nycfuturepilot

Why Doesnt CO Always Allow Seat Selection?

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:26 am

I fly CO pretty often and occasionally, though seat maps show open seats and allow me to click on one, when I hit confirm seat choices, the response comes up that not all seat choices can be confirmed? Why do they do this?
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

IAHFLYR

RE: Why Doesnt CO Always Allow Seat Selection?

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:43 am

Are those seats possibly for Elite members, or even worse Platinum Elite. I've never had an issue if the seat showed as unoccupied to be able to select it.

Only other thing I can think of is the flight you've selected had a change in something from the time you purchased the ticket to the time you wanted to change/select a seat......if that was the case, acknowledge the change whether aircraft type change or schedule change etc,. and follow the prompts on the website, it all works.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

COFreqFlyer

106a RE: Why Doesnt CO Always Allow Seat Selection?

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:09 pm

Quoting Nycfuturepilot (Thread starter):
I fly CO pretty often and occasionally, though seat maps show open seats and allow me to click on one, when I hit confirm seat choices, the response comes up that not all seat choices can be confirmed? Why do they do this?

Only time I've seen this is when I'm booking a flight through on a code-share or other non-CO-controlled airframe. Mainline, Express, and Connection will all confirm immediately. Flights actually operated by NW/KL/DL will take some time to confirm the seating.
The Proud Bird with the Golden Tail

nycfuturepilot

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:21 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 1):
Are those seats possibly for Elite members, or even worse Platinum Elite. I've never had an issue if the seat showed as unoccupied to be able to select it.

Only other thing I can think of is the flight you've selected had a change in something from the time you purchased the ticket to the time you wanted to change/select a seat......if that was the case, acknowledge the change whether aircraft type change or schedule change etc,. and follow the prompts on the website, it all works.

nope just picking one of the regular empty seats right after confirming my reservations. it comes up as seat selected on the immediate screen however the final itinerary specifies that the seat could not be confirmed and must be selected on check in. It allowed me to select for my departure flight just not my return (theyre both CO operated DCA-EWR on 735s).
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

phoenixflyer

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:27 am

I had this exact problem when I was flyin EWR-LGW. I chose open seats then it said I couldn't be confirmed on them, I had to wait until i went to the airport. So I wrote an email asking why and got some generalized answer but they did assign me a seat on the return part. Never figured out why because it was mainline and there was no aircraft change. Other than that one time Ive never had a problem with CO.

COEI2007

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:23 am

A lot of the time, only a certain % of the flight can be 'seat assigned'. This is so we can seat families, groups and couples together. If you want a certain seat, best thing to do is turn up early or go to a CO ticket counter.

CoolGuy

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:04 am

In general if you're one of the first to check in online (exactly 24 before the flight) you can get pretty much any seat you want, regardless of whether you had a seat reserved. I don't take notice of the seats I reserve because I always end up getting the one I want during online check in. Don't worry.

Edit: the 'premium' seats are available just as any other during online check in.

[Edited 2007-03-20 22:08:55]

ltbewr

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:23 am

Perhaps some perferred seats are held for last minute and higher fare pax, or for higher fare pax in general or for balance issues.

jetdeltamsy

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:21 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 5):
A lot of the time, only a certain % of the flight can be 'seat assigned'

This is most likely the correct answer.

Neary all US airlines hold back 10 to 25% of the seats in the coach cabin for airport control.

This gives gate agents seats to work with during check-in.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

lincoln

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 8):
Neary all US airlines hold back 10 to 25% of the seats in the coach cabin for airport control.

In my experience, though, Continental shows the 'held' seats as occupied on the Internet seat maps. The only time I've seen the "unable to confirm" after selecting an open seat is when mysself and a coworker both tried choosing the same seat at roughly the same time (such that when I selected what what appeared to be an empty seat it was in fact no longer empty)

I wonder what would happen if the original poster were to try changing their seats on Contnental.comow

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

COEI2007

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:33 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 8):
Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 5):
A lot of the time, only a certain % of the flight can be 'seat assigned'

This is most likely the correct answer.

Thisnis exactly the reason why. We hold back a proportion of the seats, so we can sit people together. The last thing anyone wants is a family of 4 turning up together, and only middle seats in rows 1,10, 17 and 25 left!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos