Concorde001
Topic Author

Confirmed: EU Gives Go Ahead To EU-US Open Skies

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:19 pm

I think this warrants its own thread as the others are concerned with rumours from the media... (the earlier one was deleted).

It has now been CONFIRMED that the EU has unanimously backed EU-US Open Skies.

"European Union (EU) transport ministers have unanimously backed an "open skies" aviation deal with the US aimed at liberalising transatlantic air travel...EU Transport Commissioner Jacques Barrot described the deal as one of "great political and economic importance."

"The fact that everyone in the Council (of transport ministers) has been able to welcome the outcome is to be commended," he said."

Source: BBC News

I'm not sure if Britain secured its two amendments of delaying LHR access till 2008 and further negotiations on ownership.

Well congratulations are in order to the EU and US...they finally got there, Let's hope this is the first step to FULL liberalisation.

[Edited 2007-03-22 13:27:52]

nonrev

RE: Confirmed: EU Gives Go Ahead To EU-US Open Skies

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:27 pm

Why was the last post deleted?

kaitak

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:29 pm

Wonderful news; I'm sure we'll hear more of the details in due course. In particular, I'm concerned that any changes made as a result of UK objections don't increase the possibility of its being rejected by the UK.

From an Irish perspective, it's wonderful news. The SNN stopover is now consigned to history. It is a monumental step forward.

Concorde001
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Quoting NonRev (Reply 1):
Why was the last post deleted?

Apparently it was a double thread with:

Britain To Agree To Open Skies...Strings Attached

But that thread was discussing the possibility of British approval if certain conditions were met.

This thread is different as EU-US Open Skies has now been confirmed and I think therefore it warrants its own thread.

Nimish

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:33 pm

So is there anything preventing this from being signed immediately?
Incredible India!

scotron11

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:38 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 4):

So is there anything preventing this from being signed immediately?

Only change I see is the implementation date. From Oct07 until Mar08, the way I read it. Goodo! Finally Bermuda II is laid to rest!! R . I. P.

UAL777UK

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 pm

Wonderful news, not before time, I cannot wait to see the main players now scrambling to get slots at LHR.

Curious

I wonder if this will mean the all business carriers will try to move into LHR? maybe a bit expensive for Silverjet or maxjet to try and get regular slot but perhaps Eos?

I would make the price of a regular slot at LHR more expensive?

wheelsatc

Not really 'open skies' for everyone though. EU airlines still cannot own more than 25% of a US carrier, US carriers can takeover EU carriers and EU airlines cannot fly US domestic services whereas US airlines can now fly whatever they like within the EU.

Of course the main loser is Britain (as always) with heathrow now being opened up to all and sundry meaning the likes of LH, AF, KL will spend the next couple of years trying to ruin it until BA and VS are dead and buried.

Over the top? maybe, but i can imagine it happening!

jonathan-l

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:43 pm

QUOTE FROM BBC ARTICLE FROM 1ST POST
But while US airlines would gain free access to European airports, EU carriers would not be allowed the same rights on domestic routes within the US.
UNQUOTE

What is the advantage for European airlines?

AIR MALTA

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:45 pm

Quoting Wheelsatc (Reply 8):
Not really 'open skies' for everyone though. EU airlines still cannot own more than 25% of a US carrier, US carriers can takeover EU carriers and EU airlines cannot fly US domestic services whereas US airlines can now fly whatever they like within the EU.

You are right!!! Bring back the restrictions to US airlines. These rules are unfair. Why is the US always given favourable terms and conditions. After 9/11, all US airlines were injected money. EU airlines had to survive on their own or die.

It is really unfair!
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

scotron11

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:48 pm

Quoting Jonathan-l (Reply 9):

What is the advantage for European airlines?

Well, for one example, AF/KLM would be allowed to fly anywhere in the EU to anyplace in the US. In fact, AF could do away with the AF/KLM dual structure and still have traffic rights x-Netherlands-US.

BA could takeover IB and have full traffic rights x-MAD etc.

