AIRFORCE1
Topic Author

DC-3 Ride

Fri Jul 28, 2000 5:08 am

For all of you who admire restored aircraft, I got to spend an evening drinking champagne aboard Continental's wonderfully restored DC-3A. We flew up the north coast of Lake Erie from Cleveland/Hopkins to the Sansusky area and watched the sun go down. What an awsome plane! The crew was great and the ride was as smooth as any new airliner I have been on (just not as quiet).

Hats off to Continental for having such a wonderful piece of history for the public to see and fly on.

RE: DC-3 Ride

Fri Jul 28, 2000 5:10 am

so how can the public see and fly on it?

AIRFORCE1
Topic Author

Fri Jul 28, 2000 5:52 am

In my case it was because I was attending a shindig at Hopkins airport for the 75th anniversary but from time to time it shows up at various locations. If you can get close enough, ask the crew for a ride and they can put you on the list.

It it worth the trouble.

j.

exnonrev

Fri Jul 28, 2000 6:03 am

CO doesn't usually sell DC-3 rides to the public except for special occasions such as the CLE 75th anniversary this week. They usually fly the a/c around the system from time to time giving rides to employees.

They also make a small number of airshow appearances each year. I don't think there's a schedule on CAL's website. If any CO employee with access to Sonic reads this, there is a schedule under GG DC3 or something like that.

I paid $50 for a ride at last year's IAH Appreciation Day. Worth every penny.

AIRFORCE1
Topic Author

Fri Jul 28, 2000 9:29 pm

Correct. In my case I was lucky and did not pay a dime due to a special invite from the airport folks. I forgot to mention that he pilots took us up again. I am setting them up with some GPS units for thier private planes.

J.

LGW

I Did!

Sat Jul 29, 2000 2:22 am

I flew on a DC3 SOUTH COAST AIRWAYS nice

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos