NoWorries
Topic Author

Airbus Exec Hints At Tardy 787

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:15 pm

He's baaaack ... John Leahy says that Boeing's supplier thnk the 787 may be late.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...echnology/2003615147_airbus13.html

JAL777

RE: Airbus Exec Hints At Tardy 787

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting NoWorries (Thread starter):
He's baaaack ... John Leahy says that Boeing's supplier thnk the 787 may be late.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm....html

Well if anyone knows aircraft delays, its Airbus and Mr. Leahy - they're sort of the experts on the subject.  Yeah sure

avconsultant

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:25 pm

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm....html

Of course he does, he's the one sitting on the "White Elephant". Airbus's journey brought them to a fork in the road and they chose the wrong path. Airbus's options have run dry, it appears they're left to resort to "spinning the truth and mud slinging".

787 might suffer a delay, but not a monumental Airbus setback. The Airbus debacle would bankrupt most companies.

clickhappy

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:27 pm

"You'll clearly see 2007 as being the year of the A350," he said.

Doesn't he mean 2014, when the A350 might fly for the first time?

Lumberton

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:28 pm

There is a Boeing press briefing this AM at 10:00 isn't there? Let's see what Scott Carson has to say about the 787. Frankly, Mr. Leahy isn't doing himself any favors when he makes these pronouncements; they come across as 'sour grapes".
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

DAYflyer

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 1):
Well if anyone knows aircraft delays, its Airbus and Mr. Leahy - they're sort of the experts on the subject.

Indeed. Leahy saying that is just another reason he has no further credibility.
One Nation Under God

frequentflyer

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:31 pm

Whatever it is, Airbus should be careful to talk publicly about delays... the have not proven their ability to manage them yet. And am not sure Boeing are asking them for help lol!
Take off and live

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 4):
Frankly, Mr. Leahy isn't doing himself any favors when he makes these pronouncements; they come across as 'sour grapes".

Especially after the Kudos Boeing gave the A380 last week . . .

Pretty cheap shot . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

NYC777

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:34 pm

There is a Boeing press briefing this AM at 10:00 isn't there? Let's see what Scott Carson has to say about the 787. Frankly, Mr. Leahy isn't doing himself any favors when he makes these pronouncements; they come across as 'sour grapes".

Actually that breifing is on Monday the 19th at 10AM ET.

Boy JL love to put his foot in his mouth. He really like egg in his face...next time it's going to be a whole pie. What a jerk!

He needs to worry about his customers cancelling the A380 then talking trash about the 787.

[Edited 2007-03-13 14:43:25]
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

Stitch

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:35 pm

He still has his sense of humor:

"Despite our extensive experience in delaying aircraft programs, we don't have any particular inside knowledge" about the 787 program, Leahy said. "But if you talk with suppliers, most people are talking about up to a six-month delay as a possibility."

However, as of this week Alenia is preparing to ship their first fuselage sections to Vought and the Japanese continue to send parts and are preparing to send the wings this week or next.

centrair

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:42 pm

There is a Boeing press briefing this AM at 10:00 isn't there? Let's see what Scott Carson has to say about the 787.

The first 787 vertical stablizers are due to be delivered on Wednesday morning.

Yes there have been some supply problems but Boeing nipped it in the bud.

Alenia was behind with their barrels. Boeing sent engineers.
MHI was having a little bug with the wings. Boeing sent engineers.
All resolved. The wings are being picked up this week.
The 2nd LCF is now in the air and will bring the wings to Seattle. Then hopefully off to Spirit for the forward section. And to Italy for Alenia's sections to haul to Charleston for joining with KHI/FHI sections and Vought sections. Then those are sent off to Seattle. End of April...roll out of a nice new 787-8.

Boeing is a little behind but still in the target window.

I am a father and if I were Leahy's father I would say..."That is a time out young man. Go stand in the corner. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

manni

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 3):
"You'll clearly see 2007 as being the year of the A350," he said.

