dia77

LH Denver-Munich Loads

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:14 am

With the DEN-MUC flights starting tomorrow, does anyone know how the flights have been selling? Has it met LH's expectations? Any A.net members on the flight?

BA

RE: LH Denver-Munich Loads

Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:07 am

Checking the inaugural MUC-DEN flight on both Amadeus and Lufthansa's website, it looks like it is full in Economy and Business Class, but First Class is still available.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

PADSpot

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:47 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 1):
Checking the inaugural MUC-DEN flight on both Amadeus and Lufthansa's website, it looks like it is full in Economy and Business Class, but First Class is still available.

I'd argue that inaugural flights are not representative ... once you are in the second season loads indicate quite nicely what the market is ...

BA

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:18 am

Quoting PADSpot (Reply 2):
I'd argue that inaugural flights are not representative ... once you are in the second season loads indicate quite nicely what the market is ...

Very true. I should point out that this flight was carrying a delegation of city officials from both cities as well as several press people.

If I remember reading correctly also, Lufthansa's CEO was on the flight and if he was not, he was at least planning to.

This article in the Denver Post has some interesting information about this flight and the reaction of the local community here in Denver:
http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_5552146

One thing that caught my attention of the article was this part:

Rather than limiting the route to summer travel, as originally planned, Lufthansa will fly it year-round. An improvement in bookings, due in part to sale fares, "seems to have breathed some new life into it," said Kelsey O'Brien, district sales manager for the German airline.

"I think Lufthansa is confident it can run it throughout the year," she said.

The route will go to five days a week between Oct. 30 and about March 24, however.

I wasn't aware that Lufthansa was originally planning to operate it seasonally. When the service was announced back in November, there was no mention at all that it would be a seasonal service.

Also, the article states that the route will go down to 5x weekly after October 30, however, when I search the schedules, it appears to be daily indefinitely. Going on Lufthansa's website, I can book on all days of the week after October 30 as well.

I have tried to find more information about this, but have found absolutely nothing.

Perhaps this is a mistake in the newspaper?

If it is true however, it's good to see that Lufthansa decided to operate it year-round. 5x weekly is still excellent service.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

SailorOrion

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:00 pm

Many flights that LH starts (especially from MUC) begin their life as seasonal service, some transatlantic flights still ARE seasonal (YUL, BOS). DXB is a winter seasonal, as was MIA (which has been suspended like 2 years ago). I'm quite surprised to see DEN to be a year-round service from the start. Might have something to so with the fact of DEN being a star hub.

SailorOrion

BA

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting SailorOrion (Reply 4):

Thanks for the feedback.

Going back to the original topic, it seems like flights are doing quite well during the coming few weeks:

Many flights on the Denver-Munich route are about 90 percent full or more in coming weeks, said Harry Huff, a regional sales manager for Lufthansa.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_5567471

Here is a photo of the inaugural as it arrived in Denver:

nosedive

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:21 am

Quoting BA (Reply 5):
Many flights on the Denver-Munich route are about 90 percent full or more in coming weeks, said Harry Huff, a regional sales manager for Lufthansa.

how many is many?