IberiaA319
Topic Author

LAB Lloyd A Boliviano Suspends All Flights ToSpain

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:41 am

The LAB flights to Spain, using a Lockheed L1011-500 operated by Globejet airlines (registration OD-ZEE), were suspended this week. Bad financial situation of Lloyd Areo Boliviano is the main reason, leaving hundreds of stranded passengers, specially in Bolivia.

The managers of LAB are now in prison due to this problem. It will be a pity not to see the L1011 anymore here in Madrid. But it seems that in 15 days the operations might continue with another aircraft.

The situation is actually a huge problem for many of these passengers, as most of them want to enter the European Union before April 1st, when a visa will be required for all Bolivian citizens. The illegal Bolivian immigration had a sharp increase during the last three years in Spain. During the last months, more than 1.000 Bolivians arrived at Madrid Barajas airport every day as tourists, but with the intention of staying in Spain "illegally" and hoping to find a job or a "better life"

In Spanish:

http://www.lostiempos.com/noticias/30-03-07/30_03_07_eco2.php

http://www.univision.com/contentroot/wirefeeds/lat/6996092.html

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/218717/0/espana/bolivianos/crucero/

LTU932

RE: LAB Lloyd A Boliviano Suspends All Flights ToSpain

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting IberiaA319 (Thread starter):
The LAB flights to Spain, using a Lockheed L1011-500 operated by Globejet airlines (registration OD-ZEE), were suspended this week. Bad financial situation of Lloyd Areo Boliviano is the main reason, leaving hundreds of stranded passengers, specially in Bolivia.

I'm surprised LB is still operating at all, especially after last year's financial problems and when their 767s were repossessed due to lack of payment. Even with the L-1011 ACMI, I didn't think this would last as long as it did.

dellatorre

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:42 am

I'm suprised they even got off the ground with that flight!!!

Talking about taking risks....... Someone would have to be in completely mad to fly in an airline such as LAB.

juventus

Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:18 am

I live within 10 minutes of IAD airport. I see their 727s often. Its sad that they are the only airline still operating the 727 passenger version into IAD. LAB needs an injection of fresh cash, and better management. I do wish them well.

cptGirmayTesfa

Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:42 am

Quoting Dellatorre (Reply 2):
Someone would have to be in completely mad to fly in an airline such as LAB

Actually, they have an excellent safety record. Also their maintance facilities are well renowed in the region.

Mason

RE: LAB Lloyd A Boliviano Suspends All Flights ToS

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:03 am

I second that! I have flown on them several times within South America, and never thought twice about my safety, compared to any other airline. Service is good, and aircraft are very clean, although old. I say to all who want to experience what avaition used to be like, fly LAB while you still have the chance! Given the conditions they operate in (LPB at 13,000 feet ASL, and many other airports with considerable restrictions), I think their safety record is outstanding. Before calling their pax crazy, do some real research to back up your claim.

IADCA

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 3):
I live within 10 minutes of IAD airport. I see their 727s often. Its sad that they are the only airline still operating the 727 passenger version into IAD. LAB needs an injection of fresh cash, and better management. I do wish them well.

I see them often too, and if I'm not mistaken (I'd have to be crazy, in fact, as I've taxied right past them), they've got blended winglets. Never seen that on 727s in person anywhere else.

LASoctoberB6

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:26 am

does this mean that they will enter some sort of bankruptcy plan and then maybe go out of business? i would hate to see their 727s gone.....
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

dellatorre

Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting Mason (Reply 5):
I second that! I have flown on them several times within South America, and never thought twice about my safety, compared to any other airline. Service is good, and aircraft are very clean, although old. I say to all who want to experience what avaition used to be like, fly LAB while you still have the chance! Given the conditions they operate in (LPB at 13,000 feet ASL, and many other airports with considerable restrictions), I think their safety record is outstanding. Before calling their pax crazy, do some real research to back up your claim.

I meant that this pax would be crazy to buy a ticket from LAB considering the past problems the airline has been facing lately, specially on a flight to Madrid, which is not served by it's own aircraft. Pretty risky, I'd say!!!! The chances of not embarking are quite high!! Just look at what happen with Air Madrid!!!

LatinPlane

Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:14 am

Funny video that portrays the situation on LAB's flights. The passengers were complaining because the flight had been stranded in Fortaleza, Brazil, for four-hours without having permission to leave the aircraft. LAB's Madrid - Santa Cruz de la Sierra, always made a technical stop in Fortaleza to pick up extra fuel, so I pressume that either the plane went techinical or they had problems paying for fuel for their final leg to Bolivia.

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

FlyKev
Crew

Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Latinplane (Reply 9):
Funny video that portrays the situation on LAB's flights

Not to bad looking interior really for such an old aircraft. I notice that the IFE displays are fairly new.

I'll also comment that the passengers seemed to be less anxious about being filmed than people in other countries.

Thanks for sharing the video.

kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

vincewy

Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:12 pm

The situation is actually a huge problem for many of these passengers, as most of them want to enter the European Union before April 1st, when a visa will be required for all Bolivian citizens. The illegal Bolivian immigration had a sharp increase during the last three years in Spain. During the last months, more than 1.000 Bolivians arrived at Madrid Barajas airport every day as tourists, but with the intention of staying in Spain "illegally" and hoping to find a job or a "better life"

I was curious why it took so long for Spain to revoke visa-free privilege for Bolivians (3+ years) as the number of illegal residents has increased 18 fold in the last 4 years. If I'm one of those trying to get in, I'd not wait til the end of March.

IberiaA319
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:59 pm

Quoting Vincewy (Reply 11):
I was curious why it took so long for Spain to revoke visa-free privilege for Bolivians (3+ years) as the number of illegal residents has increased 18 fold in the last 4 years. If I'm one of those trying to get in, I'd not wait til the end of March.

Actually it is the European Union who has to decide about this. Already in July 2006, the Commission of the European Communities proposed the visa requirement for Bolivian citizens (But it always takes a while until such a measure is introduced).

The European Commission said last year:

Quote:
...the information received points to persistent and intense migratory pressure from Bolivia. The effect is being felt in the large number of refoulements at the external borders and in expulsions in several Member States. Nor can the public policy dimension be neglected since detention orders and convictions of Bolivians for criminal offences and illegal immigration are also rising. In addition, nationals of Latin American countries subject to the visa requirement are seeking to circumvent the requirement by fraudulently acquiring Bolivian passports. For all these reasons, the Commission believes that there are good grounds, in view of the criteria in recital 5 to Regulation (EC) No 539/2001, for proposing to transfer Bolivia from Annex II to Annex I.

Source: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...v.do?uri=COM:2006:0084:FIN:EN:HTML

RAFVC10

Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:13 pm

As Gabriel Garcia Marquez said in one of it's books, this situation was "La Cronica de una Muerte Anunciada" (Chronicle of a Death Foretold).

When LB lose it's 763 and sustitute them with L15 equipment, adding to this situation the very old domestic fleet and the decision of the Bolivian Government to make Aerosur the new Flag Carrier (according with Bolivian sources), all the signs indicated that this carrier had counted days.

I will miss one of the last 727 carriers in beautiful colours.
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

IberiaA319
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:42 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 7):
does this mean that they will enter some sort of bankruptcy plan

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 13):
all the signs indicated that this carrier had counted days.

Hi Gerard, how are you doing? Currently LAB is in bankruptcy and it seems that it might not last for long. Even the Lloyd Aereo Boliviano employees have not received their salaries for almost a year, a terrible situation for them.

