azstar

Frontier To Close Fresno

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Frontier announced that they will terminate service to Fresno on June 15.

clickhappy

RE: Frontier To Close Fresno

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:31 pm

Wow, that didn't last long?

Or was it seasonal service?

KPDX

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:41 pm

Aww, poor FAT. lol I was happy for more service to Fresno. That sucks... 

KPDX  

[Edited 2007-03-13 14:41:40]
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

ERJ170

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:43 pm

NOW will they open up RDU? I mean, it's long overdue and it is one of their highest requested destinations.. I mean, come on.. Work WITH me here!!! They could even share a gate with AirTran for the amount of flights they would offer.. (assuming 2 to begin with)..
Aiming High and going far..

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:46 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 3):
NOW will they open up RDU?

No.
E pur si muove -Galileo

ERJ170

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 4):
No.

I figured as much.. but it can't hurt to ask.. c'est la vie!

Lemurs

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 3):
I mean, it's long overdue and it is one of their highest requested destinations..

Just curious...how do you know that? Or are you assuming that you ask enough make it rise to the top of the list by yourself?  Smile
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

ERJ170

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting Lemurs (Reply 6):
Just curious...how do you know that? Or are you assuming that you ask enough make it rise to the top of the list by yourself? Smile

I read it somewhere.. can't remember where so it's not quotable.. but I do recall that when BDL was announced, it was the 2nd most requested and I recall reading/hearing that RDU was the first..

but as always, I could be wrong and I reserve the right to be wrong without condemnation..

Lemurs

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:16 pm

No biggie...I was just curious, I have no information in either case.

I asked because of all the places Frontier does and doesn't serve, Raleigh-Durham probably wouldn't have been one of my 10 first guesses as to most-requested service...so if there were a story behind it, I fiigured it might be interesting.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

ERJ170

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting Lemurs (Reply 8):
I asked because of all the places Frontier does and doesn't serve, Raleigh-Durham probably wouldn't have been one of my 10 first guesses as to most-requested service...so if there were a story behind it, I fiigured it might be interesting.

Until April 24 when UA starts service, it's the largest metro without service to DEN. But it still has more O&D than a lot of the markets F9 already serves.. averaging about 330 daily pax.. and UA will be serving it with the 100 seat 735, then dropping it to the 70 seat E70.. so there is still room for F9 to come in if they wanted.. but I digress..

Its one of the top 10 because it is one of the places you can't get to non-stop from DEN on any airline..

FATFlyer

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:30 pm

7 out of the first 10 posts are about RDU? Talk about thread hijacking.  Wink

This is a heck of news to wake up to this morning, I hate to see Frontier go since they have helped keep many eastbound fares low.

Unfortunately they made several moves in Fresno that hurt them in my mind.
**Started the service in Sept 2005, the start of a slow season at FAT.
**Did not publicize the move to mainline flights that occurred in January 2007. I have yet to hear from anyone offline that knew it was now mainline and that they knew what the service level was like onboard.
**Left the route as a single daily flight since January. There was little flexibility in planning trips.

The single frequency hurts competitively, for example, since the UConn women are playing in the NCAA Fresno Regional but the only way to use Frontier BDL-FAT (if they win their first 2 games) is a 12 hour layover at DEN. In fact 2/3s of the teams (and fans) in the Fresno Regional are from east of the Mississippi but would have poor connections on Frontier if they win their way to Fresno.
**Did not add a Mexico destination from FAT. FAT and SNA were the only F9 cities in California that did not get flights to Mexico.
** Leaving an airport that has seen consistent growth in passengers for years now.

I do wish Frontier well. I wouldn't be surprised to see them back someday. But until then,  wave 
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

LAXintl

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting Azstar (Thread starter):
Frontier announced that they will terminate service to Fresno on June 15.

Kinda of odd to drop a route just as peak summer travel is about to start.

Either the market was bleeding badly, or F9 needs to plane to serve something else more profitably.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

PanAm747

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:46 pm

Keep in mind FAT still has UA to Denver, as well as quite a few other carriers. Two carriers on one route, even Fresno, is quite a bit of competition.

Sorry for FAT's loss. But the way airlines are adding service, it won't be long before someone else comes in and fills the gap.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

N1120A

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:49 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 10):
7 out of the first 10 posts are about RDU? Talk about thread hijacking.

Happens frequently

I wonder why they dropped the station altogether. A swap out to JetExpress could have allowed F9 to use the Airbus to a heavier market and still maintain service to a growing region.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

whatusaid

Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:51 am

They'd told FAT administration at every turn they were bleeding... I suspect that they burned through the grant monies that brought them to town quickly. I don't think they really understood this market from the beginning. CO would have been a better choice for the fed funds... Another case study as to why subsidies do not work?

I wonder what Mike Boyd is saying about this? He was pretty much responsible for getting the service....

mariner

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:00 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 11):
Either the market was bleeding badly, or F9 needs to plane to serve something else more profitably.

A combination of both.

The service did extremely well in summer with load factors in the mid-80's, but that was not enough to sustain the slow months.

However, I am told that the equipment will be used for a new city that will be announced "shortly".

mariner
aeternum nauta

Cactus739

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:03 am

7 out of the first 10 posts are about RDU? Talk about thread hijacking

You really should expect nothing less from our RDU obsessed friend....

He could take a thread about AS starting SEA-HNL and wonder why RDU didn't get some....
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 13):
A swap out to JetExpress could have allowed F9 to use the Airbus to a heavier market and still maintain service to a growing region

I don't think they sent mainline aircraft to FAT because there were other "growing regions".
E pur si muove -Galileo

BA

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:28 am

A swap out to JetExpress could have allowed F9 to use the Airbus to a heavier market and still maintain service to a growing region.

That's what I would have thought...

Perhaps when more Republic ERJ-170s come in, they can restart the service...

F9 has discontinued markets and returned to them in the past. STL pops to my mind....
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

mariner

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting BA (Reply 18):
That's what I would have thought...

It was Jet Express - 2 x daily - until January, when the first two Horizon CR7's left the fleet. It became 1 x daily mainline because of aircraft availability issues, but I would think the writing was already on the wall.

Frontier was always a bit reluctant abut FAT - the grant was on the table for some time before they accepted it - and that grant caused some small bad blood with United, as Mike Boyd notes.

Unless there was some strategic value to FAT, I think it is a wise decision to send aircraft where they can better earn their keep.

mariner
aeternum nauta

FATFlyer

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 12):
Keep in mind FAT still has UA to Denver, as well as quite a few other carriers. Two carriers on one route, even Fresno, is quite a bit of competition.

The problem is going to be the impact on fares here this summer. Losing that many seats eastbound will really hurt unless someone else adds seats to the east.

Consider the load factors last summer. All carriers at FAT averaged 89% load factors in June 2006. AA to DFW ran at 98% and DLConn to SLC was 91%. Frontier was 88%

Frontier had 2 CR7s in the above load factor last summer. Without those seats we here in Fresno are looking at a very high priced summer to go east.

Pe@rson

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 2):
FAT

Hardly a coincidence that FAT is in the U.S.A.  Silly
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

ERJ170

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:18 am

This is kinda sad for FAT. Do they currently have the service on UA or UAX? If so, its sad for a lost of a carrier, but if the route is still available, that is good. If not, then that sux.

But on the upside, they do have XJet coming in to offer some service. Perhaps down the road, XJet will offer COS service to compensate?

Happens frequently

Quoting Cactus739 (Reply 16):
You really should expect nothing less from our RDU obsessed friend....

He could take a thread about AS starting SEA-HNL and wonder why RDU didn't get some....

Did I do that??? Big grin My bad.. I'll work on that..

Tan Flyr

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:22 am

I would hope that AA might now take a look and add the 3rd seasonal DFW flight that we had several years ago..or better yet..add a Chicago flight...I can only hope!

ERJ170

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:25 am

How is service at FAT? Was there a pax increase over the past year? 3 years? or has is been stagnant?

whatusaid

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:44 am

Pax growth has been above the national average, partly due to expanded service. FATflyer has the numbers, I'm sure.

Well, a lousy couple of weeks for FAT. First DL teases us with the ATL service. Now, F9 calls it quits. Don't know about the rest of you, but it's diet time. We'd better slim down 'cause the RJ's are gonna be packed and if you're heading to or through DEN, expensive.

N1120A

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:58 am

**Did not add a Mexico destination from FAT. FAT and SNA were the only F9 cities in California that did not get flights to Mexico.

SNA will never get Mexico service. Has FAT built its new FIS yet?

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 21):
Hardly a coincidence that FAT is in the U.S.A

Funny  sarcastic 

It stands for Fresno Air Terminal.

FATFlyer

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 22):
This is kinda sad for FAT. Do they currently have the service on UA or UAX? If so, its sad for a lost of a carrier, but if the route is still available, that is good. If not, then that sux.

But on the upside, they do have XJet coming in to offer some service. Perhaps down the road, XJet will offer COS service to compensate?

The real problem is not going to Colorado but all the way to the east coast. The loss of a competitor with a hub that far east of FAT will hurt.

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 24):
How is service at FAT? Was there a pax increase over the past year? 3 years? or has is been stagnant?

As WhatUSaid mentioned it is continuing growth and all of it is above the national average
2006 up 7.5%
2005 up 7.1%
2004 up 7.1%
2003 up 2.3%
2002 up 7.6%
2001 down -6.8%

FATFlyer

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
SNA will never get Mexico service. Has FAT built its new FIS yet?

Since MX has been flying FAT-GDL since last April I hope they are using the FIS and not just a domestic gate.  Wink

N1120A

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:32 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 28):
Since MX has been flying FAT-GDL since last April I hope they are using the FIS and not just a domestic gate.

biggrin  You mean Mexico isn't pre-cleared and FAT doesn't have an FBO FIS  Silly

Just Kidding.

OzarkD9S

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:00 am

Hardly a coincidence that FAT is in the U.S.A.

I should be offended at this slight towards my countrymen and women but I'm laughing too hard!
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

lincoln

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
It stands for Fresno Air Terminal.

But they changed the name of the airport to "Fresno Yosemite International"... as was told to me by relatives who still lived in the region both to capitalize on the Yosemite connection and they were hoping to ditch the "FAT" airport code in favor of "FYI" -- partially due to the mocking.

The powers that be wouldn't allow the airport code change so -- at least last time I was there -- about 1/3 of the stuff was "FAT", 1/3 of it was "FYI", and the remaining 1/3 was "Fresno Yosemite International"... Somewhat confusing, all-in-all.

Maybe the part about changing the airport code is just urban lore, but I beleive it myself...

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

N1120A

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 31):
But they changed the name of the airport to "Fresno Yosemite International"... as was told to me by relatives who still lived in the region both to capitalize on the Yosemite connection and they were hoping to ditch the "FAT" airport code in favor of "FYI" -- partially due to the mocking

Maybe the part about changing the airport code is just urban lore, but I beleive it myself...

It isn't urban lore, Fresno has been trying for at least 5 years or so to change the code to FYI or something other than FAT. Much like MSY, which most people just don't understand, trying to change to JZY or something more New Orleans, the costs involved have outweighed the benefits of a change.

FATFlyer

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):
It isn't urban lore, Fresno has been trying for at least 5 years or so to change the code to FYI or something other than FAT.

Longer, the airport was renamed Fresno Yosemite International in 1996. They started trying to change the code then, over 10 years ago.

N1120A

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:04 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 33):
Longer, the airport was renamed Fresno Yosemite International in 1996. They started trying to change the code then, over 10 years ago.

I thought the bigger push started later than that.

CIDFlyer

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:20 am

But they changed the name of the airport to "Fresno Yosemite International"... as was told to me by relatives who still lived in the region both to capitalize on the Yosemite connection and they were hoping to ditch the "FAT" airport code in favor of "FYI" -- partially due to the mocking.

The powers that be wouldn't allow the airport code change so -- at least last time I was there -- about 1/3 of the stuff was "FAT", 1/3 of it was "FYI", and the remaining 1/3 was "Fresno Yosemite International"... Somewhat confusing, all-in-all.

Lincoln

could be worse, those poor people in Sioux City, Iowa have the code SUX

I've never been there, but I can't imagine it would be that bad!  Smile

FATFlyer

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:34 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 34):
I thought the bigger push started later than that.

WhatUSaid might remember the timeline specifics, he was a little more tuned into airport news then I was when that was going on. I have all of that info boxed up in the garage and it would take some time to find it but its come around a few times.

But the original attempt was 10 or so years ago.

Bicoastal

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 30):

Hardly a coincidence that FAT is in the U.S.A.

I should be offended at this slight towards my countrymen and women but I'm laughing too hard!

Ok, then. We'll say nothing about teeth and Brits, will we?? And, I can't say Brits aren't too far behind us on the scales......
 Wink
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

lhpdx

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:57 am

I cannot believe Fresno is losing air service by Frontier ..This is absolutely terrible! I will not be able to sleep well tonight.....

QXatFAT

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:20 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 12):

Well look at LAS. Sure its a place of gathering for everyone, but you have G4, US, UAX flying there. So two carriers on one route is nothing. It is a connectiong city in DEN for everyone to move onto somewhere else in the mid-west or east coast.

I do not know about the mocking part of it, but they want it changed to FYI because of the Yosemite in the name will hopefully catch peoples eyes as the Fresno airport being the one you want to fly into to get to the Yosemite Park. As of right now (an e-mail response from someone at FAT) there is no hopes in it changing any time soon. The push is going no where.

Quoting WhatUsaid (Reply 25):
Pax growth has been above the national average, partly due to expanded service.

True. Also, people are finally spending their money as well flying out of FAT rather than SFO, SMF, OAK, SJC, or LAX. With the price of fuel going up, people are seeing that is better to just save the trip and pay the $100 extra and fly out of FAT rather than spend it in gas and leaveing your car at the airport and paying parking fees.

Quoting WhatUsaid (Reply 25):
We'd better slim down 'cause the RJ's are gonna be packed

Preach it!

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 24):

FATFlyer gave great numbers. Thanks. I will just add a bit more to it to give passanger numbers.

2005: 1.191 million passangers increase of +6.5%...national average +2.5% increase.
2006: 1.281 million passangers increase of +7.54%...national average -1.3% decrease.

I am sad that F9 is leaving FAT, but I am now counting down the days that they return  Wink
Don't Tread On Me!

D L X

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:39 am

This pisses me off. FAT got a lot of money from the government to pay for F9 to come to FAT. What a waste - a waste we all knew was going to happen.

lincoln

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:40 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 33):

That sounds about right -- last time I flew in/out of/through FAT was probably somewhere around 98/99 (that's the time at which my parents decided that it was both less expensive and quicker to just drive to visit family vs. fly) and I know the push had already started -- The airport was also in the midst of major renovations -- I don't recall ever seeing the finished result of those, but they looked promising.

I a little corner of my heart is very sentamental twoards the "old" FAT -- before my family moved to SoCal in '89 my dad would fly to his new job Sunday evening and then fly back home Friday night -- I spent much time hanging around those gates/podiums when I was <5 -- it is still, to an extent, what I think of as the quintessential mid-size town's airport.

Man do I whish I had pictures of that place pre-renovation  Sad

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

FATFlyer

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:50 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 39):
With the price of fuel going up, people are seeing that is better to just save the trip and pay the $100 extra and fly out of FAT rather than spend it in gas and leaveing your car at the airport and paying parking fees.

Also the time of the drive. My neighbor told me last weekend that she and her husband are tired of flying to SFO or LAX then driving 4 hours home. So they are now booking vacation flights out of FAT.

I also checked the numbers for XJet to San Diego, at the fares they show right now people should jump on the tickets. I know we are trying to find a free weekend. XJet's cheapest FAT-SAN ticket is $138 RT inc tax. Driving Fresno to San Diego at 20 miles/gallon at $3/gallon is about $100 roundtrip AND it requires 11 to 12 hours to drive roundtrip. (gas is actually over $3.00/gallon in Fresno this week)

The driving makes it hard to do a relaxing weekend in San Diego but the flights at those fares might change that.

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 39):
2005: 1.191 million passangers increase of +6.5%

I had it over 7%, I'll have to check my spreadsheet numbers.

LHRBFSTrident

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:06 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 41):
quintessential mid-size town's airport.

it's very tempting to think of Fresno as the epitome of small town hicksville - but just in population terms it's bigger than Austin, TX (at least according to our population profiles - we operate hospitals in CA and TX)

It always was a conundrum to me that FAT didn't have more service, or that the UAx service to LAX wasn't operated by larger a/c than the Brasilia - one cancelled service meant hanging around those podiums forever trying to get home, and that used to happen more often than my sanity could take...

OK, so it's a farming community, has the highest urban unemployment in the USA (except Yuma, AZ per USAToday) and its only real claim to fame is the IRS processing center!

However, to my mind, that kind of 'Greyhound Bus'-type population has WN written all over it...

But UA, DL, AA, HP and AS have all made a go of services to their hubs, so it seems like F9 just went in half-hearted as FATflyer alluded to.

mariner

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:23 am

Quoting LHRBFSTrident (Reply 43):
so it seems like F9 just went in half-hearted as FATflyer alluded to.

Half-hearted? It required some investment by Frontier, despite the grant, and I have little doubt they gave it their best shot.

You can say their best shot wasn't good enough, but I'm not sure why they would want it to fail.

mariner
aeternum nauta

PanAm747

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:41 am

Quote:
This is kinda sad for FAT. Do they currently have the service on UA or UAX?

Yes - United Express flies to LAX, SFO, and has Denver service. Other than UA Express and American Eagle to LAX, I believe that Denver was the only route from Fresno where to air carriers are competing.

Quote:
Well look at LAS. Sure its a place of gathering for everyone, but you have G4, US, UAX flying there. So two carriers on one route is nothing. It is a connectiong city in DEN for everyone to move onto somewhere else in the mid-west or east coast.

Yes, but LAS is a destination - Fresno is not. Two carriers on one route out of FAT can be tough.

Quote:
it's very tempting to think of Fresno as the epitome of small town hicksville - but just in population terms it's bigger than Austin, TX (at least according to our population profiles - we operate hospitals in CA and TX)

OK, so it's a farming community, has the highest urban unemployment in the USA (except Yuma, AZ per USAToday) and its only real claim to fame is the IRS processing center!

And of course there's the semi-official motto: "Hey - we're not Bakersfield"  rotfl 
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

FATFlyer

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:52 am

Quoting LHRBFSTrident (Reply 43):
OK, so it's a farming community, has the highest urban unemployment in the USA (except Yuma, AZ per USAToday)

The unemployment rate has dropped tremendously in the last few years, still higher than average but the area has been gaining ground.

Fresno County's Unemployment rate
1999 13.6%
2006 8%

And that happened while the county grew by over 110,000 people. Few areas have made that much job growth in as short a period while adding a large population.

FATFlyer

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:55 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 45):
I believe that Denver was the only route from Fresno where to air carriers are competing.

There are 3 carriers on FAT-LAS, 2 on FAT-LAX.

And of course there's the semi-official motto: "Hey - we're not Bakersfield"

I just posted this on another board. The new motto is going to be "Cabo Wabo Fresno". Sammy Hagar is currently planning to open his third Cabo Wabo in Fresno. The other 2 are in Cabo San Lucas and Lake Tahoe.
http://www.granitepark.com/restaurants.html

QXatFAT

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:11 am

Yes, but LAS is a destination - Fresno is not. Two carriers on one route out of FAT can be tough.

I am sorry but I do not understand what you are saying. DEN is a destination as well correct? So what makes the difference from flights to DEN or LAS? "Two carriers on one route out of FAT can be tough" and so can 3 one route correct? I am sorry. I am just not understanding.

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 42):
I had it over 7%, I'll have to check my spreadsheet numbers.

My numbers came right from Vikkie Calderon with Public Relations

http://www.fresno.gov/NR/rdonlyres/A...AIRLINELOADFACTORSDecember2005.pdf
Don't Tread On Me!

SpencerII

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:31 am

FAT city (Fresno Air Terminal) always has had an On again off again relationship with airlines. I think it probably will always be that way, as most frequent flyers are so entrenched into the mileage plans.