Could it be that Mr. Leahy is a bit better informed then just about any airliners.net member? I'd give atleast some credibility to the man's predictions about their OWN products.

John Leahy says that Boeing's supplier thnk the 787 may be late.

So it's not Mr. Leahy who is predicting a delay but the suppliers, according to the article.

Do note that Mr.Leahy's own words were...

"In this particular case, misery doesn't love company," said Leahy, "We wish them well, to get an airplane out the door on time."

But, I'd say much more worth a topic IMO are these paragraphs...

Only one airline, Finnair, has reconfirmed that it will order the new version, but Leahy said he expects almost all of the original customers will do so.

One reason for his confidence: Leahy said part of the $657 million set aside in the parent-company accounts last week for the A350 delays was to cover the difference in price between the original A350 and the latest version.

In other words, Airbus is paying much of the difference, and the airlines that ordered early are getting a great deal.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

keesje

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:52 pm

6 months? I guess if its true w´ll see a lot of "suggest deletions" calls next week.

What strikes me in the article is the pre occupied defensive stand the reporter takes towards Leahy.

Who the hell does he think he is questioning Boeing, the Holy Grail Of Aerospace Technology (where´s leelaw anyway  Wink )
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

SEPilot

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting Centrair (Reply 11):
I am a father and if I were Leahy's father I would say..."That is a time out young man. Go stand in the corner. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Bingo.
John should really just talk about Airbus. If Boeing succeeds in delivering on time (and I have no reason to doubt that they will) he will really tarnish his credibility (if there is any left to tarnish). If Boeing is late nothing will be gained by Leahy being able to say "I told you so."
As to 2007 being the "year of the A350" pardon me if I wait to see it before I believe it.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

clickhappy

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:01 pm

Keesje - two things

1) If the Boeing COO goes on record as saying the 787 is on time, and it isn't, Boeing would face trouble from both thier shareholders and the SEC.

2) Leahy is a loud mouth. Do we need to drag out all his past comments about the Dreamliner? And the sales figures he promised for his 787-copy?

EI321

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:01 pm

Which suppliers could he be talking about? Which suppliers do Airbus and Boeing share?

Danny

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:04 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 15):
1) If the Boeing COO goes on record as saying the 787 is on time, and it isn't, Boeing would face trouble from both thier shareholders and the SEC.

They will be as fine as the were after the corruption scandal with KC767.

2) Leahy is a loud mouth.

Just as Randy. This is what salesman get paid for - big mouth.

[Edited 2007-03-13 15:07:03]

N328KF

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:09 pm

Quoting Danny (Reply 17):

Randy doesn't go saying crap like "The A350 is a dog and will be six months late."

Say what you will about either of them, but there is a distinction between their mannerisms.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

NYC777

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:09 pm

Heck he probably took the comments made by that idiot research anaylst at Wachovia and recycled them and made them his own.

Do we need to drag out all his past comments about the Dreamliner? And the sales figures he promised for his 787-copy?

Yes we should!!!

ATCGOD

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:11 pm

Quoting Manni (Reply 12):

So it's not Mr. Leahy who is predicting a delay but the suppliers, according to the article.

In any rate, it's not for him to say...that should come from Boeing or the suppliers themselves. Its just a way of him shifting his mudslinging from "I say" to "they said". Very poor taste in my opinion.

EI321

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:14 pm

Seriously, instead of fighting over who is the bigger mouth, maybe it would be worth while analising what he actually said.

Quote:

Airbus' chief commercial officer and supersalesman said Monday he's hearing from suppliers that Boeing's 787 could be up to six months late. Though he'd prefer that didn't happen, he added.

Which suppliers is he talking about?

clickhappy

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:15 pm

They will be as fine as the were after the corruption scandal with KC767.

Huh? What are you trying to say here?

If anything the 767 Tanker debacle has put Boeing in a much stronger position.

tak

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:16 pm

Wow, Mr. Leahy showing why so many people on A. net really dislike him. I think he comes across as a cheap used car salesman. I love the "I've heard from boeing suppliers they may be 6 months late" and then immediately "oh but I'd prefer that did not happen". Right, sound familiar....

Used car salesman: hey man, how are you, I have the latest car for you. Only a few left (for delivery in 2014). And, I hear jimmy down the block (who has sold 500 or so) may have some trouble getting inventory in. Although, I wish Jimmy all the best luck getting inventory in to fill up all of his orders.

Think about it. It is actually a really cheap shot. Boeing has come out numerous times saying that they feel they are on schedule but Mr. Leahy feels he knows better about a 6 month delay. Not cool!!!

Could it be that Mr. Leahy is a bit better informed then just about any airliners.net member? I'd give at least some credibility to the man's predictions about their OWN products.

Manni, I think he is just trying to be a salesman. Of course he is going to say that this is the year for the A350. How dumb would he look if he said this will be the 787's year? I don't object to him saying that, I feel that is selling his product, which is fine.

Do note that Mr.Leahy's own words were...

"In this particular case, misery doesn't love company," said Leahy, "We wish them well, to get an airplane out the door on time."

Manni, of course he is not going to say "I hope Boeing fails miserably and has the same experience we had with the A380. This is more of a subtle jab.

One reason for his confidence: Leahy said part of the $657 million set aside in the parent-company accounts last week for the A350 delays was to cover the difference in price between the original A350 and the latest version.

In other words, Airbus is paying much of the difference, and the airlines that ordered early are getting a great deal.

Manni, I agree that airbus will probably confirm a lot of their previous orders, and the available cash on hand will help a great deal. Do you think the 657 million is the total amount? I guess this would be included in any "sweet deals" for A330s. ie, if we sell you 5 A330s for 5 million less than normal discount that equals 25 million out of the compensation agreement? Just curious what everyone thinks about that. 657 million comes out to close to 6.5 million per airplane previously sold (657 million/ 102 airplane). Sounds like a decent amount of compensation. What is the difference in list prices between the old 350 and the XWB?

Also, this raises the issue of QR, who never signed for the old 350, but will probably want the same deal on compensation to sign on the dotted line for "up to 60 frames". I think QR will ultimately go with the XWB, but I think they will fight hard for deals along the lines of what finnair got, or even a bigger discount considering that they are committing to buy more frames. What do you guys think?

NYC777

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 21):
Which suppliers is he talking about?

He doesn't even talk to the suppliers. I think he took the Wachovia's analyst comments and recycled them to generate further controversey. It will very well backfire on him.

manni

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting ATCGOD (Reply 20):
In any rate, it's not for him to say...that should come from Boeing or the suppliers themselves.

Indeed, it not for him to say that. But before we all start pointing our finger to Mr. Leahy we might ask ourself to what question did this serve as an answer?

Reporter: Do you have any knowledge about a possible delay in the 787 program?

Mr. Leahy: "Despite our extensive experience in delaying aircraft programs, we don't have any particular inside knowledge" about the 787 program, Leahy said. "But if you talk with suppliers, most people are talking about up to a six-month delay as a possibility."
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

JAAlbert

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 18):
Randy doesn't go saying crap like "The A350 is a dog and will be six months late."

Say what you will about either of them, but there is a distinction between their mannerisms.

I agree, last week Randy B took heat on a.net over his comment that the 767 was the second best selling widebody ever (which was a true statement). Nowhere in Randy's blog did he make a negative comment about Airbus or its products, yet many in that thread likened him to Leahy. I don't see Randy B making comments like this latest one from Leahy and I don't see why a.netters lump him together with this Leahy character.

ATCGOD

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:24 pm

Quoting Manni (Reply 25):

Reporter: Do you have any knowledge about a possible delay in the 787 program?

Mr. Leahy: "Despite our extensive experience in delaying aircraft programs, we don't have any particular inside knowledge" about the 787 program, Leahy said. "But if you talk with suppliers, most people are talking about up to a six-month delay as a possibility."

His reply should have been: "I'm not in a position to say, I don't work for Boeing or any of their suppliers and for me to comment on that would be inappropriate."

Whether the question has any merit to it or not is irrelevant.

clickhappy

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:26 pm

Well, I think we need to dig a bit deeper with his comments.

What does he mean by a 6 month delay? 6 month delay on EIS? Seems like it would be too early to say at this point? 6 month delay until rollout? Well, rollout is in 4 months, a 6 month delay would push it into 2008, same as if the first flight was delayed.

He also said "up to a 6 month delay" which I guess could also be measured in days.

Pretty odd behavior.

Thankfully Boeing is too busy building airplanes, and making money, to give a rats ass  Wink

EI321

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:34 pm

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 27):
Nowhere in Randy's blog did he make a negative comment about Airbus or its products, yet many in that thread likened him to Leahy

Randy sings the same tune, just does not sing as clearly. He deserved critisism, he compared how the entire 767 order book is something like three times that of the A330-200 but forgot all about the A300 and A310 for whatever reason. I suspect it was to tilt statistics in a certain way. Anyway, its not even worth arguing about cause this thread is getting a bad vibe about it!

Danny

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:41 pm

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 27):
Nowhere in Randy's blog did he make a negative comment about Airbus or its products,

I suggest that you check his archives. Plenty of direct comments on Airbus and its products.

ATCGOD

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:44 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 30):
He deserved critisism, he compared how the entire 767 order book is something like three times that of the A330-200 but forgot all about the A300 and A310 for whatever reason.

It's a spin for the numbers, you're right...

Quoting EI321 (Reply 30):
I suspect it was to tilt statistics in a certain way.

Yep, absolutely. But not a shot at the Airbus product line in any way. Just spinning factual numbers.

coa747

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:46 pm

Thanks I really needed that. It is comical and very sad that Airbus even in the midst of record losses and more losses for 2007 still has the gaul to take cheap shots at Boeing. It must be nice to live in a fantasy world. Bottom line is its bad business and just classless. Um and least we forget the A350 which is already how many years delayed and in its 5th or is it 6th redesign. I think he just can't swallow the fact that they got their ass handed to them by Boeing with the 787. Time to start working, less talk more work. The airlines want to see action out of Airbus and less talk. As they say talk is cheap and so are his comments.

BoomBoom

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:52 pm

Could it be that Mr. Leahy is a bit better informed then just about any airliners.net member? I'd give atleast some credibility to the man's predictions about their OWN products.

He and Airbus lost all crdibility due to the A380 delays.

Quoting Danny (Reply 33):
I suggest that you check his archives. Plenty of direct comments on Airbus and its products.

Why don't you cite some for us?

[Edited 2007-03-13 15:55:07]
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

EvilForce

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:52 pm

I love that Mr. Leahy only needs to make a comment and all the Boeing hens start clucking and squawking. Too funny.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

kappel

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 3):
You'll clearly see 2007 as being the year of the A350," he said.

I wonder if this is supposed to be about the a380, because at first he comments that he expects the a380 to have 200 orders this year, and the following sentence is "You'll clearly see 2007 as being the year of the A350". I think this is a typo and is meant to be "You'll clearly see 2007 as being the year of the A380".
L1011,733,734,73G,738,743,744,752,763,772,77W,DC855,DC863,DC930,DC950,MD11,MD88,306,319,320,321,343,346,ARJ85,CR7,E195

Stitch

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:54 pm

Yes, the "Boeing Boosters" have their knickers in a twist this week with John's comments, but no less so then the "Airbus Aficionados" did last week with Randy's latest blog.

Que sera, sera.

NYC777

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:00 pm

The real question is what Boeing suppliers are talking to Airbus about Boeing's products and schedules? If that were true (and I hardly think it's the case) then Boeing could make have issues with their suppliers and that would threaten business from Boeing. I don't think any supplier is foolish enough to divulge a companies program to a competitor.

That's why John Leahy is so full of s**t. Sometime I wonder if he does this just to see his name on a.net.

[Edited 2007-03-13 16:04:44]

ATCGOD

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 38):
I love that Mr. Leahy only needs to make a comment and all the Boeing hens start clucking and squawking.

First, I'm no Boeing booster. I try to look at things objectively...I think if you stand back and look at these comments you'd have the same opinion that I have.

philb

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting NYC777 (Reply 31):
Quoting EI321 (Reply 26):
How do you know?

Because he's on the marketing end. Why would he talk to suppliers when his job is to sell airplanes to customers not to talk to suppliers which is the job orf the program managers and engineers. And I hardly doubt that Boeing confidentiality agreements with their suppliers would allow them to talk to Airbus about Boeing products, plans or anything else and vice versa. In fact he should be trying to pull Airbus' chestnuts out of the customers fire rather than talking trash about something he know absolutely nothing about.

Well your knowledge about who talks to whom in aviation is about as good as mine on today's weather on a planet in a star system 2200 million light years away.

If you knew anything about the industry you would know that senior marketing men are totally clued up on suppliers, talk to them directly and get feedback from the engineering teams. Its called deep and extended product knowledge.

As for confidentiality agreements, these are generally concerning details of pricing, any items under patent development and of negotiations, not general comments indicative of delays in the supply chain or a hold up in sub assembly production due to developmental problems - the sort of information which spreads like wildfire as workers on the shop floor cannot be bound, gagged and kept at their workplace 24/7.

Stratofortress

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:15 pm

This is in reference to A350-XYZ*7.3^2

"It's no more tentative a program than the 787 is," Leahy said.

This man is delusional!
Forever New Frontiers

coa747

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:17 pm

I love the part in his interview where he talks about how Airbus is going to cover in large part the difference in cost between the old and new version of the A350 to retain customers. I feel like I am watching one of those late night infomercials.

if you act right now and buy within the next 10 minutes we will throw in this brand new A340-500 a 160 million dollar value your's absolutely free. If you don't like the A350 keep the A340 as a gift. There is absolutely nothing to loose and you get to keep the free gift just for trying our A350. If that isn't good enough for the next 50 customers we will thrown in an A380. That is three planes for the price of one. You just can't beat a deal like that. Oh and by the way shipping and handling charges on the A340 aren't included and we don't accept returns.

legoguy

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:27 pm

I think the Boeing 787 will most certainly have delays. They are building a new aircraft using new techniques and problems are bound to pop up along the way. However the delay (if any) could be a matter of days or even months... we can only speculate for the meantime!

Also step back and think... It may not be his place to say but what if Leahy is correct? 6 month delay is a possibility.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

CHRISBA777ER

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:29 pm

He doesnt need to trash talk the 787 - its a total dog and Boeing know it. Hardly anyone has ordered it, the A330/50 is trouncing it in the orderbook, and there is every likelihood it will be several years late. It will be like Chris Moyles doing a decathlon - overweight, uncompetitive and unpopular. Total waste of Boeing's money and airlines that order it will be making a huge mistake. Its just a warmed over 767 really - no real technical advances, and its ugly as well. I wouldnt fly on it if you paid me. No way in hell - complete waste of time.

If it was a semi-decent plane, then perhaps you could understand wanting to put it down though.

Wink
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

Lemurs

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:34 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 51):
He doesnt need to trash talk the 787 - its a total dog and Boeing know it. Hardly anyone has ordered it, the A330/50 is trouncing it in the orderbook, and there is every likelihood it will be several years late. It will be like Chris Moyles doing a decathlon - overweight, uncompetitive and unpopular. Total waste of Boeing's money and airlines that order it will be making a huge mistake. Its just a warmed over 767 really - no real technical advances, and its ugly as well. I wouldnt fly on it if you paid me. No way in hell - complete waste of time.

If it was a semi-decent plane, then perhaps you could understand wanting to put it down though.

I take it the above paragraph is going to go into your curriculum vitæ/résumé once Mr. Leahy gets fired and you apply for the job? I'd hire you.  Smile
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

drexotica

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting Danny (Reply 17):

Classic.

