exitrowaisle

F/A Scheduling On "Express" Airlines

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:16 am

If you're a flight attendant for an airline like Chautauqua or Mesa, which has contracts with several different airlines (i.e. USAirways, Continental, etc.) , can the airline move you around the different affiliates, like working USAirways Express flights one week, Continental Express another week, etc., or do you stay only within one airline's network? Are you trained to work for all of them? Just curious.

S5FA170

RE: F/A Scheduling On "Express" Airlines

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:25 am

At Republic Airways Holdings, our base determines which codeshares we fly for. For instance, when I worked at Shuttle America, my base flew for both United Express and Delta Connection. The pairings (or trips) were built specific to a codeshare. For example, on a four-day trip, as a lineholder, you did not switch between codeshares. The entire trip was flown as either Delta Connection or United Express. (The only time I ever flew both, as a lineholder, in one trip was during the Christmas Blizzard in Denver. I was rescheduled into the Delta system because I couldn't fly my trip for United).

At all three of our airlines, our initial training programs focus mostly on aircraft and safety procedures. Catering and service is taught at the end of training and a lot of the codeshare specific training is received during your Operating Experience, on the line.

The airline is free to reschedule us per our contract, and the flight attendants who would do the most switching back and forth between codeshares in the middle of a trip are reserve flight attendants. Lineholders are not as easily rescheduled, and the pairings we bid on and are awarded are, like I said, codeshare specific.

You can bid your line (schedule) to include multiple codeshares. At Shuttle America I typically bid for one or two Delta Connection four-day trips and several other United Express two-days (those were generally higher credit-hour trips) to allow me to maximize my days off.

From what I know at Mesa, your base also determines which codeshares you fly for, and their trips are built code-share specific, as well.

I hope this helps!
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

AirTranTUS

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting S5FA170 (Reply 1):
For instance, when I worked at Shuttle America, my base flew for both United Express and Delta Connection.

Would it ever be a problem for F/A's to get confused with different airline's catering? For example, UA's procedure of no snacks on flights less than 759 miles or so compared to DL's offering snack items (Sun Chips, etc.). If an F/A were to be flying both codeshares could they get confused and announce a snack service on a UAex flight (or announce no service on a DLC flight)? That would be until they looked in the galley and saw food or didn't see food and would have to correct themselves.
I love ASO!

Cory6188

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:48 am

Or what about uniforms? Most airlines like to have consistency in employee appearance between mainline and regional carriers; does that mean that you have multiple different uniforms you wear depending on the airline you're flying for that day?

S5FA170

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:55 am

At Republic airways Holdings, the only uniform pieces we have that are specific to a certain codeshare are United ties and scarves for Shuttle America and Chautauqua flight attendants working those flights, and certain American uniform pieces for our Chauatauqua flight attendants based in St. Louis, which does the American flying.

Otherwise, all flight attendants where our standard uniform, which is the same as USAirways (East).

As for the snacks, its pretty hard to mix up the United and Delta level of service. The catering is completely different and located in different areas.

The biggest problem I saw on the line was flight attendants announcing the wrong codeshare partner. "We'd like to thank you for flying United Expr...... I mean..... Delta Connection operated by Shuttle America and we look forward to serving you on a future flight."

It happens. I only ever made that mistake one time. I announced Delta Connection on the taxi-in announcement insted of United Express and it was THREE DAYS before I left Shuttle America to transfer to Republic. I almost made it out of there without making that mistake - I was so mad at myself!
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos