Humberside
Topic Author

Lufthansa May Move Moscow Airport

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:43 am

ATW ONline reports that LH may move from SVO to DME. OS recently made this move and other Star airlines serving DME include bmi and SQ

The same reports indicates SAS are also considering this move
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

swissgabe

RE: Lufthansa May Move Moscow Airport

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:46 am

Quoting Humberside (Thread starter):
ATW ONline reports that LH may move from SVO to DME. OS recently made this move and other Star airlines serving DME include bmi and SQ

Swiss International moved to DME already several years ago and would be a Star Alliance member as well (and is even owned by LH)
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

ZRH

Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 1):
Swiss International moved to DME already several years ago and would be a Star Alliance member as well (and is even owned by LH

Yes, I was wondering if Swiss would have to change back to SVO or if LH will come to DME. A few months ago I flew in to SVO with LH and back with LX from DME. I liked DME definitely better.

JoKeR

Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:19 am

DME seems to be the airport of choice for many airlines, even Middle Eastern carriers such as EK and QR fly there instead of SVO.

A few years back, JU made the comment that it would stay at SVO as it is its codeshare partner's (SU) hub.
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

RAFVC10

Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:00 am

Unbelievable until I see it.

Several times I heard it in Lufthansa team members and always were false information.

Wait and see....
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

ZRH

Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 4):
Unbelievable until I see it.

Not unbelievable at all because most Star carriers are already there and it is the better airport.

dtwclipper

Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:08 am

Lufthansa May Move Moscow Airport

I got the impression from your title that LH was going to hitch a towbar to the airport and move it somewhere! Big grin Big grin

Back to topic, it does seem to make sense to have all of the alliance partners in the same location, surprised it wasn't done some time ago.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

RJ100

Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:21 am

Would be bad news for me since Sheremetyevo is very close to where I need to go in Moscow. No way I'm taking again Lufthansa to Moscow if they switch to Domodedovo. It takes me half a day best case  Wink
none

kiwiandrew

Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 6):
I got the impression from your title that LH was going to hitch a towbar to the airport and move it somewhere!

I was itching to post something similar and then thought "no , just once in your life try to act age " Big grin glad to see somebody let themselves give in to the urge .

anyway , it seems to make a lot of sense for two reasons both already mentioned :

1/ try to get all your alliance partners under one roof

2/ from everyone I have spoken to DME is far better than SVO

and a third one which hasn't been mentioned yet

3 / isnt Domodedovo Airlines part of the AiRUnion group which has been tipped as a potential Star member ? If so
makes sense to base yourself at your (future) local partners hub for best connections

jsnww81

Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:31 am

Are there any plans to renovate Sheremetyevo-2 once Aeroflot and friends move to SVO-3? Most of the carriers that have moved from SVO to DME have cited SVO-2's poor condition as their reason for leaving. Once SU moves into their new digs, it seems like it might make sense to spruce up SVO-2, and try to stem the flood of airlines leaving for Domodedovo.

Viscount724

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:35 am

BA also moved from SVO to DME a couple of years ago.

2travel2know

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:21 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 8):
and a third one which hasn't been mentioned yet

Is that airport Moscow's like London LTN, Paris BVA, Frankfurt Hann, Olso Torp, Stockholms Skvasta, Copenhagen MMX?
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

sandrozrh

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:52 am

From what i heard, LX is VERY happy about their move to DME, not that it's just a better airport than SVO, but they seem to save a lot of money as opposed to when they operated to SVO. Now with the close synergies between LX and LH, it's just logical that LH would follow LX to DME, seeing their great success there.

Aeroflot777

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:58 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 5):
and it is the better airport.

Wait until SVO is fully re-modeled. Once Terminal 3 opens and Terminal 2 gets its full overhaul it will be a great airport. The brand new Terminal 1 opened as well. As far as LH moving...it might happen. Nothing raelly bad about it. Star Alliance might like DME as an airport better than SVO. And saying that... it's good to have one alliance in one place.
SVO will definitely be a SkyTeam airport, so it will all play out.

Moscow has 3 international airports, all of which are getting major overhauls and service a huge amount of passengers each. Vnukovo is also gaining immense popularity amongst pax. What can I say, for a huge city like Moscow, with a lot of demand, 3 airports isn't a bad thing.

Aeroflot777

ZRH

Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:14 pm

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 13):
Nothing raelly bad about it. Star Alliance might like DME as an airport better than SVO. And saying that... it's good to have one alliance in one place.
SVO will definitely be a SkyTeam airport, so it will all play out.

It really could be that SVO becomes the Sky Team and DME the Star Alliance airport.

Corsair1107

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:36 pm

for the uninitiated, like myself, what are the pro's and con's of each airport? Is it an LHR vs. LGW kind of deal where one is close in to the city center compared to the other?
Flown on: DHC-6/8, F100, B1900C, 717, 727, 737, 757, 767, 777, 319, 320, C152/172, E135/145, DC-9, MD-83/88 CL600

RJ100

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:12 pm

The Moscow airports are quite far away from the city centre, Sheremetyevo approximately 30 kilometers northwest and Domodedovo 48 kilometers south. Vnukovo is 30 kilometers southwest and Bykovo is 35 kilometers southeast...

I think Sheremetyevo is not that bad but that's only my personal opinion.
none

sandrozrh

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 16):
I think Sheremetyevo is not that bad but that's only my personal opinion.

I didnt mean to bash SVO when i said that DME is better, its just that i have heard a lot of horror-stories about SVO as opposed to DME, but i cant really judge as ive never been to either of both! I'm planning to do so though Big grin

RJ100

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:44 pm

I heard many horror stories as well about SVO, every travel guide mentions at least 100 times that it would be one of the worst airports in Europe...I was positively surprised and had no problems at all.

I think it would be a good opportunity for Star Alliance to serve both airports, LX/OS to DME and LH to SVO. Not sure if someone living in the north of Moscow is driving 80 kilometers through Moscow traffic just to fly Star Alliance from DME...(it took us a good hour from North Moscow to North Moscow-SVO Big grin ).

How's the domestic SVO terminal nowadays? I will connect through it in summer.

@Sandro: don't forget to take at least one Tupolev flight when you're there  Wink
none

ZRH

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:58 pm

As I already wrote, I flew in at SVO and left at DME. Because I only was once at each airport I can't really judge. But as RJ100 said SVO is not too bad. Actually I arrived at about 0430 (two hours late from MUC) and there weren't too many people so I could pass immigration in about 10 min and the luggage came quickly. Everything was a little old fashioned Soviet style but this didn't bother me. I did not have any problems at SVO at this time of the night. DME on the other hand is a little more modern, everything went smooth. At the security check you could sit on a bench and take your shoes of and use kind of disposal socks.

thaiaggie

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:02 am

TG, another *A, also serves DME
Barrow, Alaska in Feb. It was Cold!

USADreamliner

Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:20 am

Aeroflot Cargo hub is DME, right?

SFO2SVO

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:32 am

SVO is bad, no question. The list is long but the most pressing issues are:
- check-in AFTER customs. In most places one can check-in and still spend some time in non-sterile zone;
- bad ground transportation (the train from Savjolovskaya station they advertise is not a reasonable option);
- inconvenient transfers to domestic flights.

Some of the above may get fixed with opening of SVO-3. Domodedovo does not have any of these issues.

Back to the topic, I have heard that most important thing for LH is the early morning slot. They wanted 7am flights to Gemany and that was an issue before.
318-19-20-21 332 343 717 727 737-234578 743-4 752 763 772 D9/10 M11/8x/90 F70 RJ85 ATR72 SF340 E120 TU34/54 IL18/62/86/9

CPHGuard

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 6):
I got the impression from your title that LH was going to hitch a towbar to the airport and move it somewhere!

It was actually done 7 years ago in CPH, when the old terminal was moved 3.8 km on a special designed vehicle  Smile

RJ100

Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting SFO2SVO (Reply 22):
- check-in AFTER customs. In most places one can check-in and still spend some time in non-sterile zone;
- bad ground transportation (the train from Savjolovskaya station they advertise is not a reasonable option);

You forgot to mention taxi prices Big grin... rumours have it that some tourists needed to pay 150$ to go from terminal 1 to terminal 2. Big grin Big grin Well, after all, Moscow is one of the most expensive cities in the world  Wink (great place though, cannot repeat myself enough times!  Smile )
none

Aeroflot777

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 18):

How's the domestic SVO terminal nowadays?

You mean the brand new one that opened a few weeks ago? It's supposed to be superb. I've heard great reviews already. It has a few dozen passport control stands, a lot of check-in areas, and very roomy past security. It should be quite a pleasant change. It's painted in SU colors too! Big grin

Quoting SFO2SVO (Reply 22):

Some of the above may get fixed with opening of SVO-3. Domodedovo does not have any of these issues.

SVO isn't bad, it's in need of a major overhaul which it is currently getting. Terminal 1 is brand new. Terminal 3 will be finished by year' end. Terminal 2 is being completely remodeled. It's going to be widened, brightened, and completely modified for pax convenience. A new wing is supposed to be built with more gates as well as aircraft parking stands. A multi-floor parking garage is in the works for Terminal 2 as well. There will also be a connector built between T2 and T3 with galleries and stores.

After all is done, SVO should be great! I can't wait.

Aeroflot777

UN_B732

Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:50 am

I have nothing against SVO

.. until after a long flight, you find yourself on Leningradskoe Shosse traffic.  Smile

It's a little old, but really SVO is not bad. DME right now is much better, but the new SVO should also be good, especially if/when they get a train straight to the city.
What now?

sandrozrh

Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:18 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 18):
@Sandro: don't forget to take at least one Tupolev flight when you're there

haha, that goes without saying! And thanks to your website, i can easily find out who to fly with Big grin