Plus, the biggest advantage will be travellers as I am sure fares will become more competitive.

donder10

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:50 pm

Of course the main loser is Britain (as always) with heathrow now being opened up to all and sundry meaning the likes

Can you please explain why greater competition on UK-US routes will make Britain worse off.

kaitak

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:53 pm

Are you sure about the delay; I thought this was only supposed to apply to LHR? Aer Lingus is planning to start services to SFO, IAD and MCO from this Autumn. Why should the rest of Europe have to wait until T5 is up and running.

jonathan-l

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting Scotron11 (Reply 11):
Well, for one example, AF/KLM would be allowed to fly anywhere in the EU to anyplace in the US. In fact, AF could do away with the AF/KLM dual structure and still have traffic rights x-Netherlands-US.

OK, but AF still cannot fly CDG-JFK-ORD but United can fly ORD-CDG-LHR.
Am I missing something?

Concorde001
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 13):
Are you sure about the delay; I thought this was only supposed to apply to LHR? Aer Lingus is planning to start services to SFO, IAD and MCO from this Autumn. Why should the rest of Europe have to wait until T5 is up and running.

I'm not sure if Britain got its concessions, but if it did, the delay will only apply to LHR.

kaitak

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:02 pm

Aer Lingus has just announced SFO, IAD and MCO, to start this Winter, so it appears that the LHR concession only applies to LHR.

antonovman

RE: Confirmed: EU Gives Go Ahead To EU-US Open Ski

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:07 pm

Once again the USA has got everything it wanted but what has the EU and especially the UK got ? NOTHING . Now we will have those great dinosaurs in LHR being propped up financially by bankrupcy protection. They will be demanding they are given slots taken away from BA next. SOLD OUT ONCE AGAIN

JoKeR

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:11 pm

Does the deal affect the non-EU states (Serbia, Croatia etc) which are signatories to the EU Open Skies Treaty?
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

ARGinLON

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:16 pm

Quoting Scotron11 (Reply 11):

AF/KL will be the big winner on the EU side. I imagine AF taking most of the KL North America operations... In addition, this will make their LHR a golden mine due to the "insane" number of slots they owe

PanHAM

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:30 pm

A real gold mine can be the BMI investment of LH + SK. They have the slots and can easily use these for US services.

LH can make a better use of he LX investment. Will be interestimng to watch the market developments over the next couple of months.
powered by Eierlikör

panamair

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 10):
After 9/11, all US airlines were injected money. EU airlines had to survive on their own or die.

It is really unfair!

Many EU airlines over the course of their history have been injected with all sorts of subsidies and monies as well. Yes, even the currently mighty and profitable AF and BA have at various times in their histories been propped up by taxpayer dollars; without those they wouldn't be around today either.

Quoting Jonathan-l (Reply 14):
but AF still cannot fly CDG-JFK-ORD but United can fly ORD-CDG-LHR.
Am I missing something?

Frankly, why would AF want to serve JFK-ORD (and compete with B6's multiple daily flights) and why would UA want to fly CDG-LHR? Many US airlines already have rights between many European cities (e.g. UA can already fly LHR-FRA or LHR-MUC -carrying local traffic today even without Open Skies) but they have learnt for the most part that it is no longer profitable to have such far-flung local operations (DL giving up PA's FRA hub, UA dropping all of its LHR spokes inherited from PA, etc.)

Quoting Antonovman (Reply 17):
Now we will have those great dinosaurs in LHR being propped up financially by bankrupcy protection.

But apparently these are such attractive dinosaurs that you guys don't mind beating the drum ever so loudly to increase foreign ownership of US airlines...apparently you would like to throw your hard-earned profits into these dinosaurs!!

[Edited 2007-03-22 14:32:37]

ARGinLON

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:47 pm

Quoting Panamair (Reply 21):
Frankly, why would AF want to serve JFK-ORD (and compete with B6's multiple daily flights) and why would UA want to fly CDG-LHR? Many US airlines already have rights between many European cities (e.g. UA can already fly LHR-FRA or LHR-MUC -carrying local traffic today even without Open Skies) but they have learnt for the most part that it is no longer profitable to have such far-flung local operations (DL giving up PA's FRA hub, UA dropping all of its LHR spokes inherited from PA, etc.)

100% true! People here are speculating will all sorts of strategies..... AA doing ORD-LHR-CDG, VS flying from all EU countries to feed its new venture (VA) and blah, blah, blah... Open Skies was all about LHR rights and AF/KL full integration..... That's all over... nothing will change apart from the gold mine BA/AA/UA/VS currently have at LHR.

antonovman

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:02 pm

But apparently these are such attractive dinosaurs that you guys don't mind beating the drum ever so loudly to increase foreign ownership of US airlines...apparently you would like to throw your hard-earned profits into these dinosaurs!!

Well that is one subject we both seem to agree on, Talk about throwing money away on a dead horse. I'll never understand why they are so determined to get that law changed.

jonathan-l

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:03 pm

Frankly, why would AF want to serve JFK-ORD (and compete with B6's multiple daily flights) and why would UA want to fly CDG-LHR?

OK, it might be useless for everyone so why do US airlines have the right to cabotage and not European airlines. I am asking out of curiosity, what drove the absence of reciprocity on this item?

Revelation

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:04 pm

Am I missing something?

You think you are comparing EU-US-US to US-EU-EU, but you are really comparing FR-US-US to US-FR-UK.

The EU is not a sovereign nation, it's a group of sovereign nations that prefer to negotiate as a block.

I hear many of you crying foul, but this thing has been talked to death, and if the EU doesn't like the deal, they do not have to sign. One is then free to conclude that the EU negotiators decided making this deal was better than no deal at all, or one can choose to find some other less savory explanation.

I congratulate the US for standing firm over these many years of negotiations.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

ManchesterMAN

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:15 pm

Well United just got a good deal from Delta selling the London/New York route authority only to be able to operate it again come next Spring (not that they would).
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

masseybrown

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:18 pm

The delay in opening LHR until BA moves to T-5, assuming that happens on time, makes eminent sense. Transatlantic routes are generally opened in the spring/summer, not the low fall/witner season for good economic reasons. As importantly, getting BA settled in its new digs presumably makes some room for new airlines in the other terminals.

BoomBoom

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:22 pm

Of course the main loser is Britain (as always) with heathrow now being opened up to all and sundry meaning the likes of LH, AF, KL will spend the next couple of years trying to ruin it until BA and VS are dead and buried.

Quote:
The U.K. should be the biggest beneficiary, diplomats add. Almost 40% of the current trans-Atlantic air traffic is between the U.K. and the U.S., they argue.

Quoting Jonathan-l (Reply 24):
OK, it might be useless for everyone so why do US airlines have the right to cabotage and not European airlines. I am asking out of curiosity, what drove the absence of reciprocity on this item?

Quote:
This is just the first phase of a trans-Atlantic air opening, said Mr. Tiefensee, acknowledging he had hoped for more movement on airline ownership and operation within the U.S. A second-stage deal will address these issues, he added.

If no agreement is reached in 2010, each member state may, if it wishes, notify the commission of any particular rights they would like to suspend, said Mr. Barrot. "The idea behind this clause is to bring pressure to bear on the U.S. in order to conclude the second stage."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1174...945361.html?mod=home_whats_news_us

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 10):
After 9/11, all US airlines were injected money. EU airlines had to survive on their own or die.

Very few airlines took the government money because there were too many strings attached.
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

StarGoldLHR

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:25 pm

Yes but any US carrier with it's 747 on a commute from say FRA-LHR-NYC will be eaten alive by Ryanair, Easyjet etc competition on air fares. If UA etc can make a profit solely on business passengers between FRA-JFK then good luck to them but I dont hold out much hope.

As a British Citizen and Star Gold FF, I dont care for BA/VS, but look forwards to bmi !!! There long haul is much better than any US carrier's service. Thats hardly a british loss. If any EU star alliance carrier wants to use LHR.. then great.. more the merrier, as a European thats better and better, as a Star Gold FF and passenger.. even more.
And if BA are so mortally wounded.. maybe they should look at a FRA and CDG to JFK too !
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

StarGoldLHR

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:29 pm

Am I missing something?

AF Can fly FRA-JFK if they wanted, before they could not.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

StarGoldLHR

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:31 pm

Once again the USA has got everything it wanted but what has the EU and especially the UK got ? NOTHING . Now we will have those great dinosaurs in LHR being propped up financially by bankrupcy protection. They will be demanding they are given slots taken away from BA next. SOLD OUT ONCE AGAIN

Have you forgotten about BMI ? They can replace BA if they go out of business. But then again so can LH.

NYC777

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:31 pm

So I assume it is a done deal and wil now go into force on March 31, 2008? Does the US side have to get approvals from Congress before it goes into effect?

[Edited 2007-03-22 15:32:08]
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

donder10

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 26):
Well United just got a good deal from Delta selling the London/New York route authority only to be able to operate it again come next Spring (not that they would).

I believe that the agreement made provisions for Open Skies occuring in that Delta would have to pay less if it came about within a certain time period.

panamair

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:38 pm

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 29):
Yes but any US carrier with it's 747 on a commute from say FRA-LHR-NYC will be eaten alive by Ryanair, Easyjet etc competition on air fares.

Precisely my earlier point that it's all hot air about cabotage within the US and EU...US carriers have long learnt since the Pan Am and TWA days (a different era) that it's not worth their while to fly intra-Europe flights (DL's shutting of the PA FRA hub, UA jettisoning LHR-Continental Europe routes). Besides, look at CO and DL's strategies re: their European ops - nonstops from their US hubs to more and more secondary cities, bypassing any sort of European hub.

The converse would be true for European airlines seeking cabotage in the US. If AF thinks they can extend their CDG-JFK 77W from JFK to SFO with one or even two flights a day, they'd be eaten alive by B6, Virgin America and even the other legacies with their lower unit costs and multiple daily flights....same thing with Willie Walsh's pronouncement today that BA would be interested in serving some transcon markets (JFK to the West Coast, where else?). How is BA going to do this profitably? Base an A320 fleet at JFK? (too expensive)... Use 777s from LHR-JFK to continue to the West Coast (too much capacity and not enough frequencies - AA has 10-11 dailies between JFK and LAX alone).....

masseybrown

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:49 pm

Quoting BoomBoom (Reply 28):
Very few airlines took the government money because there were too many strings attached.

ALL US airlines took the government grant money, pretty hefty amounts intended to compensate for loss of business and security impositions. Few, however, applied for the guaranteed loans and even fewer got them.

vinniewinnie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:52 pm

I haven't seen any comments suggesting that due to this deal European integration will make a huge step forward! Airlines were up to now reluctant to merge because of this ownership issue affecting services to the US! Now European airlines can merge at will which is what the EU really wants!

If BA is ambitious it could definately be a winner of this deal since it is one of the few carriers which has enough strengh the go on a shopping trip!

Btw does this deal affect EFTA as well? because if it does it certainly means that Lufthansa and swiss can fully merge as well!

StarGoldLHR

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 18):
Does the deal affect the non-EU states (Serbia, Croatia etc) which are signatories to the EU Open Skies Treaty?

I would imagine so, this is an European Aviation treaty, negotiatied by the EU, not an EU bound treaty. I would imagine this applies to Norway, Iceland and Switzerland to.

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 19):
AF/KL will be the big winner on the EU side. I imagine AF taking most of the KL North America operations... In addition, this will make their LHR a golden mine due to the "insane" number of slots they owe

I dont think so. AF could have ended KL's US operations by private negotiation. Move over I can imagine there becoming some interesting US cycles... AMS-JFK-MAN-JFK-AMS cycles with aircraft

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 20):
real gold mine can be the BMI investment of LH + SK. They have the slots and can easily use these for US services.

More likely will be a big cash injection by SK and LH into BD. Remember BD only has 3x A330, it will need long haul aircraft (which LH can provide) and BD can offer the slots. However I expect (for good marketing reasons) the BD brand will remain on the aircraft, even though it's LH under the hood. (just like LX).
However it looks like happy days for Star Alliance in london....finally !!!

Quoting Jonathan-l (Reply 24):

EU has a drudge of highly profitable airlines. Some cash rich from Long Haul, others cash rich from budget operations.
US Long Haul airlines are all poverty struck, they wont be able to compete on price or service within the EU unless they invest considerably in EU Specific short haul aircraft.

The other possibility is opening of otherwise non-profitable routes to the US from the EU.
Most nations "2nd/3rd Cities" have a poor air service for long haul (such as BHX, NCL, Marseille, Toulouse, Berlin, Malmo, Gothenburg, Venice, Naples, Krakow, Thessaloniki and so on)

Maybe JFK-NCL-TXL may become a viable operation.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 25):
You think you are comparing EU-US-US to US-EU-EU, but you are really comparing FR-US-US to US-FR-UK.

Whats the difference ? FR-US-US to US-FR (EU) - UK (EU)

The EU is not a sovereign nation, it's a group of sovereign nations that prefer to negotiate as a block.

Exactly, it the US thats failing to recognise the EU as one trading block. The EU could have chosen to just re-organise and allow it's EU carriers to operate from any EU airport to the US and not offer the US anything. This would have only lead to a trade war. Instead they offered the US something of very little value and a mass investment in the EU by US airlines that try and a mass injection to the EU of cash, which ultimately may end up abandoned in Europe when they are beaten by EU Competition and European attitudes that Americans just dont understand.

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 26):

They certainly did ! The fact that UA dropped JFK-LHR shows that this route isnt the pot of gold everyone thinks this is.

only AI/KU have kept it open and thats only cos of it's own onward feed from their own countries.

The fact that 8 months on DL is still 1 a day shows that they are not bailing hay whilst the sunshines either.

ikramerica

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting Scotron11 (Reply 5):
Only change I see is the implementation date. From Oct07 until Mar08, the way I read it. Goodo! Finally Bermuda II is laid to rest!! R . I. P.

Sounds reasonable.

That is not the definition of open skies anyway, and your analysis is wrong. A US airline can't fly within an EU country (LHR-MAN for example) nor "whatever they like" in the EU, either.

Hopefully, UK posters will stop whining about this if it's a done deal. The red herring arguments are getting tiring.

WIll you all still be complaining with VS grows and you can fly them JFK-CDG? When prices and options for LHR increase and you are no longer at the whim of BA for inter-EU as well as transatlantic travel?

We'll see.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

panamair

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 37):
The fact that 8 months on DL is still 1 a day shows that they are not bailing hay whilst the sunshines either.

The service started Nov 15 2006; it has been running for 4 months. In 10 days (April 1), the second daily will start.

TropicBird

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:02 pm

Doesn't the U.S. Congress have to buy into this first before it becomes a reality? Maybe that is why it was watered down, to get their blessing because they were not going to approve the earlier version. Until Congress approves this, I believe it is still an open matter on the U.S. side. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

burnsie28

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:07 pm

Are you serious, carriers in Europe and British carriers can fly to any US City from any city in Europe now. How is that not getting anything, the US gets access to LHR... thats about it really.

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 35):
ALL US airlines took the government grant money,

Wrong, Southwest and Northwest did not take the money, because its not a true grant, it has to be paid back.

AeroWesty

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:38 pm

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 22):
Open Skies was all about LHR rights and AF/KL full integration

Let's not leap ahead too far. The U.S. is not the only country where bilaterals govern air traffic. If the AF/KL dual structure was done away with, it would impact every other bilateral France and The Netherlands have signed.
International Homo of Mystery

nyc2theworld

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:40 pm

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 37):

Whats the difference ? FR-US-US to US-FR (EU) - UK (EU)

The UK is still its own sovereign nation. France is still its on sovereign nation. The Head of state of France and the Head of Government in each country is different. Each country in the EU has the opportunity if the will and fight is there to end their association with the EU and negotiate various treaties on their behalf, they still have a political/economic/social structure to fall back on.

The United States is different. There is no "New Jersey Dollar", there is no "New York Department of State" or various other division of a government on a state level that deal DIRECTLY with foreign governments in negotiating treaties. The states have given up many more rights and responsibilities to our federal government to act on their behalf with foreign nations than sovereign nations in Europe have given to the EU. The fact that there is still border controls between some countries in Europe is a prime example of this. There are no border/passport controls between New Jersey and New York.

So to compare the EU, which is a Economic and Monetary Union/Common Market (depending if the country's currency is the Euro) to a sovereign nation its flawed.

Just because the Schengen treaty has eliminated many inter-country borders in Europe, doesn't mean the US has to open its borders as if it was an EU member country.
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

cainanuk

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:50 pm

I am just worried about my job. If my employer (BD) moves all our longhaul services to LHR, and ends up abandoning MAN (ala BA) for just a bunch of LHR shuttles, I may be working for a handling agent.
Cainan Cornelius

PanHAM

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting NYC2theworld (Reply 43):

So to compare the EU, which is a Economic and Monetary Union/Common Market (depending if the country's currency is the Euro) to a sovereign nation its flawed.

Interesting that we are discussing Hybrids these days.

Yes and no to the above. The single member countries have delegated a lot of their sovereignty to the EU commission, the EU commission negotiates on behalf of the member states and the member states are well advised to always have their competent staff at the negotiating table so that they can intervene.

When a consenses is found, at the end of the day, ratification by all member states (plus the countries of the EU common aviation zone) should be (not always is) a formality.