rjpieces

Airlines Learn To Fly On A Wing And An Apology

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:37 am

Cute article...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/18/bu...68534552989&ex=1174881600&emc=eta1

DALLAS — Airlines are getting serious about saying they’re sorry.

After a spate of nightmarish service disruptions, American Airlines, JetBlue Airways and others are sending out more apologies, hoping to head off customer complaints and quell talk of new consumer-protection regulations from Congress.

But no airline accepts blame quite like Southwest Airlines, which employs Fred Taylor Jr. in a job that could be called chief apology officer.

His formal title is senior manager of proactive customer communications. But Mr. Taylor — 37, rail thin and mildly compulsive, by his own admission — spends his 12-hour work days finding out how Southwest disappointed its customers and then firing off homespun letters of apology.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

OPNLguy

RE: Airlines Learn To Fly On A Wing And An Apology

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:48 am

Good article, and I can confirm the very recent incidents they mention. The only quibble I have (minor) is that I don't necessarily think that anything was held back from Taylor, just that it may have taken him a little while to be able to put what he was being told into the proper operational context.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.