707atDc8
Topic Author

Airlines With Foreign Born Flight & Cabin Crews

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:24 am

Hi there, I'm new to Airliners.Net !!, so I'm thinking this question has probably been asked before !! but here goes ..

Which airlines have the highest percentage of foreign born Flight and Cabin crews (not native to the airlines base country of operations) working for them ??, and is it as I suspect, only airlines with lot's of money !?!.. And that they tend to hire more English speaking Caucasian boys n girls than any other race ?!?!.. "Politically Incorrect" question I know, but it's an honest one.

gh123

RE: Airlines With Foreign Born Flight & Cabin Crews

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:32 am

Emirates I think would be your No. 1 answer. They have, I believe the most international cabin and flight crew in the world and they are all based in Dubai.

1stfl94

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:47 am

Most the Middle Eastern carriers, EK, EY,QR, SV and GF hire a wide variety of crews, not just Westerners but also a lot from India and SE Asia.

iclcy

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:53 am

The Gulf based carriers, will indeed have the most non national employees.

With a little bit of research you will find the likes of EY, QR, EK hold recruitment days in Asia, Africa, South America, Australasia/Pacific, Europe, etc.

These airlines are restricted for male to female F/A ratio's. I remember reading somewhere that 70% had to be female - due to the fact that females in the Gulf nations are not allowed to work & the remaining 30% male recruits had to be home base heavy, though the fact that not many national males apply for f/a jobs mean they can recruit male f/a's from virtually any continent.

The Gulf based airlines also offer a tax free basic salary of around $24,000 a year plus living accom(shared). Which is very attractive to those that come from countries where that kind of wage is unobtainable to the general populace.

JDAirCEO

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:30 am

Somewhat off topic, but still relative...

Most large international carriers, including USA legacy carriers, have at least one base over-seas that are made up of crews from that country.

eg: AA has a very large crew base at EZE. They crew almost all MIA-EZE, EZE-MVD, and mix with other base's crew on flights to other cities.
An MD-80 is great... in first class

707atDc8
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:42 am

Thanks guys !!, kinda had an idea the talent would follow the money, and if there's one thing our friends in the Mid-East have, it's lot's of flat land for Airports and Cash to stock them with..

LTU932

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:45 am

From reading a T/R here, FR seems to have a very international flight and cabin crew roster.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

707atDc8
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:55 am

Yeah LTU932, but I doubt very much if the money is the same, after all, part of the Come-on offered by the Mid-east guys is Tax-free / low tax on the income.

LTU932

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:59 am

Quoting 707atDc8 (Reply 7):
Yeah LTU932, but I doubt very much if the money is the same, after all, part of the Come-on offered by the Mid-east guys is Tax-free / low tax on the income.

True, but you didn't specify a region where airlines might hire foreign crew, so I my response was more general.

EDIT: I just now realised that you are the thread starter.

[Edited 2007-03-15 02:00:40]
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

707atDc8
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:07 am

You are correct in a general way LTU932 !! however i did say

Quoting 707atDc8 (Thread starter):

Quoting 707atDc8 (Thread starter):
and is it as I suspect, only airlines with lot's of money !?!..

and i just know there's way more money behind Mid-east operators, than there is behind FR....

LTU932

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:10 am

Quoting 707atDc8 (Reply 9):
and i just know there's way more money behind Mid-east operators, than there is behind FR....

I missed that. My apologies.

JAGflyer

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:22 am

Most CX pilots I have heard are British. My dad says it has to do with the previous British occupation/control of HK.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

707atDc8
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:04 am

Thanks JAGflyer, that was another answer I was looking for, It's a funny thing, but I've noticed over the years, what Airline management know only to well, And it's that most passengers respond Very-well, to a very British accent coming from the Cockpit...

VC10DC10

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:04 am

Quoting 707atDc8 (Reply 12):
I've noticed over the years, what Airline management know only to well, And it's that most passengers respond Very-well, to a very British accent coming from the Cockpit...

Something about a national history of flying Hurricanes and Spitfires... certainly inspires confidence!  Cool

FURUREFA

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:20 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 11):
Most CX pilots I have heard are British. My dad says it has to do with the previous British occupation/control of HK.

It probably also has to do with the fact that the Swire Group (which owns CX) is headquartered in London.

Matt

VC10DC10

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:48 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 11):
My dad says it has to do with the previous British occupation/control of HK.

Well, to be more accurate, Hong Kong was a Crown colony of the United Kingdom, and a fairly happy colony too.

Not only do the Hong Kong airlines draw on British pilots, it's also possible, I suppose, that some of those "British" accents might be from Australia or New Zealand as well. (And, let's not forget how many people born overseas study in Britain at some point and might have their English accented by their exposure to the U.K. that way).

Fly2CHC

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:38 pm

Singapore Airlines have a large amount of Malaysian and foreign tech crew and cabin crew.

Generally, airlines of small nations generally need to go overseas to find sufficient crew numbers. E.g. Air Pacific for tech crew and other South Pacific airlines.

[Edited 2007-03-15 11:43:08]

ha763

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:15 am

Japan also has a lot of foreign pilots. Not always for mainline operations, but for the many subsidiary airlines they have. They are provided to the airlines from crew leasing companies. JALways is almost 100% foreign pilots, with about 98% being from the U.S and having a pilot base at HNL. JALways flight attendants are also amost 100% Thai and are based at BKK. The ANA Group also has foreign pilots for many of their subsidary airlines. Some of the airlines include Air Nippon Network, Air Japan, Air Next, and Air Nippon.

MCOflyer

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:23 am

I've heard BA has american pilots. Is this true?

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Baron52ta

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:59 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 18):

It is very true, mostly on T/A flights but there are a couple with DBA too but they fly on CAA/JAA licenses not FAA.

iairallie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:33 pm

Quoting JDAirCEO (Reply 4):
eg: AA has a very large crew base at EZE. They crew almost all MIA-EZE, EZE-MVD, and mix with other base's crew on flights to other cities.

Actually the South American AA flight attendant crews do not mix with the actual AA crews they are not members of the AA union APFA so there are contractual constraints on how they are utilized.

Emirates does not pay well compared to many American, Canadian, and Brittish carriers. People from those countries that chose to work for EK usually choose to go there for reasons other than compensation like the type of flying, adventure of living overseas and for the experience of working with a company that has a world class reputation. They do have probably the most foreign nationals though. Given my experience as a passenger on EK there is not a preference for Caucasians. Their crews are quite diverse.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

edina

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:13 pm

Quoting Baron52ta (Reply 19):
Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 18):

It is very true, mostly on T/A flights but there are a couple with DBA too but they fly on CAA/JAA licenses not FAA.

There is a very small handful of North American pilots , however they will all be EU citizens (by family/marriage). There are no pilots that are specifically assigned to transtalantic, simply put, if a pilot is licenced on the 777 they fly everywhere the 777 does.....the schedules are not route restricted.
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

COSPN

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:16 pm

OZ and KE have many non Korean Pilots

kevi747

Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:57 pm

Quoting JDAirCEO (Reply 4):

We also have foriegn nationals based in BOG, LIM, and SCL.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 20):
Actually the South American AA flight attendant crews do not mix with the actual AA crews they are not members of the AA union APFA so there are contractual constraints on how they are utilized.

That's true.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

mtsubshe

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:34 pm

it could definetely be emirates, if you board an emirates flight, you could see at least 6-7crews from different countries,also they announce on the pa that they have crews speaking different languages.

Gr8Circle

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting Fly2CHC (Reply 16):
Singapore Airlines have a large amount of Malaysian and foreign tech crew and cabin crew.

During the 70's and 80's, a lot of AI pilots and engineers were lured by SQ.....don't know how it is today.....

Currently, due to the aviation boom in India and the resulting shortage of pilots, a lot of foreign pilots are flying, mostly on contract, with Indian carriers....

AI had a policy of having at least one Japanese FA on their flights to NRT, right up to the 90's....don't know if they still do it....not flown on that route for a long time.... smile 

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos