Qazar
Topic Author

New Star Alliance Members

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:20 pm

OK!!!

So we all know that Air China, Shanghai Airlines, and Turkish Airlines are all being positioned to join the alliance sometime soon... Who will be next after that?

Some past rumors that circulated:

- Air India / Indian Airlines
- Ethiopian Airlines
- Egyptair
- Qatar Airlines
- TACA group of airlines
- Continental - deffection from Skyteam (I may have heard that one but not sure!!!)
- TAM to replace VARIG
- Air Malta
- Access to the Russian market (Transaero maybe?!!!)

Any thoughts on the above or any others no mentioned?

8herveg

RE: New Star Alliance Members

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting Qazar (Thread starter):
Shanghai Airlines

Do you not think its odd having an airline named after a city, joining Star Alliance?

flashflyguy

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 1):
Do you not think its odd having an airline named after a city, joining Star Alliance?

Singapore Airlines - although Singapore is a city, island, country.....

JoFMO

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:47 pm

- Access to the Russian market (Transaero maybe?!!!)

AirUnion is the most rumored one. But that is still a long way to go.

OA260

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:50 pm

I would like to see Air Malta and Air India join. I cant wait to see TK as a full member so I can get points and lounge access.

cainanuk

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:59 pm

CO.. No way.. Already 2 American carriers, a 3rd would just be redundant and offer nothing of value to the rest of the alliance.

QR.. I can see that one. A Middle East carrier is badly needed and an airline of Qatar's stature would certainly compliment the likes of SQ.

The others I can see would be TAM and TACA to replace Varig and Mexicana.

As far as Russia is concerned, I think that is a possible gold mine. I could see Air Union but that would be a long way off. Now Transaero on the other hand would be a definite possibility and with their tie in with BD on the Moscow route out of LHR, they kinda already have a foot in the door.
Cainan Cornelius

JoFMO

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting Cainanuk (Reply 5):
CO.. No way.. Already 2 American carriers, a 3rd would just be redundant and offer nothing of value to the rest of the alliance.

I as a customer would see a lot of value in them. They would open more than a dozen new transatlantic gateways.

Co also offers the much needed excess to the Mexican market since MX left. And not to forget CO's little brother Copa with its beautiful hub in Panama.

And last but not least just imagine a Star RTW including the island hopper Guam-Honolulu. Just every enthusiasts dream.

SA7700

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:28 pm

You have to admit that CO has a nice bundle of European destination from EWR, as well as an impressive number of Central American destinations. Stranger things have happened in the past - just have a look at the quantity of European carriers in Star.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

A388

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:31 pm

I think the Indian and Chinese markets will be the focus markets for any alliance in the coming years as these markets are expected to grow significantly in the coming years. The major airlines of these countries will be nice candidates of course  Smile

A388

UnitedTristar

Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:37 am

Personally I think the Virgin carriers would do well in Star (outside the slowly dieing Virgin America). BD and VS have long rumored to be talking about mergers. VS would be able to help UA by further strengthening their LHR battle with AA/BA. DJ would be a great fit to help star carriers in AU as a feed to their SYD MEL and PER flying. Virgin Nigeria would help to further patch the African white space on the star map.

The other carrier i would like to see is EK or GF. The Middle East is another white space that they need to fill.

As for the former USSR, I think Transaero would be a good fit. Although I do not know much about Russian Aviation.

-m

airplane 

Cubsrule

Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:25 am

Continental - deffection from Skyteam (I may have heard that one but not sure!!!)

The CO-NW partnership is without a doubt the smoothest-running partnership between 2 U.S. airlines. While CO undoubtedly provides some coverage advantages from Star, what advantages would CO see?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

A388

Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting UnitedTristar (Reply 9):
The other carrier i would like to see is EK or GF. The Middle East is another white space that they need to fill.

checkmark 

As for the former USSR, I think Transaero would be a good fit. Although I do not know much about Russian Aviation.

checkmark 

A388

flydreamliner

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:41 am

Huh, an alliance with 3 US carriers.... what would that have to offer anyone.... CO would know nothing about that, being a part of skyteam... which contains NW, DL, and CO.... 3 US carriers.

Who knows. I do, however, expect that Star Alliance will pick up a persian gulf airline (which, combined with TK, will offer Star a solid middle-eastern presence), which I think will have to be either QR, who seems interested, and well fitted to star alliance, or GF, who I think is perhaps less likely, despite getting a new CEO from Swiss.

I also think star will be courting TAM, in an attempt to re-solidify its base in South America, now that VARIG is out. We'll see how that works out.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

sq452

Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:34 pm

From what I remember (I could be wrong on this) EK has been out there before saying they don't want to be in an alliance, which makes Qatar the prime candidate. They cut SQ out from their mileage partner, and they ditched DL as well from mileage partner.

As for India, I personally think Jet Airways makes the most sense. In terms of quality/cleanliness/service, I have heard the most positive stories about them. I'm sorry but Air India, and/or Indian Airlines in terms of service standards/cleanliness don't cut the mustard for star alliance. Before you start making the claim "well air china isn't any better!", Air China's fleet has been getting a nice makeover as of lately, and I have enjoyed my flight with them in the past, they'll be getting better as time goes on.

TAM also makes a lot of sense given Varig's exit.

Just my  twocents 
SIN > CVG > BOS

CXfirst

Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:44 pm

- Continental - deffection from Skyteam (I may have heard that one but not sure!!!)

This roumer came because of the 'nearly' merger of DL/US, because US would probably go to Skyteam, making skyteam too full with 4 American Airlines, while * would have only 1. If this happened, then CO's move to * would be perfect.

VS would be able to help UA by further strengthening their LHR battle with AA/BA

Wasn't it UA and BD that rejected VS's bid to Star Alliance.

-CXfirst

QLS

Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:55 pm

I think Air China, Air India, Turkish and Shanghai Airlines are more or less already accepted. Lufthansa strives to have them on board.

Now Star needs a partner in South America but TAM is likely to join SkyTeam. TACA would be a good partner for Star because they have no partner in Central America since Mexicana left.

The Middle East carriers are really independant. Maybe Qatar although I think Singapore will not agree.

Emirates will stay outside any alliance.

StarGoldLHR

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:22 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 1):

You Mean like... Singapore Airlines, or a regional like British midland, or how about Cathay Pacific in OneWorld who flies from all those wide selection of Hong Kong airports ?
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

StarGoldLHR

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:30 pm

Quoting SQ452 (Reply 13):
From what I remember (I could be wrong on this) EK has been out there before saying they don't want to be in an alliance,

EK will probably become a true global carrier with hubs around the world once it kicks in gear, it wont need an alliance.
I predict EK will have a hub in Australasia, Dubai, a European Hub (when it eventually buys one of Europe's ill breeds) and maybe even on in central america's.

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 14):
Wasn't it UA and BD that rejected VS's bid to Star Alliance.

Two of LHR's sick puppies protecting whats left of their kennel.
BD protecting what it doesnt have (a long haul network)
UA protecting what it had and lost (a long haul network)

If anything VS could have saved BD, and VS certainly needs feeder routes in the US, which is what it lacks.. so everyone actually stood to gain, but explaining two scrap yard dogs how to be a poodle stands no chance.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

ZKOJH

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:35 pm

regional members could be

.Air baltic
.airone
Vietnam time..

davidkunzVIE

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:37 pm

That's actually the case in SkyTeam. They don't seem to have any kind of overcapacity, especially on transatlantic flights, do they?
DH3 DH4 CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 F70 732 733 734 73G 738 752 762 763 772 742 743 319 320 321 333 343

OA260

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:42 pm

Quoting Zkojh (Reply 18):
regional members could be

.Air baltic

Yes seeing their links with SAS this could be possible.

Norcal773

Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:39 pm

Quoting SQ452 (Reply 13):
I'm sorry but Air India, and/or Indian Airlines in terms of service standards/cleanliness don't cut the mustard for star alliance.

I'm curious to hear what you'd say about UA which doesn't have the best service out there.
If you're going through hell, keep going

b777a340fan

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:11 pm

How about kicking US/HP to the curb and adopt CO?  bouncy 

The others I can see would be TAM and TACA to replace Varig and Mexicana.

I think the Star Alliance needs a south american partner, a middle eastern partner, and an indian partner. That would make a strong, unbeatable alliance.

AA623BDLSJU

Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:56 pm

Was not TAM already approached by OneWorld a few years ago?

ORDTerminal1

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:03 pm

What about Aerolineas Argentinas for Star?
717, 727, 732,733, 734, 735, 738, 742, 744, 752, 763, 319, 320, 340, F100

ORD Boy 2

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:03 am

I read something on flightglobal.com about increasing ties between Aerolineas Argentinas and LH. I think Aerolineas and TACA are much more likely than TAM to join Star.

DATE: 02/02/07
SOURCE:Flightglobal.com
Former Varig employees protest at trade show as Star Alliance hints at new Latin American member 'within months'
By Rainer Uphoff

Former European employees of Brazilian carrier Varig have organised a protest during Spain's Fitur tourism trade show, claiming that the successor airline to Varig should not be awarded any European traffic rights unless all former employees receive outstanding salaries. Meanwhile Star Alliance chief Jaan Albrecht says he expects the airline grouping to recruit a new Latin American airline within months, following the loss of Varig and, previously, Mexicana.

Varig was auctioned last year and a new airline, VRG Linhas A�reas, has emerged in its place.

Speaking during the Fitur show in Madrid a union spokesman said: �We have organised here in Madrid a labour action representing all former European Varig employees.

�We want to make the authorities aware of the fact that [VRG] locked us out on 15 December, just after receiving its new aircraft operator�s certificate, without paying December�s salary nor any legal severance package.�

Around 150 people are affected in Europe, says the spokesman, of which 40 reside in Spain. He says that VRG is the legal successor to Varig and should be held accountable. If the airline is found to be wanting with regard to European labour laws, he adds, traffic rights should be withheld.

Spanish aviation authorities, he claims, have committed to study in depth �all implications� of any submission by VRG for route authority to the country.

Previous protests by disgruntled Varig employees have included the controversial decision by three flight attendants to pose naked in the Brazilian edition of Playboy magazine to highlight the plight of unpaid employees.

Speaking to Flight during a press event in Madrid hosted by Star carrier Spanair, Albrecht said the alliance was holding talks with several airlines in the region, including a candidate in Central America.

Aerol�neas Argentinas, he says, is showing �interesting signs of progress� while Brazil has �first-class� airlines which are primarily serving the domestic market.

Central America�s Transportes A�reos Centroamericanos (TACA) has previously admitted being courted by Star, although at the time it said it considered bilateral partnerships to be more beneficial. Central America�s other major carrier, Copa Airlines, is an associate member of SkyTeam.

While Albrecht makes clear that suggestions that Star is closing on any particular airline would be speculative, he states: �The announcement of a new Latin American Star Alliance carrier is only a matter of months.�

He says that the expulsion of Varig as a member of the alliance amounted to a �friendly divorce�, adding that successor carrier VRG Linhas A�reas� decision to redeploy its fleet away from the main Brazilian international airports does not serve Star�s interests.

�As part of its post-bankruptcy restructuring strategy [VRG] assigned first priority to defending its slots at S�o Paulo Congonhas international airport and Rio de Janeiro Santos-Dumont downtown airports, redeploying its reduced fleet to these airports.

�The international Star Alliance carriers are, however, flying into their respective international airports, Guarulhos and Gale�o [Ant�nio Carlos Jobim international airport]. Obviously, with our partner using different airports, there is no feed and no use for an alliance. This does not exclude [Varig�s successor] from being reconsidered in the future.�

RICARIZA

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:04 am

The others I can see would be TAM and TACA to replace Varig and Mexicana

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 22):
I think the Star Alliance needs a south american partner

Avianca ( AV ) already has agreements with Air China and Singapore Air. One of the rumors is that is looking to join *A due to its network in America and also its partner OceanAir (Soon to be named Avianca) will provide extensive network in Brazil and connections to Africa.

BOG is under extensive renovations (US$650 million) and its location in the center of America is excellent for connections.

Big version: Width: 310 Height: 373 File size: 16kb
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

steeler83

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting FlashFlyGuy (Reply 2):
Singapore Airlines - although Singapore is a city, island, country.....

I was about to mention Singapore myself.

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 22):
How about kicking US/HP to the curb and adopt CO?

Um, how about no... As good an airline as CO is, with their product, management, etc. I am still a fan of US, in spite of them dehubbing PIT and all (which was old US inept management anyway). Sea-gul wasn't even 1/10th of the CEO Parker is.

