md90fan

CM To Punta Cana

Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:30 am

Some of my Dominican friends told me that CM will commence service to PUJ (Punta Cana, D.R). Apparently this route will be done with the aid of hotels, which are plentiful in the region. Any other details?

Anyways I think this route was more ideal for the E-190, but the 73G is a plus. Considering the D.R will receive 4.3 million tourists a year and Punta Cana is by far the largest resort in the D.R, Copa was smart to join the big boys serving PUJ  checkmark 

Quote:

CM 408 37 PTY PUJ 0955 1336 0 15JUL07 --- 73G 2:41
CM 409 37 PUJ PTY 1735 1924 0 15JUL07 --- 73G 2:49
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

CALMSP

RE: CM To Punta Cana

Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:22 am

i just wish we could have been able to sustain our IAH-PUJ route  Sad

LAXdude1023

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:46 am

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 1):
i just wish we could have been able to sustain our IAH-PUJ route

Thats curious to me. CO sustains some pretty obscure routes from IAH-Carribean (BON for example). I wonder why PUJ just didnt work.
It is what it is...

TACAA320

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 2):
CO sustains some pretty obscure routes from IAH-Carribean (BON for example).

pretty obscure?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

md90fan

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:02 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 2):
Thats curious to me. CO sustains some pretty obscure routes from IAH-Carribean (BON for example). I wonder why PUJ just didnt work.

Bonaire is a niche market in the Caribbean that is popular with divers. Their schedule is even suited for divers.

Punta Cana on the other hand is mega-Dominican resort that is teeming with capacity.

LAXdude1023

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 4):
Bonaire is a niche market in the Caribbean that is popular with divers. Their schedule is even suited for divers.

Ahh, I wasnt sure. I know the service is only weekly, maybe they should do it at least twice weekly. I think it might attract more people if they had another option.

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 4):
Punta Cana on the other hand is mega-Dominican resort that is teeming with capacity.

This is also true. I always thought they should have more service to AUA, MBJ and PUJ (before they shut it down). I also would think they should fly to SDQ and SXM from IAH, but they dont. Oh well, Houstonians still have plenty of options to the carribiean with CO!!
It is what it is...

luisca

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:05 am

could it be just a charter flight? seasonal or something?

it seems they would start with a E90 instead of a 73G for this route. Anyway this must mean some route will be downgraded from 73G to E90 since CM has not recieved any new 737s for a while now.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

md90fan

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting Luisca (Reply 6):
could it be just a charter flight? seasonal or something?

No. It's scheduled, once a week that is. It is done in cooperation with local tour operators.

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 5):
This is also true. I always thought they should have more service to AUA, MBJ and PUJ (before they shut it down). I also would think they should fly to SDQ and SXM from IAH, but they dont. Oh well, Houstonians still have plenty of options to the carribiean with CO!!

Well, I'm not surprised the once weekly IAH-PUJ is no longer with us. Even though IAH is west of the Mississippi, PUJ has flights from most of the major airports along the Eastern Seaboard and Charters to many places,In addition to the fact that tourists from the Western states vacation in Mexico/Hawaii before PUJ. IAH just wasn't cutting it, especially once a week when other airlines have way more attractive/favorable schedules.

TACAA320

Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 7):

No. It's scheduled, once a week that is.

Wow!
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

andahuailas

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:08 am

Guadalajara is also loaded in the reservation systems, with 5 a week service on the 190s.

aa1818

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:57 am

When is POS going to be added???????

Totally Tropical
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

TACAA320

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:57 pm

Quoting Andahuailas (Reply 9):
Guadalajara is also loaded in the reservation systems, with 5 a week service on the 190s.

Quoting MD90fan (Thread starter):
Some of my Dominican friends told me that CM will commence service to PUJ (Punta Cana, D.R). Apparently this route will be done with the aid of hotels, which are plentiful in the region. Any other details?

Can't find Guadalajara nor PUJ at their website.

2travel2know

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:41 am

As of why of that CM once weekly PTY-PUJ flight, starting in July, It seems to me to be that's to connect with a incoming charter from Europe.
Southamericans and Canadians do take one-week holidays but that's between December and early April. Panamanians aren't know to take one-week holidays to the Caribbean, for us it's often 3nights/4days, it doesn't matter that much what season.
But for Europeans (read Spaniards, Italians, Germans and British) they travel heavily from the Northern Hemisphere in July since it's the holiday month.
CM has that "scheduled charter" flight on their reservation system to get sell some extra seats thru their PTY hub at much higher airfares than those given to the Touroperators which contracted the PUJ flights.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

carmenlu15

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:04 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 11):
Can't find Guadalajara nor PUJ at their website.

Both flights are already loaded in Amadeus, starting July...
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

md90fan

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:09 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 10):
When is POS going to be added???????

Whenever CM stops lolligagging  boggled 

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 12):
As of why of that CM once weekly PTY-PUJ flight, starting in July, It seems to me to be that's to connect with a incoming charter from Europe.
Southamericans and Canadians do take one-week holidays but that's between December and early April. Panamanians aren't know to take one-week holidays to the Caribbean, for us it's often 3nights/4days, it doesn't matter that much what season.
But for Europeans (read Spaniards, Italians, Germans and British) they travel heavily from the Northern Hemisphere in July since it's the holiday month.
CM has that "scheduled charter" flight on their reservation system to get sell some extra seats thru their PTY hub at much higher airfares than those given to the Touroperators which contracted the PUJ flights

It's a regular flight, just that it's done with tour operators from the Bavaro region. Also CM will have no problem pulling this is off, especially with the revised hub schedules (It's one of the Caribbean's most popular resorts!).

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 13):
Both flights are already loaded in Amadeus, starting July...

Thank you Carmenlu15!

checkeredflag 

2travel2know

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 14):
It's a regular flight, just that it's done with tour operators from the Bavaro region. Also CM will have no problem pulling this is off, especially with the revised hub schedules (It's one of the Caribbean's most popular resorts!).

I would have guessed that CM has already been approached by Touropeators and Hotels from several Caribbean Leisure destinations and even FOR and SSA in Brazil.
When I've been in SSA, the hoteliers keep wishing CM would fly overthere..
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

luisca

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 15):
would have guessed that CM has already been approached by Touropeators and Hotels from several Caribbean Leisure destinations and even FOR and SSA in Brazil.
When I've been in SSA, the hoteliers keep wishing CM would fly overthere..

Brazil is maxed out in terms of route authorities, a new Panama-Brazil bilateral would be needed. I think we will most likely see Varig launch service to Panama soon after the acquisition is completed. Gol has good relations with CM and I think we will see Gol/Varig join Skyteam in the future.

BTW, Apparently Panama will require tourist Visas for Colombian, Peruvian, Ecuadorian and Bolivian citizens in the near future, since illegal immigration is becoming a huge problem in Panama. How will this affect CM's Colombia routes which are heavy on O&D traffic?. Colombia is Panama's second largest source of tourist after the US.

Also Panama is close to signing a new bilateral with Colombia, CM could announce 4 daily flights to all Colombian destinations soon if everything gets approved, but with the possible Visa requirements how do you think this would be affected.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!