Quoting in Spanish:

Quote:
El representante de la Central Obrera Boliviana, Sósimo Paniagua, quien estuvo en la reunión junto a los trabajadores del Lloyd Aéreo Boliviano, expresó su esperanza porque se logre una solución, especialmente para los trabajadores, quienes no reciben sueldo desde hace 11 meses.

http://www.lostiempos.com/noticias/30-03-07/30_03_07_eco2.php

IberiaA319
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 7):
i would hate to see their 727s gone.....

With the current suspension of all scheduled operations (which was decided by the Bolivian authorities this weekend due to their bad financial situation and the cancelled flights), LAB will probably shutdown very soon. Only charter flights are currently allowed.

With a huge debt of over 140 million US dollar, some of their managers in prison, open lawsuits and with the Bolivian Government with no intention to help this airline it won't be easy for LAB.

In Spanish:

http://latino.msn.com/finanzas/notic...clepage.aspx?cp-documentid=4597730

LipeGIG

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting IberiaA319 (Reply 15):
With the current suspension of all scheduled operations (which was decided by the Bolivian authorities this weekend due to their bad financial situation and the cancelled flights), LAB will probably shutdown very soon. Only charter flights are currently allowed

God! I believe the visa restriction become the last fact that make LAB life even shorter. Reduced demand to MAD is another problem that Bolivia will face, and also the fact that it become a country non friendly for foreign investment.

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

KLM685

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:48 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 3):
live within 10 minutes of IAD airport. I see their 727s often. Its sad that they are the only airline still operating the 727 passenger version into IAD. LAB needs an injection of fresh cash, and better management. I do wish them well.

What's the routing for the IAD flight you know? Seems a pretty long distance for a 727! Even the MEX flight had like two stops if I recall correctly

Quoting IADCA (Reply 6):
they've got blended winglets

They are not that blended, they look more like the MD-11 style winglets. Aviacsa's 727 also had the same kind of winglets.
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

cbartolucci

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:23 am

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 17):
What's the routing for the IAD flight you know?

With the 727 it's either VVI-PTY-MIA-IAD or VVI-MAO-CCS-MIA-IAD or if LAB is flying the 767 it's VVI-MIA-IAD.

olli

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:32 am

What's the routing for the IAD flight you know? Seems a pretty long distance for a 727! Even the MEX flight had like two stops if I recall correctly

When I took LAB to Argentina, the flight routing was: MEX-PTY-VVI-EZE (Connecting in VVI). On the way back our splendid 727 had a problem with the WX radar so we had to go back to VVI, and afetr aprox 5 hours of negotiations another 727 was asigned to us. That plane was all Y and a different version that couldn´t reach PTY nonstop, so we had to make an extra stop at CLO. Big nightmare, but at leat I was riding on the best plane ever.

Best Regards,

757MDE

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:38 pm

Quoting Olli (Reply 19):
so we had to make an extra stop at CLO

At least I get an explanation for this!

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Andres restrepo

Thanks
Quisiera volveraamartevolveraquerertevolveratenertecerrrrcaademígirl! Mis ojos lloran porrr ti...

RAFVC10

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:20 pm

Seen in GDS...

:5L747 VVI-MAD 05:50 23:30 310

Aerosur still operates wet-leased A7 equipment? Aerosur not flies 747 equipment?
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

LatinPlane

RE: LAB Lloyd A Boliviano Suspends All Flights ToS

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 16):

God! I believe the visa restriction become the last fact that make LAB life even shorter. Reduced demand to MAD is another problem that Bolivia will face, and also the fact that it become a country non friendly for foreign investment.

The demand for the Bolivia - Spain market is expected to shrink 90% now that the visa restriction has taken effect. This was one of LAB's most profitable routes, as well as AeroSur's. I hope that AeroSur obtains its own aircraft such as a 767 or A310 and fly the route now that they won't be needing the wet-leased 747-200 from Air Plus.

Smile LatinPlane

latinaviation

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:25 am

According to La Razon, all LAB flights have been suspended from 31 March.
http://www.la-razon.com/versiones/20070402_005864/nota_248_409502.htm

eastern023

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:20 pm

Its the beginning of the end. They wont be missed.
AA will Rise Again!

LASoctoberB6

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting IberiaA319 (Reply 14):
employees have not received their salaries for almost a year,

that makes no sense to me, if my employer doesnt pay me on payday, theyll be out of an employee and ill be lookin fer a new job.....how is that possible that they havent got their checks in almost a year?

Quoting IberiaA319 (Reply 15):
With the current suspension of all scheduled operations (which was decided by the Bolivian authorities this weekend due to their bad financial situation and the cancelled flights), LAB will probably shutdown very soon. Only charter flights are currently allowed.

so when regular service flights are canceled in great numbers, does that always foreshadow a closure? (wx reasons exempt)

Aviacsa's 727 also had

had?...what happened? i saw one here @ LAS in '04.......
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

rootsair

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:59 pm

. During the last months, more than 1.000 Bolivians arrived at Madrid Barajas airport every day as tourists,

This definitely reminds me of the day I was catching a flight from La Paz to Lima. In the check in counters you could see Bolivian passengers with at least 10 baggaes! What's the funniest is I heard the conversation and the guy said he was going to Spain for two weeks to visit his family ! Ya right, I don't know why you need so much luggae for 2 weeks! These were just another Bolivians who were heading for Spain to stay there !

airplane   wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

PHKLM

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 25):
that makes no sense to me, if my employer doesnt pay me on payday, theyll be out of an employee and ill be lookin fer a new job.....how is that possible that they havent got their checks in almost a year?

I don't know whether you have ever been to Bolivia, but the country is extremely poor and jobs -especially high paid ones- aren't easy to come by.
There is only two major airlines in Bolivia so switching from LAB to the other isn't as easy as you think, apart from that, the mindset of people is different in Latin America, and moreover, is even different between people within the same culture, I reckon there are employees in the US as well who would be willing to still go to work after not having received a paycheck for a long time.

LipeGIG

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting LatinPlane (Reply 22):
The demand for the Bolivia - Spain market is expected to shrink 90% now that the visa restriction has taken effect. This was one of LAB's most profitable routes, as well as AeroSur's. I hope that AeroSur obtains its own aircraft such as a 767 or A310 and fly the route now that they won't be needing the wet-leased 747-200 from Air Plus.

Thanks for the info LatinPlane, seems that LAB days are counted ! And agree with you, now the route will demand a daily 762 or A310 but no more than that !

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

rootsair

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:46 pm

Do you think that a codeshare with IB could be possible ?
 airplane   wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

miamix707

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:43 am

HAHAHA funny video of the GlobeJet L1011! The guy at the end asks the pax "estamos todos felices de volar por Lloyd"? (aren't we all happy to fly with Lloyd?) ROFL.. you can hear someone say sarcastically "una compania buenisima!!!" (a great company!) then he leads a chorus "never again with Llloyd!"

Any Bolivian members know the status of that leased Tristar? I was hoping to see that at MIA Big grin but

Quoting LatinAviation (Reply 23):
According to La Razon, all LAB flights have been suspended from 31 March.

Shame, the only regular pax 727 service to N. America is no more? I really hope to see LAB flying again, the airline has a long history, and their 727s are just beautiful, probably the sharpest scheme of any S. American carriers (couldn't resist talking about the livery as always).

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 13):
When LB lose it's 763 and sustitute them with L15 equipment, adding to this situation the very old domestic fleet and the decision of the Bolivian Government to make Aerosur the new Flag Carrier (according with Bolivian sources), all the signs indicated that this carrier had counted days.

Aerosur's domestic fleet isn't any newer, they still fly a 727-100 I think and the rest are 727-200s and 732s. The only modern aircraft is the 757 they lease for the Miami flight. If anything I'd probably feel safer flying with LAB to be honest.

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:21 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 30):
Any Bolivian members know the status of that leased Tristar

Last time I saw it was March 27th on the VVI tarmac - I don´t know if it is still there or not.

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 30):
Aerosur's domestic fleet isn't any newer, they still fly a 727-100 I think and the rest are 727-200s and 732s. The only modern aircraft is the 757 they lease for the Miami flight. If anything I'd probably feel safer flying with LAB to be honest.

Actually the 721 of 5L is not flying since long, yet correct, 722 and 732 are the background of the fleet. The 752 is used for the MIA-VVI-GRU-VVI-MIA routing (leased from Ryan). As to safety records: Both 5L and LB enjoy a high level of safety records, yet correct, LB's are really good. Their maintenance center at CBB is also the one that made the winglet retrofitting on the 722's.

Quoting Eastern023 (Reply 24):
Its the beginning of the end. They wont be missed

I think this comment can only come from someone that does not live in South America nor has a job anywhere near the airline industry.

eastern023

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:34 am

Quoting 123 (Reply 31):
I think this comment can only come from someone that does not live in South America nor has a job anywhere near the airline industry.

Both statements are true. However, the airline has never been great. Not great service, always late. I live in Northern Virginia, right next to Dulles Airport, they used to serve it, they even made the local news ABC and NBC last year for stranding passengers at IAD. They did not code-share or belong to a big alliance no chance of getting any mile reciprocity with any major airline (At least when I flew them) They had very old 727's (true, they were very well maintained, but old nevertheless), and a 763 for a little while that was streched beyong believe. I understand is a very old legacy airline, but is one of those things like if tomorrow I'd wake up to find out Iberia is folding. I could not care less.
AA will Rise Again!

LatinPlane

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:11 pm

Quoting Eastern023 (Reply 32):
I understand is a very old legacy airline, but is one of those things like if tomorrow I'd wake up to find out Iberia is folding. I could not care less.

And your username is that of Eastern Airlines!!! Go figure.  sarcastic 

~~I just watched a report on CNN en Espanol on how LAB's shutdown has affected many passengers throughout Bolivia. I was really saddened when they showed an elderly lady crying at the airport as she was spending her days and nights in front of LAB's counters until someone from the airline responded with a refund of her money. She had mortgaged her home, borrowed, and spent her entire savings for a one way ticket on LAB to Madrid in order to reunite with her daughter where both would work hard in order to repay the loans. However, LAB defrauded her and she will never be able to make to Spain, now that the new visa laws have taken effect and now she's got no money and no home to return to. Really heartbreaking.

I've read that LAB will auction everything it owns this weekend, including its headquarters and facilities. I hope that the government forces the airline to refund in full to all the passengers with outstanding tickets. It's such a shame that an airline with such a proud history ended its days in such a shameful way.

LatinPlane

LTU932

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:46 pm

So, LB has folded for good or is that just an auction to keep themselves afloat for a while?

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:02 pm

the airline has never been great. Not great service, always late

Always late? Not quite so, I think their schedule was kept fairly well and that is why I prefer(ed) them for flights within Bolivia.

They had very old 727's (true, they were very well maintained, but old nevertheless), and a 763 for a little while

Don´t forget that they also had 733 and A310. The 727's were getting me bored too, but old, paid and well kept is better than new and unkept!

Quoting LatinPlane (Reply 33):
showed an elderly lady crying at the airport as she was spending her days and nights in front of LAB's counters until someone from the airline responded with a refund of her money. She had mortgaged her home, borrowed, and spent her entire savings for a one way ticket on LAB to Madrid in order to reunite with her daughter where both would work hard in order to repay the loans.

Stories like this one repeat hundreds of times. Unfortunatelly, inspite of the warnings the airline can shut down any moment, people in desperation to get to Spain before the Visa is required paid without seeing the risks. It is a pitty what happened, both to pax and to the airline.

I hope that the government forces the airline to refund in full to all the passengers with outstanding tickets

Situation is such, that the airline will get charter permission to fly the pax with tickets to their destinations. However, who will want to fly to Spain now, without a Visa? As the airline is broke, they cannot refund in cash... It will still ge very complicated. Personally I also have an unflown ticket, local flight, and will probably put it into my photo album as a memory as I will probably never will see single cent of the value.

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:52 am

As per "Los Tiempos" today:
confirmó que el SIN gravó a su favor el logo, que incluye su sigla, para garantizar que en caso de un remate o intento de venta, la entidad tributaria cobre por la marca.

.... IRS confiscated the logo/name to guarantee that in case of an intent of sale of (LAB Airlines), first IRS can charge for the brand (LB Brand).

Full details in Spanish only, I regret: http://www.lostiempos.com/noticias/05-04-07/economia.php

.... no further comments Sad

TACAA320

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:55 am

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

eastern023

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:46 am

And your username is that of Eastern Airlines!!! Go figure.

I'm sorry, is this comment based on the fact that they folded?.....True, but I would not compare EA to LB.

Quoting 123 (Reply 35):
Always late? Not quite so, I think their schedule was kept fairly well and that is why I prefer(ed) them for flights within Bolivia.

Okay, maybe in Bolivia.
AA will Rise Again!

miamix707

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:20 pm

I understand is a very old legacy airline, but is one of those things like if tomorrow I'd wake up to find out Iberia is folding. I could not care less.

And your username is that of Eastern Airlines!!! Go figure.

lol that was great...

Thanks 123 for the info, I assume that 5L 727-100 was the green with the purple and billboard letters right? Truly a gorgeous colorscheme, much better than the terrible current 5L eurocrappy look. Two other Aerosur 727s have being scrapped at MIA, and a fleet of about 3 721s was scrapped at nearby Opa Locka, not sure why so far? I guess they were owned by some company there perhaps.

I'm glad to read in that article some pax are getting at least half of their money back though!

By the way what are the chances that 5L 747 flight will continue?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:44 am

By the way what are the chances that 5L 747 flight will continue?

As per yesterdays information in some newspapers, 5L is investing USD 100 million to purchase "one new 747 and two 767's".

Naturally we all know those are "new" adquisitions but not new aircraft.

Anybody has an idea where they can come from?

As to LB - topic - Workers are now negotiating to be able to take control of the airline in a sheme designed as LAB 2. No idea if that will work out.

kiramakora

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:24 am

Quoting Eastern023 (Reply 24):
Its the beginning of the end. They wont be missed.

I will miss it for sure. LAB was a great airline; a pioneer in the region that survived against a lot of operating odds. Having flown with them, I can attest to the dedication of their employes.

Quoting Eastern023 (Reply 38):
I'm sorry, is this comment based on the fact that they folded?.....True, but I would not compare EA to LB.

Quoting Eastern023 (Reply 38):
Okay, maybe in Bolivia.

Comparing EA to LB to PA is such a mute and irrelevant discourse. Each of them had their own constituencies and will be missed more by some than others. As airline enthusiast, I would hope that events like the demise of LAB would be beyond national demarcations.

aviateur

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:04 am

Someone would have to be in completely mad to fly in an airline such as LAB

That's an annoying comment. I discuss LAB in my book, actually, and have mentioned the company in my column many times.

"LAB is one of the world's oldest airlines, founded in 1925, and its routes ply the treacherous peaks of the Andes, in and out of La Paz, the planet's most highly situated commercial airport. Since 1969, LAB has suffered two fatal crashes on scheduled passenger runs, both of them turboprops, killing a total of 36 people. LAB, with a dozen or so planes, is not a major airline running thousands of daily departures, but two crashes in 34 years amidst jagged mountains and the hazards of the high altiplano, is outstanding."

- Patrick Smith
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

md90fan

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:24 am

Too bad.

I remember they were looking at flights to PUJ  tombstone 
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos