restricted as well

Gate Agent: Angrily "Can you tell me when the pilots will be here to take the flight out, shut your trap!!!!"

I do not believe this gate agent would have lasted 5 more minutes if indeed this was reported.

[Edited 2007-03-10 18:39:22]
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

BritPilot777

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:58 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 1):
If people would talk to them as if they wished to be talked to, then they would get more than a one line answer.

I think that line sums it up pretty well. Passengers seem to think they can talk to airline employees however they wish, and as they are the passengers they are, in their eyes, always in the right.

Respect for those has completely gone out the window, and it's almost non existent with some passengers. If they have had a hard day at work, or hard day at home or even simply because they aren't getting any they should not be allowed to be rude and verbally aggressive with those who are trying to help them get from A to B. Yet some passengers feel it ok to speak to Customer Service Agents or Cabin Crew however they wish.

A lot of us are in our jobs because we like what we do, we like helping people get from A to B safely and easily, we are not there to be talked to so rudely and on occasions called some very harsh names.

However saying that, there are occasions when your jaw hits the floor when you see the Customer Service some people offer, but I feel that these are often and thankfully in the minority.

BritPilot777
Forever Flight

tranceport

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:02 am

I wouldn't believe some of the reports in this thread if I hadn't had a similar experience with Air Canada ground staff in Toronto.

I flew Air Canada on BNA-YYZ-YVR because I heard Air Canada was a great airline. The regional jet from BNA parked at a gate where it was necessary to take a shuttle bus to the main terminal. I don't know what happened, but the remote terminal was largely deserted and we waited half an hour for a shuttle bus to take us to the main terminal.

Following that, there was a long delay on at the transfer hall while we waited for luggage. There were a lot of uptight passengers and the ground staff appeared to be fairly stressed. My luggage appeared about ten minutes before my connecting flight to YVR was scheduled to depart.

Since I knew there wasn't a chance my luggage would make it, I tried to carry it with me to the gate so I could check it at the gate. One of the ground workers had a few things to tell me when I tried to do that. It wasn't so much what she said, but it was the condescension and disdain that registered on her face.

I bolted down the departure hall. The 767 was still at the gate, but the waiting room was empty except for a gate agent with two passengers at one podium and a gate agent at an empty podium. I went to the empty podium and presented my ticket. The gate agent begin typing on the computer when the other gate agent with the two passengers looked over, raised her voice and angrily said (and I quote verbatim), "Why did you give him the seat? I'm giving it away; he's late!"

I boarded the plane, flew to YVR and then waited two hours for the next flight from YYZ so I could claim my luggage that didn't make it.

Mistakes can happen, I can take that. What I'll never forget is the disrespect and rude behaviour I saw YYZ Air Canada ground staff direct not just at me but at each other. The real mark of world class service is not being perfect, it's how you handle mistakes.

I never complained or did anything more than smile and apologize; perhaps I should have been more assertive. What I do know is that I'm just one lone passenger, but I've been using WestJet ever since and they get a lot of free marketing from me because they've never let me down.

Customers in North America should demand more. As a society our service expectations have reached the point where most people feel that if it's not terrible then it's acceptable.

YYZYHZ

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:06 am

I find this thread funny.......

I have NEVER received rude service from any Air Canada employee. Why? I treat them as if they were a family member. Their response? Kindness to me. On the 18th of February, I was on AC 601 to Toronto. When I got to the gate, I asked to have my boarding passes reprinted because I hate the thin generic one that the YHZ check-in machines print....I know picky....anyways I was talking to her casually, and she's was telling me that the plane hadn't arrived to the gate yet. Anyways, they announce a delay because the 1L slide isnt' working so they had to reduce the number of ppl on the plane, inlcuding removiing all of Executive Class. As they're working on the situation at the gate podium, people get going up and asking them questions, getting mad at them, btiching, at one point the one AC agent was surrounded by people. One person get bitching about how shitty AC is, how they weren't doing anything to get the plane in the air, and I responded with a "How the &^#$ do you know what they are doing?" I felt really bad for them. Anyways, when we were boarding, I wished the gate agent luck and if anyone gives her a rough time, then give them a good punch in the face. She laughed, so I hoped it made the situation less stressful.

If you treat them right, they will treat you right, it all falls down on the golden rule. I work in customer service, and I am less helpful when people yell and scream at me.If someone is nice, then I'll gladly go out of my way to help them in my capability. I don't care if they are the customer, no one has the right to treat me as their personal punching bag.

Ummm...need to comment on that one... I flew WestJet once, and they weren't the gods gift to the avation world that they like to be. The check-in agent was really friendly, but it all went downhill from their. The gate agent ignored me and the other passengers as they were talking to a couple that were stranded in Halifax for THREE DAYS, because on their flights went mechancial, and they couldn't get them on another flight until then. The flight attendants on the flight were alirght, nothing special and nothing that said WOW....I LOVE WESTJET......One of them was quite rude actually. All and all, I don't think WestJet is the mecca that they proclaim themselves to be, the flight was alright, I couldn't say it was an awful experience, but I rather fly AC and have my choice of 10 non-stops a day, and receive Aeroplan Miles. To each their own I guess..

I find threads like these hilarious, simply because bashing AC is a Canadian sport. Just look at a G and M forum on a AC article, it could be about AC winning an award, and the thread postings will be bitching about that snowstorm that cancelled their flight, and how AC lost their luggage 10 years ago.....Rant Over...
Travelled on Dash 8-300, A319, A320, A321, A330, B737, B747, B757, B767, E75

sw733

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:23 am

Quoting YYZYHZ (Reply 28):
have NEVER received rude service from any Air Canada employee. Why? I treat them as if they were a family member. Their response? Kindness to me

Ok, so what do you say about people like me who have treated them the same way and been treated quite badly?

iairallie

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:38 am

whatever happened to the slogan, the customer is always right?

It was found to be an idiotic slogan and got tossed into the wastebin of trite phrases. Just talk to Herb Kehller (SWA) I have to paraphrase but he basically said the customer is not always right often they are wrong and if they can't be civil to his employees then SWA doesn't want their business. The customer can be wrong, especially when you working the airline industry where part of your job is enforcing safety regulations. Lots of people today hate it when they don't get their way unfortunately sometimes their way is contrary to what is safe or fair for the other passengers. Should an ops hold a plane 15 minutes for a late passenger jeopardizing connections for the other 100-200 people on that plane? Should a Flight Attendant let you pile your oversized bags in the aisle? Should an agent give you a free upgrade just because you want one? Can everyone have an aisle seat?

to abuse their passengers, its not acceptable.

This is where I agree with you. There are some genuinely nasty people in this business (like any other) but most airline people are decent folks and do their jobs the best they can. Lots of pax get nasty, rude, sullen when they don't get their way. It is not unusual to hear someone complain about bad customer service when they just haven't gotten the answer they want no matter how nicely the employee has phrased it and no matter what alternatives you've offered to assist them with. Employees should never be nasty but they also don't have to tolerate abusive behavior either and sometimes they do have to be firm or stern when enforcing safety regulations and polite requests have not resulted in compliance.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

dutchjet

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:48 am

All very interesting......but

whatever happened to the slogan, the customer is always right?

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 30):
It was found to be an idiotic slogan and got tossed into the wastebin of trite phrases

And this is the problem......

WestJetYQQ

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:52 am

Quoting YYZYHZ (Reply 28):
I flew WestJet once, and they weren't the gods gift to the avation world that they like to be. The check-in agent was really friendly, but it all went downhill from their. The gate agent ignored me and the other passengers as they were talking to a couple that were stranded in Halifax

Maybe bad experiences with airline staff are an eastern thing in Canada.  Wink I have NEVER had a problem with airline staff before.
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

pacifique75

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 30):
Lots of pax get nasty, rude, sullen when they don't get their way. It is not unusual to hear someone complain about bad customer service when they just haven't gotten the answer they want no matter how nicely the employee has phrased it and no matter what alternatives you've offered to assist them with. Employees should never be nasty but they also don't have to tolerate abusive behavior either and sometimes they do have to be firm or stern when enforcing safety regulations and polite requests have not resulted in compliance.

bigthumbsup 

Dutchjet, may I assume you are not/never worked in a customer service environment?

dutchjet

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting Pacifique75 (Reply 33):
Dutchjet, may I assume you are not/never worked in a customer service environment?

You would assume wrong.......and part of customer service is handling difficult clients/passengers/customers without treating them badly. I myself said:

Are some passengers jerks? Yes. Do airline employees face stressful situations? Yes. Is anyone perfect? No. And from time to time, we all have bad days.....and mistakes will happen. And life does go on. But please dont say its acceptable for airline employees to abuse their passengers, its not acceptable

That a passenger is a jerk does not give the employee the right to be rude or abusive.

TheCol

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:03 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 1):
2) They don't care what people think of the company image, they're just waiting their turn to be bought out only to have min. wage young guns take over their jobs.

That's why they have a union.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

pacifique75

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:07 am

Dutchjet, I have stated earlier that there is no excuse for staff to be rude/abusive towards customers!!
HOWEVER, we as airline staff do not have to tolerate verbal abuse either...hence agreeing with IAir Allie (reply30).

ZBBYLW

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:36 am

The route I fly Most is YQQ-YYC, always on WS. The next time I go I want to fly WS one way and AC the other way, just to compare the service I am given.

Carson do your self a favour, fly YYC-YVR so you get on a comparable a/c rather then fly QK YYC-YQQ. Once in YVR you can connect on CMA (Code shared by AC) to YQQ.
Keep the shinny side up!

IPFreely

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:59 am

I have flown AC or UA&AC to YEG (once), YWG (once), and YYZ & YUL (at least a dozen times) in the past two years, and I have always found AC ground personnel and flight attendants to be friendly, pleasant, and helpful, without exception.

In fact, I give AC a lot of credit for customer service from an experience I had in YUL last summer --

I was scheduled to fly late afternoon YUL to ORD on UA, actually UAX, connecting to a ORD-DSM flight. When I checked in, the flight was delayed 15 or 20 minutes, when that went by it was delayed some more, then cancelled. The UA gate agents announced that there were AC and AA flights later that day, that we could go to their counters or call United's 800 number for rebooking, then they left. That's right...40 or 50 passengers sitting in a gate area when they cancel the flight, and they leave.

Since there was an AC flight to Chicago one or two gates down, I walked down there and asked about my chances of getting on. They said there would be a delay but to be seated and they would accomodate everyone from United. A few minutes later they announced a delay to change equipment and crew for their flight. They offloaded all the bags from the ERJ-175 at the gate and pushed it away. About 45 minutes later an A320 taxiied in, they loaded all the bags and passengers from both their flight and the UAX flight, and off we went. I have had a very favorable opinion of AC ever since that day.

sixtyseven

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:01 am

I would say that the header of this topic could easily blanket many peoples experiences at ANY airline.

I have run into rude AC agents but on the majority they are professional and do their jobs.

I think that would be the general consenus industry wide, with some doing even better.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

PAHS200

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting MSYYZ (Reply 19):
Happier employees = Better service .

checkmark 

Not every person that you will run into will always be willing to help you...its a fact of life.

ACDC8

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:13 am

Reading some of these "experiences" that some of you had, such as ....

I'm thinking that these stories are a bit exaggerated. I mean, come on ... "shut your trap!!!!" and "And they are going to give me orange juice because they don't want to go into the galley to get more"? That sounds a bit over the top to me.

FA: wt could i do for you sir?
ME: could i get a diet coke please?
(one hour pass by, i still haven't got my freaking diet coke yet)
(pressed the attendant button once again and a different cabin crew approach)
FA: wt do you want now?
ME: i requested a diet coke an hour ago, but i got nth infront of me yet.
FA: so? we are out of pop, do u want some water, we got plenty of them.
ME: What? you guys are out of pop 4 hrs into a 12 hrs flight.
FA: sir, DO YOU WANT WATER OR NOT?
ME: yes please
(one hour pass by, i got NO water)

I've been on flights (with various airlines) that have forgotten about me, however, I don't recall ever being on an AC long-haul flight that hasn't had the beverage cart, or at least a tray going through every hour or two. Again, sounds somewhat exaggerated to me.

A passenger can't ask a question to AC without a quick response of "take a seat we are not boarding"...

This sounds much more realistic. I've received this response/comment from AC and other airlines a few times before, but there are always reasons/circumstances behind it, such as a delay or work load at the time.

As much as I would love to have an airline job, I don't think I could ever handle working as ground staff. The stuff they have to put up with on a day to day basis amazes me.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

CF188A

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:15 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 29):
Ok, so what do you say about people like me who have treated them the same way and been treated quite badly?

happens in every airline.... and at that... in society these days.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

sw733

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting CF188A (Reply 42):
happens in every airline.... and at that... in society these days.

I guess people just have different experiences, because the two airlines I fly the most, Southwest and Air Namibia, it has never happened. I fly Southwest about three roundtrips a month, and Air Namibia maybe one r/t every two months (but was about twice a month when I lived there full-time)

MSYYZ

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:19 am

Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 40):
Not every person that you will run into will always be willing to help you...its a fact of life.

Totally agree , but to be fair to AC employees ( and i am not defending them here ) or any other Airline employee , we must take a look at their working environment : Under-staffing , long hours , low pay , lack of company support ...etc , these are all factors that can put an additional pressure to a job that is already stressful .
At the same time , customers ( passengers ) can really be extremely rude for no reason ( just because they have the right to complain about employees to the head office whereas employees can't complain about a passenger ) .
And i remind passengers : A smile and being polite will not cost you anything.

[Edited 2007-03-10 23:21:24]
A346,A343,A342,A332,A333,A310,A300,AB6,A319,A320,A321,B741,B744,B777,B767,B732,B735,B727,B707,B757,MD80,F-70,E-170,B738

dutchjet

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:49 am

Quoting MSYYZ (Reply 44):

And I remind airline employees......A smile and being polite will not cost you anything.

connies4ever

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:51 am

Quoting MSYYZ (Reply 44):
Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 40):

Totally agree , but to be fair to AC employees ( and i am not defending them here ) or any other Airline employee , we must take a look at their working environment : Under-staffing , long hours , low pay , lack of company support ...etc , these are all factors that can put an additional pressure to a job that is already stressful .
At the same time , customers ( passengers ) can really be extremely rude for no reason ( just because they have the right to complain about employees to the head office whereas employees can't complain about a passenger ) .

Absolutely...there are so many variables in _any_ service-oriented biz that the general public is usually not aware of.
And there is no doubt the airline biz in the last 5-6 years has undergone a huge shake-up. I have a government-backed pension (for now, anyway), but ask yourself this: if there was a strong possibility of losing a big part of your pension _after_ you had had a major haircut salary-wise, just how receptive might you be towards the customers, who, as has been pointed out, all always correct but not always right ? Esp when many of these belligerent people are over-tired, and intoxicated. If think the FAs and the GAs do a terrific job thinking on their feet in difficult circumstances.

That's not just for AC staff, mind you, but all the various outfits I've flown with.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

WestJetYQQ

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:18 am

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 37):
Carson do your self a favour, fly YYC-YVR so you get on a comparable a/c rather then fly QK YYC-YQQ. Once in YVR you can connect on CMA (Code shared by AC) to YQQ.

Not a Bad Idea, Thanks. I was thinking about the aircraft difference.

hoons90

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:41 am

checkmark 

Of all the airlines I've flown (that even includes CX and SQ), WestJet has the most enthusiastic and friendliest staff (both ground and cabin) I have ever seen.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

a380

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:08 am

Just my 2 cents here. I found AC ground staff in YYZ never asked you to pick an aisle or a window seat unless you asked first. This happened with me all the time, wondered if that's standard procedure? I felt like they were just 'filling' the plane with people. Otherwise the ground staff is generally good and competent. On the contrary Westjet staff always ask me to pick a seat.