CIDFlyer

Will AA Ever Bring Back STL-CUN/SJU

Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:53 am

Will AA ever bring back their weekend non stop flights from STL to SJU and CUN? I thought AA's STL-CUN was a popular flight, and there had even been talks about expanding the schedule. Then hurricane Wilma hit CUN and the route has been suspended ever since. Also, would AA ever reconsider adding back the Sat/Sun flights to SJU? Would make sense to connect the 2 hubs, albeit with weekend service only since the STL hub smaller now. I think even US at PIT, which they consider to be a focus city now, has retained SJU and CUN flights. I was just wondering if AA would show STL the same consideration. Thanks in advance.

BigGSFO

RE: Will AA Ever Bring Back STL-CUN/SJU

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:18 am

I thought the same thing, especially San Juan since they have a hub at both ends of the flight.

LambertMan

Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 1):
I thought the same thing, especially San Juan since they have a hub at both ends of the flight.

STL-SJU did very poorly in its half year or so post-hub operations. It was operated twice weekly with a 757 and typically went out about ~50% full, which is not good for a leisure flight.

STL-CUN did well (up to 3x weekly at one point) but was dropped after the hurricane that hit Cancun. I could see it coming back twice weekly, but if AA had plans on bringing it back post-hurricane, they would have already.

BigGSFO

Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:35 am

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 2):
STL-SJU did very poorly in its half year or so post-hub operations. It was operated twice weekly with a 757 and typically went out about ~50% full, which is not good for a leisure flight.

Thanks. I thought the flight did well during the TWA days, but nowadays, I suppose AA can just as easily route these passengers via DFW, MIA, ORD, etc.

kevi747

Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:43 am

I worked those flights for a month a while ago and they were always almost completely empty. I remember twice having so few PAX in coach and none in first class that we just upgraded everyone.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

deltasju777

Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:13 am

I could see SJU becoming popular again since there is no passport requirement like everywhere else in the Caribbean and Mexico.

civilav

Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:42 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 1):
if AA had plans on bringing it back post-hurricane, they would have already.

LambertMan,

There are a few pre-Wilma flights that have not been fully reinstated by AA. The reason being lack of parking space and gates at Cancun airport rather than poor load factors. Fortunately, American is one of the lucky airlines which will be transferred to the brand new Terminal 3 building that will open for traffic officially on April 28th. This adds an extra 11 state-of-the-art telescopic bridge gates and as many remote stands enabling a much speedier and friendlier overall operation at an airport which is currently bursting at the seams. The goal at this terminal is that "deplaning to your taxi" time should take 30 minutes on average.

I expect soon to see that AA flight reinstated as well as the 5th daily Miami frequency to name but two.

Greetings from Cancun !

flyinryan99

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:13 am

Quoting Civilav (Reply 6):

Thanks Civilav! Are departures from here going to be pre-cleared for the US or was that put off?? Thanks.

ExpressJet_ERJ

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:51 am

I know they used to one stop the early am flight out of STL to SJU (via MIA). I dont know if that is still around, but they are doing some serious chopping of FL flights for April schedule, looks like the 6am flight to TPA is gone looks like 1 MIA is gone too. Why would they run these flights out of STL at 6am? There is no way these flights could work. No connections possible at all. Be nice to see it a 8-9am flight, down to FL. As well as the CUN and SJU as mentioned before.
ETOPS...Engines Turn Or People Swim

mrstl

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting ExpressJet_ERJ (Reply 8):
I know they used to one stop the early am flight out of STL to SJU (via MIA). I dont know if that is still around, but they are doing some serious chopping of FL flights for April schedule, looks like the 6am flight to TPA is gone looks like 1 MIA is gone too. Why would they run these flights out of STL at 6am? There is no way these flights could work. No connections possible at all. Be nice to see it a 8-9am flight, down to FL. As well as the CUN and SJU as mentioned before.

These flight have been mostly full, the 6:30am FLL 757 is always full and FLL is being cut to nothing. Yes seasonal but I don't remember it being cut completely. AA has focused the few mainline flights on business routes this summer and has cut leisure- not a bad idea when you have an aircraft shortage. But I smell opportunity for FL- Airtran that is.

777STL

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:27 am

Quoting Civilav (Reply 6):
There are a few pre-Wilma flights that have not been fully reinstated by AA. The reason being lack of parking space and gates at Cancun airport rather than poor load factors. Fortunately, American is one of the lucky airlines which will be transferred to the brand new Terminal 3 building that will open for traffic officially on April 28th. This adds an extra 11 state-of-the-art telescopic bridge gates and as many remote stands enabling a much speedier and friendlier overall operation at an airport which is currently bursting at the seams. The goal at this terminal is that "deplaning to your taxi" time should take 30 minutes on average.

That doesn't mean a whole lot if the planes are empty. I think the redundancy with DFW and ORD will prevent the return of this route.
PHX based

MAH4546

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:49 am

looks like 1 MIA is gone too.

The only MIA flight that is gone is a winter-only 757 flight that operates on Saturdays. Otherwise, it is the status quo: 2x daily.
a.

AJMIA

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:23 pm

Any chance of the third daily MIA-STL coming back?

It would be nice to have an early am MIA-STL flight again.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

ConcordeBoy

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:52 pm

Slightly off topic, but what were loads (per se) like on AA's STL-LGW prior to its cancellation?

Any move by the airport/city to convince the carrier to return it?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

LambertMan

Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 13):
Slightly off topic, but what were loads (per se) like on AA's STL-LGW prior to its cancellation?

Any move by the airport/city to convince the carrier to return it?

Really good in the summer, even in F. Not great but manageable in the winter. Cargo loads were the main problem, which were typically very poor.

There were rumblings that the airport administration was trying to talk with AA about starting it up again but I really don't see the incentive in it for AA. Maybe if they can get together a package something could get done, but I seriously doubt it.

ConcordeBoy

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:48 am

No doubt they'll be watching how SLC handles this same scenario rather closely....
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

moman

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:47 am

Darn AA keeps screwing with the Florida flights.

MAH, didn't STL-MIA have 3x last summer?

I REALLY REALLY REALLY love the 1140 A & 344 P TPA-STL flights they had last year. Now it's down to 6PM TPA-STL which is too late for most of my travels. I'll be on that 610A STL-TPA flight next week and it looks pretty open so far, thankfully that time is just what I need for business, although I really miss the 745P STL-TPA flight that was dropped in 2003.

Looks like SRQ is done too. What about RSW?
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

777STL

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:03 am

Quoting Moman (Reply 16):
What about RSW?

RSW had a seasonal second frequency in the summer last year. One flight left in the early morning and the other left in the evening. Not sure what's on tap for this year, though the RSW flights typically do pretty well.
PHX based

atlaaron

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:00 am

This seems like a poll to me. Should probably be moved.

MAH4546

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:02 am

Quoting Moman (Reply 16):
MAH, didn't STL-MIA have 3x last summer?

No, most it has had since the hub cutback was this winter, 2x daily plus an extra Saturday flight.
a.

moman

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:13 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 19):
No, most it has had since the hub cutback was this winter, 2x daily plus an extra Saturday flight.

Why such the wierd times, they have a late night flight leaves MIA ~ 9:40PM? Does that flight have good loads, it seems like it would be too late for any connecting traffic.

777STL

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 18):
This seems like a poll to me. Should probably be moved.

He's asking a question, not polling everyone's opinion. Let the moderators do their job and don't worry about it.
PHX based

floridaflyboy

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:01 am

I agree with some of the folks above. STL-SJU is likely not coming back, but STL-CUN definitely has a real chance.
Good goes around!

mrstl

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:05 am

On a FL note, AA increases JAX to 4X April 10th and is keeping 3xMCO-- no seasonal pullback.

MAH4546

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:10 am

Quoting Moman (Reply 20):
Why such the wierd times, they have a late night flight leaves MIA ~ 9:40PM? Does that flight have good loads, it seems like it would be too late for any connecting traffic.

MIA-STL flights always go out fill. The MIA flight is full of Caribbean connections and O&D. Miami-St. Louis is a big O&D market, with 785 daily passengers.
a.

LambertMan

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:01 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):

MIA-STL flights always go out fill. The MIA flight is full of Caribbean connections and O&D. Miami-St. Louis is a big O&D market, with 785 daily passengers.

The MIA-STL flight loads are ridiculous, I've rarely seen either of the flights go out with more than a few seats open. I've tried on a number of occasions to get on STL-MIA with AA and its almost always booked. I ended up in Tampa this spring break because of it  Angry . You've gotta book way out or sit in F class if you're trying to use it.

I suppose American just doesn't think it can support an extra 738. I sure don't see why not....

mrstl

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:20 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 25):
The MIA-STL flight loads are ridiculous, I've rarely seen either of the flights go out with more than a few seats open. I've tried on a number of occasions to get on STL-MIA with AA and its almost always booked. I ended up in Tampa this spring break because of it . You've gotta book way out or sit in F class if you're trying to use it.

Agreed, I see this on many other city pairs as well, not to mention STL-DFW flights on some days are sold out 100% or close to it so connecting at least through DFW is not an option. All I can say is thank you AA for adding another STL-LAX frequency and for the upgrade on equipment! I cannot help but believe they are steering a lot of traffic away to other carriers. I know loads do not always equate to profit- but they have to be doing well on what they fly out of here. I would love to know what the overall load factors out of STL on AA are on some days- they have to be approaching 95% + for some I have looked at.

Doesn't AA have to operate CUN soon to keep their route rights? I am sure F9 or Ryan Air would probably like to pick it up if AA does not.

BHMNONREV

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):

STL-MIA has historically been a good market. In the pre-deregulation days TWA would run 3-4 flights a day, with Eastern having 1-2 daily non-stops, depending on the season.

I suppose American just doesn't think it can support an extra 738. I sure don't see why not....

I don't think there is any question a third daily could be supported, but I guess AA figures they would rather keep those 2 X 757 full with high yields and lose a few passengers over running another flight...

stl1326

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 pm

Quoting MrSTL (Reply 26):
Doesn't AA have to operate CUN soon to keep their route rights? I am sure F9 or Ryan Air would probably like to pick it up if AA does not.

That is an interesting point....I thought they would have brought back the CUN route by now but the question is how well does F9 do on the route without any competition?
Not to get off topic but does anybody know if Airtran will be using the B concourse?

moman

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:55 am

The MIA-STL flight loads are ridiculous, I've rarely seen either of the flights go out with more than a few seats open. I've tried on a number of occasions to get on STL-MIA with AA and its almost always booked. I ended up in Tampa this spring break because of it Angry . You've gotta book way out or sit in F class if you're trying to use it.

Should have given me a call and met up for beer while you were here....

It would be neat to see 2x 757, 1x738 on the STL-MIA route. I've flown that 5-6x in the past couple years and it was always booked solid from what I can see.

AJMIA

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:22 am

Quoting Moman (Reply 29):
It would be neat to see 2x 757, 1x738 on the STL-MIA route. I've flown that 5-6x in the past couple years and it was always booked solid from what I can see.

Yes, I agree it is always very full and I very often see pax with connections booked via TPA, JAX, RSW, ATL, MCO and even DFW and ORD to get back to STL.

I don't think there is any doubt MIA-STL could support another couple flights. The only problem is in order to add them something else will need to be cut.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.