EMBQA

RE: How Do Airline CEO's Travel?

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:38 am

Quoting Bobbydgg (Thread starter):
How do airline CEO's travel?

Private jets?

Do they non-rev?

Do they sit in coach?

In a car...in a plane......Depends on where they are going.
Most do not.....
Yes.....Positive Space
If that is all their airline have to offer.....I flew on jetBlue once with David Neeleman and he sat up front. I did a project with jetBlue and a crewmember told me he had flown with him in the last row.

Try a search... this question has come up before....
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...eneral_aviation/read.main/1035987/

[Edited 2007-03-12 02:43:59]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

sea2pdx

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:43 am

The CEO of my company flies on confirmed tickets in coach (not positive-space non-bumpable). He of course has the highest frequent flyer status, so qualifies for automatic time of purchase upgrades to first when traveling on an aircraft that is so equipped.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:50 am

DL's officers and VP's travel in F/C positive space.

Lucky42

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:52 am

Quoting Sea2Pdx (Reply 2):
The CEO of my company flies on confirmed tickets in coach

LOL..You will NEVER see that at NWA. They can and do kick paying pax out of first class I have seen them do it. When John Dasburg was the CEO him and some of the other execs and their family members took ALL the first class seats in an A320 for a skiing trip to Colorado..After we found that out, they changed the computer program so employees couldn't see their itinerary.

gigneil

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:54 am

I have encountered a wide variety of past US Airways execs in C on United flights to Europe from Dulles... and from what I've been told, encountering Herb Kelleher on Continental flights is/was far from unheard of.

NS

GreenArc

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:04 am

As far as "legacy" execs traveling on their own airlines; I suggest a bag lunch and bottled water from home.  Wink
GreenArc

[Edited 2007-03-12 03:08:56]

gigneil

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:10 am

Quoting Lucky42 (Reply 4):
They can and do kick paying pax out of first class I have seen them do it.

You're full of it, no offense.

NS

AA737-823

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:32 am

Braniff was famous for this at DFW back in the day. My grandfather and grandmother were booted off a first-class flight, after they had their boarding passes, only to watch Tom and Mrs. Braniff get on board.

Soured them on Braniff (at the time, aka 'trick or treat airways,' because flying them was either a treat, or a bad trick) for the rest of Braniff's days.

AA737-823

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:33 am

By the way, Bob Crandall was seen on a Continental flight just a couple of months ago. When someone inquired, he replied that he didn't like to connect at DFW if he didn't have to!!!

Norcal773

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:37 am

Big mouth SRB has been spotted in coach on his jets from what I've read here.
If you're going through hell, keep going

gigneil

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:39 am

Denying boarding to someone with a confirmed seat has all sorts of legal ramifications. They may have done it in 1979, but they don't do it today.

NS

FURUREFA

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:43 am

At AA there are 9 levels of management employees, they the top 3 levels can fly:

Level 9 = CEO/Board Members Confirmed F/J/Y
Level 8 = SVPs Confirmed F/J/Y
Level 7 = EVPs Confirmed Y

This is the data I have from 2004, so things could have changed!

Matt

Stitch

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:48 am

UA Officers travel positive space (usually in First or Business) when on company business.

An amusing side note, I know one UGS who personally booted UA CEO and Chairman Glen Tilton out of 1A as that was originally the UGS' assigned seat.

WunalaYann

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:54 am

Lamborghinis?

Smile

SkyexRamper

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:58 am

They travel positive at YX/SYX but with nerve they don't even bother to mingle with their paying customers. They get picked up in a company mini van plane side. Oh yeah, even their wives get the van service and we're told to ki$$ their a$$s too. mmmmm no thanks! Especially in last few months with this whole YX/FL fuss going on, you'd think that Timmy would want to walk with his fellow YX passengers, chat with them and so forth to enforce the YX spirit, nope, he just wants to avoid all that and be the guy who is too good to mix with the normal folk.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

dl757md

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:59 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 11):
Denying boarding to someone with a confirmed seat has all sorts of legal ramifications. They may have done it in 1979, but they don't do it today.

It happens. There is even a section in our HR manuals covering it. There was a big flap about it when Leo Mullin's handpicked CFO Warren Jensen did this very thing back in '98. The issue wasn't even that they pulled paying pax off the flight but that some of the party that he brought with him were friends of his kids. No s#*t.

DL757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

willyj

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:01 am

I traveled in C class on AF CDG-JFK with the CEO's assistant in the seat next to me last June. THe CEO, Jean-Cyril Spinetta, was in First and came back several times to chat with her. She also went up to First to work for a few hours of the flight. I had gone over to Paris for the weekend to visit a friend and felt horrible - at the time I thought it was a combination of jet-lag and way too much partying, although it turned out I had meningitis! - anyhow, I regret not having been able to chat with him for a bit, as he was very friendly and talkative during his visits.

graphic

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:02 am

I've read that Neeleman flies B6 at least once a week, often working with the F/A's during whatever they call "meal service" and asking for customer feedback. If it's true, that's a CEO that cares!
Demand Media fails at life

SkyexRamper

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:08 am

Quoting Willyj (Reply 17):
with the CEO's assistant in the seat next to me last June. THe CEO, Jean-Cyril Spinetta, was in First and came back several times to chat with her.

Well that'll make an employee really think they aren't important, the boss is riding up front and they stick you in back.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

BreninTW

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:15 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 13):
UGS

For people like me, mind translating this to "everyday-speak"?

Thanks  Smile

drerx7

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 14):
Lamborghinis?

Gordon Bethune's preference was Porsche
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

EMBQA

Quoting Graphic (Reply 18):
I've read that Neeleman flies B6 at least once a week, often working with the F/A's during whatever they call "meal service" and asking for customer feedback. If it's true, that's a CEO that cares!

As I said above, I flew with hime one time on an inagural flight none the less. He sat up front and didn't talk to one passenger....!! He BS'd with a few people in the jetway after the flight. but that was it.

[Edited 2007-03-12 04:17:24]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

JRDC930

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:18 am

Quoting GreenArc (Reply 6):
As far as "legacy" execs traveling on their own airlines; I suggest a bag lunch and bottled water from home.
GreenArc

checkmark 

I would have thought Legacy Ceo's would want to avoid their own airlines and fly with those that have decent service.  biggrin 

Or in Bulletproof vests to avoid all the passengers  Big grin
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

Viscount724

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:18 am

Private jets?

One US airline CEO who did often travel by private jet was Robert Six, CO's CEO for over 40 years until 1980 and one of the legendary figures in US airline history. He was also responsible for changing CO's original name, Varney Speed Lines (named for the founder), to Continental in 1937, a year after he bought 40% of the company.

CO was one of the few airlines that owned a couple of business jets, ostensibly for pilot training but also used for corporate travel. Photo of one of CO's Sabreliners below. This one crashed on takeoff from Montrose, Colorado (MTJ) in 1973 killing the crew. It had dropped off 3 passengers, which may have included Six and his wife since Six owned a large ranch near MTJ. The accident report here http://www.airdisaster.com/reports/ntsb/AAR73-19.pdf doesn't identify the passengers on the inbound flight from LAX (CO headquarters then) but says they had travelled on this aircraft many times.

(The name of Six's wife in the photo caption is wrong. It was Audrey Meadows (not Janet). Her most famous role was Alice Kramden, the wife of Ralph Kramden (played by Jackie Gleason) in The Honeymooners, one of the classic American TV comedy series of the mid-1950s. I recall reading that she was closely involved in decisions involving the interior design of CO aircraft after she married Six in 1961.)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David O. Hill

N751PR

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:32 am

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 23):

Or in Bulletproof vests to avoid all the passengers

I'd be more concerned about the crew...  Wink Big grin
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

willyj

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:39 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 19):
Well that'll make an employee really think they aren't important, the boss is riding up front and they stick you in back

Well, it was Business Class on the 77W, so I doubt she felt too horrible about her position! Apparently she and Spinetta are quite close, perhaps that's the reason for all of the visits back to Business? The flight was full in all cabins, btw.

WestJetYQQ

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:52 am

Let me Think, If I was the CEO:

I would do whatever could possibly be best my Airline.

I would not fly on Confirmed Tickets Unless it was absolutely necessary, and only in Coach. If the coach was full and First was not, I would find a single traveler and bump him up. People would remember that, If an airline CEO bumped them to first class to sit in economy, and they would almost definitely return to the airline. I would Co-mingle with the economy travelers and inquire as to how they find their experience on my airline.  Smile

It's all in the little Details

Cheers
Carson
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

HAWK21M

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:02 pm

Out here:-
Commercial Aircraft
Private Aircraft
Private Car

Depending on the Distance & the Airline they work with.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

HPAEAA

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:02 pm

Quoting Graphic (Reply 18):

I've heard that too... I remeber from the HP days hearing about Anthony Mule, who was incharge of Customer service... he got to fly confirmed first class, but the flight attendents loved flying with him because he always got up and helped with meal service and drink service....

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 27):
would do whatever could possibly be best my Airline.

I would not fly on Confirmed Tickets Unless it was absolutely necessary, and only in Coach. If the coach was full and First was not, I would find a single traveler and bump him up. People would remember that, If an airline CEO bumped them to first class to sit in economy, and they would almost definitely return to the airline. I would Co-mingle with the economy travelers and inquire as to how they find their experience on my airline

Well you do that... no offence but most CEO's of companies that size get private jets.... the least you can do is let them fly up front... still a heck of a lot cheaper than flying in a private jet...
Why do I fly???

kaitak744

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:11 pm

So I guess the CEOs of FedEx and UPS go in air-freight.  Smile

WestJetYQQ

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 29):
most CEO's of companies that size get private jets

What Size of Company is this exactly?  Wink
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

Norcal773

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:14 pm

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 31):
Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 29):
most CEO's of companies that size get private jets

What Size of Company is this exactly?

Independence air.  duck 
If you're going through hell, keep going

HPAEAA

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 31):
What Size of Company is this exactly?

well for AMR who is the 108 largest US company the number 107 and 109 slots went to Publix and BellSouth, for UAL who took the number 128, it was Dominion Resources and Constellation Energy, Delta was number 140 and well you get the picture...

I bet at the very least they are using Netjets for their executives travel....

*Note all are in terms of Revenue for USA based companies, source listed below.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2006/countries/U.html
Why do I fly???

lincoln

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting N751PR (Reply 25):
I'd be more concerned about the crew...

Yeah, based on the way some of the NW gate agents at DTW were talking (quite loudly, I might add) about what they'd like to do to whatever-the-hell-his-name-is if he ever showed up at one of their gates when I flew through there ove the summer... I was trying to figure out who would be more dangerous: Terrorist or Gate Agent. By the time we boarded, I was leaning twoard gate agent.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

TedEx

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:51 pm

Quoting Brenintw (Reply 20):
Quoting Stitch (Reply 13):
UGS

UGS is United Global Services. It's a by-invitation "super elite" level reserved for those who control the travel budgets of large numbers of people and United's higest revenue customers. No qualification criteria is published but www.flyertalk.com has quite a bit of discussion about it.

Benefits of UGS include waived change fees, upgrades that clear first before others, pre-boarding even if you're not upgraded, the use of premium check-in lines, etc.

EMBQA

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 30):
So I guess the CEOs of FedEx

LoL... No, FedEx has a fleet of business jets.

sccutler

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 8):

Braniff was famous for this at DFW back in the day. My grandfather and grandmother were booted off a first-class flight, after they had their boarding passes, only to watch Tom and Mrs. Braniff get on board.

Soured them on Braniff (at the time, aka 'trick or treat airways,' because flying them was either a treat, or a bad trick) for the rest of Braniff's days.

I have to tell you, if Tom Braniff showed up for a flight from DFW, I would have gladly given up my seat for him... and would have taken some pictures, to boot!

DFW opened in January 1974; Tom Braniff died in January, 1954, in a crash of a Grumman mallard, and his wife was called home later in the same year.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

AlexPorter

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:30 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 5):
and from what I've been told, encountering Herb Kelleher on Continental flights is/was far from unheard of.

A lot of this probably has to do with two or three things:

1. Wright Amendment - he lives in Dallas, and if going anywhere outside of that zone, he would previously have to choose another airline or do some complicated multiple-ticket thing.
2. Southwest and AA don't exactly like each other very much, so Herb would naturally give his non-WA zone business to CO instead.
3. If going overseas, or to a smaller airport that doesn't have WN service, then WN obviously isn't a choice, and therefore he would once again pick CO for that purpose.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

ordpia

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting Brenintw (Reply 20):

As tedex stated its United Global Service something I'm very proud to say i have just accomplished. Put simply its 'super elite" personally I've had 1k for the past ten years so thats my guess as to how I was awarded but I was never told. Along the lines of ceo travel in the past few years I've sat next to Glen Tilton a few times and it is true that he likes 1A and he will give it up for premier members. In fact the first time I realized I was next to him I asked the same question and he asked me back "how would it look to your share holders if you flew a private jet when your company was in bankruptcy." Smart guy and despite what other A.netters may feel, the right guy for UA.
Concorde 146 727 737 73G 742 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 300 319 320 321 343 346 CRJ ERJ ATR ATP CL604 LJ45 LJ60 BD700

columba

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Wolfgang Mayrhuber CEO of Lufthansa said recently that he travels in all classes with LH in order to see how the service is.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

jetjeanes

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:07 pm

fed ex chairman orginally had his own falcon he kept parked away from fex, and my freight would come in every morning
with another line. Then one day the falcon was in complete camoflague.. Someone at the fbo said fred was going overseas.. Then he got i think it was a Challenger. Nice plane peaked inside. Now i think he no longer flys ,but there are a couple challengers and some lear jets.... I noticed the small lears would be hitting the college football games,and comeing back that night...

His son played high school football down the street here and got busted and into some trouble. So his football plans for ole miss seems to have changed..
i can see for 80 miles

aWombat

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:13 pm

By train !

Sorry could not resist.  Wink

gh123

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:50 pm

Last time I flew from ORD to LHR with United their CEO of UK ops was flying in F. Really nice guy - was speaking and asking the FA's asking their opinions on the airline etc.....

nonfirm

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:16 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 7):

You're full of it, no offense.

NS

This is no bull.We have upper mgt from the director level to the CEO that can get away with this in coach and 1 st.
 airplane 

OHLHD

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:22 pm

Somewhen in the 90´s a OS Executive decided quite late that he and his wife + 3kids wanted to travel to NYC.

So he got them Business Class tickets NON REV tickets confirmed and alas the groundstaff had to offload 5 FullFare paying Business Class passengers because the flight was full.

I remember that it was quite a thing in the newspapers but I do not remember what the outcome was when the Exec returned from his vacation.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:25 pm

I wonder if Eastern flew their execs around in this...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter de Groot

NicolasRubio

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:25 pm

AR's CEO is the only one authorized, together with the president and vice president of Argentina, to use the VIP kit for the 744's upper decks.Therefore, if he is traveling to one of the destinations to where the 744 is sent, he uses the VIP kit, but if not, I assume he travels in Club Condor (First Class)

Cheers,
Nicolas Rubio

[Edited 2007-03-12 11:27:40]
Gripped 7D + Sigma 10-20mm + 17-40L + 50mm f/1.8 II + 70-200mm f/4L IS + EF 400mm f/5.6L + 580EX II

airforum

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:34 pm

Do they sit in coach?

I've heard Michael O'Leary does!

biggrin 
What goes up, must come down. Let's hope the sky never went up.

B747-437B

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:00 pm

Airline CEOs are just like any other guy for the most part - some are unassuming and humble - and others are arrogant pricks.

I've run into one airline CEO while flying in economy class on British Airways - he was actually in line for the lav in front of me and I thought he looked familiar. Turns out he was heading out on vacation and didn't want to chance it with a Space Available ticket, so he bought a cheap web fare on BA.

I also remember one memorable occasion where the adult son of an airline CEO (traveling on a revenue Y-class ticket) and myself were chatting with the FAs in the rear galley on a long redeye flight. The FAs spared no effort telling us how much their upper management sucked etc... Finally at the end of the chat they asked his name. The look on their face when he told them was priceless!!! We had a good laugh about it at the end, and I believe some of the FAs legitimate gripes were actually passed on to his dad to address.

At the end of the day, upper management's time is the most valuable asset they have. If they are traveling on business, it makes far more sense to bump another passenger and pay the compensation than to have the $x00/hr CEO sitting at the gate cooling his heels for the next flight. They sit in Business Class because they need to hit the ground running at the other end and hence need the additional comfort to get enough rest, or because they have work to do and the additional space is needed to effectively do it.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada