mandala499

Indonesia Aviation Thread 1

Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:47 pm

With the industry going haywire, crashes and incidents... etc...
I think Indonesia deserves it's own Aviation thread here on a.net!

Here goes the inevitable... Let's see the recent developments...

INDUSTRY:

Airline Categories Announced by the Government

Category 1: Satisfied all safety requirements and beyond.
NO AIRLINE

Category 2: Satisfied all safety requirements.
CASR121 Operators:
Garuda, Merpati, Mandala, Trigana, Pelita, Indonesia Air Asia, Lion Air, Wings, Riau Airlines, Express Air, Sriwijaya Air, RPX, Express Transportasi Antar Benua (who the hell is this?)

CASR135 Operators:
Pelita Air, Airfast, Trigana, Travira, Derazona, National Utility Helicopters, Deraya Air Taxi, SMAC, Indonesia Air Transport, Gatari, Intan Angkasa Air, Air Pacific Utama, Transwisata, Puri Wisata, Angkasa Semesta, Aviastar, National Calibration Agency, Express Transportasi Antar Buana, Sampoerna Air, Eastindo.

Category 3: Satisfied most safety requirements, and given 3 months to get their acts together.
CASR121 Operators:
Kartika Air, Batavia Air, Transwisata, TriMG, Manunggal Air cargo, Adam Air, Jatayu Air (Not Operating)

CASR135:
Helizona (inactive), Sayap Garuda, Penas, GT Air, Dirgantara Air Service, Kura-Kura Aviation, Asco Nusa Air, Atlas Deltasatya, Susi Air, Dabi Air, AirTransport Service, Aviasi, Alfa Trans, Prodexim.

Airlines

Garuda:

GA200 crash investigation is now entering the analysis phase. CVR and FDR data now collected. Rumours circulating on Captain suffering partial incapacity and F/O failed to take appropriate action.

25 738 orders
Not sure if this an additional order or a new order.

2 738 leases cancelled.
Rumours circulating now that due to the GA200 crash, the leases on 2 738s ex Turkey that was to arrive here the end of this year has been cancelled.

Adam Air:
Management issued new panic directive, that is no airplane is allowed to fly with any deferred items. As a result, on the first day, only 30 flights made it out of CGK in comparison with the normal 80.

All flight crews at Adam Air is undergoing mandatory retraining.

Indonesia Air Transport:
Management protested on being placed as Category II by the government, citing that the categorisation is groundless. The management stated no one had come to their offices to review any documentation whatsoever.

Batavia Air
Management stated they were not surprised they were placed under Category III.

Lion Air
Pontianak route reopened using the 737-400.

Sriwijaya Air
Lease of 737-300s rumoured to have been cancelled because of the possibility of the government issuing a new directive that used aircraft brought into the country must be less than 10 years old and cannot be used beyond the age of 20 years.

Airline has decided to stop recruiting direct entry captains after rumoured to have found irregularities on flights operated by direct entry captains from other airlines.

Airports:

CGK:
Liquids, Aerosols and Gels in Hand Luggage
The 100ml each pack and 1 liter total limits on handluggage will apply for intl departures ex CGK from 31st March. Duty free and medical/diet/baby requirements exempt. Expect large queues on the initial implementation phase.

SUB:
Indonesia Air Asia discovered a security flaw in Surabaya the other day. It was reported that a crew impersonator made it to the gate where he was intercepted by QZ ground staff upon noticing an outdated ID tag. The impersonator claimed he was from another airline (with his uniform representing that airline). Apparently he left the scene before security arrived at the scene. Indonesia Air Asia is looking into this.

PGK/Pangkal Pinang
Lightning strike rendered the VORDME and NDB inoperative. Back online since 25th March.

MES/Medan
After receiving a complaint on poor radar vectoring where an airliner was vectored into a mountain and numerous complaints on the U/S VORDME, vectoring has improved and the VOR/DME now back inline.

Pontianak
After resurfacing completed some time ago, the runway strength grade has been upgraded to 31 FCXT, enabling airlines to use 737-400s into the airport. Lion Air has reopened Pontianak as a result.

-----------

So let's see what we can discuss/slander/laugh at/praise...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

n757kw

RE: Indonesia Aviation Thread 1

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting Mandala499 (Thread starter):
CGK:
Liquids, Aerosols and Gels in Hand Luggage
The 100ml each pack and 1 liter total limits on handluggage will apply for intl departures ex CGK from 31st March. Duty free and medical/diet/baby requirements exempt. Expect large queues on the initial implementation phase

Just want to clarify for my travel purposes. Only 100ml containers can go through security up to 1 liter in individual 100ml containers? So much for the first leg of the return trip with a bottle of water.

Quoting Mandala499 (Thread starter):
Batavia Air
Management stated they were not surprised they were placed under Category III.

Now I have to ask, why were they not surprised? I would have thought Batavia was not that bad.

My wife and kids are flying from Jambi to Palembang on Riau next week. I guess I better pray to the airline gods. I've been doing that a lot lately with all the missing AKEs I have had of late.  Silly
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

mandala499

Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:12 am

It's 100ml per item, and per pax limit total is 1 liter.
If more, it goes to the checked baggage.
It applies to intl flights.

Mandala499

blrBird

Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 2):
Mandala499

Any updates on liberalizing air traffic rights between SIN-Indoneisa so that more LCC's can operate between these two countries?
from star dust....

macilree

Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:13 pm

Last year Garuda Indonesia announced that it was suspending its Denpasar-Brisbane-Auckland service from 19 November 2006 until 25 March 2007. The service to AKL has not been resumed (14 March 2007 Garuda press statement).

John Macilree's Weblog
John Macilree

UAEflyer

Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:15 pm

Are they any private airlines, or airports in Indonesia

mandala499

Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:58 pm

Just another one on Adam Air...
First Officers are not to be pilot flying during take off and landings until further notice!

*shakes head*

Private airports?
Lido Flying Club
Bali Buleleng
Batam Aeroclub airstrip.

Pondok Cabe Airport Jakarta (Pelita)
Dumai Pinang Kampai airport (Pelita)
Lhokseumawe Malikussaleh airport (Exxon)
Muara Badak Airport (dunno which oil company)
There's another oil airport somewhere near Bawean
There's one also between Pekanbaru and Rengat, owned by a paper mill.
---

Private airlines? You mean privately owned or owns private airplanes?  Smile
All airlines are private except for Garuda, Merpati, who are owned by the govt. Then Pelita is owned by the national oil company.

Mandala499

Jan Mogren

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:18 pm

Any news on 747SP VH-OZX ?
Still in Garuda hangar? Condition?

I haven't heard anything for awhile.

/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

thaia345

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:36 pm

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 2):
It's 100ml per item, and per pax limit total is 1 liter.

Well, I really don't know whether to take this as a major step forward or just trying to keep international observers happy. I think all airports in Indonesia need to be much tighter in security, especially with crew and airport personnel. I think in Asia, KLIA has a good example whereby all airport staff have to go swipe their id cards upon entering airside and also it comes along with a fingerprint id scan. Nothing new in the world, but something that Indonesia will probably not implement in a long time!!

With airlines...I don't raelly care much for the categorization of airlines. For me, my family and all my staff, on GA is the way to go.

We rally need 9M-MAR in on this topic too. He should be happier to know that Lion has resumed the PNK service.

mandala499

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:43 am

-OZX?
Still in Garuda Maintenance Facility, but the condition is deteriorating... hasn't been cleaned much and I doubt the engine runs were done... if it still has the engines... gotta ask friends who went there last month....

Mandala499

gffgold

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:43 am

It is a mystery to me why the liquids rule has suddenly been implemented here. Like M499 I can only imagine it is for public display purposes. A far more pressing need which is, finally, being taken seriously is pax ID checks. Unfortunately, we seem to have gone from one extreme to another in that ID is now supposed to be checked 3 times - once on entry to the terminal, again at check-in, then at the departure gate - whereas doing it properly once would probably suffice for domestic. My own pet hate still hasn't been properly addressed: cardboard boxes tied up with string as hold and hand baggage! Don't you just love it when a box full of 'special cake from Medan' spills eveywhere on the belt.

Once your ID has been checked against the name on the ticket there is generally nothing much stopping you from wandering airside once you get to the gate in quite a few airports - notably CGK. Door locks seem to be for show only and I regularly see parents leading kids out to look at the planes on the airside walkway that conects between the ramps.

On the plus side, Indonesia is a fun place for aviation enthusiasts because there is such a variety of traffic and a/c types. A couple of European carriers (KL and LH) are joined by airlines from all over Asia and the middle-east. Not to mention the spectacle of Haj flights during the muslim pilgrimage season and an eclectic mix of Boeing, MD, Fokker, and Airbus jets with Dash, Otter, F50 and a few smaller props thrown in for spice. Just be careful who you fly with if you come for a visit...

n757kw

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting GFFgold (Reply 10):
My own pet hate still hasn't been properly addressed: cardboard boxes tied up with string as hold and hand baggage

Ummm, then how is Pempek going to be sent from Palembang to the rest of Indonesia? I really enjoy looking all the Pempek that is transported from Palembang as baggage.

N757KW

HB-IWC

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting Macilree (Reply 4):
Last year Garuda Indonesia announced that it was suspending its Denpasar-Brisbane-Auckland service from 19 November 2006 until 25 March 2007. The service to AKL has not been resumed

Garuda has also suspended Brisbane service now, so Auckland is very unlikely to resume. For the time being GA's Australia services consist of 4 weekly DPS SYD (A333), 3 weekly DPS MEL (A333), 10 weekly DPS PER (B738), 4 weekly CGK PER (B738) and 2 weekly DPS DRW (B734).

In news related to PER operations, Garuda has recently equipped the B738 fleet with a small business class cabin. This cabin counts 12 seats in three rows of 2-2 abreast and should work out well for the destinations to which this small subfleet is being deployed. Apart from PER, the B738 is used on services between CGK and PEK (3 weekly via SIN) and CAN (4 weekly).

ZK-NBT

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:12 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 12):
Garuda has also suspended Brisbane service now, so Auckland is very unlikely to resume.

Are you saying that if they don't resume BNE they probably won't resume AKL?

Flights to AKL were never more than 3 per week, 2 for the last couple of years, loads varied but very hard to get any decent yeild I guess with such poor frequency.

HB-IWC

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:14 pm

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 13):
Are you saying that if they don't resume BNE they probably won't resume AKL?

That is very likely going to be the case, given that yields in BNE were always a bit better than yields in AKL. I don't see either coming back online for a good couple of years. The same goes for NGO and FUK, which were actually better yielding but where lack of widebody resourced is precluding the airline from restarting services.

The entire DPS longhaul setup is a bad idea as it goes. It is there to support the local tourism industry which has been badly hit by a number of recent events, yet it is not brining any substantial contribution to the airline's bottom line. Garuda was actually planning to remove the longhaul operation from the DPS hub, yet strong political interference has yet again decided differently.

The setup of the Tokyo operation is, if possible, even more ridiculous. NRT is served in a triangular CGK NRT DPS operation, in order to upset neither the CGK business community nor the DPS tourism sector. Yet, by offering such a ludicrous contruction, Garuda is basically losing out in both markets.

A rearrangement of the entire operation around one single hub (CGK) has the potential of not only saving Garuda lots of money but also generating additional revenue because the passenger mix at CGK is typically better yielding than anywhere else in the country.

'Longreach'

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:35 pm

Can you tell me a bit more about Sampoerna Air?

GARUDAROD

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:32 am

What is the latest in regards to the banning of aircraft more than 10yrs old. Has this died a proper death?
Or was its intent lost within the rating of Airline safety levels that put most of the carriers on the 90 notice?
What is the latest on Adam Air and their A320's? Havent heard anything about this lately.
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

757MDE

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:29 am

how's IPTN doing?

"Good post Jim!"
Quisiera volveraamartevolveraquerertevolveratenertecerrrrcaademígirl! Mis ojos lloran porrr ti...

gffgold

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:05 am

Quoting GARUDAROD (Reply 16):
What is the latest in regards to the banning of aircraft more than 10yrs old.

This does seem to have died a natural death. The idiots who first proposed the idea have probably had a reality check since, and realised just how many (or how few) domestic flights would actually operate if all planes over 10 years were grounded. The mooted ban on imports of older planes seems to have died too, and lets hope it stays that way for SJ's sake.

It's anyone's guess about Adam's new fleet orders. An outfit like that is able to get at least some bank loans without the normal commercial scrutiny, but they have lost a lot of travel agent trade because of unreliability and the only pax flying with them are the bottom rung of the 'budget' market taking advantage of discounts.

Jan Mogren

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:03 pm

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 9):
-OZX?

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 9):
gotta ask friends who went there last month....

Looking forward to hearing more.

Cheers

/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

9MMAR

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:54 pm

Don't you think this thread came out a bit late? I am glad mandala499 started it. I am not 'Indonesian' enough to do so. HB-IWC should be a regular here!

Quoting N757KW (Reply 1):
I would have thought Batavia was not that bad.

Perhaps they have been lucky all this while.

Quoting ThaiA345 (Reply 8):
We rally need 9M-MAR in on this topic too.

I am here.  tongue 

Quoting ThaiA345 (Reply 8):
He should be happier to know that Lion has resumed the PNK service.

Indeed. But knowing Lion's reputation, I am not sure whether I am going to fly with them or not, no matter how cheap their fares are.

mandala499

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:16 am

Quote:
What is the latest on Adam Air and their A320's? Havent heard anything about this lately.

Looks like Adam is continuing with it despite having been dumped by its political backers. I heard Adam is training some crew for A320s currently. But at the same time, the airline is not allowing the F/Os to perform take offs and landings for fear of more accidents... *shaking head*

Quote:
I would have thought Batavia was not that bad.

Well, I flew Batavia today and well, let's just say "I can see why they put it on category 3"... though my following Wings Air flight makes me wonder again if there is any correlation between those category ratings and reality!

Batavia's luck is that it has avoided highly publicised accidents so far, but there seems to be a large number of incidents and diverts/rtbs due to tech issues.

Now an Industry UPDATE:

RUMOUR: Garuda to "supply" Lion 737-900ER pilots.
Strong rumours are circulating that Boeing has requested/ordered Lion not to provide crew for the 737-900ER from its MD80/90 pilot pool and that to do so the MD crew must spend a minimum period on the 737-400 or can only convert at a later stage.

To cover the shortage, Lion has asked for 80 737 pilots from Garuda, and to provide them with a nice transfer fee to the pilots and Garuda (covering Garuda's investment in its crew). Lion is also seeking pilots from other domestic 737-300/400/500 operators on a direct entry & covert scheme.

Routes could be re-regulated.
According to the Jawa Pos newspaper, the Director General of Air Communications have stated that in the future, not all airlines can fly a particular route. He stated that routes such as Jakarta-Medan and Jakarta-Surabaya shall only be served by Full Service Carriers and not open for Low Cost Carriers, and that those routes shall be limited to two or three carriers per route.

*shakes head*

Mandala499

n757kw

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 21):
According to the Jawa Pos newspaper, the Director General of Air Communications have stated that in the future, not all airlines can fly a particular route.

Do you think the government would limit flights on the CGK-PLM route? The competition on the route has kept prices very reasonable. On average I pay about USD$50 for CGK-PLM-CGK. Back in 2002 when I first started flying to PLM I was paying about $120 on GA. Off course I try to fly only GA on the return because it is much easier being in the same terminal. Trying to find that shuttle bus at terminal 1 was a trip in itself. Thank goodness for wheels on suitcases.

I could be wrong, but in 2002 I think only GA and Merpati were flying to PLM. Now, well everyone and their brother is flying to PLM.

N757KW

9MMAR

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:18 am

not all airlines can fly a particular route.

Reason being? To avoid accident? I can't find the relation in it.

KevinSmith

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:02 pm

Unfortunatley I can't say too many bad things about any of the 6 flights that I have had in Indonesia.
x2 Trigana
x2 Garuda
x1 Yajasi
x1 MAF

However Ihave yet to determine if my following story is in favor of Indonesian airline safety or against.

We take off out of Sentani (Jayapura) and are in the air approx. 15 minutes. My dad and a friend of ours comments on how we should be much higher at this point into the flight. Within 5 minutes the Captain come comes on the intercomm and in very broken English makes an announcement. All that I got out of it was that we were returning to Sentani. As it turns out The Capt wanted to make sure that we had sufficient hydraulic pressure in the lines to deploy the landing gear at our arrival. The arrival airport was 5K feet MSL and he wanted to make sure that there would be enough pressure in the lines. Whether this is a reasonable explanation I don't know, but it was the one we got, language barrier a great factor. It seems to me that a hydraulic system in an a/c that flies above 10K feet shouldn't be affected by changes in altitude. This is because generally a/c such as these have pressurized hyrdraulic systems. BTW the a/c was an ATR 72. I'll let you all be the judges of that one. What do you think safe or unsafe?
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

HB-IWC

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:22 pm

the Director General of Air Communications have stated that in the future, not all airlines can fly a particular route. He stated that routes such as Jakarta-Medan and Jakarta-Surabaya shall only be served by Full Service Carriers and not open for Low Cost Carriers, and that those routes shall be limited to two or three carriers per route.

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 23):
Reason being? To avoid accident? I can't find the relation in it.

Because the Director General is new to the job and apparently has nothing better to do than coming up with ridiculous ideas such as this one. The CGK SUB and CGK MES routes are the bread and butter of many of these LCCs, and to preclude them from operating these routes would make their further commercial viability all but impossible. There is no objective reason why the country's 2 main business routes should only be served by 2 or 3 full service carriers. The Director General would be well-advised to tackle some of the many more pressing problems that plague the domestic aviation industry.

viasa

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:27 pm

Lorena Air will lease three B737-400 from Futura (Spain) instant of the B737NG.

Pe@rson

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:53 pm

Hi folks,

Aside from Jakarta, which Indonesian airports have good views from landside and airside in the terminal? I'm thinking of Medan, Surabaya, Denpasar, etc.

Cheers.  Smile
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

mandala499

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:14 pm

Quote:
Lorena Air will lease three B737-400 from Futura (Spain) instant of the B737NG.

Thanks for that, we know for a while they'll be starting on 734s instead of the NGs (no factory slots and lack of suitable planes on 2nd hand market)... But now we know the source thanks to you...

Good Views?
Landside on terminal? Jakarta T1, Surabaya, Pekanbaru, Medan.

Airside on terminal? (For not dedicated gates) Denpasar Domestic, Jogja... (For inside dedicated gates) Jakarta T2, Surabaya, Pekanbaru...

Banjarmasin is good but not at the moment due to construction. Jogja waving gallery now has some unpleasant glass on it.

Out of the terminal building ... Sorong (between the terminals, or the fire station), Denpasar (Southern beach, and fences near terminal and Benoa highway), Jogja (Air Force Academy Road), Solo, Bandung, Medan, Banjarmasin (main road parallel to runway).

Mandala499

9MMAR

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:21 pm

Pontianak's Supadio.

You can actually go onto the runway. Enter the airport compound from the village nearby, wear the worst clothes you had with a cap/hat if possible and just pretend that you are a farmer working in the farms next to the runway.

mandala499

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:09 am

UPDATE:
GA200 Preliminary Report due out tomorrow.
I've been told to prepare for some "shocking revelations".

Mandala499

Pe@rson

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 28):
Good Views?
Landside on terminal? Jakarta T1, Surabaya, Pekanbaru, Medan.

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 28):
Airside on terminal? (For not dedicated gates) Denpasar Domestic, Jogja... (For inside dedicated gates) Jakarta T2, Surabaya, Pekanbaru...

Thanks, Mandala.  Smile

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 29):
Enter the airport compound from the village nearby, wear the worst clothes you had with a cap/hat if possible and just pretend that you are a farmer working in the farms next to the runway.

LOL!  Big grin Now that'd make a great photo. Certainly deserving the "A.net Member Of The Week" award for both effort and ingenuity.  Silly
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

GARUDAROD

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:50 am

Is there anything new on the proposal to link up Merpati and Garuda again?
This on again/off again relationship is sort of like Air India/Indian. Sometimes yes, sometimes no,
Sometimes we dont know.
What is the status of the leasing problem with GA A330's. Are they still in danger of being
repossesed by the lessors?

HB-IWC

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:25 pm

Update on Garuda Fleet Planning

There is now clarity over the link between Garuda's recent order for 25 B738 aircraft and the September 2005 order for 18 B738 + 10 B787. As it goes, the newly announced order for 25 B738s comprises the 18 B738s already on order since 2005 and an boasts an additional 7 new aircraft. The timetable for delivery of these aircraft is as follows:

- 18 aircraft from the older order to be delivered between May 2009 and October 2010 at a rate of one frame per month, so 8 in 2009 and 10 in 2010 ;

- 7 additional aircraft to be delivered between August 2011 and February 2012 at a rate of one frame per month, so 5 in 2011 and 2 in 2012 ;

According to a company memo, the B787 is still on track to be part of the fleet starting in 2011, but no timetable is offered as to the exact phasing in of these aircraft.

Meanwhile, the future of the 6-strong A333 fleet remains in jeopardy. Garuda has an outstanding debt of over USD 500 million with the European Export Credit Agency pertaining to the order of these aircraft. Apparently, the airline is in no position to service these debts and has, as such, to live with the imminent threat of the repossession of the A333 fleet, although yet another debt rescheduling is being sought.

gffgold

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:56 pm

Someone asked for advice regards views at MES Medan. Airside your best bet is one of the 'executive' lounges with a window in the right place. Exec lounges at Indonesian airports often - but not always - have a decent view and by international standards entry fees are extremely cheap. Ironically one of the best views is from the toilet(!) of the Bank Mandiri lounge at CGK T2. Only a waist-high pane of frosted glass protects your modesty, and you can sit on the pan and watch the planes to your heart's content.

777way

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:02 am

When did Garuda quit Dammam and are they starting Dubai this year?

HB-IWC

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 35):
When did Garuda quit Dammam and are they starting Dubai this year?

DMM went out during the last round of cuts, which saw also AKL and BNE go. DMM was served as a tag on to RUH and has never been profitable. Not even RUH is profitable for that matter, and JED is only sustaining because of the high fares during Umroh and Hajj periods. Don't count on DXB joining the GA network. There is simply no market for that with EK going twice daily later this year, and Yemenia on the route with rock bottom fares now four times weekly.

HB-IWC

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:59 pm

Garuda expands domestic network

Effective Monday, April 23, Garuda will significantly expand its domestic offerings with the addition of 2 new routes and reinforced frequencies to a number of other, mostly business related routes. The new services are as follows:

Jogjakarta - Balikpapan -- New daily nonstop service with B734
Denpasar - Balikpapan -- New daily direct service with B734
Makassar - Balikpapan -- New daily nonstop service with B734

Jakarta - Balikpapan -- increased from 6 to 7 daily
Jakarta - Medan -- increased from 8 to 9 daily
Jakarta - Surabaya -- increased from 16 to 17 daily
Jakarta - Jogjakarta -- increased from 6 to 8 daily
Denpasar - Jogjakarta -- increased from 1 to 2 daily

The 3 new services, which all revolve around BPN, are actually operated with one single DPS-based B734, according to the following schedule:

GA251 DPS JOG 0800 0810

GA540 JOG BPN 0845 1125

GA545 BPN UPG 1200 1300
GA545 UPG DPS 1335 1445

GA544 DPS UPG 1525 1635
GA544 UPG BPN 1710 1810

GA541 BPN JOG 1845 1925

GA 254 JOG DPS 2000 2210

Garuda's refound interest in the Balikpapan market is finally some good news for the airline's beleaguered finances, as this market is particularly high yielding. Under the previous Java-centered management of Indra Setiawan, Balikpapan and its high yielding routes had been largely left aside, and GA operated just a meager 3 daily services on the CGK BPN route. The Emirsyah management team has apparently seen the light with regard to BPN as the CGK services have been steadily increased, and the airline also added a BPN-MDC link as an alternative to the traditional UPG-MDC services.

As for the other increases, the CGK to MES and SUB reinforcement are a sign that these routes continue to be some of the airline's most successful ones, with particularly healthy traffic numbers in the front cabins. The CGK JOG frequency increase comes in time for the peak summer demand on the route, and I would expect the frequency to be reduced again later in the year.

kretek

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:41 pm

How are Garuda's code-share services doing? Are they making any money on them? Garuda is code-sharinng with MAS on European routes and DPS-DRW, Korean, Qatar Airways, China airlines and China Southern.
Is MAS a strategic code-share partner for Garuda on European routes? I remember not too long ago, Garuda was complaining about MAS sending bigger aircraft to Indonesia at the expense of Garuda. Would it make more sense if Garuda code-shared with an European airline, rather than with a regional competitor such as MAS?

mandala499

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:10 am

UPDATE:

Adam Air taken over, switches to 738s & puts a new commitment to safety.

In a travel agent's meeting in Solo, Adam Air was reported to put up a new commitment on safety in conjunction with new owners coming in. The airline also stated that this July, 4 737-800 will come into the fleet. They have stated that they've paid out victims of the KKW accident the amount of 100,000 USD per victim and a monument is to be made in Manado.

Today it was rumoured that Adam Air has been taken over by Bhakti Investama, the owner of Indonesia Air Transport.

Adam Air is 90% sure it will win as the "Official Airline for the National Farmer's Week 2007". This convention shall take place near Palembang 07-10 July 2007, with an estimated 23,000 people attending, with Adam Air aiming to carry 80% of the participants (est. 18,000 people).

Batavia's 1st A320 confirmed

Another unpublicised development with Batavia. It's 1st A320 will soon join the carrier's 2 A319s with reportedly 3 more coming later this year. While the 2 A319s are new, the A320s do have a history.

Quote:
Serial number 449
Type 320-211
First flight date 17/09/1993
Test registration F-WWIG

Delivery Date Operator Registration
24/11/1993 Orix N449RX
07/01/1994 South East Europ SX-BSV
03/01/1995 Orix N449RX
08/04/1995 Virgin Atlantic EI-VIR lsd
08/11/1995 All Leisure Airways G-OUZO lsd
01/04/1996 Virgin Atlantic G-OUZO
12/04/2000 Airtours G-JOEM
01/05/2002 My Travel Airways G-JOEM
01/05/2007 Batavia PK- To enter in service

The aircraft have been painted in Batavia Air colours.

---
HB-IWC,
Glad that GA can expand these days! And in routes that do make at least some sense!
---

Pe@rson

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:54 am

If I were in CGK and would probably visit SUB and MES, would you recommend a daytrip from CGK to DPS?

gffgold

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 40):
would you recommend a daytrip from CGK to DPS?

It's one of the more expensive domestic routes but on a clear day offers good views, also DPS gets quite a good variety of traffic. Remember that due to time difference you 'lose' an hour of your day trip. DPS is also a good place for hopping around as there are plenty of flights to other domestic destinations. A word of advice - GA flights from DPS to CGK often come in on the international side of T2, so this means a bus ride to the domestic gates with your baggage following at a very leisurely pace. Allow plenty of time...

HB-IWC

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting GFFgold (Reply 41):
GA flights from DPS to CGK often come in on the international side of T2, so this means a bus ride to the domestic gates with your baggage following at a very leisurely pace. Allow plenty of time...

Actually, all GA flights between CGK and DPS except one depart and arrive from the international terminals at both ends of the route. Passengers are bussed to the aircraft from the domestic terminals, but upon arrival passengers exit through the international terminal and pick up their luggage at the international luggage carrousels. In order to pass immigration and customs without hassle, domestic passengers are issued a colored boarding pass, which they are asked to show in order to pass through.

The reason for this setup is not only the lack of domestic parking space at both CGK and DPS, but also because these flights carry both domestic and international passengers. Passengers boarding in CGK and connecting to GA's international destinations from DPS pass immigration in CGK and have theoretically already left the country when traveling CGK DPS.

The only exception to this rule are flights GA652/653 which are the CGK - Papua (DJJ and TIM) flights which pass through DPS. These flights depart and arrive from the domestic terminals at both CGK and DPS.

GARUDAROD

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:27 am

Are there any signs of a diplomatic row over the India missle that forced a GA HAJJ flight to turn back?
India claims they alerted at least a week in advance, Indonesia claims no knowledge of that.
Does AI still serve CGK? May they have their landing permits pulled over this?

HB-IWC

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:32 pm

Garuda reduces domestic B737 turn-around times

Garuda is reducing the turn around times for its B737 fleet (B733/734/735/738) at all domestic airports except for the hub cities of Jakarta and Denpasar to just 35 minutes in hopes of further increasing utilization rates and offset the limited hours of operation at certain airports. At CGK and DPS, minimum turn around times will remain at 40 minutes, but some spare capacity has been built into the schedule at those airports in order to compensation for operational irregularities.

GARUDAROD

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:41 am

According to Australia's ABC news, the former president of GARUDA has been arrested for the
poisoning of Munir Said Thalib. This should be an interesting turn of events. Does this mean an
wholesale change to the GA management now/again?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200704/s1897504.htm

mandala499

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:27 am

Batavia "new routes" rumour:
Rumours are now surfacing that the A320 and A319 routes will be:
CGK-CAN A319
CGK-DPS A320
CGK-MES A320
CGK-MDC A320
CGK-AMQ A320 (new)
CGK-MDC-TPE (new) A319
CGK-BKK-DXB (new) A319

The way I see it now, it looks like only one of the 2 new A319 routes will become a reality, unless the get more aircraft. But then again... we'll see...
-------

Quoting GARUDAROD (Reply 45):
According to Australia's ABC news, the former president of GARUDA has been arrested for the poisoning of Munir Said Thalib. This should be an interesting turn of events. Does this mean an wholesale change to the GA management now/again?

Another wholesale change? I doubt that this would be the reason for a wholesale change in management... The rumour is that there will be some changes over the coming months, but not a wholesale change... and that was from early this year.

Unless I've missed something...

HB-IWC

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:09 pm

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 46):
CGK-MDC-TPE (new) A319
CGK-BKK-DXB (new) A319

They cannot possibly be serious about that. Garuda's last attempt at MDC TPE resulted in a financial blood bath and a route like BKK DXB is just laughable, trying to compete with EK and its multiple daily widebodies at rock bottom fares already. That said, if Batavia can come up with a viable schedule for CGK BKK, I can see that working out for them, because Garuda-s current overnight rotation on the route is a commercial disaster.

mandala499

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:51 am

HB-IWC,
Well, MDC-TPE is definitely a question on their senses! MDC-AND OLD: Hong Kong - Kai Tak International (HKG / VHHH) (closed), China - Hong Kong">HKG would make more sense, albeit, minutely marginal!
BKK-DXB? Again, laughable. For those 2 routes until I see them happening AND see good loads AND good yields, I'll continue laughing!

There are many more opportunities for Batavia to make a buck from the additional airbuses, but if these rumours are true, I do wonder, do they learn? If anything, I guess this goes to show the lack of "imagination/creativity" in the industry...

Mandala499

nwafflyer

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:20 am

Sorry, but I just cannot understand an aviation thread with 'poisoning'. I guess I'm too old, too normal, too female to follow this one