US has come a long way. Sure, I don't think US should have even begun to pursue DL. Of course, someone mentioned at the height of all of those merger threads revolving around the US/DL merger proposal about CO and UA merging with each other. That could be a good way for CO to come into Star. Even if that were to occur, it would be CO management running the show down in IAH. Again, a big IF, and a reference to other posts from another thread/topic... (not likely)
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

TYCOON

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:17 am

If TAM were to join an alliance, it would make considerably more sense for them to join Skyteam than Star. They have up to three flights a day to the Skyteam hub of Paris CDG, and codeshare with AF both in France and Brazil. In addition, they have just announced flights to Milan Malpensa, another Skyteam hub. Skyteam really needs a South American partner to compliment Aeromexico in the other part of Latin America. I just don't see TAM joining Star Alliance.

As far as Emirates or Qatar joining one of the big three alliances, I am a bit skeptical. These two carriers are sucking away traffic from European carriers due to lower operating costs (namely coming from labour costs) and therefore are able to undercut a number of European airlines on given city pairs. I don't think at this stage, with their proven continued growth, that either EK or QR have a pressing need to join an alliance.

LTU932

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting QLS (Reply 15):
I think Air China, Air India, Turkish and Shanghai Airlines are more or less already accepted.

I don't know about three of them, but TK is has been accepted into Star Alliance and will officially join sometime this or next year.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/press...9_starallianceturkishairlines.html

Quoting ORDTerminal1 (Reply 24):

AR doesn't seem to offer a lot for Star Alliance, so I doubt they'd be in the running for joining an alliance. IMO JJ and AV would be the better candidates for Star Alliance.

jimyvr

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 26):
Avianca ( AV ) already has agreements with Air China and Singapore Air.

Again, this doesn't mean anything at the early Spa Agreement.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

Cubsrule

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:40 am

I can see why CO would benefit Star, but I still want to know how Star would benefit CO. I just don't understand it.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

RICARIZA

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:51 am

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 30):
Again, this doesn't mean anything at the early Spa Agreement

I just mentioned these two signals that AV might be getting closer to reach an agreement with *A, I am not saying that the Spa agreement is the major signal.. of course is not..but we have heard the possibility of joining the alliance for a long time now.

kiwiandrew

Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:12 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 31):
I can see why CO would benefit Star, but I still want to know how Star would benefit CO. I just don't understand it.

at the moment in Skyteam the current membership is huge in North America ( DL/CO/NW/AM )
Europe ( KL/AF/AZ/SU/OK) and transatlantic ( all of the above airlines ) but their current coverage in the rest of the world is pretty sad - ie one airline ( KE) to cover the rest of the world .

It's all very well that many of Skyteams members can get a traveller to Asia , but how do they get a traveller around Asia ? ICN is not very conveniently placed as a hub for intra-Asia travel .

Apart from KE most of CO's current stablemates in Skyteam actually have competing networks rather than complimentary ones . Particularly within North America CO's EWR hub is right next to DL's JFK hub , CO's CLE hub is very close to DL's CVG hub ( and not all that far from NW's DTW hub ) even CO's IAH hub is not all that far from DL's ATL and NW's MEM ops . The addition of new regional members will help spread the Skyteam presence a bit ( KQ , CM , CZ , RO , ) but compared to the complimentary network that Star could give CO ( and with relatively little overlap with CO's current route structure ) how about the addition of 4 current partners in Asia ( NH/TG/SQ/OZ ) , plus at least two more to come ( CA and FU ) ? all opportunities for CO onepass members to use their mileage in areas not currently well covered by Skyteam . If I think about it a bit longer I can probably come up with another dozen benefits that CO and their ff's would get out of Star , but that seems pretty good for a start

jimyvr

Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:15 am

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 32):
I just mentioned these two signals that AV might be getting closer to reach an agreement with *A, I am not saying that the Spa agreement is the major signal.. of course is not..but we have heard the possibility of joining the alliance for a long time now.

2 signals of? Cooperation beyond Spa agreement? That'd be interesting.

RICARIZA

Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 34):
2 signals of? Cooperation beyond Spa agreement? That'd be interesting.

No, read again.
Two from all the signals that we have heard between AV and *A studying the possibilities fo joining. Having relations (of any kind) with Air China and Singapore Airlines are only two signals, but AFAIK execs from AV have had meetings with *A management; also a group of consultants hired by AV to study these types of alliances but this isn't confirmed yet so I don't want to extend on it.

StarGoldLHR

Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting ORDTerminal1 (Reply 24):

I would reckon they have to be a strong contender.

pred02

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting JoFMO (Reply 6):
As far as Russia is concerned, I think that is a possible gold mine. I could see Air Union but that would be a long way off. Now Transaero on the other hand would be a definite possibility and with their tie in with BD on the Moscow route out of LHR, they kinda already have a foot in the door.

Transaero seems like a great airline. S7 has a huge internal Russian market. They have done a bit better recently with their marketing S7, and also upgrading to a few Western planes. Though their safety record is not spectacular, I dunno what to attribute that to.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 20):
Yes seeing their links with SAS this could be possible.

Such small airline, they can get sucked right into the regionals like Adria and Croatia Airlines.

I would like to see JAT Yugoslav Airlines, they have a long way to go, and I think they are more likely to look towards SkyTeam with AF supporting them.

jimyvr

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 35):
Two from all the signals that we have heard between AV and *A studying the possibilities fo joining. Having relations (of any kind) with Air China and Singapore Airlines are only two signals, but AFAIK execs from AV have had meetings with *A management; also a group of consultants hired by AV to study these types of alliances but this isn't confirmed yet so I don't want to extend on it.

I'm still putting doubts on it at this stage.

I pretty much believe Star has been contacting few carriers and AV's Spa's deal with CA/SQ around the same time just happen to be coincidence right now.

bsbisland

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:19 am

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 26):
and also its partner OceanAir (Soon to be named Avianca) will provide extensive network in Brazil and connections to Africa.

I don't see OceanAir (or Avianca) being providing really "extensive" network in Brazil or in "southern" South American countries. Sure they are growing but can not even compare with TAM or Gol which will have a 100+ aircraft each, flying mainly domestically in Brazil. If any alliance is interested in the Brazilian market, those two airlines could be the viable choices. OceanAir still has a long way to be able to compete head to head with JJ and G3 and I hope they do their job, but I just don't think an airline offering 1-2 daily flights in the some main Brazilian domestic routes can be really valuable to an alliance in this market.

BTW Gol is a LCC and TAM has stated before that they don't intend to be member in any alliance by now. TAM has a close relationship with AA and AF offering 3-4 daily flights to their hubs, but by now being member of SkyTeam or OW is barely speculation. Star Alliance would be the one that make less sense. But anyway I hope they get to an alliance sometime soon.

jimyvr

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting BSBIsland (Reply 39):
TAM has a close relationship with AA and AF offering 3-4 daily flights to their hubs, but by now being member of SkyTeam or OW is barely speculation. Star Alliance would be the one that make less sense.

TAM is closing to ink a tie-up deal with Lufthansa when it gets go ahead to FRA.

aircanada014

Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:26 am

If I do recall from previous post sometime last year didn't Egypt Air wanted to join Star Alliance too?

VC10er

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:40 am

CO joining star would be great for new york city. As it stands right now there is no non-stop on star to london, paris, madrid or sao paulo/rio. Adding CO to united would be awesome for 23 million tristate area flyers.
As for brazil, we need something fast. TAM would be great, but I would rather see the GOL/VARIG partnership take off fast. But where would VRG get the aircraft from?
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

USADreamliner

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:42 am

I don't think CO will join Star Alliance. CO have a major east coast hub for SkyTeam,EWR. And joining Star Alliance would change that, with UA in IAD and US in Philadelphia and Charlotte.

And I see TACA closer to AA than US and UA.

Latin America is a Oneworld territory, with AA, IB and LAN. And very soon Lan Ecuador and Lan Argentina.
I think SkyTeam needs a south east Asia member to strenght the network in Asia.

jimyvr

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting USADreamliner (Reply 43):
And I see TACA closer to AA than US and UA.

It's the opposite direction.

They weren't happy with the AA partnership so they went to UA.

daron4000

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting USADreamliner (Reply 43):
I don't think CO will join Star Alliance. CO have a major east coast hub for SkyTeam,EWR. And joining Star Alliance would change that, with UA in IAD and US in Philadelphia and Charlotte.

I believe that if CO were to join Star which right now is very unlikely becuase of all the costs involved, US would be kicked out of Star for some reason such as deteriorating service standards when becoming an LCC etc, sort of like Aer Lingus and OW.

What I'm more curious about, and I wonder if anyone can provide any details, is about VS' bid to join Star. I've always thought that VS and Star would go hand in hand and I'm surprised that United has objected to this, considering that VS already serves 3 and soon to be all the cities that they serve from LHR. Rather, it could be quite complementary for them but who knows. Personally, I think a VS BD UA threesome at LHR, provided that VS convince BD and UA to raise certain standards, would be really good and effictively able to compete against London Airways where Willy Walsh is nickle and diming everything good from the airline.

AF022

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:43 am

- Ethiopian Airlines

I'm surprised Star hasn't targeted Ethiopian to fill a void in the network. Although SAA is part of Star, Ethiopian has far better links between Europe and East Africa, and ET dominates West Africa to Asia. Ethiopian has good service to many Star hubs - FRA, IAD and BKK - and already code-shares with SAA, and perhaps with LH?

ET would be a great fit for Star, no?

OB1504

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:38 am

As far as South American partners are concerned, I agree about not seeing JJ as close to Star Alliance as some think, although I find them closer to oneworld than SkyTeam because of their agreements with AA. Now that I think about it, though, JJ could go either way.

I think Star Alliance could give themselves a really good foothold in South America by adding TACA, with a strong Central American and Peruvian network, and the airlines that are associated with the Synergy Group, providing coverage across most of South America, particularly in Colombia, Brazil, and Peru.

Qazar
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:22 am

Most urgent for Star Alliance: GET AIRLINES IN THE TOP 3 EMERGING MARKETS

China: Done by sealing in Air China and Shanghai Airlines

India: On its way with ties being formed with Air India. I also agree with those of you who think that Jet Airways would make a better match, but I was wondering if anyone had any info on the role Indian Airlines will play once it merges with Air India - (because I believe Indian was the driving force in LH selecting Air India)... The fact of the matter is that Air India's domestic network is almost non-existant - they're an almost fully international operation. The advantage to Star is to bring an airline that will provide links within India and the Indian Subcontinent (Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal). If the merger between the 2 Indian Airlines is a reality, they become the strongest ally to star in that region and the selection of AI (see LH) makes much more sense. On the other side of the coin I remember a thread that claimed that Indian was being approached by Skyteam - is that true? Can a merged Air India/Indian Airlines join 2 seperate alliances? I however believe that the deal is almost sealed and that both Indian carriers will join Star as a single entity.

Russia: The 3rd market, and I have no idea who may or may not be a candidate. I usually am led by those with whom LH has taken up partnerships and cooperations, but with Russia it seems that LH has gone solo serving as many routes with its own aircraft without relying on a partner airline in the region for cooperation... What are your thoughts about this market?

Another priority for Star (after the top 3) becomes LATIN AMERICA. They need 1 in the north (TACA) and 1 in the south (TAM). Although Brazil is well covered by TAP, the latter serves no purpose to those travelling from N. America to and from Brazil, and certainly doesn't serve the intra Brazilian market.... TAM is therefore a top candidate. Their strong service to Paris plays no role in their alliance selection - once route authority comes in for Frankfurt, a lot will change. As a matter of fact they have been holding off joining alliances purposely because they're probably waiting for Frankfurt to say yes to Star.

Then they'll move to Africa and the Middle East:
- Air Malta already in strong cooperation with LH, will be next to join after TK (I know its supposed to be european, but can't help but think of them as part of the Middle East).
- Egyptair has been very active to join Star and Star has been responsive to the efforts.
- Qatar is almost in the bag, but right now Star is more interested in the bigger fish and concentrating on the Indian market and the outcome of that.
- Ethiopian is also a very likely candidate - especially following Kenya's entrance into OW. Ethiopian will give them access to East Africa, SAA to the South, Egyptair to the north, and...
- Virgin Nigeria to the west - that would make a lot of sense... which brings me to:

Europe:
- VS in Star makes a lot of sense - I never heard that it applied and was shot down?!!! When did that happen????
- Air Baltic (See closeness to SAS) - just a matter of time
- Air One (see cooperation with LH) - just a matter of time, even...
- JAT (see cooperation with... LH) - only a matter of time.

Soon Star will be: All the Earth's airlines except....

AF022

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Quoting Qazar (Reply 48):
Kenya's entrance into OW

KQ is headed to SkyTeam, not OW