Braybuddy
Topic Author

Overhead Bins Creaking On Takeoff And Landing

Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:03 am

I've been flying for over 30 years, but only recently have noticed that on widebodies the overhead bins creak on takeoff and landing. Not surprising when you consider the stresses on the airframe, but have any other a.netters noticed this?

deltagator

RE: Overhead Bins Creaking On Takeoff And Landing

Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:20 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Thread starter):
have any other a.netters noticed this?

It was my favorite thing about the L-1011s when they were flying for Eastern and Delta. They creaked and moaned on takeoff like a $10 hooker and it was great.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

phelpsie87

Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:38 am

I have noticed the bins over the middle sections moving side to side, or up and down during takeoff/landing and turbulence. Doesn't surprise me when I hear the creaking though. Its like anything, a creak in the floor your car, or your body haha.

VHXLR8

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:08 pm

The fun really starts when they actually OPEN on takeoff or landing (767s and 747s epsecially). You end up spending the rest of the takeoff roll and early stages of climb watching that bag just 'edging' closer and closer to the edge, and all you can do is hope it doesn't fall on that small child or elderly person's head.
Similarly, whilst it's always nice that a passenger makes the effort to get up and close it; it's not too great when they get up whilst the aircraft is literally touching down!

n229nw

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:12 pm

on the 747-100 and -200 series especially the bins over the center seats used to shudder and moan on takeoff and landing (and during turbulence), I don't remember it happening much on newer aircraft,,,
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

HAWK21M

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:37 pm

Remember the Sidewalls & overhead bins are attached to the Bulkheads.As the Aircraft sways.The play increases & on older Aircraft a creaking sound could be heard.Its not that the Aircraft structure is creaking.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting N229NW (Reply 4):
on the 747-100 and -200 series especially the bins over the center seats used to shudder and moan on takeoff and landing (and during turbulence), I don't remember it happening much on newer aircraft,,,

Oh yes it does! I'm not talking about the movement and rattlling that you hear on the take-off roll. I'm talking about a gradual, gentle creaking sound as the wings take over and lift the aircraft off the ground. You have to listen hard to hear it.

GCDEG

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:24 pm

I've been flying for over 30 years, but only recently have noticed that on widebodies the overhead bins creak on takeoff and landing. Not surprising when you consider the stresses on the airframe, but have any other a.netters noticed this?

Very true. I noticed this when operating a positioning flight in our B737-800. The cabin of course was empty and I was sitting at the overwings. You notice it a lot more if you sit in the middle I think. You hear the creaking and moaning of the lockers quite loudly. Quite weird.

Nick
The best thing invented - Winglets!

BrianDromey

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting GCDEG (Reply 7):
Very true. I noticed this when operating a positioning flight in our B737-800.

Yes Ive noticed this also on FRs 738's. I've not noticed it on 737 classics or on A32X, so I think it must be a characteristic of the aircraft. I thought it might have been the way in which the overhead lockers are mounted on the airframe? Maybe washers are being compressed or something like that?

Intereting that you noticed it in the middle of the aircraft....Ive heard it all over.

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

Rheinbote

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Can be noticed at the moment the trailing edge flaps go to fully deployed on final approach, which icreases the nose-down moment of the wing by quite a margin. This needs to be compensated for by increased download on the horizontal stab to keep the planes's nose trimmed level/high. This in turn excerts a strong bending moment on the fuselage elongating it along its spine, where the overhead bins are mounted. This makes them crackle and creak.

[Edited 2007-03-17 15:44:47]

persotvik

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:02 am

I have also experienced this on A340-200/300's and as well on TG's B747-300.
Just love flying

MCOflyer

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 8):
I've not noticed it on 737 classics

Same here. I've never heard of this happening. Overhead bins opening on the 757 is something I've witnessed first hand.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

QXatFAT

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:28 am

I have noticed this on all my flights. It has become second nature to not pay attention to it over the years. The aircraft I have seen it worse on a RG 737-500 I believe it was. It was on my flight from MAO to BVB and we hit a bit of terbulance on aproach and the bins were bouncing and and swaying. When we touched down and were putting on reverse thrusters the bins looked like they were all going to fall down! About 6 popped open and bags fell.
Don't Tread On Me!

qslinger

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:34 am

The first time I flew Indian Airlines A300 craft, I noticed this. I was 9yrs old (1985) and man seeing the overhead bin shake and make sounds made me think that we were going to crash for sure..

It was very disturbing...thats one of the reason I would never sit in the middle seats, just the fear that it might just break off and fall on my head.
Raj Koona

nzrich

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:42 am

We used to have a plane in our fleet that was exceptionally bad even the toilets used to shake on takeoff and landing..It used ro an ex Ansett Australia 767-200er reg in NZ colours was ZK-NBA .. Now that was a true experience especially overwing on my first flight on that bird i thought the toilets were going to fall down on our crew seats..
"Pride of the pacific"

leamside

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 1):
. . . moaned . . . like a $10 hooker and it was great.

Are we talking about the plane or the lady for hire?  wink 

renfnl

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:44 am

I notice on every flight that the raft compartments in the ceiling of the 738 creak and moan like crazy...I always walk a little faster under those, they sound like they are going to pop open.

luke7e7

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:58 am

Often on the 767. Once flying back from Europe, I got smacked in the head with the TV projector that opened by itself during touchdown.Funny situation, the whole crew apologized for the incident.

MEACEDAR

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:38 am

I was flying MP from AMS-MCO about 2 years ago...and shortly after take off all the bins throughout the plane instantly opened and a couple of bags fell, including this guys laptop that was seating infront of me. He was pissed. It was awkward, there was litte turbulence but not so much that all the over head cabins would fall.

Damn was it scary.

MCOflyer

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:48 am

Quoting Luke7e7 (Reply 17):
I got smacked in the head with the TV projector that opened by itself during touchdown

Thats too funny.

I had to sit upfront on US 757 right by the lav (2L) and I got hit by a bag that was stored in the row fore of me when we landed at MCO. I had a headache for the rest of the night.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

toering

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:55 am

Last year we were departing ORD on a UAL 777 in heavy winds, and as we banked to the left, the whole plane shook and twisted. Bins were creaking and twisting, it was rather violent inside the aircraft. I have never seen that before, and I hope I never see it again. The middle bins looked as if the were going one way and the plane the other, almost as if they were attached by springs. One of the bins opened and a FA was real quick to stand and gracefully shut the bin with one hand. I'll remember that flight for a long time.

We're Nuts

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:59 am

It's not surprising considering what you guys try to cram in there. They do come with weight limits, you know.
Dear moderators: No.

SWALoveField

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:00 am

I miss the 737-200s out of DAL on WN.

Those overhead bins would rattle, shake, creak, moan - You name it!

It added a bit a fun to every takeoff and landing.

Robb
Dallas, TX

katwspotter

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:01 am

t was my favorite thing about the L-1011s when they were flying for Eastern and Delta. They creaked and moaned on takeoff like a $10 hooker and it was great.

LMAO...nice analogy.  rotfl 
A/C I have worked in ATW - SF340 E145 CRJ2/7/9 DC93/4/5 A319/20 MD83 B738 B752/3 B763/4 A333

AsstChiefMark

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:06 am

I've always wondered why bins spring open. I'd think that would be one hell of a safety issue and liability risk. Can't the manufacturers build better latching mechanisms?
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

We're Nuts

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 24):
I've always wondered why bins spring open. I'd think that would be one hell of a safety issue and liability risk. Can't the manufacturers build better latching mechanisms?

The springs just get worn out and need replacing eventually. We'd all love a better mousetrap, but why bother?
Dear moderators: No.

nzrich

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:28 am

The doors on the overhead bins on the sides of the aircraft that we had were always opening must of been the worst locks of any aircraft.. The doors on the lockers of our 733 are great even quite a few passengers can not open them.. I love it when the huge body builders come on and cant open them ..Then i come along and it opens easy!!!! Especially as im slim i always make a comment you just need to use a bit of muscle !!!
"Pride of the pacific"

GCDEG

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:37 am

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 26):
The doors on the lockers of our 733 are great even quite a few passengers can not open them.. I love it when the huge body builders come on and cant open them ..Then i come along and it opens easy!!!! Especially as im slim i always make a comment you just need to use a bit of muscle !!!

LOL. I know exactly what you mean Nzrich. It's the same with our 733's lockers. Passengers will struggle, pushing and panting trying to get the locker open and eventually they'll just give up and sit back down. Then I'll come along to get something out of the locker, push it open first time and they'll just stare at you!! Funny how the same thing happens on the other side of the world too. hehe

Nick
The best thing invented - Winglets!

dambuster

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:40 am

That's nothing new, IMO one of the aspects that has the least been taken care of is the noise of interior components (like the overhead bins in airplanes) or other plastic parts in cars... I know it's no black magic to build parts that don't make noise, I just wonder why car/aircraft makers never care about it... I'm guessing it's because no one ever cares about it. Maybe I'm wrong though. Please correct me if so.

nzrich

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting GCDEG (Reply 27):
LOL. I know exactly what you mean Nzrich. It's the same with our 733's lockers. Passengers will struggle, pushing and panting trying to get the locker open and eventually they'll just give up and sit back down. Then I'll come along to get something out of the locker, push it open first time and they'll just stare at you!! Funny how the same thing happens on the other side of the world too. heheNick

Well Nick

We must have the same lockers !!!
Always makes me smile seeing people getting frustrated trying to open a locker..Then you come along and it opens so easily

Rich

hehe
"Pride of the pacific"

srbmod

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:40 am

I was on a Ryan International flight (Operating for AirTran) back in April of 2004 flying ATL-LAS on an A320, and when we landed at LAS, once the thrust reversers were engaged, the overhead bins started to shake, rattle, and creak. I thought the damn things were going to fall from the ceiling.

lorgem1

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:50 am

When AC ran L-1011's to the Carribean, the bins sqeaked so much my kids panicked and they were realitivly new then. However when I travelled on the YYZ-LHR-BOM-SIN route years later I did not hear them so much.  Sad

PYP757

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:00 am

Most definitely yes. The worst case was aboard an A330, Air France, taking off JFK bound for CDG.

cio666

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:12 am

I was surprised at how much the overhead bins moved around and creaked at take off and landing when flying on one of NZ 's new 777s ( ZK-DKD I believe). The center overheads especially were visibly swaying at rotation and touchdown.

CaptainJon

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:15 am

Quoting VHXLR8 (Reply 3):
The fun really starts when they actually OPEN on takeoff or landing (767s and 747s epsecially). You end up spending the rest of the takeoff roll and early stages of climb watching that bag just 'edging' closer and closer to the edge, and all you can do is hope it doesn't fall on that small child or elderly person's head.
Similarly, whilst it's always nice that a passenger makes the effort to get up and close it; it's not too great when they get up whilst the aircraft is literally touching down!

now im glad i always insist on window. last time i sat aisle (only bc the people next to me refused to get up, my ticket was marked window) and the trolley rammed into me, causing me to spill my drink all over me. the steward not only didnt realise, it hurt like hell too!!

ImperialEagle

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:32 am

It was my favorite thing about the L-1011s

LMAO Isn't that the truth! Thats the first thing I thought of when I read the opening topic!
Occasionally it was bad enough squeaking that I observed F/A's stuffing pieces of cardboard in between the cracks to try and stop it.  laughing 
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:37 am

This happened on my flight yesterday while landing in ATL (767-300 from TPA), and we had a heck of a landing during a bitch of a crosswind. The guy was struggling to stand up straight and get back into his seat.

Last summer, the bin above me opened during the takeoff roll in a CRJ-900. Fortunately, being 6'4, I was able to reach up and close the bin without even having to undo my seatbelt, yet alone stand-up. The F/A later thanked me as she walked by.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Aeroflot777

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:52 am

and all you can do is hope it doesn't fall on that small child or elderly person's head.

In that case, I would quickly stand up and lock it. A few seconds of standing during take-off or landing is worth the rule-break, considering what would happen if a huge suitcase did fall on a baby, or anyone at all. I would immediately close it if it was right next to me. It's well worth it.

Aeroflot777

BMIbaby733

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:01 am

Ye i had this expierience on one of Mytravel's A332's
We were doing quite alot of low altitude sharp turns coming into Sanford and it was creaking that much i had almost convinced myself it was the airframe itself and kept thinking, this turn might be the last!

although i knew it was stupid i think it was the lack of nicotine for 11 hours that did it Big grin
Still, scared the hell out of me!

USADreamliner

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:19 am

They creaked and moaned on takeoff like a $10 hooker and it was great.

I guess that's all she can do for $10 !
 Wink

flyTPA

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:47 am

Really, if you think about it, the creaking and shifting is all part of their design. If they were rigid and unflexible, they'd pop open in an instant once any type of turbulence occured, or, worse yet, cause undue stress and weakening to the airframe. They're not shock-absorbers, but anything that moves and gives way to any type of shift or movement seems to be a safeguard because of it's inherent flexibility.
Signore e signori-benvenuti a bordo questo volo per l'Italia!

VHXLR8

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 37):
In that case, I would quickly stand up and lock it. A few seconds of standing during take-off or landing is worth the rule-break, considering what would happen if a huge suitcase did fall on a baby, or anyone at all. I would immediately close it if it was right next to me. It's well worth it.

Maybe, but standing up LITERALLY as the wheels are touching the ground is not a good idea (as I saw a passenger do recently). And people wonder why there are weight restrictions for carry-on baggage  Yeah sure

kevi747

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:31 pm

Or what about the loud popping sounds that Airbus doors make as you climb and descend. (I can only speak for the A300, because that's the only Airbus we fly.) That was unnerving when I first got qualified on the airplane, but the other F/A's assured me it was normal. They were right as it happens all the time.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

cityguy

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:39 pm

all the time on widebodies-especially the US A330 fleet.

bingo

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:05 pm

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 21):

It's not surprising considering what you guys try to cram in there. They do come with weight limits, you know.

Ill tend to put my bag in a compartment not above me for just that reason. I've hauled some pretty crazy things in my carry on that have weighed me down with guilt over the weight issues...hmm sounds like a good new thread!