The Airbus boybanders seem to thrive on claiming that Boeing is no different from Airbus; e.g.,

- Leahy and Baesler both being sleazy PR dudes cut from the same fabric, and
- The A380 and the 787 are both being/going to be late,

I don't buy it.

- Randy B is an order of magnitude more classy and dignified that his Airbus counterpart, and
- The 787 has no credible indication of being late, certainly no where near on par with the astounding, unprecedented, two year late A380 delay.

As for raw engineering abilities, quality of planes, etc. being equal; from what I've observed, I also don't buy it.
N707PA - Best looking commercial aircraft ever.

ikramerica

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 16):
Which suppliers could he be talking about? Which suppliers do Airbus and Boeing share?

Any joint supplier would be contractually obligated not to tell John Leahy anything about the 787 program.

So if he's claiming multiple suppliers are telling him secrets, either Boeing has a problem with bad suppliers not only delivering things late but breaking confidentiality agreements, or John Leahy is full of shit.

You make the call.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

andessmf

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:48 pm

Wow...

Mr. Leahy needs to change his eating habits...

Sounds like too many sour grapes for breakfast.

AirSpare

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:54 pm

Has anyone here read the WB news letter? It was a ok piece of research. But it's months old now.

Fair use excerpt:

Two red flags from the call: 1.The fact that Boeing is not only having issues with
Mitsubishi, but also Kawasaki and Fuji Heavy Industries. Kawasaki is singularly
responsible for the delay of EMBRAER’s ERJ-190 due to the same development
issues that Boeing is experiencing with them.

B has put a lot of resurces into preventing a delay, it still may happen but if it's a few weeks/months late, is that hyper critical? B knows they are going down to the wire to deliver it on time. We have not heard any news of "target" or "spec" weights?

A blew it on the 350, TAM and some others are going to get a great price, but John and Randy's comments are for the press, they both could do better to talk less.
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

airfrnt

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:55 pm

Not really. I defy you to find a single large prediction that he was right about over the last three years. The 787 has squashed Airbus's competition (Remember the Chinese Copy line?), the 787 has proven out margin wise (remember that no carriers would buy the 787 because Boeing had to spend 8 billion to develop it?), remember that the 332 would knock it out of the sky (the 332 hasn't won a single order that it actually competed head to head - ie, a new fleet purchase instead of a expansion of a old plane), or that Leahy would sell 20 A380's each of the last three years (they are +1 for the three year period), etc.

Yep. These companies are going to get great deals, and Airbus will eat the cost on already discounted frames before the new ones. I think that should make the first 100 frames a breeze. It's after that when Airbus has to compete with a already in service 787 that they are going to have more problems.

Quoting Keesje (Reply 34):

A new a.net myth in the making?

Not really. I never saw Randy predict schedule problems for the A380 in a FUD campaign.

Let Airbus get their own plane out (and only two years late) before they start throwing stones at Boeing. Especially given that Boeing has a far better track record, even before the A380, of delivering on time. The 787 may end up being late, but it's already a runaway commercial success, which is far more then one can say of the 420 planes in the hole albatross around Airbus's neck.

[Edited 2007-03-13 17:12:18]

BlueSky1976

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:02 am

Leahy is a loud mouth. Do we need to drag out all his past comments about the Dreamliner?

Rule #1: Never listen to the salesman.
Rule #2: See Rule #1.

Both Baseler and Leahy are known for taking cheap shots at each other's products. It's sooo... American!

Leahy called the A350, Airbus' challenge to the new Boeing jet, a "world airplane," because, like the 787, it will be built in large sections around the globe. And he predicted his plane will have at least 200 orders by year-end.

...and there's that "200 before year end" thing again. Haven't they learned anything??? Jeez...

[Edited 2007-03-13 17:05:58]
POLAND IS UNDER DICTATORSHIP. PLEASE SUPPORT COMMITTEE FOR DEFENSE OF DEMOCRACY, K.O.D.