RICARIZA
Topic Author

Air China Partners With Avianca

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:56 am

Air China, the only Chinese airline to serve South America, has now added broad cooperation with leading South American carrier Avianca. The two airlines have recently signed a special prorate agreement ("SPA"), enabling Air China to offer customers connecting itineraries between China and South America at market-leading fares.

Only four months ago Air China launched its Boeing 767 service from Beijing to Sao Paulo, Brazil, via Madrid, initiating the first direct service between China and South America. This Avianca agreement underscores Air China's commitment to South America and showcases Air China's efforts to build a global network that is both attractive to passengers and emblematic of China's growing role in world trade and tourism.

"We are pleased to announce this agreement with such a high-quality South American airline as Avianca," said Mrs. Zhang Lan, Senior Vice President for Air China. "Avianca's leadership in the Americas is a wonderful complement to our direct service to Brazil, and our two airlines will find numerous ways to cooperate and serve passengers."

Source:http://www.airchina.com.cn/index.jsp
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

LHStarAlliance

RE: Air China Partners With Avianca

Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:00 am

Maybe a sign for a future *A membership ...

[Edited 2007-03-14 19:01:21]
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:02 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 1):

Why? AFAIK Air China is not a member of the *A...

LHStarAlliance

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:04 am

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 2):

Why? AFAIK Air China is not a member of the *A...

It will join *A
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

jimyvr

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:07 am

No big deal.

It is pretty much like interline but the fare structure is also cooperated.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

SKY1

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting RICARIZA (Thread starter):
our two airlines will find numerous ways to cooperate and serve passengers

Interesting movement!

It makes more sense connecting pax via MAD --a point served by both, Avianca and Air China-- than flying BOG-GRU-MAD-PEK.
Time flies! Enjoy life!

Summa767

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:37 am

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Ricardo.
This is probably one of a few strategic moves by AV. We should see more soon, no doubt

Quoting SKY1 (Reply 5):
It makes more sense connecting pax via MAD --a point served by both, Avianca and Air China-- than flying BOG-GRU-MAD-PEK.

Indeed!

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 4):
No big deal.

It is pretty much like interline but the fare structure is also cooperated.

If it facilitates mobility then this is very important for business between China and Colombia.

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 1):

This would not surprise me. There have been reports of Star Alliance talking to both Aerolineas Argentinas and Avianca, and so have a presence in South America.

jimyvr

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:49 am

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 6):
If it facilitates mobility then this is very important for business between China and Colombia.

However, this is just an ordinary cooperation between airlines, like Aerosvit and American Airlines, which announced few weeks ago It doesn't really mean anything, just providing convenient connection and some savings to the passengers.

Don't know why people are making this a big deal when the cooperation haven't intensify.

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 3):
It will join *A

Thank you...

Quoting SKY1 (Reply 5):

Definitely

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 6):
This would not surprise me. There have been reports of Star Alliance talking to both Aerolineas Argentinas and Avianca,

Really? I thought AV was closer to One World

kiwiandrew

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:25 am

sorry to disappoint , but SPA's are used between large numbers of airlines regardless of alliance affiliation - I think that people are reading way too much into a normal low level commercial agreement

Summa767

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 8):
Really? I thought AV was closer to One World

Well, maybe they are flirting with more than one.

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 9):
sorry to disappoint , but SPA's are used between large numbers of airlines regardless of alliance affiliation

The report was in the British newspaper The Independent http://travel.independent.co.uk/news_and_advice/article2187971.ece so the Star Alliance possibilities are not being deduced from the Air China connection, that remains positive news for connectiong two countries on opposite sides if the world.

jimyvr

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:18 am

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 10):
The report was in the British newspaper The Independent http://travel.independent.co.uk/news_and_advice/article2187971.ece so the Star Alliance possibilities are not being deduced from the Air China connection, that remains positive news for connectiong two countries on opposite sides if the world.

Although it remains a positive news, but one should not over-analyze this at this stage because it's just a rate agreement.

For instance, instead of getting PEK - MAD on CA for let's say USD1500 and MAD - BOG on AV for USD1000, the new agreement will allow passenger to fly PEK -MAD on CA for $1500 and MAD-BOG as add-on on AV for additional $699
under the agreement.

The Star Alliance connection really have nothing to do with this.

Use the American - Aerosvit Spa/interline deal, does this mean Aerosvit now have connection to join oneWorld? No.

XA744

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:50 am

Ricardo, Any idea of how big the market is between Colombia and China ? What´s the potential ?

It would be interesting to know how much the Chinese are investing in Colombia nowadays, and what are the trade figures between the two countries.

Best regards
No matter how you fly...just never get your wings clipped !

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:38 pm

Quoting XA744 (Reply 12):
Ricardo, Any idea of how big the market is between Colombia and China ?

Well, yes Horacio, the trade between Colombia and China have been growing amazingly in the last five years. I mean, in 2001 the trade between both countries were about less than US$500 million, and now it is over three billion (US$).
Colombia exports to China are over US$400 million must of it is petroleum derivatives and ferro-nikel and other metals, but lately there has been an increase in leather, plantains and bananas and other produce, flowers, coffee, all sorts of candies and fine chocolates and fine textiles as well.

The main Chinese investments in Colombia are factories like motorcycle assembly (JINCOL), telecom equipment (Huawei Technologies) and several more companies of information technology (Gran Dragon, etc.).

One can't forget that China is the second largest export market for Chile and Peru and the third for Brazil. Lat-Am is China's main supplier of several products: fish meal, grapes, nickel, sugar, copper, soy, iron, wood and many others that I can't recall now but these imports from Lat-Am countries are more than US$30 billion each year.

So, as you can see, there is a lot of market for Colombian products and Colombia is strengthening its ports on the pacific and the highways that connect these ports with the zones in the country where produce are harvested, precisely because of these possibilities.

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 11):
one should not over-analyze this at this stage because it's just a rate agreement.

Yes, but it also means opening doors to a increasing tourism and trade from China.

News travel fast:

http://www.chinahospitalitynews.com/...a-partners-with-colombias-avianca/

http://www.genengnews.com/news/bnitem.aspx?name=14234927

http://www.eltiempo.com/economia/200...ULO-WEB-NOTA_INTERIOR-3476455.html

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:53 pm

AV started already to put it in good use:

AV is promoting the fair in Canton China in April and is offering a package (all Inclusive). Some legs on this trip are also with SQ which make me think that AV could be getting closer to *A as it was posted by LHStarAlliance.

jimyvr

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:59 pm

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 14):

Yes, but it also means opening doors to a increasing tourism and trade from China.

Sorry, I still don't know what's the big fuzz when I first saw the news, and why are people making a simple SPA agreement a BIG deal when it comes to the airlines perspective.

777jaah

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:09 am

Although I feel this is a nice move by AV, I don't think how much pax traffic can be between Colombia and China. And there's much faster ways to get to China than going thru MAD. I think can benefit more from Chinese traffic coming into places like Venezuela, where trade and investments from China are really booming these days.

JAAH
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

MCOflyer

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 15):

Agreed completely. AV and Air China should join the *Alliance. It would be a great relationship and offer many possibilities for connections.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 16):
Sorry, I still don't know what's the big fuzz

I know.. I know.. it doesn't deserve too much fuzz, I agree, if this would have happened with a European airline for example we might not even be talking about it, but it is somehow important to see AV spreading its wings to destinations never taken into consideration before like China.. thats all.

jimyvr

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:55 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 18):
Air China should join the *Alliance

It'll happen sometime this year.

XA744

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:54 am

Ricardo, thank you very much for the comprehensive update.

No matter what, I believe Avianca and Air China are paving the way for additional and fruitful business opportunities between Colombia and China.

Best regards

a300aa

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:03 am

Thats not a big deal.......

Theres not too much pax trafic between both countries.
Just bla bla..

XA744

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting A300AA (Reply 22):
Theres not too much pax trafic between both countries.

Well, kindly allow me to say that you may be right for now. However, you will be quite wrong in the very near future.

Best regards

kiwiandrew

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:40 pm

***Apology- going off topic at a tangent here***

While I don't necessarily believe that there is anything significant in this story , AV membership of *A would have a nice sort of historical symmetry to it as SCADTA ( AV's predecessor ) was set up originally with a large amount of German investment - so it would take AV full circle to end up in an alliance with LH ..... but I am not going to hold my breath

Lu

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:53 pm

Political movement. Air China will lose money.

WesternA318

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:15 pm

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 19):
but it is somehow important to see AV spreading its wings to destinations never taken into consideration before like China

bigthumbsup  Always good to see my favorite existing South American airline spreading its wings, even if only in paper form...

Quoting Lu (Reply 25):
Political movement. Air China will lose money.

...and this is based upon what source?
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

Summa767

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:09 pm

It is not just through MAD that this agreement will work, but also through New York and Los Angeles, according to Avianca.
If London does happen for AV, then that is another point where travellers between the 2 countries can connect.

Lu

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:12 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 26):

...and this is based upon what source?
Based on traditional china's big government-controlled company's system.

WesternA318

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:12 pm

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 27):
If London does happen for AV, then that is another point where travellers between the 2 countries can connect

Didnt AV already serve London?
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 29):
Didnt AV already serve London?

Not in the modern Avianca. It has been announced that it should start anytime this quarter, but no news yet.