DeltaAVL
Topic Author

Flight Attendant Brings Gun On Plane

Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:41 am

Just saw this on CNN:

Apparently an off-duty flight attendant brought a concealed handgun through security and onto an airplane at ATL. She was "detained" at IAD.

No online source as of yet.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

travatl

RE: Flight Attendant Brings Gun On Plane

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:00 am

what airline?

DeltaAVL
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:09 am

Quoting Travatl (Reply 1):
what airline?

They didn't say, but either DL or UA I'm sure.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

tommybp251b

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:38 am

Hey Guys!

It doesn't really wonder me. I said to a friend some years ago after 9/11, while we were talking about the hig security at airports. That would be the perfect hijacking plan. Just make the Flight attendant education for three month and you have nearly free entry to an airplane and you will be a perfect terrorist. To me this new liquid thing is really anoying. Its also anoying that I don't have metal knives on a plane. If someone really plans it and is good at it, he can blew up or highjack everyplane he wants. I forsee, that one day we all have to fly naked or have to get naked before we go on a plane.  Wink

Okay, enough of dispute.  Smile Lets find out what's behind the news. Any online source yet.

Regards Tom
Tom from Cologne

kearney

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting TommyBP251b (Reply 3):
I forsee, that one day we all have to fly naked or have to get naked before we go on a plane.

Yeah baby im excited!!!...lol...but on a serious note, when it comes to security there are many leaks... and i suspect that 90% of criminal activity at an airport comes from airport employee's, or has a direct link involving one.

mdl412

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:56 am

The current security measures are better, but while everyone flying commercial is subject to them, it doesn't take much effort to charter a 747 full of fuel and do what you please with it...

DeltaAVL
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:59 am

OK, I've got a source. From CNN.com:

"United Airlines employee arrested for carrying gun on plane

(CNN) -- An off-duty United Airlines flight attendant carried a gun on a United Airlines flight from Atlanta and was arrested after landing at Washington Dulles International Airport on Friday, airport officials said.

Dulles authorities said the employee inadvertently brought the concealed handgun onboard but notified airport officials after landing, CNN affiliate WJLA reported.

TSA spokesman Barry Phelps said the employee was arrested before she went through the security checkpoint in Dulles. He would not identify her.

United Airlines told CNN one of their employees was arrested Friday but declined to further comment.

Phelps said TSA and FBI officials in Washington, D.C. would investigate the incident. (Posted 2:44 a.m.)"

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/03/31/saturday/index.html

[Edited 2007-03-31 20:03:09]

avt007

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:44 am

How do you "inadvertently" bring a concealed weapon anywhere? If someone is so blase and careless with a handgun, they should not be allowed to own one in the first place. And the obvious question is, how the heck did she get it on the aircraft in the first place?

[Edited 2007-03-31 20:45:37]

SHUPirate1

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 6):
OK, I've got a source. From CNN.com:

"United Airlines employee arrested for carrying gun on plane

(CNN) -- An off-duty United Airlines flight attendant carried a gun on a United Airlines flight from Atlanta and was arrested after landing at Washington Dulles International Airport on Friday, airport officials said.

Can I call CNN on the carpet on the basis that United Airlines does not fly ATL-IAD (it would have been either a Shuttle America or Mesa flight, doing business as United Express)?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

stlgph

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 8):
Can I call CNN on the carpet on the basis that United Airlines does not fly ATL-IAD (it would have been either a Shuttle America or Mesa flight, doing business as United Express)?

no.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

DeltaAVL
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 7):
How do you "inadvertently" bring a concealed weapon anywhere? If someone is so blase and careless with a handgun, they should not be allowed to own one in the first place. And the obvious question is, how the heck did she get it on the aircraft in the first place?

Yeah. If it was some small regional airport maybe I'd be a little less concerned, but at ATL? No. It's definitely not supposed to happen. Flight attendants aren't even allowed to have hand guns when they're working, are they?

no.

pacifica

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:59 am

obviously by United Airlines they are refering to mainline as well as any and all associated regional partners flying under the banner. quite frankly the average person doesn't know the difference between United Express operated by Mesa and United Airlines, so from a reporting perspective it's better to explain it in a way that people can understand. (no point in having everyone watching the news go "Mesa? I've never heard of them before...")

mtnwest1979

Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:23 am

If I was the one who 'inadvertantly' took a gun through security , I sure as hell wouldn't say anything afterwards.

Just make the Flight attendant education for three month and you have nearly free entry to an airplane and you will be a perfect terrorist.

Don't know what you are trying to say, but f/a s go thru the same 'wonderful' airport security as any other person flying on an airliner, as far as I see.

Not like 'the good ol' days' when they could just skirt around it like a former USAir f/a in California.

And if one was really intent, with as much $$ as some groups have, just start your own airline and go from there.

[Edited 2007-04-01 00:24:53]
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

iairallie

Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:56 am

At almost all airports working crew and off duty crew have to go through regular passenger screening. We are exempt from the liquids ban when in uniform though (too impractical for crew to check bags when you have frequent aircraft swaps throughout your workday.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

MCOflyer

Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:17 am

Will she be fired?

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

floridaflyboy

Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 14):
Will she be fired?

MCOflyer

I would imagine the answer to that one is yes.
Good goes around!

style

Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 13):
We are exempt from the liquids ban when in uniform though

This is another one that amazes me. So you ban PAX and other employees from bringing liquids through but you allow flight crews to go through with them. In essence what TSA is doing here is saying that they trust crew with liquids but don't trust them when it comes to other objects. Why even bother screening the crew if you are going to make exceptions like these to the rules.

TSA is the biggest joke in the world.

MCOflyer

Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 15):
I would imagine the answer to that one is yes.

Ok. Couldn't she have checked it in?

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

floridaflyboy

Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 17):

MCOflyer

If you mean checked the gun as luggage, then I would imagine the answer would be yes, but she has to declare it at check-in and have it go as actual checked luggage. From the sounds of the report, she didn't do either.
Good goes around!

SHUPirate1

Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting Travatl (Reply 1):
what airline?

Shuttle America. Janet Tucker was a 45-year old flight attendant (presumably mainline, although I could be wrong here), flying in uniform (presumably commuting) on United Express Flight 7591, operated by Shuttle America Friday morning.

NASBWI

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:05 am

Quoting Style (Reply 16):
So you ban PAX and other employees from bringing liquids through but you allow flight crews to go through with them. In essence what TSA is doing here is saying that they trust crew with liquids but don't trust them when it comes to other objects.

You would have to look at the bigger picture here - especially in terms of economics with respect to flight and inflight crews. Even the most frequent flier doesn't fly as much, or (to be more specific) go through security as much. Considering that we are (generally) hygenic humans, we can't afford to *constantly* re-purchase deodorant, toothpaste, and other products that are banned elsewhere. So when it comes to daily necessities, we are exempt. However, exactly how many flight attendants worldwide are trying to smuggle firearms (deliberately or otherwise) onto an airplane? Ahhhh....
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

georgiaame

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:21 am

And here I'm feeling guilty about smuggling an extra 1oz container of shampoo outside of my 1 quart zip lock. (TSA in Atlanta doesn't seem to catch it; now I can see why...)

I've said it before, I'll say it again. There is no security on the ground. It is all show, and how and why we haven't had a disaster since 9-11 is totally beyond me. Of course, what that ditz was trying to prove is also totally beyond comprehension. Firing her is not the answer. Drawing and quartering her in public might be a good start, however.

Quoting MDL412 (Reply 5):
it doesn't take much effort to charter a 747 full of fuel and do what you please with it...

Why waste the money? You want to kill scores of people and shut down flying for a while? Buy a rifle, figure out when your local international airport gets the worse backed up crowds BEFORE entering security, and go for it. "Security" guarantees that they are sitting ducks. Thank you Norman Minetta.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

LASoctoberB6

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:30 am

the TSA at its best....
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

Max Q

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:32 am

Hard to believe the experts at the TSA could miss somthing as ambiguous as a....gun.

Perhaps they were too busy confiscating someones deodorant.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

DeltaAVL
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 23):
experts at the TSA

rotfl 

ltbewr

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:37 am

I would suspect that the TSA isn't as critical in their procedures with flight crews or even off-duty flight crews, figuring such airline persons should already know the rules and will get fired by their airline if they don't. Still, that is totally wrong and unacceptable. Recently we have had cases of drug smuggling by flight crews, reinforcing my view that the TSA gives flight crews too much weak of a security check.

NASBWI

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 21):
Buy a rifle, figure out when your local international airport gets the worse backed up crowds BEFORE entering security, and go for it. "Security" guarantees that they are sitting ducks. Thank you Norman Minetta.

I see the point you're trying to make, but what would be your alternative? Busy period or not, security is security. And there's always going to be an element of risk, regardless of what stage of travel you're in. Whether it's getting into your car to get to the airport, or getting out of your car at the airport, or checking in (someone could go crazy with a rifle at the checkin kiosks), or entering TSA...where does one draw the line at security? Obviously, it's not economical (or at this time, necessary) to have TSA-esque entities screening every move we make in our daily lives. Therefore, with respect to air travel, the best-case scenario to provide protection would be the last place you'll need security: TSA screening right before the gates.
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

ATCme

Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 14):
Will she be fired?

Did you even need to ask...

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 21):
It is all show, and how and why we haven't had a disaster since 9-11 is totally beyond me.

I agree it's a show: they're either really good at acting like bumbling fools or are ones...

Perhaps they were too busy confiscating someones deodorant.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

The liquid ban discussion reminds me of the early stages of the ban; where controllers couldn't leave the tower but also couldn't bring their lunch. Here's the story.

ATCme spin 
I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help. Really. Yes I'm serious, I'm here to help you.

n318ea

Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:16 pm

Maybe she worked P/T for Jim Webb??
With todays salaries I'm suprised she could afford to buy a gun.

[Edited 2007-04-01 13:19:40]

[Edited 2007-04-01 13:20:00]
Red Red Red Red Red Neck!

lostturttle

Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:23 pm

This is not a matter to be taken lightly, and if it was an "accident" then something is really wrong with our security!.

Quite a few cases in which weapons have been taken on board flights and have ended in tragedy

A very good post on this site.

http://www.airliners.net/articles/read.main?id=20

And the very tragic story of PSA's flight 1771

PSA_Flight_1771" target=_blank>http://www.search.com/reference/PSA_Flight_1771

georgiaame

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting NASBWI (Reply 26):
I see the point you're trying to make, but what would be your alternative

Anything that allows hoards of people to back up in a crowd in a open access area is much riskier than the screening process. We agree here that secutity doesn't work. Adding the 1 bag liquid rule slows up the process. We agree that more and more CHECKED baggage is lost daily, so people CARRY bags on board slowing the process. And the icing on the cake, which no one talks about, is that with the hassles of flying since 9-11, more people are driving the short distance runs, more people are killed driving those short runs annually than have ever gotten killed in the air. So what is left? They look for guns, but can't find them. They look for shampoo which is harmless, based on a single inflight incident, which is worthless, they set me up on Saturday mornings in Atlanta to get shot by (censored)-Fascist with a gun before security, and now demand to see MY passport when I return (by air only) from that hot bed of terrorist activity on our Northern Border, Canada.

My friends, this is not security. It is politically correct madness, and the other side is winning, not us.

My suggestion: stop the wanding for metal. Use the metal detectors, screen out ie racially profile, those who go bleep. I will accept the risk that old Swedish grandmothers and infants in strollers present. More, not less screening of hand luggage. Screen up front, and screen at the gate also. Immunize airlines from racially motivated law suits: let the trouble makers know from the start that if they are bumped off the plane because the passengers are scared witless, they don't have a court case. Figure out how to get check baggage to the right aircraft, to the right collection area, and guarantee that you have pickup within 15 minutes. In otherwords, get more stuff into the hold so there is less in the cabin.

I know, it can't be done.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

SLCUT2777

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:45 pm

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 7):

Back in 1996, the NFL Dallas Cowboys Head Coach Barry Switzer (former Oklahoma Sooners coach 1973-88) got nailed in the security line at DFW for having a concealed .38 in his carry-on bag. Of course they let him off as an "inadvertent" mistake, but you sure couldn't help but ask yourself how stupid some people can or could be. One thing you should keep in mind that the U.S. is loaded with people who think they have a right to own any weapon, despite the fact the the Constitutional Bill of Rights was written back in 1789 when flint-lock muzzle loading weapons were the most advanced technology. Now nearly 220 years later look what we have: Uzis, Mack-10's...you name it!
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

Queso

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 31):
One thing you should keep in mind that the U.S. is loaded with people who think they have a right to own any weapon, despite the fact the the Constitutional Bill of Rights was written back in 1789 when flint-lock muzzle loading weapons were the most advanced technology. Now nearly 220 years later look what we have: Uzis, Mack-10's...you name it!

Save it for non-av.

DIJKKIJK

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:04 am

That would be the perfect hijacking plan. Just make the Flight attendant education for three month and you have nearly free entry to an airplane and you will be a perfect terrorist.

Nothing new there. Dont you remember the Air France A300 which got hijacked to entebbe in the 1970s, in which Israeli commandos had to rescue the passengers. One of the hijackers had actually managed to sneak in as an Air France FA.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

cschleic

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:07 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 9):

no.

Agreed. The airlines want "seamless" travel, easy connections, single branding with mainline to regional/express partners, and passengers to think of the mainline carrier when traveling. But they always try to blame it on the local carrier when something goes wrong. Sorry guys, they can't have it both ways. It's a two way street. Their name and colors are on the regional plane, it's their code on the ticket, it's their name in the public's mind. Perception is reality regardless of legal differences.

OHLHD

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:16 am

I forsee, that one day we all have to fly naked or have to get naked before we go on a plane.

Quoting Kearney (Reply 4):
Yeah baby im excited!!!...lol...

I just flew from VIE to OSL and hell yeah the girl on the left side was a stunner but the guy on the right side.... no thanks dont want to see him naked! Big grin

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 13):
We are exempt from the liquids ban when in uniform though (too impractical for crew to check bags when you have frequent aircraft swaps throughout your workday.

When going through security at VIE I saw a dead head crew walking to the fastlane and they were asked if they were operating or dead heading. They said dead heading and than they were checked for liquids.... don't know if this is normal.

the experts at the TSA

Big grin Fantastic!

BTW they did neither at VIE nor at OSL see that my liquids ( toothpaste and deodorant) were not in a plastic bag, despite the control was quite tight at OSL!!!  Smile

OPNLguy

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 6):
Dulles authorities said the employee inadvertently brought the concealed handgun onboard but notified airport officials after landing, CNN affiliate WJLA reported.

TSA spokesman Barry Phelps said the employee was arrested before she went through the security checkpoint in Dulles. He would not identify her.

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 12):
If I was the one who 'inadvertantly' took a gun through security , I sure as hell wouldn't say anything afterwards.

Well, it certainly appears that she tried to do the right thing afterwards. Personally, I think it'd be a shame if she lost her job over it. Her owning up to it afterwards (in lieu of keeping silent) would seem to deuse any possible "intent" claim.

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 12):
Not like 'the good ol' days' when they could just skirt around it like a former USAir f/a in California.

That was a ramper, and not an F/A on US 1771, but your point is unchanged...

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 17):

Sure she could have, IF she'd realized beforehand that she had it with her.

About a week after 9/11, just days after the industry started flying again, a friend of mine took a flight so that he could pick-up a relative's car and drive it back. He later told me that once his flight got there, he realized that he had a foldable-knife with a 4-inch blade in his laptop bag. He'd forgotten to take it out, yet security didn't detect it. Now, admittedly, a gun is something something that one should be more aware of location-wise, but then again, maybe the F/A didn't have kids or wasn't around them such that extra safety precautions were warranted. Bottomline is that people make mistakes, and I don't think she should be penalized (i.e. having the book thrown at her) especially since she owned up to it once she realized it.

To me, the much more serious and relevant issue is how the hell the weapon got through security...

[Edited 2007-04-01 18:37:09]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

mtnwest1979

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 36):

That was a ramper, and not an F/A on US 1771, but your point is unchanged...

Oh, I was always under the impression he was off duty FA. Tahnkd for settin' me straight.  Smile
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

DeltaAVL
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 35):

BTW they did neither at VIE nor at OSL see that my liquids ( toothpaste and deodorant) were not in a plastic bag, despite the control was quite tight at OSL!!!

I think the TSA may have finally learned that it's hard as hell to get a liquid back into the toothpaste bottle. It probably saves them a lot of time not having to confiscate every little thing that's obviously not a hazard.

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 36):
To me, the much more serious and relevant issue is how the hell the weapon got through security...

True, and therefore I think it was fantastic that she notified authorities. Nobody would have ever found out about this if she hadn't, and now security may get an extra look because she did. Good decision on her part, even if she does lose her job. Which she shouldn't.

jetjack74

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:34 am

When going through security at VIE I saw a dead head crew walking to the fastlane and they were asked if they were operating or dead heading. They said dead heading and than they were checked for liquids.... don't know if this is normal.

Here in the US, we're still exempt if we're commuting, deadheading so on, and so on at least according to the las security directive we recieved. That could change. But anyway, expect another gross overreaction by the TSA. They screw up, we pay the ultimate price.
Made from jets!

iairallie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 39):

No, it is not normal. Deadheading is company business and you may be deadheading into a working flight so checking bags is not an option. Now if they asked "are you on duty" that would be routine.

SHUPirate1

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:51 pm

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 37):
Oh, I was always under the impression he was off duty FA. Tahnkd for settin' me straight.

He was a just-fired customer service representative, fired from stealing $68 from a drink fund set up by the flight attendants, and used his credentials as an airline employee to bypass security. A federal law was immediately passed requiring the immediate seizure of all airline employee credentials upon termination from an airline position.

http://www.airdisaster.com/special/special-pa1771.shtml

jetjack74

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:55 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 40):
No, it is not normal. Deadheading is company business and you may be deadheading into a working flight so checking bags is not an option. Now if they asked "are you on duty" that would be routine.

For us at NW, we're still subject to gate screening if we're on a DH segment, but the liquid ban we're still exempt.
Made from jets!

iairallie

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 42):

For us at NW, we're still subject to gate screening if we're on a DH segment, but the liquid ban we're still exempt.

I was refering to the liquids ban only not gate screening see below...

They said dead heading and than they were checked for liquids.... don't know if this is normal.