DYK
Topic Author

Harmony Suspending Scheduled Service

Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:37 am

News on CBC radio this morning Harmony will suspend scheduled service effective march 30. Harmony will still be operational but as a charter carrier?
AC,CP,PW,WD,ND,UA,AA,NW,CO,DL,WA,AS,QX,PR,SQ,AI,TG,MH,JL,9W,IC,UL,PG,BW,NZ,QF,DJ,BA,LH,KL,OA,OS,ME,RJ,HA,AQ

fly2yyz

RE: Harmony Suspending Scheduled Service

Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:43 am

As listed on their website:

http://www.harmonyairways.com/

NOTICE

We're sad to announce Harmony Airways will stop scheduled service to and from Toronto on March 30, and all other scheduled service on April 9, 2007. To be clear, we will be flying on those dates.

Harmony has always been committed to providing the best in flight service in Canada, and we apologize for the convenience this causes.

If you have a ticket to fly to or from Toronto before March 30, 2007 or any other route before April 9, 2007, we'll continue to operate our full scheduled service until that date.

We wanted to give our passengers as much advance notice as possible, and minimize the impact on their spring break and Easter travel plans.

At the same time, we'll arrange for full refunds to anyone already booked to travel with us to Toronto after March 30, or any other destination after April 9, and we'll refund the return portion for anyone flying one way before these dates.

If you booked directly with your travel agent, please contact them for more information as we will be working with travel agents to update customers.

Passengers with a Harmony Airways Flexi Pass or Infinity Pass will be refunded the unused portion of their pass. Your refund will come from either Harmony or your travel agent.

We've enjoyed serving you for the past four years and thank you again for flying with Harmony.

OceansWorld

Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:43 am

What about their code-share service with Air Pacific ?

LAXintl

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:00 am

I'm amazed they lasted this long. Off course helps to have deep private funding.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

FLYACYYZ

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting OceansWorld (Reply 3):

The code-share was a recent development. Why would they have wasted the time, money and energy knowing that the writing was on the wall. Their cessation of scheduled service is not an overnight development. Too bad...they have a very good product.
Above and Beyond

CXH

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:18 am

Here's the press release that's been floating around. Similar text to the website but mentions the layoffs.

Sounds alot like the CanJet situation: End scheduled service properly, refund customers for unused tickets, payoff suppliers. Maybe they'll come back and do charters like CanJet? Who knows......

BTW: Notice that is is not "Dr. David Ho" in the press release, but just "David Ho". Wonder if it has anything to do with Ho being caught by Vancouver police with two prostitutes and drugs in his Porsche at 2am in the Downtown Eastside a few weeks ago?

---------------------------------------------

PRESS RELEASE:

Harmony Airways Restructures, Ends Scheduled Flights

Vancouver, BC (March 27, 2007): Harmony Airways and its packaged vacation company, Harmony Vacations, are ending scheduled service to and from Toronto on March 30, 2007, and all other scheduled flights on April 9, 2007, as the four year old Vancouver-based airline explores other opportunities and business models, including charters.

"This is the restructuring of a going concern company that will continue to treat its customers, suppliers and employees fairly," explained David Ho, Harmony's owner. "I want to be very clear, this is not a bankruptcy. This is not a creditor protection arrangement and this is not a company dissolution.

"Our last scheduled flights to and from Toronto will be on March 30, and scheduled service to all other destinations will end April 9. We wanted to give our passengers as much advance notice as possible, and minimize the impact on their spring break and Easter travel plans."

Harmony will provide full refunds to anyone already booked to travel to or from Toronto after March 30, or any other destination after April 9. The airline will also refund the value of the return portion of tickets for anyone booked to return on Harmony after these dates.

"Passengers who booked their trip through Harmony Vacations and complete their trip before April 30, 2007, will be re-booked by Harmony Vacations," explained Ho. "In the next few days, our website will provide more detailed passenger information."

Ho said increasing operating costs, overcapacity in the market and aggressive price competition from larger carriers prompted Harmony to end its scheduled service and look at other possible business models. Meanwhile, the airline, which began flying in November, 2002, will be giving lay-off notices to most of its 350 staff.

"Harmony, as a company, will continue as we look at new opportunities and business models," noted Ho. "For more than four years, our entire team has worked hard to deliver a memorable travel experience from a locally owned and operated airline. As a result, I want to thank all of the people who traveled with us and made us part of their vacation plans. At the same time, I want to recognize the tremendous work and professionalism of our staff in helping provide a first rate product that thousands of travelers enjoyed over the past four years. I'm very proud of all our people.

"I also want to thank Kirk Henderson, our interim President, for stepping into a challenging situation a few months ago and working with our employees, our customers and suppliers."

Over the past four years, Harmony's destinations have included Honolulu, Maui, Las Vegas, New York, Palm Springs, San Francisco and Toronto.

In the next few days, Harmony Airways passengers will find flight and ticket information at www.harmonyairways.com, or by calling the airline's call centre at 1-866-868-6789. Harmony Vacations customers will find information at www.harmonyvacations.com or by calling Harmony's call centre.

-30-

Media contact:

Norman Stowe

604 646 3556
I've seen the future, I can't afford it. - Martin Fry

multimark

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:22 am

Quoting OceansWorld (Reply 3):

A bit strange they would just sign that deal, and then bail out. Air Pacific must be steamed.

Steelhead

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:35 am

May be flyGlobespan should have a look at these 757 planes. One is allready at YHM inside the Ontario
Flightcraft hangar right now.

MSYYZ

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:38 am

Although i am surprised that this is happening without any warning signs , but I have to say that I am impressed with their professionalism and their sense of responsibility . Just compare how they are handling it to the way Jetsgo handled their demise ( although in Harmony case it is not a demise ) .

[Edited 2007-03-27 21:43:34]
A346,A343,A342,A332,A333,A310,A300,AB6,A319,A320,A321,B741,B744,B777,B767,B732,B735,B727,B707,B757,MD80,F-70,E-170,B738

fly2yyz

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:53 am

Quoting STEELHEAD (Reply 8):
One is allready at YHM inside the Ontario

I believe that is the one for Z4 no?

Anyway harmony was a great airline with great service....compared to what ya get on AC... unfortunately it wasnt viable i guess....

LASoctoberB6

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:00 am

does this mean that they will continue charter services and wasn't Harmony called HMY before? (what is the cause of the cancelation of scheduled service? Ma wants to know)
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

Viscount724

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:07 am

Quoting CXH (Reply 6):
Wonder if it has anything to do with Ho being caught by Vancouver police with two prostitutes and drugs in his Porsche at 2am in the Downtown Eastside a few weeks ago?

Related item re the above incident.
http://iagblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/...ug-parker-aced-by-dr-david-ho.html

CXH

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:39 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 11):
does this mean that they will continue charter services and wasn't Harmony called HMY before? (what is the cause of the cancelation of scheduled service? Ma wants to know

They had announced previously that they were dropping LAS. Apparently Harmony Vacations were going to protect and/or keep selling LAS using the PR flights (flight is MNL-YVR-LAS).

As for the cause: the local feeling in Vancouver is that David Ho had been pumping money into the airline for years and still hadn't got the Canada-China flights he wanted. I hear service levels were great. But for a 3 or 4 aircraft airline which has been mostly Canada-Hawaii for the last year or two, they advertised a lot. Probably wasn't cheap. I should mention they also went through several strategies in four years (opened their own call centre, then closed it and outsourced a year or two later, they started flying to Mexico as a charter for the first season or two then dropped that).

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 12):
Related item re the above incident.

As for David Ho's personal problems, I only mentioned that in passing. I'm sure the airline could have been viable without him running it, provided they had his financial backing. I couldn't find any archived local media about it, but found the Global TV item on youtube. BTW: the item says "arrested" but I only heard he was given a roadside suspension.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74gwjO7X4Fw
I've seen the future, I can't afford it. - Martin Fry

Steelhead

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:19 am

C-GTSN is still inside the hangar at YHM (with full titles)

congaboy

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:31 am

Quoting Fly2YYZ (Reply 10):
unfortunately it wasnt viable i guess....

I am not sure what was when reviewing what they were trying to accomplish. They never had a "viable" strategy, it seemed...not really anything that seemed to differentiate them. I know at one point they wanted China service, which to me had merit, but I think they were trying to build the airline through leisure concentration, which never gets you good yields.
"Joey, you like movies about gladiators?"

yvr1968

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:21 am

This is almost anti-climactic... like the writing was on the wall...

Still unfortunate for any airline to suspend service.

I wonder if Air Pacific will still continue to fly to YVR now?

stirling

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:42 am

The Airliners/Airways Jinx Strikes Again.

All to often, when an airline is the cover story (or a featured article) in one of these magazines, they shut down before the next issue is out!
I cannot count how many times this has happened...in recent memory, Midway, National, Independence, Chalks, Southern Winds, Air Madrid, CanJet, JetsGo, the list goes on....
Delete this User

multimark

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:47 am

This leaves AC alone in the field between Canada and Hawaii during the summer months. A far cry from the days when CP would serve YVR-HNL along with Western, Wardair, and CO(?) I wonder if WS will rethink being seasonal, or if AQ will reintroduce service. Even better, would Hawaiian consider the market?

MCOflyer

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:54 am

Good luck whatever they choose to do. If they go, the 757's will be picked up ASAP by FX or other carriers.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

pacifica

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:14 am

Although Harmony certain doom has been pretty apparent for the last little while, it's still unfortunate to see this happen. I've never personally flown with them, but I've heard nothing but good things from those who have. Hopefully the airline will still live on strong as a charter operation, which may in fact help them as Harmony did mainly focus on leisure travellers...

A332

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:14 am

Quoting Multimark (Reply 18):
This leaves AC alone in the field between Canada and Hawaii during the summer months.

It's not really a Canadian destination in the summer months anyway... so I doubt it's much of a money maker during the 'off season' for any of the carriers, which is why WS is smart in going with seasonal routes.

Not shocked about Harmony at all... they never made much sense, business-wise.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

TheCol

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:15 am

Apparently most, if not all, of their 350 employees will be laid off. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole airline folds up soon.

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/st...4a4-4320-99ae-fc25f3728cad&k=59417
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

SkyyMaster

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:22 am

Quoting Stirling (Reply 17):

Dang it! You beat me to the punch on this one. Airliner World mag also just ran a story on them and their "bright" future. Can't say I'm surprised though. Too bad, I always hate to see an airline die, even if their livery was pretty awful.

fly_yhm

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:13 am

Quoting STEELHEAD (Reply 8):
May be flyGlobespan should have a look at these 757 planes. One is allready at YHM inside the Ontario

Thats the first thing I thought when I read this.

Im also wondering why they had been advertizing so much around Hamilton Like tonnes of billboards, I actually like the Billboards the have a nice 757 on them.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

YVRLTN

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:43 pm

Quoting STEELHEAD (Reply 14):
C-GTSN is still inside the hangar at YHM (with full titles)

This is the one for Z4 and the first returned a few weeks back (was lsf Arkia Leasing). I presume the second aircraft to be dumped is GMYE (lsf GECAS) as the other two are from the same lessor (Boeing Capital). Can anyone confirm?
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

easyas321

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:58 pm

so who will fill the gap? Zoom ?

fly_yhm

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:59 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 25):
This is the one for Z4

Who si Z4 nothng show up witht he mouse over.

Will it leave YHM painting in this airlines scheme?

IS there any chance that GSM could get 1 or 2 of these 757s?
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

easyas321

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:10 pm

Quoting Fly_yhm (Reply 27):
IS there any chance that GSM could get 1 or 2 of these 757s?

or Zoom ?

Who's going to fill the gap left by Harmony?

astral

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:11 pm

Harmony is keeping the two B757s from Boeing Capital, as they owned them. C-GTSN was returned for more than 7 days already, and is going to Zoom, then C-GMYE will return to GECAS later after scheduled operations shut down.
Staffs will start to decrease as after shutdown, but at least about 25-30 will stay to 'man' the station until further note of re-start. It seems charter operations is very likely as Harmony was origional a charter carrier, and there is still a charter equipment market in Western Canada (both Airtransat and Skyservice are East Coast based) for tour operators to tab into without paying for aircraft and crew positioning.

9252fly

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:30 pm

Quoting Easyas321 (Reply 28):
Who's going to fill the gap left by Harmony?

I should think that AC and WS will easily fill the void left by Harmony's exit from scheduled service. It's very unfortunate that the business environment is so difficult for a small player like them. WS and AC are in a dogfight with very low fare offerings that make margins very tight,especially so for Harmony that has tried to remain a full service scheduled carrier. As much as people keep insisting that consumers will play a little extra for service,it's clear that they will vote in most cases with their pocketbook in mind and complain later about the lack of service. You can't have it both ways!

avt007

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:47 pm

Quoting 9252fly (Reply 30):
they will vote in most cases with their pocketbook in mind and complain later about the lack of service.

Well said! That sums up the sad state of this industry. I've often said that airline customers get exactly what they ask for- low cost, crappy service.

sebring

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:52 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 21):
It's not really a Canadian destination in the summer months anyway... so I doubt it's much of a money maker during the 'off season' for any of the carriers, which is why WS is smart in going with seasonal routes.

Of course, with Harmony out, AC will have it to itself, and Hawaii still gets enough summer business to support one operator, especially since some days, AC's only flight continues on to Australia.

F9Animal

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:57 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 17):

All to often, when an airline is the cover story (or a featured article) in one of these magazines, they shut down before the next issue is out!
I cannot count how many times this has happened...in recent memory, Midway, National, Independence, Chalks, Southern Winds, Air Madrid, CanJet, JetsGo, the list goes on....

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 23):
Dang it! You beat me to the punch on this one. Airliner World mag also just ran a story on them and their "bright" future. Can't say I'm surprised though. Too bad, I always hate to see an airline die, even if their livery was pretty awful.

You all beat me to it! I noticed in the issue that there was a side note that the former President Gary Collins resigned, and stated that it was to look for other opportunities. He also said that his departure should not be seen as trouble for the fledgling airline.

Usually when they leave like that, it is a bad sign.

Whatever the case, I hope that Harmony survives. I was tempted to give them a try.
I Am A Different Animal!!

easyas321

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:46 pm

Quoting Sebring (Reply 32):
especially since some days, AC's only flight continues on to Australia.

AC flies everyday YVR/HNL/SYD & back same way but from mid DEC will no longer fly HNL/SYD/HNL, which should help HA & QF/JQ.

What will FJ do now that they won't have a codeshare partner HNL/YVR? Will they continue to fly HNL/YVR/HNL twice a week with a 737?

CF188A

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:44 pm

Zoom is to acquire some of Harmony's 757. Heard that from a contact at Zoom.

cheers
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

easyas321

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting CF188A (Reply 35):
Zoom is to acquire some of Harmony's 757. Heard that from a contact at Zoom.

lots of questions, come ot mind ...

how many is some ? Where will they be used? On thin routes where hard to fill 767? Which rutes could Z4 operate nonstop with a 752?

This will free up 767(s)? If so, where will 767's be used instead?

Or has this been in the works for a while? Are the new Halifax routes to Belfast & Paris able to be operated with a 752 ?

Are engines on these 752's similar type to Zoom's 767 engines? (for easier servicing)

flyboy2001

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:51 am

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 31):
That sums up the sad state of this industry. I've often said that airline customers get exactly what they ask for- low cost, crappy service.

CBC Radio One in Vancouver had John Nance on this morning and he very eloquently pointed out numerous flaws in both Harmony's business plan and the deregulation of the industry. What I took most from what he said was that airlines should not be allowed to price a product for less than what it costs to produce it - simple, really. You can't have the very core of your business also be a loss leader, can you? This, according to Nance, is at the heart of the "Canadian startup airlines are doomed" issue.
And you... Revolution, or just resistance?

yow

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting Flyboy2001 (Reply 37):
can't have the very core of your business also be a loss leader, can you?

But if you don't have loss leader buckets, then how would you ever be able to hold a seat sale? or stimulate demand on a route?

I sure hope Zoom picks up the remaining Harmony 757s. With 767s being scare, they could sure use these birds...especially to add new frequencies on existing routes and to launch new routes from their smaller bases.

Harmony had a poor business plan...if they even had one at all. They wanted to be full-service airline on mostly low yield leisure routes. Their only real business route was YVR-YYZ 1x/day (not exactly catering to the biz clientele with that frequency). Why would they try to compete on a route where AC & WS combined have 20 flights a day?...even more in high season. No doubt their loads would have been far better than 20% had they chosen to fly YVR-YOW/YUL instead of obsessing with the centre of the universe. Harmony and CanJet both failed doing so.

Zoom, unlike Harmony, Z4 actually have a niche being a transatlantic LCC (and capacity provider for Go Travel) and look who's growing and look who's going.

bmacleod

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:27 am

Sad to see end of scheduled 757 service in Canada. (I'm talking Canada-owned airlines not U.S., Mexican or European airlines). Transat went all-Airbus 4 years ago, Canada 3000 went bankrupt in 2001....

To bad Westjet has a 737-only policy, 757s in Westjet colors would look awesome!!!
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

BA84

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:28 am

YOW,

You either work for Zoom, or at YOW.
Can you give us a realistic appraisal of Zoom's plan for 2007-8?
They're adding a 757 from HMY to their 4 767's?

BA84

threepoint

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting Bmacleod (Reply 39):
757s in Westjet colors would look awesome!!!

That's certainly up for debate. Great airline, awful livery. On any aircraft type.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

flyboy2001

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:06 am

Quoting YOW (Reply 38):
But if you don't have loss leader buckets, then how would you ever be able to hold a seat sale? or stimulate demand on a route?

Oh, for sure you need things like that. I just think that HMY tried too hard to do high quality on the cheap with a small fleet and few routes. They didn't have enough infrastructure to support such an approach - ie, a super cheap seat sale to Vegas being absorbed by profits from numerous other routes.

flyboy2001

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:23 am

I suppose having a contest where a 215lb man wins his weight in gold was, perhaps, not the best thing to do either.

multimark

Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:08 am

Quoting Flyboy2001 (Reply 42):
just think that HMY tried too hard to do high quality on the cheap with a small fleet and few routes.

The real problem is they couldn't decide on what they were. Why would a leisure airline do dailies YVR-YYZ? There wasn't a hope in heck they could compete for business traffic with that. They should have branded themselves strictly as a leisure airline, ripped out the J class seats and concentrated on Hawaii, LA (maybe a seconday airport), and looked at Florida destinations from YVR (not served since AC cxl'd YVR-MIA).

I feel for those (including some on this board) who are losing jobs because of this. Unfortunately I think HMY will disappear completely after a suitable face-saving interval for Dr. Ho (couple of months?).

flyboy2001

Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:31 am

Quoting Multimark (Reply 44):
The real problem is they couldn't decide on what they were.

Well, that's true isn't it... didn't they have several different business plans over the course of their existance?

yow

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:32 am

Quoting BA84 (Reply 40):
YOW,

You either work for Zoom, or at YOW.
Can you give us a realistic appraisal of Zoom's plan for 2007-8?
They're adding a 757 from HMY to their 4 767's?

I've never worked for Zoom...but I have flown them.  Wink I did at one time work at YOW, but this doesn't have anything to do with that. I do know for sure that they're acquiring 1 Harmony 757. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to see Z4 acquire all 4.

I haven't got a clue as to what their 2008 plans are, although I hope it involves a couple of new YOW routes.

OceansWorld

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:47 am

Has anyone read the multi-pages report on the latest issue of Airways ?

astral

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:15 am

I don't think Harmony will let go the two B757s they owned any time soon. If they re-start as a charter carrier later in the year to capture the high season sun destinations traffic, they would need these 2 planes.
Further more they can trade them in for other equipments ( 2 B757s for 3 B737-3 or 2 B757s for 1 B767-3 plus add lease another B767) to cater for their future routes.
More to come later.

DYK
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:23 am

Quoting YOW" class=quote target=_blank>YOW (Reply 38):
Harmony had a poor business plan...if they even had one at all. They wanted to be full-service airline on mostly low yield leisure routes. Their only real business route was YVR-YYZ 1x/day (not exactly catering to the biz clientele with that frequency). Why would they try to compete on a route where AC & WS combined have 20 flights a day?...even more in high season. No doubt their loads would have been far better than 20% had they chosen to fly YVR-YOW/YUL instead of obsessing with the centre of the universe. Harmony and CanJet both failed doing so.

I think one thing Harmony did have was deep pockets which really eroded any need for a good business plan. This airline was more of a hooby for Mr Ho than anything. I am sad to see them go and i was looking forward with hope of a western based carrier much like CP to look out for the interests of western Canadian business and travellin public.
AC,CP,PW,WD,ND,UA,AA,NW,CO,DL,WA,AS,QX,PR,SQ,AI,TG,MH,JL,9W,IC,UL,PG,BW,NZ,QF,DJ,BA,LH,KL,OA,OS,ME,RJ,HA,AQ