SRforever
Topic Author

How Did He Find Out The Registrations?

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:00 am

howzit

looking at this picture I'm really wondering how it's possible to find out the registrations?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Axel Fabeck

regards
mark

Curmudgeon

RE: How Did He Find Out The Registrations?

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:05 am

He took the shot, then called up each of the aircraft on company frequency and asked. That, or he knew already.
Jets are for kids

gunsontheroof

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:09 am

It's also possible that the photographer took the shot, checked airline schedules, flight trackers or enroute frequencies to determine which flight they were looking, at and then got the regs from insiders who work for the carriers. Telescopic vision is also a possibility.

Curmudgeon

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:56 am

The photo credits state he's an EK pilot, and these are all EK airplanes-what could be easier?
Jets are for kids

SkyexRamper

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting Curmudgeon (Reply 3):
The photo credits state he's an EK pilot, and these are all EK airplanes-what could be easier?

Quoting SRforever (Thread starter):
looking at this picture I'm really wondering how it's possible to find out the registrations?

Generally the same planes run the same routes every time so it would be easy to assume the registrations.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

gunsontheroof

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 4):
Generally the same planes run the same routes every time so it would be easy to assume the registrations.

I'm no insider, but I don't think that's correct. Especially not on long-haul flights.

awthompson

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:58 am

There are many ways that the registrations could have been found and here are most of them.

On the original full resolution file, the registration of the higher of the two planes (B777-200) is likely to have been easily readable on the actual shot!

With ACARS it is relatively easy to find the registrations of flights.

It is possible to get lists of movements with registrations for many EK destination airports.

As already stated, the photographer was on board an Emirates flight. He could have noted the registrations of those aircraft on the ground as they may all have departed Dubai within quick succession, and if they were all routing towards Dubai, then all three would have landed within reasonably quick succession.

Indeed the crew may have been in communication over a company frequency and noted the registrations there and then.

If the photographer was a member of staff of Emirates, again it would have been easy to look up Emirates or Dubai Airport internal documents or intranet.

Registrations can be ascertained easily from Selcal codes used on HF radio.

EGBJ

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:40 pm

.....or he could have just guessed  duck 

Olympus69

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:08 am

It wouldn't have been all that difficult for the photo to have been set up in advance. The nearer plane could be positioned and would match speed with the lower one; then the upper one would approach slowly from behind. The photographer would then take a series of photos as the plane passed through the desired position, and select the best one.

He presumably knew in advance that there was a place where all three flights came together to make such a shot possible. I doubt if it was just coincidence.

noelg

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:16 am

It's actually really easy.

At the time there was only one Emirates 747 flying, N408MC. One solved. The second one the registration is clearly visible, even at that resolution. I saw A6-EML on the photo before I read the notes!

SRforever
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:32 pm

thanks for all the replies. things seem to make sense now  Wink