turpentyine

Cargo Plane Crew

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:14 am

Besides the Capatain, First Officer, and occasional Flight Engineer is there any other crew members that fly with the cargo? I thought I once saw a job opening on Air Atlanta for some sort of cargo attendant position whose job was to deal with the cargo, and that person was supposed fly with the cargo. Any one know what that position really is or am I confused?

EMBQA

RE: Cargo Plane Crew

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting Turpentyine (Thread starter):
Besides the Capatain, First Officer, and occasional Flight Engineer is there any other crew members that fly with the cargo?

Boxes don't need anything. No... no one else flies with the plane unless there is a Currier going with a shipment or they are carrying live cargo like horses.

[Edited 2007-03-18 22:28:10]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

JRadier

Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:01 am

I believe MP carries a Freight loader as well, (s)he is supposed to take care of (un)loading (and making sure the aircraft doesn't sit on it's ass) and weight&balance etc.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

blueflyer

Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:02 am

Cargo flights will sometimes carry "passengers" to look after the freight upon landing, usually for prize animals (racing horses...), highly valuable goods (a large load of diamonds or gold...) or delicate equipment (concert gear, F1 equipment...). Cargo flights are not supposed to carry actual passengers, so these people are made crew members for the duration of the flight.

Every now and then, you may also have a dead-heading crew member on board, or someone else from the airline, that's about it.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

VEEREF

Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:07 am

At our company they are called Loadmasters. They plan and oversee loading and unloading of the cargo. They may or may not ride with the aircraft once the freight is loaded. When carrying live animals such as horses, a handler will usually be carried.
We will usually carry a mechanic as well when going to places where contract maintenance is not available.
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

turpentyine

Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:29 am

Quoting VEEREF (Reply 4):
At our company they are called Loadmasters. They plan and oversee loading and unloading of the cargo. They may or may not ride with the aircraft once the freight is loaded. When carrying live animals such as horses, a handler will usually be carried.
We will usually carry a mechanic as well when going to places where contract maintenance is not available.

How does one become a loadmaster and what is the starting salary?

JRadier

Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:29 am

Quoting VEEREF (Reply 4):
Loadmasters

that was the word I was looking for, thank you
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther