Seafleet
Topic Author

AA First Officer 3 Times The Alcholol Limit

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:55 am

An american airlines FO was 3 times over the limit for alchohol when arrested at MAN in Feb 2006.
Wow just as well they caught him before take off.The link is below but I do feel sorry for the guy as he clearly has a problem if he turns up to fly with these sort of levels.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/6467361.stm

seafleet

workflyer

RE: AA First Officer 3 Times The Alcholol Limit

Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:44 am

It would be nice to think that even if he had made it onto the plane, the captain would have noticed his state and stood him down. But of course he did not get that far, so we will never know.

I remember an English TV documentary of a few years back that showed an overnighting crew getting legless and returning to the hotel only a few hours before they were due to turn up for duty. Apparently the captain "slept it off" on the return to the UK, leaving the only slightly less hungover FO to fly back, not good at all.

In this case his excuse that he was going to tell the captain he was sick and not going to fly does not add up though. Especially given that he was in uniform and trying to access airside through the crew channel. If he was "sick" why could he not use the phone. Of course maybe he was so legless he did not think of that.

Quick question though. Would the flight have been able to leave with just the two existing crew? Or do they need the relief staffer?

MCOflyer

Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:51 am

There was thread about this at the time. Flight went to JFK to pick up an F/O.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

workflyer

Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 2):
There was thread about this at the time. Flight went to JFK to pick up an F/O.

MCOflyer

Cheers for that

workflyer

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:06 am

Update

Found not guilty at trial

http://newsbbc.co.uk/

The link does not go right through to the story. You have to search under UK news

MDorBust

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting Seafleet (Thread starter):
Feb 2006.

Slow news day?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Bongodog1964

Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:07 pm

IMO the case should never have reached court. The pilot was in a taxi, and stopped at security because he couldn't produce his pass. We can all speculate whether he was intending to report for duty, or report sick; the simple matter is though that he had not reached the offices where he would have had to commit himself either way.
This decision to prosecute, would be in another context the equivalant of prosecuting a person for drunk driving merely because they had a set of car keys in their pocket. The prosecution needs to prove to the jury that the person either commited the offence or was about to commit it; they couldn't so the not guilty verdict followed.

An entirely different matter though is any AA internal procedures that he may have flouted.

flybyguy

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:29 pm

What a dumb fu*k. He spent years gaining his status as an airline pilot in a beleagered U.S. airline industry only to throw it all away the night before reporting to duty. I have no sympathy for pilots like that. He obviously was going to report to duty if he was wearing his uniform.... I have no idea how they found him not guilty... probably one of those idiotic legal technicalities that legal systems in the western world are known for.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

Molykote

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:35 pm

If he didn't "act as a First Officer" while intoxicated so be it (at least as far as legal matters go).

I'd just hope that AA (no pun) deals with this as deemed appropriate.

Situations such as this always leave a bad taste in my mouth. Although I understand union obligations to their members, some naive part of me wants to believe that unions should do something to illustrate to the public that they hold standards of excellence when situations such as this arise. (Note that I am not saying ALPA doesn't hold standards of excellence).
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!